Terminator 2 3D to close October 8th

The Empress Lilly

Maybe I'm the only one...but in visiting the park today, I realized I'm not much of a fan of USF anymore...the 2000 version of the park is definitely my favorite: Terminator, Kong, Back to the Future, Twister, Earthquake, ET, MIB, Jaws, Hitchcock, and Hanna Barberra...
Loved that lineup. While the park is still GOOD today, the only things I really look forward to in the park now are Mummy, MIB, ET, and Transformers. Diagon is awesome, but I'd still pick Jaws over Gringotts.

Here's truly hoping that whatever replaces Terminator really builds up this area of the park. USF still has a bright future ahead with SLOP, MoM, and Nintendo...
I don't think USF has improved either.

The lake looks cluttered nowadays, the Simpsons area is fun not an improvement over what was there before. But the ride's riot. Love it! Transformers I simply dislike as a franchise and as a ride it feels redundant next to Spidey. Blasphemy: I don't rate Gringotts and think Diagon Alley is an ugly claustrophobic mess. I'm not really a pothead so to be honest I didn't need Potter to sprawl beyond IoA to begin with. I didn't need to see T2 go either.

I am, however, a big fan of RRR and enjoy Fallon too - I don't understand the flack both get.

JoeCamel

Completely agree...I posted on what was OU a while back saying the same....the park is worse than it was in 2000. Individually good rides, but too much of the same. It loses its appeal quick and is the park I spent the least time in out of every park in Orlando. I love the Mummy but I crave the good old days of Jaws, Kong, Earthquake/Disaster...I really think they’ve lost what made the place so great and it’ll take more than promises of what may or may not come before I change my mind. They’ve done damage which will take atleast 5 years for them to repair (attendance numbers suggests otherwise, but it’s my own personal feelings)

The lake looks cluttered nowadays, the Simpsons area is fun not an improvement over what was there before. But the ride's riot. Love it! Transformers I simply dislike as a franchise and as a ride it feels redundant next to Spidey. Blasphemy: I don't rate Gringotts and think Diagon Alley is an ugly claustrophobic mess. I'm not really a pothead so to be honest I didn't need Potter to sprawl beyond IoA to begin with. I didn't need to see T2 go either.

I am, however, a big fan of RRR and enjoy Fallon too - I don't understand the flack both get.

Whatever they replace it with, it better have something as cool as the motorcycle coming off screen, coming onstage, then driving back into the screen. Seriously loved that effect.

Just stay tuned, the park is gong through big changes (Thanks D23) and will be better in the future.

I am looking to have several APs in 2020 - 2021 and spend lots of time driving up I-4.

Timekeeper

Isn't the correct term "potterhead"? :cautious:

Whatever they replace it with, it better have something as cool as the motorcycle coming off screen, coming onstage, then driving back into the screen. Seriously loved that effect.

The screen mechanics are shown starting at 4:00 min into the video:

brb1006

Completely agree...I posted on what was OU a while back saying the same....the park is worse than it was in 2000. Individually good rides, but too much of the same. It loses its appeal quick and is the park I spent the least time in out of every park in Orlando. I love the Mummy but I crave the good old days of Jaws, Kong, Earthquake/Disaster...I really think they’ve lost what made the place so great and it’ll take more than promises of what may or may not come before I change my mind. They’ve done damage which will take atleast 5 years for them to repair (attendance numbers suggests otherwise, but it’s my own personal feelings)
At least Orlando's park has more attractions to do compared to Hollywood.

brb1006

Just stay tuned, the park is gong through big changes (Thanks D23) and will be better in the future.

I am looking to have several APs in 2020 - 2021 and spend lots of time driving up I-4.
I'm sure Universal will step up their game once Galaxy's Edge finally opens.

JT3000

Diagon Alley is an ugly mess? o_O It's the pinnacle of detail in themed environments, at least domestically. And I don't understand how Springfield could be anything but an improvement, unless you're a flag pole enthusiast, because that and a gray, themeless building are literally all that was there before.

USF is currently lacking character somewhat, mainly due to the absence of classic attractions, or even older attractions in general. The oversaturation of 3D is also a problem. But I still think it's a much better park today than it was back in the early 2000s. USF was easily one of my least favorite parks at the time. I would go to Universal for IOA, and if I managed to have fun at USF, it was a bonus. They've definitely removed a few things that didn't need to be removed, but even in those cases we've usually seen an improvement of some sort in the replacement. Very rarely has the park actually seen a regression in quality IMO. They should've been focusing on providing more variety in their experiences, but it's still possible to reign in that problem to some degree. Replacing Terminator is possibly the beginning of that.

Speaking of which, T2:3D was a groundbreaking attraction and a cherished mainstay of the park, but after my experience yesterday, I'm convinced it was time for it to go. There was no way of bringing it up to the standards found elsewhere in the park save for a complete overhaul, which probably wouldn't have done anything for attendance. It wasn't even attracting a particularly large number of people on its final day of operation. It has its fans, but much like the Terminator film series, the interest from the GP wasn't there anymore.

macefamily

Glad to say that our family had one last chance to experience T2:3D last month. To be honest, we didn't go onto the ride for three or four of our last trips, but we made it a point to give it one last ride. I liked it. Sad to see one of the old rides go.

The Empress Lilly

Diagon Alley is an ugly mess? o_O It's the pinnacle of detail in themed environments.
These two don't exclude one another. DA is the pinnacle of detail, and it is also an ugly claustrophobic mess.

Hogsmeade by contrast is the pinnacle of UNI. :)

Personally, I used to prefer USF over IOA, but gradually this changed. I preferred USF because it was the prettier of the two, I love it's cityscapes. But rides wise IOA now has the advantage, and the pretty-gap narowed over time.
The closure of my beloved two dragons and the upcoming replacement of two screen attractions at USF might move USF to top spot again.

BTTF wasn't unthemed. It was themed to the World Expo, like MiB. Gorgeous architecture, both of them, and also the rest of the land, that complements beautifully USF's library of American cityscapes. (As opposed to intrude on it like Springfield and London)

worldexpo.jpg

JoeCamel

These two don't exclude one another. DA is the pinnacle of detail, and it is also an ugly claustrophobic mess.

Hogsmeade by contrast is the pinnacle of UNI. :)

Personally, I used to prefer USF over IOA, but gradually this changed. I preferred USF because it was the prettier of the two, I love it's cityscapes. But rides wise IOA now has the advantage, and the pretty-gap narowed over time.
The closure of my beloved two dragons and the upcoming replacement of two screen attractions at USF might move USF to top spot again.

BTTF wasn't unthemed. It was themed to the World Expo, like MiB. Gorgeous architecture, both of them, and also the rest of the land, that complements beautifully USF's library of American cityscapes. (As opposed to intrude on it like Springfield and London)

worldexpo.jpg
For DA I think you need to go to the source material. View the first movie and see if you can spot any difference between what you walk into and the one on the screen that Harry walks into. The one on the screen is MORE claustrophobic if anything.
It is an amazing experience for fans and true to what Jo imagined so that is what was built.
Just like walking into the movies which, after all, is the premise of the studios.

Last edited:

rd805

Diagon Alley is an ugly mess? o_O It's the pinnacle of detail in themed environments, at least domestically. And I don't understand how Springfield could be anything but an improvement, unless you're a flag pole enthusiast, because that and a gray, themeless building are literally all that was there before.

USF is currently lacking character somewhat, mainly due to the absence of classic attractions, or even older attractions in general. The oversaturation of 3D is also a problem. But I still think it's a much better park today than it was back in the early 2000s. USF was easily one of my least favorite parks at the time. I would go to Universal for IOA, and if I managed to have fun at USF, it was a bonus. They've definitely removed a few things that didn't need to be removed, but even in those cases we've usually seen an improvement of some sort in the replacement. Very rarely has the park actually seen a regression in quality IMO. They should've been focusing on providing more variety in their experiences, but it's still possible to reign in that problem to some degree. Replacing Terminator is possibly the beginning of that.

Speaking of which, T2:3D was a groundbreaking attraction and a cherished mainstay of the park, but after my experience yesterday, I'm convinced it was time for it to go. There was no way of bringing it up to the standards found elsewhere in the park save for a complete overhaul, which probably wouldn't have done anything for attendance. It wasn't even attracting a particularly large number of people on its final day of operation. It has its fans, but much like the Terminator film series, the interest from the GP wasn't there anymore.

Diagon Alley is a smash -- Gringott's is an amazing experience too.
Jaws and the Original King Kong were excellent too though... so I understand.
I skipped out on RRR my last trip (lines), and in December i'll have my first time on Jimmy... (I'm sure i'll love it).

I love USF -- hopefully NIntendo Land the the Harry Potter takeover of Fear Factor Live go quick ;).

rd805

Glad to say that our family had one last chance to experience T2:3D last month. To be honest, we didn't go onto the ride for three or four of our last trips, but we made it a point to give it one last ride. I liked it. Sad to see one of the old rides go.

I'll miss it one last time, but it was always my fav "3D show" in Orlando.

c-one

I just remembered the time Six Flags tried to pick up the baton of Terminator theme park rides with the prequel by building...a wooden coaster. The mind boggles.

c-one

I am going with Bond using this ride system.

Honestly, I don't see the point of this ride system. It's my least favorite type of simulator and a few physical sets doesn't solve that. It would fit in with Universal's philosophy of cramming in as many different types of screen-based simulator ride as they can collect, though.

bclane

I just remembered the time Six Flags tried to pick up the baton of Terminator theme park rides with the prequel by building...a wooden coaster. The mind boggles.
Yeah that was weird. But the roller coaster itself was actually a lot of fun!

JoeCamel

Honestly, I don't see the point of this ride system. It's my least favorite type of simulator and a few physical sets doesn't solve that. It would fit in with Universal's philosophy of cramming in as many different types of screen-based simulator ride as they can collect, though.
Too bad you have that view. Stop by in a couple of years and get some relief from all the screens at WDW

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom