Terminator 2 3D to close October 8th

BrianLo

Too bad you have that view. Stop by in a couple of years and get some relief from all the screens at WDW

The issue remains more one of variety. I realize WDW is dumping in quite a few of the same attractions that Uni has, but many parks aren't duplicating experiences they already have. The two exception to that with D23 include Millennium Falcon (Star Tours can't be long for this world) and Tron - which actually isn't a screen-simulator. I think Uni stripped one too many different attractions along the way and homogenized just a bit too much. They made one too many improvements until they actually lost something along the way...

On paper Fallon is better than Twister, but you lost a practical effect theatre show for another simulator.
On paper Transformers is better than the live stage show, but now you have none.
Diagon Alley is the pinnacle, but sucks that an excellent headliner practical boat ride was the sacrifice.

I think the one-two punch of Disaster/Beetlejuice really was the mistake though for what on paper is actually a downgrade.

It's not that I'm opposed to Fallon for example, but it needed to take out Shrek, Despicable Me or Simpsons for the sake of variety. It honestly feels like no one has been a steward of the Universal parks. No one stopped to say hey, this park needs x/y. Instead it's felt like a repetition of people like attraction z, let's do it again because they like that so much. All well and good until the park is a homogenous blob. The only Dis park that suffers from this problem is Epcot and that's one of many reasons I think its identity is so screwy.

I'm still fearful for ET, the park really truly needs ET. Not that Nintendo won't be a major improvement in all regards, but I don't think the park can keep trashing everything old/different.

JoeCamel

The issue remains more one of variety. I realize WDW is dumping in quite a few of the same attractions that Uni has, but many parks aren't duplicating experiences they already have. The two exception to that with D23 include Millennium Falcon (Star Tours can't be long for this world) and Tron - which actually isn't a screen-simulator. I think Uni stripped one too many different attractions along the way and homogenized just a bit too much. They made one too many improvements until they actually lost something along the way...

On paper Fallon is better than Twister, but you lost a practical effect theatre show for another simulator.
On paper Transformers is better than the live stage show, but now you have none.
Diagon Alley is the pinnacle, but sucks that an excellent headliner practical boat ride was the sacrifice.

I think the one-two punch of Disaster/Beetlejuice really was the mistake though for what on paper is actually a downgrade.

It's not that I'm opposed to Fallon for example, but it needed to take out Shrek, Despicable Me or Simpsons for the sake of variety. It honestly feels like no one has been a steward of the Universal parks. No one stopped to say hey, this park needs x/y. Instead it's felt like a repetition of people like attraction z, let's do it again because they like that so much. All well and good until the park is a homogenous blob. The only Dis park that suffers from this problem is Epcot and that's one of many reasons I think its identity is so screwy.

I'm still fearful for ET, the park really truly needs ET. Not that Nintendo won't be a major improvement in all regards, but I don't think the park can keep trashing everything old/different.
But in a couple of years it will be a different mix

Timekeeper

Cyber Image is still open and the interior of the store remains untouched. Some of the Terminator items that had sold out at attraction closing are back in stock, except for the notable "leather" jackets and "farewell" t-shirts.

former_cyberdyne_systems.jpg

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Update on this project for everyone- major work is going on to demolish and expand the theater:

http://orlparkpass.com/2018/11/photo-update-major-demolition-expansion-at-terminator-23-d/
That's where they're at after 13 months?
Project was delayed, so the building went untouched for a while.
Or he work is more extensive than people might guess.
Or, they blocked out the show to see what stunts will work and then locked it down so the set/stage could be built to match the show?

OG Runner

Two I can think of without being an insider are
1. Dated IP
2. Recently failed sequel (remember that movie? Wasn't too long ago!)

Disney still has the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. (Dated IP & Recently failed sequel)
The show itself, however, is still appealing to guests. Was the attendance bad for T2 3D?

lebeau

Disney still has the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. (Dated IP & Recently failed sequel)
The show itself, however, is still appealing to guests. Was the attendance bad for T2 3D?

For what it's worth, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was not a failure. At least not commercially. It even got good reviews when it was released. Creatively? Yeah, it's bad. But really, all the Indy sequels were mediocre at best. Terminator hasn't had a solid hit since 1991. All the Indy movies have performed well at the box office.

The real issue is cultural relevance. Indy may be old, but he's still relevant. T2, not so much.

Having said that, I don't think IP matters all that much. I love the Mummy, but I never cared for the movie it was based on. For a 3-D movie/show, it probably matters more. And 3-D movies in general are less impressive than they were when T2 3-D opened. I have to go out of my way to avoid seeing a movie in 3-D these days. Back then, it was still somewhat novel.

JoeCamel

Do you know what reasons?

Yes, DH answered your question. It was not a good show at the end and to fix it would have cost money which was not available due to the plans to replace the show. Close it, be done, use the cast in the new show, remodel the space.

The show had some serious tech issues that were drastically effecting the 3D imagery. It was going to be really expensive to fix. So they killed the show in favor of a new offering

OG Runner

Yes, DH answered your question. It was not a good show at the end and to fix it would have cost money which was not available due to the plans to replace the show. Close it, be done, use the cast in the new show, remodel the space.

Thanks, that certainly makes sense. I wish they had started the refit for the new show sooner. It is great to see it is seriously moving forward now.

JoeCamel

Thanks, that certainly makes sense. I wish they had started the refit for the new show sooner. It is great to see it is seriously moving forward now.
Until they have the show blocked and the stunts worked out it is hard to know what needs to be built. Better to wait for as much info as possible rather than having to change something that is built already. Blank canvas this way.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Two I can think of without being an insider are
1. Dated IP
2. Recently failed sequel (remember that movie? Wasn't too long ago!)

This is the same park that has an attractions for ET and a Barney show. I don’t think dated IP was a problem. They simply didn't want to go to the expense to fix the show. A shame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom