Terminally ill and need scooter

Bryant072461

I have ALS and am in need of a scooter! I am taking my daughter who couldn’t be with us for Christmas week of 2017. I don’t want to take the bus but may have to if I can’t get a scooter at the park. Can anyone help?
I want to be able to get around but just can’t walk to well. I would appreciate any help in this my final trip. Thank you!!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I have ALS and am in need of a scooter! I am taking my daughter who couldn’t be with us for Christmas week of 2017. I don’t want to take the bus but may have to if I can’t get a scooter at the park. Can anyone help?
I want to be able to get around but just can’t walk to well. I would appreciate any help in this my final trip. Thank you!!
If you are staying on property rent a scooter beforehand from one of the numerous companies (we always use walker). They will deliver it and pick it up from your resort at the end of your stay. This will cut down on your walking tremendously so you can conserve your energy!
Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

Darstarr is correct. There are quite a few outside vendors who can supply you with an ECV for the length of your stay. On the WDW website under Guests with Disabilities, there is a section about ECV rentals. At the bottom of the page is a list of their featured providers. These companies can leave your rental with your resort's bell services, and you can drop it off there when you leave. With other providers you have to meet directly for pick up and drop off.

Upvote 0

Bryant072461

Original Poster
The only issue is that if I have to get the scooter at the Wilderness Lodge I am limited to only taking the bus. Is that correct??
I can’t believe that a person with ALS can’t have Disney hold a scooter at the gate.
I hate to say it but most people renting only use because they are overweight!!!
I find my options in embarrassment to the Disney Corp!!!!

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

The only issue is that if I have to get the scooter at the Wilderness Lodge I am limited to only taking the bus. Is that correct??
I can’t believe that a person with ALS can’t have Disney hold a scooter at the gate.
I hate to say it but most people renting only use because they are overweight!!!
You can rent an ECV at the gate of each park with no problem, but then you must leave it at the park when you leave, but take your receipt and can get one at the next park, assuming they have one available at that time of day

There are many options, and the buses are very easy to use with an ECV, I have been using one at the parks since 2008 and Disney has taken very good care of me. I highly recommend renting from an offsite company, they cost less and have better batteries.

If you are renting a car instead of using the bus, and you or your daughter are able, there are scooters from rental companies that can be disassembled and put in the car and then put back together - but I prefer the bus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

righttrack

It's quite a long walk to and from any transportation, car included, to the park gate where you'd pick up the "park scooter". I think you're in for a much better experience on the bus where you will be loaded first and unloaded first. You'll have that scooter with you at a very expansive resort that you'll be able to explore comfortably if you need it. You probably can't predict how you will feel at any given moment, so perhaps having a scooter with you at all times is best? Not sure. Sorry you are going through this. Hope whatever solution you choose gives you the best experience for you and your party.

Upvote 0

Bryant072461

Original Poster
This is not true!!
Taking the boat is the fastest easiest way to get to the main gate!!!
Only a few steps to the rental facility!!
Once again Disney is not prioritizing a terminally ill person over an overweight one!!!
After over 20 visits to Disney I have found the level of caring to be embarrassing!!!!
I guess asking to reserve a ECV for your last visit is too much!!!
Disney has gone from a family oriented company to a greedy one!!!
Sounds like who this country is going!
Thanks for nothing!!!
I would cancel except that it would take away from my daughters memories!!!
😡

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

This is not true!!
Once again Disney is not prioritizing a terminally ill person over an overweight one!!!
After over 20 visits to Disney I have found the level of caring to be embarrassing!!!!
Thanks for nothing!!!
😡
You CAN take a boat from the WL - BUT - it is only certain boats, so you may be waiting longer for the proper boat - and IF the water levels are a little off, you may not be accommodated, thus my preference for the bus.

You should also stop assuming that everyone using an ECV is overweight as well as yelling at us - we are trying to help you.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This is not true!!
Thanks for nothing!!!
😡
And how do you think your level of anger over this minor issue (on which others have given you great advice) will affect her?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

There are boats from Wilderness Lodge to Magic Kingdom and they can accommodate a scooter. Other than that, yes, you'd have to take a bus to the other parks or Disney Springs.

As others have mentioned, you can rent a scooter at the Disney parks, but I believe it's on a 1st come, 1st served basis. So there's no guarantee one will be available when you get to the park entrance. Currently, it's quite a walk from the resort bus stop at Hollywood Studios to the entry, especially for someone with ALS.

I'd rent from one of the companies Disney recommends. That way, you'll always have one available. The less stress for you, the better.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You can rent an ECV at the gate of each park with no problem, but then you must leave it at the park when you leave, but take your receipt and can get one at the next park, assuming they have one available at that time of day

There are many options, and the buses are very easy to use with an ECV, I have been using one at the parks since 2008 and Disney has taken very good care of me. I highly recommend renting from an offsite company, they cost less and have better batteries.

If you are renting a car instead of using the bus, and you or your daughter are able, there are scooters from rental companies that can be disassembled and put in the car and then put back together - but I prefer the bus.

We've rented a scooter that can be disassembled to put in the back of an SUV - frankly they are a pain. And heavy.

Upvote 0

EngineerMom

I am worried about too much walking with my mom but also standing in line too long.
You can get a return time instead of standing right? We would only use it where sh would actually ride. ... not going to ask for it say on space mountain but

Upvote 0

DisAl

If you want to make sure you have a scooter, rent one IN ADVANCE as others have suggested. Since they are first come first served at each park you may or may not get one when you get there. And it can be a very long walk just from the busses to the gate. It can also be quite a walk to the bus stop at WL depending on where your room is. If you rent one in advance you can literally go from your room to the park gate without ever having to get off the scooter.
As others have mentioned they have two types of boats that make the MK /WL run. One type can accommodate a scooter, but as other have mentioned if the lake level is more than a couple of inches too high or too low you can't board. If you have to wait on a second boat because the first one that came around can't handle the scooter then you will have wasted much more time than taking the bus.
While I sympathize with your issues if your gripe is that it takes a few minutes longer to take a bus than the boat if this upsets you so much maybe you should stay home and let the rest of the family enjoy the trip. Just be glad they have a bus that accommodates scooters that will allow you to make the trip. My experience with my mother who needs a wheelchair is that WDW is EXTREMELY accommodating to people who need this type of assistance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DisAl

I am worried about too much walking with my mom but also standing in line too long.
You can get a return time instead of standing right? We would only use it where sh would actually ride. ... not going to ask for it say on space mountain but
EngineerMom, in your case I would suggest a wheelchair. She can stay in the chair all the way to the boarding point of any ride she can go on. That is what we did with my mother (89) for our trip last June. Some rides such as the Little Mermaid in MK have some special ride vehicles that they can roll a wheelchair right onto the ride.
The return time thing is only for those who have disabilities covered by their disabilities policy. That used to put you in the fastpass line but that was so abused that now you get a return time for the fastpass line at a time that would be the same as if you had waited in the regular line. That just keeps you from having to wait in line, it does not get you in quicker as if you had a fastpass.

Upvote 0

EngineerMom

My mom is totally mobile (she doesn’t use a wheelchair). But standing for long periods is tough. And the walking at Disney gets to be a lot which was why I wanted to rent the scooter for the week. As folks said just the walk to a park can be long. My description to her was hey, you could park it and walk around some when you are in a park if you are feeling OK. Standing is tougher than walking.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom