Terminally ill and need scooter

Bryant072461

I have ALS and am in need of a scooter! I am taking my daughter who couldn’t be with us for Christmas week of 2017. I don’t want to take the bus but may have to if I can’t get a scooter at the park. Can anyone help?
I want to be able to get around but just can’t walk to well. I would appreciate any help in this my final trip. Thank you!!

ada0801

no, I'm just saying there's people who aren't capable of walking, and they need scooters. I specifically saw them getting up, and walking just fine. No need to start fights :)

My mom has stage 4 breast cancer and several tumors in her bone including her spine. She can walk great, including stairs. Sometimes she likes to walk because she needs to move. But can you imagine the pain of walking all day with a broken spine! How about instead of assuming you know something about anyone, you just give them the benefit. If they are misleading the system, it doesn't effect you at all. If they need it, be glad its not you with a broken spine. Months after the trip and I will never forget the man on the bus who rolled his eyes and didn't want to get up so my mom could have a seat on the bus. He didn't know she has cancer, she looks pretty healthy. It did hurt my family to see his disdain for us. We got him in the end though. Made him sit by our 4 kids. Just don't assume because you actually know nothing about the person in that scooter.

Upvote 0

wdwgirl2005

My mom has stage 4 breast cancer and several tumors in her bone including her spine. She can walk great, including stairs. Sometimes she likes to walk because she needs to move. But can you imagine the pain of walking all day with a broken spine! How about instead of assuming you know something about anyone, you just give them the benefit. If they are misleading the system, it doesn't effect you at all. If they need it, be glad its not you with a broken spine. Months after the trip and I will never forget the man on the bus who rolled his eyes and didn't want to get up so my mom could have a seat on the bus. He didn't know she has cancer, she looks pretty healthy. It did hurt my family to see his disdain for us. We got him in the end though. Made him sit by our 4 kids. Just don't assume because you actually know nothing about the person in that scooter.

I've had so many responses to this one thread. Everyone responded with the same message. I DO GET that some disabilities aren't visible. So let me be more clear on what I SAW.

We were at All Star Music. ready to get on the bus for Magic Kingdom. Behind me, I saw a woman with a child playing around on a scooter, and then a man came up with a child also on his lap in the scooter. They were zooming around in circles, and then got up and started walking. Who knows, maybe they DID both have disabilities. But it seemed to hard to believe that they were incapable of walking.

Upvote 0

ThistleMae

I've had so many responses to this one thread. Everyone responded with the same message. I DO GET that some disabilities aren't visible. So let me be more clear on what I SAW.

We were at All Star Music. ready to get on the bus for Magic Kingdom. Behind me, I saw a woman with a child playing around on a scooter, and then a man came up with a child also on his lap in the scooter. They were zooming around in circles, and then got up and started walking. Who knows, maybe they DID both have disabilities. But it seemed to hard to believe that they were incapable of walking.
It wouldn't surprise me if some folks just rented them because they wanted to. But we won't know that. It's not our job to judge, "let he who has no sins cast the first stone." And I've never quoted from the Bible before, go figure, but it applies here for sure.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

You want to equate being completely incapable of walking with the need for the scooter. I can walk, but I am an amputee who wears prosthetics, and to walk distance at Disney would be extremely uncomfortable for me. I did it for many years, and suffered terribly. A friend talked me into using a scooter, and now I can enjoy the parks like you can. You would not know by looking at me that I wear the prosthetics.

Those new to using scooters are also told by the scooter company to take time to drive around in circles and on straightaways, to test how the device runs and turns etc, before they are immersed in crowds so that they are a better driver in such situations.

I agree that they should not have the children on the scooter, that is against the rules and unsafe.

Upvote 0

ThistleMae

You want to equate being completely incapable of walking with the need for the scooter. I can walk, but I am an amputee who wears prosthetics, and to walk distance at Disney would be extremely uncomfortable for me. I did it for many years, and suffered terribly. A friend talked me into using a scooter, and now I can enjoy the parks like you can. You would not know by looking at me that I wear the prosthetics.

Those new to using scooters are also told by the scooter company to take time to drive around in circles and on straightaways, to test how the device runs and turns etc, before they are immersed in crowds so that they are a better driver in such situations.

I agree that they should not have the children on the scooter, that is against the rules and unsafe.
You are completely right, not everyone who needs a scooter is incapable of walking, but walking in the parks is very different than parking the scooter to get in line for a ride. Or getting up to go get food. I hear you about suffering in the parks without one. I had to use one for two different Disney trips, before I had my knee replaced. It saved both my trips, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do it. I was really happy the first year I didn't need one, but it made me so much more sympathetic for those using scooters. And I was lucky that my ability to walk long distances improved.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

Needing a scooter does not mean you are incapable of walking out all, it means you can't walk the distances required at Disney, and yes as someone else mentioned you are told by the rental company to drive in circles ect . before you go to the park to get used to the scooter. And just an FYI i have a friend who had recently recovered from surgery but was still not 100% and her husband had plantar wart removal surgery right before their trip, they both were able to walk some but not all the time, and they really could not afford two scooter rentals, so they rented one and traded out as one became time or started hurting, so you just never know.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

Guests are not supposed to sit on the ECV on the bus, most drivers make them sit in a different seat for safety.

Also, Disney ECVs, besides costing more, run out of charge faster even though they can't go as fast as off site rentals.
Wrong, I own my own ECV and always insist on being buckled in while sitting on the scooter. There is a normal seal belt that can be used. Some drivers, just like park CM's THINK they know all the answers, but are simply misinformed. I actually feel much safer being the only passenger buckled in my seat. I also insist because I always feel guilty that my ECV takes up 2 seats, so why should I take up a third when I can stay on it?
As far as @wdwgirl2005 goes, I have MS and can walk short distances too. I park my ECV outside the ride and stand in line (just like you). If you would see me jump off my ECV and walk, you'd think I really don't need it...anytime you want to trade, I'm up for it. I HOPE to be able to someday be able to walk my DD's down the aisle.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Wrong, I own my own ECV and always insist on being buckled in while sitting on the scooter. There is a normal seal belt that can be used. Some drivers, just like park CM's THINK they know all the answers, but are simply misinformed. I actually feel much safer being the only passenger buckled in my seat. I also insist because I always feel guilty that my ECV takes up 2 seats, so why should I take up a third when I can stay on it?
I know - I almost always sit in my ECV seat too, buckled and strapped in. I've questioned multiple bus drivers as well as their trainers and supervisors and they said that while it is up to the discretion of the driver for various reasons, efficiency being one, Disney prefers that the ECV driver dismount the ECV and sit on a regular seat. There were even 2 instances where the driver would not allow other guests to board until I moved off of the ECV.

Upvote 0

ThistleMae

I know - I almost always sit in my ECV seat too, buckled and strapped in. I've questioned multiple bus drivers as well as their trainers and supervisors and they said that while it is up to the discretion of the driver for various reasons, efficiency being one, Disney prefers that the ECV driver dismount the ECV and sit on a regular seat. There were even 2 instances where the driver would not allow other guests to board until I moved off of the ECV.
Yes, my experience was each driver had a different ask. So they are not all on the same page. It didn't bother me either way. And yes, I thought it was better to stay seated because that made for another seat for someone else.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

I know too, because I've had arguments with drivers too...I don't know why they would want to waste another seat.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom