Tell me about May

We were suppose to head to WDW Sept 26 but had to put the trip on hold because we ended up moving. Although I am surrounded by boxes currently, I am dreaming of Disney and trying to decide when to go. What are crowd levels like in mid May?

zurgandfriend

We went in late May of 2006, The weather was hot compared to New England, we found the crowd levels to be low. Schools in the south were just getting out for the year. We met lots of grandparents who had their grandchildren with them.

We have a son who is now 11 yeard old. As I got a late start and did not get married until I was in my 40's I'm am used to having people ask me "How old is your grandson?" My DW always though that has funny until that trip we took in May when someone asked her how old her grandson was". Let me say DW is 13 years younger than me

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Weather in mid May is lovely. Summer-like (but not oppresively hot) without the daily afternoon storms, so days at a water park, or an afternoon swim, are fun. The nights aren't a lot cooler, so shorts and tees are fine all the time. The crowds aren't too bad, as mentioned above.

When my daughter was little, I would go every year.

We also had a "change of life" baby (my son), so I would sometimes get the grandma remarks. The fact that my husband's hair started turning grey at 21, and was almost completely white by 40, didn't help much. (Unfortunately, both of my children have that gene) We don't get them as much now since my son is 16 and taller than both of us.

Don't let the avatar fool you - it's 7 years old! :lol:

Upvote 0

krankenstein

May is my 2nd favorite time to go (Christmas is #1). It isn't real hot yet, crowds are moderate, Flower and Garden is going on at EPCOT, and you might be able to catch a SWW if you are lucky. It's very pleasant time to visit WDW, I think you will enjoy yourself. :wave:

Upvote 0

Clare-DPME

We made a trip out mid to end of May 2007 - it was hot and there were LOTS of May Bugs around. Pesky things were a complete pain. Just one thing to bear in mind :)

Upvote 0

kangaand2roos

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I'm not so worried about the heat compared to New England since we just moved from southern VA, I was worried about crowds but it sounds like I'll be planning a May trip to Disney :sohappy:

Upvote 0

mickey7879

We went the 1st week of May in 2006. It was a lot more crowded than we were used to and it was HOT!!!!! :fork:

The only reason we'd go back that time of year is for the Flower and Garden Festival going on at Epcot. That was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

Thanks everyone! I'm not so worried about the heat compared to New England since we just moved from southern VA, I was worried about crowds but it sounds like I'll be planning a May trip to Disney :sohappy:
Just watch out for Star War weekends. I think it starts in June now, but when we went in May it was crowded.

Upvote 0

pcarathers

we went May 9-15 of this year...to us, the crowds were great. We walked up to most rides with little or no wait......It was a little on the Hot and Humid side, but hey, this is to be expected when you are in Florida. We were used to going in October/December due to weather being very good.....but changed it up this trip....we're going back in May 2010.....can't wait...hopefully, the same pattern as this year.

Upvote 0

swimmom

The beginning or mid-May is our favorite time to go to WDW. The crowds are tolerable and the weather is good. It can be hot, but not real humid and usually not a lot of rain. However this past May had an unseasonable amount of rain. The rain deficit in FL was made up on our trip. I'm hoping that 2010 will be better and we can have a less soggy trip!!!!

Upvote 0

docdebbi

hey as long as we're discussing crowds in may.....anyone have any ideas when spring breaks, school breaks are this year.........we don't have kids so don't have any idea, but want to avoid Easter week (easy to find date) and spring break! anyone know and willing to share?

Upvote 0
We were there the week before Memorial Day this year. Crowd levels were great, but I don't know how much the massive, record breaking daily rain totals kept the crowds down. I know the rain was very A-Typical for that time of year, but I think in the 8 days we were there, there was 12 inches of rain recorded. I would plan another trip for that same time, knowing the rain was not normal. The flower and garden show was very nice, and couldn't beat the low crowds (compared to what I am used to at spring break time). Heat was no issue for all the rain. Go.... Enjoy.

Upvote 0

Mr Wizard

Our anniversary is mid May and we have been going for a week for about the past six years and we love it. Great weather, warm enough to hit the pools but not oppressive. And we usually don't have to wait more than 15/20 min. for most rides. Go for it !

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom