TEAM REALITY BRAINSTORMING THREAD

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
BENEATH OUR FEET
Attraction Ride Through

Guests enter the lead attraction of the geology pavilion through a large foyer that quickly filters into a normal sized queue, then move quickly through multiple switchback ramps. A huge cross section model of Earth hangs overhead, dominating the room. The surrounding walls are lined with carpet in numerous red, orange, yellow, and brown hues.

Upon reaching the base of the entrance foyer, along guardrails positioned in front of the suspended globe are four dialogue boxes. These contain text briefly describing the crust, mantle, outer core, and inner core of the planet.

Entering a second room, guests are immediately sorted into groups of 32 to board one of three specially designed elevators. These elevators present the illusion of descending below the surface of the planet, but in actuality they move at an upward angle to take riders to the loading platform on the second floor. The elevator trips are staggered to help distribute crowd flow.

During the short journey to the upper floor, guests are introduced to the attraction via prerecorded narration;

Please stand clear of the doors, they will close automatically. Thank you.

Welcome to Beneath the Surface. You are about to embark on a journey unlike any taken before. You will experience the wonderful and amazing world that exists beneath our feet. For your safety, please remain seated throughout the duration of your journey.

The elevator doors will open automatically. Please take small children by the hand and watch your step as you disembark. Thank you.

The load area utilizes a moving platform to bring guests to the actual load platform, which is decorated with contemporary carpeting. To the left is a large portal, dressed to look like a tunnel through a rock formation. The back wall of the platform is a massive semicircle painted red, orange, yellow, and brown. An instrumental version of “It’s Neat Beneath Our Feet” can be heard gently in the background. Guests are sorted into eight rows of four to board their futuristic “mine trains” for a slow moving journey beneath the surface.

These trains of ride vehicles glide along the track thanks to linear induction motors much like the WedWay Peoplemover.

The full journey will have riders slowly descend from the upper floor, to the actual ground level, then briefly further down into sub-ground level, before finally ascending back to the upper floor.

Departing the load area, the trains immediately enter the aforementioned portal. The dark portal is illuminated by occasional flickers of multicolored light. The full theme song, complete with lyrics, serenades guests as they pass into the tunnel, slowly fading into the background as they enter the first scene.

SCENE 1: The first room takes place seemingly in outer space. A black backdrop full of stars sets the tone before a massive projection of early Earth comes into view. The planet is seen being bombarded with comets zooming across the blackness of space.

What you see before you is an infant Earth. The young planet was struck by millions of comets. These comets are the main source water for the our planet. This is the first important ingredient for the development of life on Earth.

SCENE 2: Now approaching the surface of the planet, a dense fog covers a mostly dry, barren desert landscape. In the distance is a torrential rainstorm. Flashes of lightning attempt to blink through the layer of fog, and the steady rumble of thunder can be heard in the distance. And a gentle breeze is felt blowing through the room.

Early single cell life forms called Cyanobacteria converted harmful gases into oxygen. Over millions of years, the oxygen reacted with methane in the atmosphere, And allowed complex life to flourish.

SCENE 3: A model of the planet is used to show ice sheets receding over North America, carving out the Great Lakes and other bodies of fresh water.

A mere three percent of Earth’s water is fresh water, and only a fraction of that is actually useable for human consumption. The rest is inaccessible with our current means. New research may one day allow us to convert salt water to drinkable water.

SCENE 4: The trains now dive into a massive simulated ocean environment. Anemones, sponges, corals, and other strange life forms populate the ocean floor. Volcanic jets occasionally spew out a thick plume of black smoke. High above, the shadows of numerous schools of fish, as well as manta rays, sharks, and jellyfish are seen swimming by. The track passes right through what could be the Mariana Trench.

Many kilometers below the surface, amazing and complex life forms thrive in environments once thought too hostile to sustain life. Microorganisms turn inorganic compounds into energy, a process known as chemosynthesis. This biomass is then able to sustain entire diverse ecosystems.

SCENE 5: The ride track has descended to ground level. Guests next pass through a gorgeous, shimmering, colorful limestone cave, covered with stalactites and stalagmites. Many of these have grown so long that they have formed columns. Sparkling purples, pinks, blues, and greens fill the room with a dazzling array of colors.

These stunning formations are valuable beyond their beauty. Caves play an essential role in the regulation of the water table, and provide a home for numerous species of animals. These mineral deposits also contain oxygen and carbon isotopes which allow researchers to learn more about environmental changes over vast periods of time.

SCENE 6: From a cavernous, colorful cave, to a narrow tunnel through a portion of mantle. Guests now get a closeup look at the formation of diamonds. The scene begins with tiny lumps of carbon seen embedded in the walls, and ends with the fully formed pure gems, waiting to be uncovered.

These valuable gems are formed under very specific circumstances deep in the Earth’s mantle. Carbon trapped in the interior of the planet is naturally superheated under intense pressure. After millions of years, diamonds are formed. They are later brought to the surface with explosive forces.

INTERLUDE: Making a quick turn, the trains enter a dark room serving as a transitional space. A series of monitors show volcanic eruptions, with a very large static image indicating the parts of a volcano and how they work.

Attention please, your vehicles are now entering our simulated volcanic environment. For your safety, remain seated at all times.

SCENE 7: The temperature becomes noticeably warmer as guests now enter a simulated magma chamber. Bubbling orange liquid can be seen below, as steam rises from various spots in the room. The lighting in the chamber is also exceptionally brighter, adding to the illusion.

This bubbling cauldron is the catalyst for volcanic eruptions. Temperatures here are so intense that some rock actually melts to form a liquid called magma. The magma is less dense than the solid rock surrounding it, causing it to rise. Eventually it breaks through to the surface, often in spectacular fashion.

SCENE 8: Perhaps the most exciting scene in the entire show. The track now approaches and circles a massive model volcano situated in a tropical environment under a starry night sky. As the track makes its way around the cone, it also continues its downward trajectory and finally descends to the lowest floor of the structure. The volcano itself will occasionally release a steady stream of lava that falls harmlessly back into the cone. There is no narration during this scene. The track crosses back under itself as the journey continues.

SCENE 9: A cross section of a continental plate subduction zone complete with mountain range. This could easily be the Pacific Northwest. One land mass, containing an ocean, is seemingly being pushed under the other one. Above is a monitor that plays a looping illustration of the continents separating over time, starting with Pangea and ending in present day.

These mountains are formed over eons by a process called plate tectonics. The Earth’s crust is ever changing, being pulled apart and smashed back together due to convection currents in the mantle. Subduction zones like these are often home to volcanic activity, and are excellent sources of mineral deposits.

SCENE 10: The train next enters the first of two short speed tunnels. The first one simulating the Earth’s convection currents. Bubbles of nondescript shape and size swirl around the ride track at various speeds in a counterclockwise direction, set against a rocky dark brown background.

These convection currents in the Earth’s mantle drive the plate tectonics on the surface. This process also helps regulate levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, and allows important nutrients locked away in mountains to become useful.

SCENE 11: The second speed tunnel represents the liquid outer core, which is a bubbling mass of bright yellow, orange, and brown liquid rock. It moves organically, quickening and slowing in different places. The boundary of the room is constantly lit up with alternating blues and pinks, meant to represent electric currents.

Even here, over three thousand kilometers below the surface, great forces are at work. Here in the outer core, electric currents are generated by the flow of liquid iron and nickel. These currents coupled with the rotation of the planet create the Earth’s magnetic field, which protects the surface from solar winds, allowing life to flourish.

SCENE 12: The trains now begin their ascension back to the surface. The ride track winds back and forth as the vehicles slowly climbing to the upper floor. The entire ascent takes place inside one massive room. An orchestral arrangement of the theme cascades through the chamber. Guests pass multiple small dioramas on either side of the winding track, showing modern industry being used to harvest the various resources found beneath the surface. Scenes include a granite rock quarry, wells used to pump otherwise inaccessible groundwater, diamond mines, mountain top removal, and water filtration systems.

Our planet is uniquely positioned to sustain life as we know it. Incredible forces on the surface and the deepest depths of the planet shape our world, and create the conditions which allow us to thrive. Our Earth is as rare a gem in the cosmic ocean as diamonds are to those who live on it.

DeBeers now proudly invites you to further explore the wonderful world Beneath the Surface, in The Rock Works. Join us for an informative hands on experience to gain a deeper understanding of the Earth’s natural forces.

Reaching the unload platform, guests are now invited to the post-show area to participate in further exhibits all about the world beneath the surface.

The unload platform itself features an exit tunnel made of incredible rock work, highlighted by gigantic glistening gems that tower over guests. This tunnel then leads to a speed ramp/moving platform that takes guests down to ground level and into the post-show area.

The post-show area can also be accessed via a set of doors that are set off to the right of the main entrance to the pavilion, bypassing the main attraction.

HULK!!!!

Errr, uhhh. @D Hulk my ride through is ready!!!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Updated modern updates. Yes.

Modern Updates:

• Following the 1998 refurb, the pavilion became one of the most popular destinations in all of Epcot.
  • Despite the growing popularity, DeBeers chose not to renew their sponsorship in 2002. Kay Jewelers quickly took over as sponsor that same year, signing a twelve year agreement.
  • In 2006 the pavilion’s name was officially changed to “Beneath The Surface with Rocky” as part of Disney’s continued marketing toward families with children.
  • The titular dark ride received an update in 2013. The volcano eruption was now more intense, thanks to new lighting and sound systems built into the structure itself. Lava could now be seen “flowing” down the side of the cone. The industrial dioramas in the finale were removed and the entire ascent to the surface was now through a rainbow cavern. The earlier cave show scene was changed to be an underground salt mine. A new narration was provided by Paul Bettany. A new version of the now timeless theme song was recorded by Dove Cameron.
  • As part of their extensive deal with The Walt Disney Company, Pandora took over attraction sponsorship in 2014.
  • The pavilion closed for most of January 2017 so the atrium could receive a much needed refreshing. Old signage was replaced, and all of the exhibits were entirely rebuilt with new equipment. The biggest change was the theater, which received a new HD projection system. An updated DisneyNature film was produced, retaining its lighthearted tone, and continuing to feature Rocky.
  • In August 2019, Disney Parks Blog announced that a new coaster pre-show film would be produced starring Peyton List and Kenneth Leung. The film maintained the popular SMRT-2 storyline and debuted the following summer.
  • The pavilion received a further boost in popularity after WandaVision aired in 2021.

TwilightZone

Changes made thus far to the sub pages

• 80s is still the same, so is 90s but I might change some things up for the 90s page
  • Modern era is just one big page, if you need a subpage for it lemme know
  • Gift Shop is it's own separate page
Also lemme know if you need me to add or change something. @Pi on my Cake the 90s subpage is pretty blank rn for example, you need me to add stuff?

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Updated modern updates. Yes.

Modern Updates:

• Following the 1998 refurb, the pavilion became one of the most popular destinations in all of Epcot.
  • Despite the growing popularity, DeBeers chose not to renew their sponsorship in 2002. Kay Jewelers quickly took over as sponsor that same year, signing a twelve year agreement.
  • In 2006 the pavilion’s name was officially changed to “Beneath The Surface with Rocky” as part of Disney’s continued marketing toward families with children.
  • The titular dark ride received an update in 2013. The volcano eruption was now more intense, thanks to new lighting and sound systems built into the structure itself. Lava could now be seen “flowing” down the side of the cone. The industrial dioramas in the finale were removed and the entire ascent to the surface was now through a rainbow cavern. The earlier cave show scene was changed to be an underground salt mine. A new narration was provided by Paul Bettany. A new version of the now timeless theme song was recorded by Dove Cameron.
  • As part of their extensive deal with The Walt Disney Company, Pandora took over attraction sponsorship in 2014.
  • The pavilion closed for most of January 2017 so the atrium could receive a much needed refreshing. Old signage was replaced, and all of the exhibits were entirely rebuilt with new equipment. The biggest change was the theater, which received a new HD projection system. An updated DisneyNature film was produced, retaining its lighthearted tone, and continuing to feature Rocky.
  • In August 2019, Disney Parks Blog announced that a new coaster pre-show film would be produced starring Peyton List and Kenneth Leung. The film maintained the popular SMRT-2 storyline and debuted the following summer.
  • The pavilion received a further boost in popularity after WandaVision aired in 2021.
Oh. Oh yeah.
@D Hulk

HULK!!!!!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Any images you want I should incorporate with this?

BTW, got the '80s ridethrough uploaded, and incorporated the existing images best as I could. Will go through it with Tegan's blessing and add more images as I see fit.
I,....don’t think the modern section really needs photos??? It’s mostly just tidbits of information.

Feel free to add anything to the ride through if you think it will help tell the story better! I was browsing the site and noticed the paragraph about the globe in the queue is repeated. “Upon reaching the blah blah blah”

We’ll definitely want to get our ever helpful floor plans and maps uploaded to some place on the site. And my intro ☺️

D Hulk

I,....don’t think the modern section really needs photos??? It’s mostly just tidbits of information.

Feel free to add anything to the ride through if you think it will help tell the story better! I was browsing the site and noticed the paragraph about the globe in the queue is repeated. “Upon reaching the blah blah blah”

We’ll definitely want to get our ever helpful floor plans and maps uploaded to some place on the site. And my intro ☺️
Fixed the error you saw.

And when you're able, (re)post all the floorplans with mention about where (what era) they'll go. And I'll make that change.

I *think* the whole website is up-do-date at the moment.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Fixed the error you saw.

And when you're able, (re)post all the floorplans with mention about where (what era) they'll go. And I'll make that change.

I *think* the whole website is up-do-date at the moment.
I think @Pi on my Cake was gonna make a different map for the 90s, the one he posted was just for the example.

We need the really nice guide map ones that you made too, Big Green!!

A56C5F3A-057E-4399-9CCC-BA49E2EC05FE.jpeg
You already have the detailed Rock Works and dark ride maps, but in case it’s useful here’s an additional one that shows our 1982-1997 pavilion superimposed over The Living Seas, whose plot has been stolen a hundred times in armchair Imagineering now.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Oh, @D Hulk in the “modern” section, the blurb about Dis Parks Blog announcing the new film; can you change the word “coaster” to Storm Rescue. I should, ya know, use actual titles lol.

Annnnnnd, I didn’t mean to call the ride “beneath our feet” I meant to call it “beneath the surface” like the pavilion name. That was an accident because I was thinking about the song lol. Umm, we can fix that??

D Hulk

I think @Pi on my Cake was gonna make a different map for the 90s, the one he posted was just for the example.

We need the really nice guide map ones that you made too, Big Green!!

View attachment 542310You already have the detailed Rock Works and dark ride maps, but in case it’s useful here’s an additional one that shows our 1982-1997 pavilion superimposed over The Living Seas, whose plot has been stolen a hundred times in armchair Imagineering now.
Holy , I totally forgot I made those maps! :eek:

So, yeah, the '80s one is in the website now. I'll update the '90s map to include the coaster expansion. And I'll make up a 2020s map too...tomorrow.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Oh, @D Hulk in the “modern” section, the blurb about Dis Parks Blog announcing the new film; can you change the word “coaster” to Storm Rescue. I should, ya know, use actual titles lol.

Annnnnnd, I didn’t mean to call the ride “beneath our feet” I meant to call it “beneath the surface” like the pavilion name. That was an accident because I was thinking about the song lol. Umm, we can fix that??
@D Hulk I added to my comment in hopes you’d see it afterwards but I think you saw it already before editing. This is why I always post like 32 times in a row 😂😂😂😂

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Sigh. Dammit.
Thinking about it now I think “beneath our feet” might be a better attraction name,...ughhhhh idk!!! I’m stressing about it, I want it to be perfect. Ughhhhhhhh. You guys decide, honestly cause I can’t. I’m gonna shut up for a few now though. Might go bother Team Time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom