TEAM REALITY BRAINSTORMING THREAD

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Watching some Taylor Swift stuff to calm down and HOW IS she SO PRETTY
DBDF2BAC-D71C-474C-9F7E-E027D06F1E67.png

I’m still trying to figure that out myself. 😍😍

TwilightZone

No HUGE changes to the postshow area. Like I said, just swapping out some old displays for others.

While whipping up a quick draft map I figured I'd make a few tweaks for the sake of expanding it into a more full pavilion instead of the ride/post show style pavilion of the original

• Added an extended new entrance for the pavilion.
  • The dark ride queue will be very minorly reworked so you enter it from inside of the pavilion instead of a seperate outdoor entrance.
  • The new quick service dining location will go in this extended entrance area.
  • The old food stand will be demolished and that space used as the entrance to the coaster.
  • Coaster is hidden behind the rest of the pavilion so it doesn't really effect the sightlines adding it in or need a fancy new design. The Pavilion outside Hulk designed can stay mostly the same except for a small extended wall.
View attachment 542148View attachment 542149

Very rough maps just to give a general idea. I'll make real maps later.

Does this sound alright? Anything about this new set up I should change?

The Climate Labs Outline - Interactive Exhibits that make up the most of the floor space for the 90s edition of the Pavilion

• The Big Dig is gotten ride of and turned into an expansion of the interactive exhibit space
    • Thunder Trapped - A collection of Plasma Balls of various sizes themed as lightning captured for study by the ERS
    • The Berg - An iceberg brought here to study by the ERS. Various fossils and sea creatures are frozen inside there as fun displays.
    • Decorative indoor artificial tornado and whirlpool tubes are on display.
  • Quake 'N' Shake is unchanged
  • Quarry Gallery, Volcano Model, and Rocky's Gopher Game remain more or less unchanged
  • Layer Fair is replaced with Storm Force! A hurricane simulator booth
  • Pan for Gems remains mostly unchanged beyond some added ERS theming. But is now counted as a part of the interactive exhibit space, The Climate Labs.
Wasn't able to comment on these earlier but both of these are very good! Like the addition of the plasma ball, so epcot!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Awesome!! See that’s actually a lot of changes haha. Very cool! I love seeing what other people do with something I helped design. It’s a nifty feeling.

Only thing I’d mention is watch the placement of the coaster building. Because we’ll be treading into Monorail track territory.

View attachment 542167
Give me a sec and I’ll get a better overlap photo lol
Should I move the coaster queue to behind the building instead of beside it?

Or could we just shift the original building a bit to the right so we have room for the queue on the side?

Also, I honestly LOVE what you did with the entrance! You turned the post show area into basically a central atrium, sort of like The Land or Wonders of Life, with all the attractions and exhibits then accessible from within. That works so well!!! And feels remarkably “Epcot,” no, actually, “EPCOT!” Just,....*chefs kiss*
Thanks!!! Like I said, the post show already lended itself well to that. All it needed to become an atrium is a slightly expanded/reworked entrance to go from a World of Motion style Pavilion/post show to a Wonders style Pavilion!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Okay this is basically what we’re looking at for a footprint.
View attachment 542171Note that the pathway on the far left of the image is not there in 1982, or even 1986. It’s actually a recent addition due to the excessive construction in the central spine area.
Like, you have our entry path lined up with the irl ride entrance for the Seas. But if our entry path lined up with the irl post show exit path there'd be plenty of room to add the coaster queue on the side there.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Like, you have our entry path lined up with the irl ride entrance for the Seas. But if our entry path lined up with the irl post show exit path there'd be plenty of room to add the coaster queue on the side there.
Tbh, if the queue is a single floor, or not much taller, it’ll be fine where it is. Otherwise we can scoot it over a tad, or maybe even rotate it just slightly. I just wanted to make sure we were aware of the Monorail, and also the park entrance area itself, though it looks like we’ll be fine in that regard.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Tbh, if the queue is a single floor, or not much taller, it’ll be fine where it is. Otherwise we can scoot it over a tad, or maybe even rotate it just slightly. I just wanted to make sure we were aware of the Monorail, and also the park entrance area itself, though it looks like we’ll be fine in that regard.
That works! Twilight's queue seemed pretty low key so one floor should be perfect!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
So, I don't think we've heard much from the modern team? Are there any plans yet for the third update?

I can try and finish my parts of the 90s update today so I can be available to lend a hand on the modern one if we need it
I’m already on it!

My thoughts are to just do a bunch of little things, nothing warranting a massive write up. There’s no point in drastically changing something that doesn’t need to be changed.

D Hulk

Where Hulk is at

With my 80s material all written up & uploaded & now also with images added, here's what I'll do from now on...

I'll upload other completed stuff to the site.

So let me know when you submit stuff that's ready to go, with a tag like @D Hulk, or better by yelling out HUUUUULLLLLKKKKK! I'll see that. And @TwilightZone, it might fall on you to modify the website's different sub-pages as we near completion, depending on the material we have by then. We may not need a "Gift Shop" page for every era, as an example.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I’m already on it!

My thoughts are to just do a bunch of little things, nothing warranting a massive write up. There’s no point in drastically changing something that doesn’t need to be changed.
Makes sense. Add a meet and greet and a new DisneyNature film for the theater and we're good probably.

Maybe note that our Sherman bros song from the 80s version is added to the Epcot Forever fireworks show. Idk lol

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Makes sense. Add a meet and greet and a new DisneyNature film for the theater and we're good probably.

Maybe note that our Sherman bros song from the 80s version is added to the Epcot Forever fireworks show. Idk lol
I thought we already had a M&G set up in the gift shop area but if we don’t I will definitely add that to my list!!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Currently these are my “modern era” bullet points. Does anything jump out as needing photos?? I was thinking it might be fun to duplicate a Dis Parks Blog page if it isn’t too much effort.

Modern Updates:
  • Following the 1998 refurb, the pavilion became one of the most popular destinations in all of Epcot.
  • Despite the growing popularity, DeBeers chose not to renew their sponsorship in 2002. Kay Jewelers quickly took over as sponsor that same year, signing a twelve year agreement.
  • In 2006 the pavilion’s name was officially changed to “Beneath The Surface with Rocky” as part of Disney’s continued marketing toward families with children.
  • The titular dark ride received an update in 2013. The volcano eruption was now more intense, thanks to new lighting and sound systems built into the structure itself. Lava could now be seen “flowing” down the side of the cone. The industrial dioramas in the finale were removed and the entire ascent to the surface was now through a rainbow cavern. The earlier cave show scene was changed to be an underground salt mine. A new narration was provided by Paul Bettany. A new version of the now timeless theme song was recorded by Dove Cameron.
  • Kay Jewelers renewed their sponsorship in 2014.
  • The pavilion closed for most of January 2017 so the atrium could receive a much needed refreshing. Old signage was replaced, and all of the exhibits were entirely rebuilt with new equipment. The biggest change was the theater, which received a new HD projection system. An updated DisneyNature film was produced, though it retained a lighthearted tone, and continued to feature Rocky.
  • In August 2019, Disney Parks Blog announced that a new coaster pre-show film would be produced starring Peyton List and Kenneth Leung. The film maintained the popular SMRT-2 storyline and debuted the following summer.
  • The Sherman Brothers version of “It’s Neat Beneath Our Feet” was included in Epcot Forever.
  • The pavilion received a further boost in popularity after WandaVision aired in 2021.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Currently these are my “modern era” bullet points. Does anything jump out as needing photos?? I was thinking it might be fun to duplicate a Dis Parks Blog page if it isn’t too much effort.

Modern Updates:
  • Following the 1998 refurb, the pavilion became one of the most popular destinations in all of Epcot.
  • Despite the growing popularity, DeBeers chose not to renew their sponsorship in 2002. Kay Jewelers quickly took over as sponsor that same year, signing a twelve year agreement.
  • In 2006 the pavilion’s name was officially changed to “Beneath The Surface with Rocky” as part of Disney’s continued marketing toward families with children.
  • The titular dark ride received an update in 2013. The volcano eruption was now more intense, thanks to new lighting and sound systems built into the structure itself. Lava could now be seen “flowing” down the side of the cone. The industrial dioramas in the finale were removed and the entire ascent to the surface was now through a rainbow cavern. The earlier cave show scene was changed to be an underground salt mine. A new narration was provided by Paul Bettany. A new version of the now timeless theme song was recorded by Dove Cameron.
  • The pavilion closed for most of January 2017 so the atrium could receive a much needed refreshing. Old signage was replaced, and all of the exhibits were entirely rebuilt with new equipment. The biggest change was the theater, which received a new HD projection system. An updated DisneyNature film was produced, though it retained a lighthearted tone, and continued to feature Rocky.
  • In August 2019, Disney Parks Blog announced that a new coaster pre-show film would be produced starring Peyton List and Kenneth Leung. The film maintained the popular SMRT-2 storyline and debuted the following summer.
  • The Sherman Brothers version of “It’s Neat Beneath Our Feet” was included in Epcot Forever.
  • The pavilion received a further boost in popularity after WandaVision aired in 2021.
Looks great to me! Only change I'd make is swap Kay in 2014 with Pandora Jewelry since it was around that time they made a deal with Disney for a shop and sponsoring fireworks.

Miru

Modern Updates:
I’d also like to add “Rocky plush are avaliable in both his original and current designs”.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
I’d also like to add “Rocky plush are avaliable in both his original and current designs”.
I would hope so!! The gift shop stuff has been mostly left up to @Honey Bee

Looks great to me! Only change I'd make is swap Kay in 2014 with Pandora Jewelry since it was around that time they made a deal with Disney for a shop and sponsoring fireworks.
Oooooooh! Good call.

Miru

* Rocky was also considered for Disney Infinity. He was deemed too niche before development of the series came to a final end.
* And nowadays people want to see Rocky and his surroundings added to Disneyland Resort to make up for currently abandoned space...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom