Team Danny DeVito from Dumbo Project Nine - Kooky Clown Time

ThemeParkPriest

Perfect! Do you have any early ideas for the maze? I’m still trying to think of something unique, fun and clown based. The only idea I’ve come up with yet is clown junkyard with broken clown cars, tricks gone wrong and that type of stuff
Honestly, I haven't been able to come up with much in terms of brainstorming; I've had a full schedule this week with a final paper due tomorrow. But your idea has promise! I know we aren't using the Ghost Clown from Scooby-Doo, but I do like the idea of his character--a clown that hypnotizes people. "The tricks gone wrong" sort of speaks to some things that at least happened in the episode, so it could be a part of the backstory of our maze.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
So I am a little confused. When you say creepy flat rides, do you mean small flat rides that can easily be taken down after the whole event is over? If so, then I don’t think that is the best idea. Knotts is super small and the pathways aren’t that big. With both the mazes and scare zones already taking up major space, there would hardly be any room left. I would say doing an overlay of an existing attraction (which they already do with Timber Mountain Log Ride although I am not sure if it was introduced yet in 2017) would be the better pick.
Yeah that’s what I was going for but if the park isn’t large enough to hold extra things like that we could do something more along those lines.

DisneyFan18

Honestly, I haven't been able to come up with much in terms of brainstorming; I've had a full schedule this week with a final paper due tomorrow. But your idea has promise! I know we aren't using the Ghost Clown from Scooby-Doo, but I do like the idea of his character--a clown that hypnotizes people. "The tricks gone wrong" sort of speaks to some things that at least happened in the episode, so it could be a part of the backstory of our maze.
A clown that hypnotizes people sounds really cool! It definitely sounds like fun and spooky backstory!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Long Overdue Feedback
SaneShrillAntbear-size_restricted.gif

First off, I'd just like to give props to the team for being so efficient with breaking up into the different groups. It was truly a well oiled machine of coordinated effort that definitely impressed me. @Mickeynerd17 made some bold moves as our first post-merge Project Leader and really set a tone for the rest of the game. All in all I was really impressed with this project, granted there was definitely a noticeable weak point among the three that probably just has to do with my distaste for the "Book Report" style. Let's get into it.

On the presentation side I think you did a lot of things right. Loved all the maps and different art styles mixed with solid reference photos. It really is a shame that it came down to @AceAstro getting eliminated because the 3D artwork he put in really is incredibly solid. I also loved how you weaved a narrative through how the different attractions would change throughout the years. If I had one tweak I could make I would maybe go the "Fan Blog" route and have this be a Yesterland style website instead of just a document, but visually what's here is still really great.

The Wild Dalmatian Escape

This one really impressed me for how much it fit the tone of Mr. Toad. You really nailed it down to a T. One big thing I really like about these dark rides as a whole is they don't feel totally restrictive to being copy and pastes of the attractions they're supposed to be replacing just with different skins. With this one you get a madcap car ride that has a bit more intensity than Mr. Toad with some solid jump scares in line with Snow White and even a couple really impressive set pieces. I loved the idea of a multi-level dark ride room. Very much felt like a "What If..." stepping stone to stuff like the Indiana Jones arena room and also in line with something like Knott's Calico Mine Ride as far as scope for the general time period goes.

The pacing was really on point. I definitely got a great old-school Fantasyland vibe to it. Again, the mix of Mr. Toad and Snow White elements proves potent. I love stuff like Cruella overlooking Hell Hall and the Horace and Jasper jump-scare as nods to Scary Adventures while still wearing the Toad DNA all over its sleeve. If I had one nitpick I would say that one a realism point of view the attraction might go on a couple scenes too long, especially considering how ambitious the multi-level room is. That being said I don't really have a solid grasp on the scale of Florida's Toad so for all I know it's totally in-line with the original attraction. While I think Dumbo was the overall strongest for how insanely creative and dark that attraction gets, I think this one might be the most feasible overall as a popular IP from the era that actually would hold up a lot more than Toad would for a general audience.

Bambi: Song of Seasons

Unfortunately I'm going to have to get a little harsh with this one, just because I think it's really wasted potential. Bambi is maybe with the exception of Fantasia THE definitive "Animation as Art" film of the Walt era. The entire movie is just wall to wall nature and atmosphere and with the exception of a few key scenes I think the characters and story are actually one of the weaker points of the overall piece compared to the gargantuan heights the actual animation reaches. With that said, going with a pretty darn standard book report style was about the most disappointing way you could have gone about this considering just how abstract the film is in general.

I mean, Pan has book report qualities. I follows a linear story a lot more than Toad does. But it also shuffles up the events and is much more about the atmosphere than telling a top to bottom story. Dark rides are some of my favorite projects every season, but they can derail if it feels like I'm just reading a synopsis of the plot without much engagement in regards to how it would translate to a physical space. I mean, there's definitely some good stuff there. I thought the cabin was a bold choice as a queue that ultimately paid off with a really good transition. I just really kind of phased out when I realized just how much of this was just regurgitating the plot of the movie. It's a solid dark ride to be sure. Nowhere near the trashfire that Yogi Bear was ( :p ), but definitely a weak spot in the overall lineup. I really wanted to see something a lot more abstract with this and I really think you had the source material to pull off something way more interesting than a book report.

Dumbo's Frightening Flight

This isn't the most ambitious or groundbreaking concept of the season so far, but it's EASILY my favorite. I've recently taken on a new found fascination with just how dark the original Florida Snow White ride was, and this captured that mood absolutely brilliantly. Dumbo is a film I really don't instantly associate with being scary. As a kid I always found the Pink Elephants more fun and creative than intimidating and the darker context of the mother situation and the Baby Mine of it all definitely went over my head. Well hot damn did you lean head long into it. I'm practically giddy for how freaking creative this thing is. Here we go with the blending of projects again because I love how this is a potent combo of Peter Pan tech with the Snow White mood and relentlessly dark atmosphere. Hell, you even worked in a bit of Pinocchio as I felt the Ringleader had a bit of a Stromboli presence to him.

I thought it was a really creative take to have the ringleader be the main villain of the ride in spite of being a somewhat neutral force in the film. I also really loved how antagonistic the tone is just in general. Starting the ride with the other elephants starring at you maliciously as Baby Mine is playing in the background. I mean...come on, man. That's EASILY chef's kiss territory as far as a tone setter goes. It's almost a Thesis of sorts for how the rest of the attraction is going to go and that sort of mood genuinely blew me away. It emulated just how weirdly sinister the original Fantasyland Scary Adventures was in such a super specific way. My one nitpick here is I don't think the flying sections were all that well explained or thought out and I think the ride would have worked just as well with Casey Jr. as the ride vehicle or something like that. With that said, brilliant touch with the clown makeup being another wrinkle in the creep factor. Overall this scratched my "Urban Mythology" itch when it comes to creepy old school dark rides in just the right way and it's genuinely my favorite component to any project I've read in a long while. Easily the biggest creative homerun of the season so far in my humble opinion.
giphy.gif

Sharon&Susan

My initial thought is a funhouse that's been remodeled heavily (in of course the deadliest/gruesomest way possible) by either the supernatural monsters or a creepy cult that lives inside the house.
Expanded pitch:
The clown scientist, Dr. Quack always played.. well a quack for adoring audiences in the circus. But no one thought he was an actual mad scientist until he locked himself in the funhouse for months and strange disappearances of supplies, animals, and even many performers of the circus occurred. The management of the Circus decided that enough was enough and sent the police inside the funhouse. Inside, the police noticed that the funhouse was now filled with deathtraps that police escaped. But the police never found Dr. Quack as before they could reach his laboratory, they were killed alive by what Quack had been creating this time, an army of human-animal hybrids.

Guests now must make it through the "fun house" and do what the police were unable to do confront Dr. Quack. But watch out he's gone insane and is willing to kill anyone who may get in his way.

Thoughts? I can ditch the Dr Moreau-like scare actors if we want to avoid anything scary with circus animals, but I'd prefer to keep it as it avoids any of the cliche scary monsters/killers/etc.

PerGron

Expanded pitch:
The clown scientist, Dr. Quack always played.. well a quack for adoring audiences in the circus. But no one thought he was an actual mad scientist until he locked himself in the funhouse for months and strange disappearances of supplies, animals, and even many performers of the circus occurred. The management of the Circus decided that enough was enough and sent the police inside the funhouse. Inside, the police noticed that the funhouse was now filled with deathtraps that police escaped. But the police never found Dr. Quack as before they could reach his laboratory, they were killed alive by what Quack had been creating this time, an army of human-animal hybrids.

Guests now must make it through the "fun house" and do what the police were unable to do confront Dr. Quack. But watch out he's gone insane and is willing to kill anyone who may get in his way.

Thoughts? I can ditch the Dr Moreau-like scare actors if we want to avoid anything scary with circus animals, but I'd prefer to keep it as it avoids any of the cliche scary monsters/killers/etc.
I like it. My only thought here is that the traps and whatnot should be 1860s Wild West esque to fit the theme. If you can make sure to fit that time period (should be fine, it’s just the traps and police that made me think it sounds a bit modern). Maybe instead of police it’s a sheriff and his deputies? Just to clean up the language a bit

Sharon&Susan

I like it. My only thought here is that the traps and whatnot should be 1860s Wild West esque to fit the theme. If you can make sure to fit that time period (should be fine, it’s just the traps and police that made me think it sounds a bit modern). Maybe instead of police it’s a sheriff and his deputies? Just to clean up the language a bit
I'll definitely keep that in mind while writing this. Thanks!👍

By the way @Tegan pilots a chicken since Priest has transfered you to ride overlays, maybe you do one ride and I do another? I don't think an overlay for one ride needs two people working on it. IMO It'd be fun if we had both Timber Mountain Log Ride and Calico Mine Ride decked out (Log Ride already has a retheme, but we could do something that more closely ties in with the circus theme). If we want to keep the Haunted Hootenanny theme for Log Ride, Voyage to Iron Reef would be a prime target for an overly since 95% of it is just shooting at screens. Could even keep it the same during the day and have our overlay be a Scary Farm exclusive.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
I'll definitely keep that in mind while writing this. Thanks!👍

By the way @Tegan pilots a chicken since Priest has transfered you to ride overlays, maybe you do one ride and I do another? I don't think an overlay for one ride needs two people working on it. IMO It'd be fun if we had both Timber Mountain Log Ride and Calico Mine Ride decked out (Log Ride already has a retheme, but we could do something that more closely ties in with the circus theme). If we want to keep the Haunted Hootenanny theme for Log Ride, Voyage to Iron Reef would be a prime target for an overly since 95% of it is just shooting at screens. Could even keep it the same during the day and have our overlay be a Scary Farm exclusive.
Yeah let’s do it!
I’ll pull them both up on YouTube and let you know. Are you for sure doing Timber Mountain??

Sharon&Susan

For the log ride, I'm thinking of theming it to being themed to a Witch's "magic lantern" (an early movie projector), where inside ghosts, goblins, and werewolves all come together to party. Final drop represents the projector being splashed with water to prevent it from burning (as seen on lift hill). Nothing too scary as kids will ride it during the day, scare actors will be added at night as to be expected.

ThemeParkPriest

Hi team! I’ll be back from the roadtrip tomorrow and will be active again. Anything left for me to do?

Also wondering if there’s been any talks about presentation this round… if not, I have an interesting idea…
We haven't settled on a presentation mode, so we are all ears!

I paired you up with @PerGron to work on the Freak Show maze. There is also an opening with the show for the event. If you or someone else is interested, it would be working with PerGron as well.

NateD1226

For the second scare zone, I was thinking of turning the Carnival scare zone into a beach disaster where performers are dressed like they just got attacked by a shark. There could optical illusions and more booths that have hidden jump scares in them. I just think it works better for the Boardwalk. Besides, I am putting a carnival in Camp Snoopy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom