Trip Report Teaching our niece about #DDTRW!

To all that come to this happy trip report, welcome!

I will explain what #DDTRW is a bit later when it becomes a relevant part of the report. but first, a Quick back story: We, (my wife and I) have been to WDW dozens of times since we have been together. We have visited on joint trips with my family, her family and even both sides of the family at the same time. We have most often visited with just each other. But this trip was something we have been trying to do for several years now and it finally worked out! We have wanted to bring one of our nieces or nephews on a trip with just us. We love having them spend the night or an entire day with us when we are at home but we have never experienced WDW with them sans parents.

My sister and brother were always a bit nervous about sending one of their kids with us when they were younger and I cant blame them since we do not have kids and have not been through all the scenarios that could arise with a young one in tow. But now they are all over the age of 10. We originally asked my sister since her kids have AP's but she kept stalling on getting back to us, (she is still a bit overbearing with her kids). A week or so later I was speaking with my brother and he informed that they may be skipping their annual Disney trip due to his work and also having some major house projects done. We asked if we could take his daughter "C", who will be referred to as "C-Minor" in this TR since my wife is also C. He agreed without hesitation!

My parents had a trip planned and were bringing all the grand kids with them and I figured since she would be visiting again with us shortly after, that the best thing to do would be to get her Annual Pass rather than have my brother spend money on two separate park tickets. C and I decided we would pay for her AP since my brother had a lot to pay for with his house projects. Plus, this would allow us to bring her on future trips if all went with this trip! C-Minor was absolutely over the moon when she learned she would be returning to WDW just a few weeks after her recent trip. And soon after, the trip was upon us!!!

IMG_20180709_052055.jpg

We headed out of Atlanta just before 6 am and were hoping to avoid traffic. As usual, I was up at 4 am and ready to leave at 5, but it somehow took C an extra hour to get ready :banghead:

C-Minor just woke up, hopped in the car and promptly fell back asleep for the first few hours of the trip.

IMG_20180709_074825.jpg

We did not encounter any Atlanta traffic and made excellent time on the road. We stopped in Gainseville (Fla.) to grab a quick bite at Maple Street Biscuit Company. C and her mom fell in love with this place on their last trip when they tried it. It was seriously good and highly recommend it. We ordered our food to go and hooped back into the car (with lots of napkins so we didnt make a mess).
IMG_20180709_112220.jpg

We got back on the road and made a quick stop for my "go-go juice" at the Publix in Apopka.

IMG_20180709_142000.jpg

Soon after we were under the arches!

IMG_20180709_133152.jpg

A few minutes after that we were home!

IMG_20180709_134349.jpg

Welcome to Jambo House at AKL!!

Up next, checking in to our room and heading to our first park!

Thanks for following along and sorry for the text heavy intro. Lots more pics to come!! Have a great day!

Longers

P is so funny - he cracks me up - his one of those people you’d want to vacation with - when you said about the robot suit I thought he was going to ask to trade - cant wait to see what he gets for the pen. He could be starting a “thing” here Like the longers status.

Looks like @ great time is being had by all :)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 5 contd...

With a Disney pen in hand, P was on a mission as we made our way to the front of the park. He was now seeking out CM's who actually had pins to trade. He wanted to make the first ever trade of a Disney Pen for a Disney Pin. At least we figured it would be a first, and judging by the first few reactions he got from CM's when attempting a trade, it seemed as if they had never been asked for this type of trade. After getting shot down for the second time, I told him he had to be more emotional with them and appeal to their heart. Of course P had something in mind, so on the next attempt, he gives the CM his standard spiel which was, "I am trying to make the first ever trade of a pen for a pin". The CM said no, so P looks up at her with big puppy dog eyes and says, "but mom's sick". I had to turn around so the CM wouldnt see me holding in the laughter. I still crack up when I think about it. That little dude is crazy! He had such a sad look in his eyes and just stood there waiting for a response. The CM was moved by his sad story and consoled him but said she couldnt make the trade. He tried another CM, and again, the CM was moved, but would not make the trade. C and my sister didnt see him try the first time but saw the second one and they were cracking up, but C mentioned that he shouldnt say, "moms sick" as it wasnt right. I reminded her that my sister (his mom) actually had a rash break out on her foot and was wearing a sock over it to keep it protected, so technically, she was sick in a sense.

He tried again at the stand near the restrooms by the park entrance and this CM didnt seem to have any emotion or at least didnt buy it, It was still great entertainment for me. We only had one last shot before we got to the bus stop and that was at the the little gift shop/hut outside the park entrance. We made our way in and P prepared for his performance. He approached a man behind the counter and went through his routine. The man would not trade and when P went for the the emotional uppercut, a sweet lady CM approached who was wearing pins, but she reached in her pocket and pulled out two pins and asked him which one he wanted. P was stunned as we didnt expect that to happen. He looked up at me with a look of "what do i do"?!! I told him, make the trade! As he did, I got my phone out to actually document the moment this time!

Screenshot_20180806-095256.png

Screenshot_20180806-095337 (1).png

Screenshot_20180806-095310.png

We did it! P thanked Donna, the CM for making the first ever pen for a pin trade and she was happy to assist an we all had a good laugh about it. The other CM (the man next to her in the photo) was the one who shot him down at first but wanted to join in the celebration once the magic had happened. We didnt pay him much attention though. Your loss buddy!

P thanked Donna one last time and we headed to the bus stop as we reveled in our success!!!

Up next...pool time and HS!

Rista1313

Day 5 contd...

With a Disney pen in hand, P was on a mission as we made our way to the front of the park. He was now seeking out CM's who actually had pins to trade. He wanted to make the first ever trade of a Disney Pen for a Disney Pin. At least we figured it would be a first, and judging by the first few reactions he got from CM's when attempting a trade, it seemed as if they had never been asked for this type of trade. After getting shot down for the second time, I told him he had to be more emotional with them and appeal to their heart. Of course P had something in mind, so on the next attempt, he gives the CM his standard spiel which was, "I am trying to make the first ever trade of a pen for a pin". The CM said no, so P looks up at her with big puppy dog eyes and says, "but mom's sick". I had to turn around so the CM wouldnt see me holding in the laughter. I still crack up when I think about it. That little dude is crazy! He had such a sad look in his eyes and just stood there waiting for a response. The CM was moved by his sad story and consoled him but said she couldnt make the trade. He tried another CM, and again, the CM was moved, but would not make the trade. C and my sister didnt see him try the first time but saw the second one and they were cracking up, but C mentioned that he shouldnt say, "moms sick" as it wasnt right. I reminded her that my sister (his mom) actually had a rash break out on her foot and was wearing a sock over it to keep it protected, so technically, she was sick in a sense.

He tried again at the stand near the restrooms by the park entrance and this CM didnt seem to have any emotion or at least didnt buy it, It was still great entertainment for me. We only had one last shot before we got to the bus stop and that was at the the little gift shop/hut outside the park entrance. We made our way in and P prepared for his performance. He approached a man behind the counter and went through his routine. The man would not trade and when P went for the the emotional uppercut, a sweet lady CM approached who was wearing pins, but she reached in her pocket and pulled out two pins and asked him which one he wanted. P was stunned as we didnt expect that to happen. He looked up at me with a look of "what do i do"?!! I told him, make the trade! As he did, I got my phone out to actually document the moment this time!

View attachment 302455

View attachment 302454

View attachment 302453

We did it! P thanked Donna, the CM for making the first ever pen for a pin trade and she was happy to assist an we all had a good laugh about it. The other CM (the man next to her in the photo) was the one who shot him down at first but wanted to join in the celebration once the magic had happened. We didnt pay him much attention though. Your loss buddy!

P thanked Donna one last time and we headed to the bus stop as we reveled in our success!!!

This is cracking me.. I think he should have held out for something better than a Pin... did you ever see that show that was on TV a few years ago, where people started trading something as small as a pen, and ended up with a boat or a car? So crazy, but I think P could do it!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Day 5 contd...

View attachment 302455

View attachment 302454

View attachment 302453

I love that kid!! :D

fractal

My son Sterg took an Entrepreneur class at college. They had a "trade-up" project. You start with a pen and try to trade up to higher value items. Sterg eventually ended up with $50 gift card. Apparently some guy over the course of a year traded all the way up to a house. Something for P to shoot for!

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 5 contd...

After we left AK, we got back to the resort for a dip in the pool. C stayed in the room since her knee was not feeling good (she has an old injury that acts up sometimes). Minor and I took a swim and C wanted a sandwich from Leaping Libations (the poolside bar/quick service at BW pool). They have a fresh mozzarella sandwich with tomatoes and arugula that she LOVES. We ordered some sandwiches and Minor wanted C to make her a sandwich in the room but asked to get some Ample Hills for dessert. So off we went....

IMG_20180713_160454.jpg

She tried the cotton candy and despite her facial expression, she really liked it. She was laughing at something when i took the photo. Back at the room we settled in for lunch. I had ordered the turkey club sandwich (also from Leaping Libations).

IMG_20180713_142008.jpg

It comes with a maple bacon spread (in the small cup you see), which I wasnt sure how I would like it but it was very good and so was the sandwich.

IMG_20180713_141919.jpg

Minor had a PB&J with string cheese on the side. Her an C had done some grocery shopping before we left and C only buys organic stuff and Minor really enjoyed her aunties "healthier" style of eating. C did allow Minor to buy some Pringles even though they are not organic.

After lunch we showered up to prepare to meet my sister and the boys at HS. The girls of course took forever getting ready so I enjoyed some ale on the patio while I waited.

IMG_20180713_171633.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom