Trip Report Teaching our niece about #DDTRW!

To all that come to this happy trip report, welcome!

I will explain what #DDTRW is a bit later when it becomes a relevant part of the report. but first, a Quick back story: We, (my wife and I) have been to WDW dozens of times since we have been together. We have visited on joint trips with my family, her family and even both sides of the family at the same time. We have most often visited with just each other. But this trip was something we have been trying to do for several years now and it finally worked out! We have wanted to bring one of our nieces or nephews on a trip with just us. We love having them spend the night or an entire day with us when we are at home but we have never experienced WDW with them sans parents.

My sister and brother were always a bit nervous about sending one of their kids with us when they were younger and I cant blame them since we do not have kids and have not been through all the scenarios that could arise with a young one in tow. But now they are all over the age of 10. We originally asked my sister since her kids have AP's but she kept stalling on getting back to us, (she is still a bit overbearing with her kids). A week or so later I was speaking with my brother and he informed that they may be skipping their annual Disney trip due to his work and also having some major house projects done. We asked if we could take his daughter "C", who will be referred to as "C-Minor" in this TR since my wife is also C. He agreed without hesitation!

My parents had a trip planned and were bringing all the grand kids with them and I figured since she would be visiting again with us shortly after, that the best thing to do would be to get her Annual Pass rather than have my brother spend money on two separate park tickets. C and I decided we would pay for her AP since my brother had a lot to pay for with his house projects. Plus, this would allow us to bring her on future trips if all went with this trip! C-Minor was absolutely over the moon when she learned she would be returning to WDW just a few weeks after her recent trip. And soon after, the trip was upon us!!!

IMG_20180709_052055.jpg

We headed out of Atlanta just before 6 am and were hoping to avoid traffic. As usual, I was up at 4 am and ready to leave at 5, but it somehow took C an extra hour to get ready :banghead:

C-Minor just woke up, hopped in the car and promptly fell back asleep for the first few hours of the trip.

IMG_20180709_074825.jpg

We did not encounter any Atlanta traffic and made excellent time on the road. We stopped in Gainseville (Fla.) to grab a quick bite at Maple Street Biscuit Company. C and her mom fell in love with this place on their last trip when they tried it. It was seriously good and highly recommend it. We ordered our food to go and hooped back into the car (with lots of napkins so we didnt make a mess).
IMG_20180709_112220.jpg

We got back on the road and made a quick stop for my "go-go juice" at the Publix in Apopka.

IMG_20180709_142000.jpg

Soon after we were under the arches!

IMG_20180709_133152.jpg

A few minutes after that we were home!

IMG_20180709_134349.jpg

Welcome to Jambo House at AKL!!

Up next, checking in to our room and heading to our first park!

Thanks for following along and sorry for the text heavy intro. Lots more pics to come!! Have a great day!

LeighM

I'm late to the party, but loving reading anyway. Is your sister older than you? I find that my brother, being older, is used to getting his way because he is the one my mother considered as the "responsible" one. He is used to calling the shots and doesn't like it when I am independent. Perhaps your sister just isn't used to you being the one doing the planning while she tags along? I love my brother very much, too, but sometimes he treats me like a child. Family dynamics, huh? I'm glad it sounds like you worked it out with your sister, though...it could have been very tense if you hadn't!!

That reminds me of my situation. My husband is the youngest of 3 boys and his oldest brothers are used to deciding everything. I'm the only child so I always got my way. It was quite an adjustment when we finally got married. I was planning a DCL cruise for our anniversary and thought it would be nice to have his brothers and their spouses join us so we could all bond as a new family unit. But one of the brothers took it upon himself to start inviting others on the trip and got the oldest brothers permission and completely skipped over my husband, whose wife was actually planning the trip for my anniversary! He was sooo mad bc one of the people invited was one he didn't like or get along with. I shut the trip down real quick after that. This only child doesn't appreciate anyone taking over my trip LOL. Tough way to teach others that things change with becoming adults and getting married - childhood rules don't always apply and new boundaries are set.

Songbird76

Welcome aboard! And ya, she is the oldest and wen we were younger she was the angel tat could do no wrong in my parents eyes. She actually was a good child who never got into trouble. My brother and I on the other hand gave my parents quite the challenge. My mom had to retrieve he and I from Disney security on more than one occasion for goofing around in the parks. The always took us down in the utillidoors at MK to "hold us" until they found my mom. She was furious at the time, but now loves us for allowing her to get to see the utillidoors without having to pay for a tour, lol.
That is hilarious!!! I bet you could be a handful! My brother and I were both pretty good kids who didn't get into trouble, got good grades, etc. But my brother was a lot more like my mom in character than I was, so she related to him better and he could do no wrong, where I reminded her of my dad, who she hated. My brother was used to getting his way because if there was a choice to be made about where to eat, or what to do, 9 times out of 10, she sided with him. To this day, he can't handle someone else holding the reigns. It sounds like perhaps your sister is like that, too...just not comfortable if they aren't the one in control. I think it's good for them to relinquish it every once in a while. It may cause friction, but sometimes it's necessary. Good for you for not backing down!!
Out of curiosity, how did they find your parents when you were "held"? That was probably pre-magic band, right?

Songbird76

That reminds me of my situation. My husband is the youngest of 3 boys and his oldest brothers are used to deciding everything. I'm the only child so I always got my way. It was quite an adjustment when we finally got married. I was planning a DCL cruise for our anniversary and thought it would be nice to have his brothers and their spouses join us so we could all bond as a new family unit. But one of the brothers took it upon himself to start inviting others on the trip and got the oldest brothers permission and completely skipped over my husband, whose wife was actually planning the trip for my anniversary! He was sooo mad bc one of the people invited was one he didn't like or get along with. I shut the trip down real quick after that. This only child doesn't appreciate anyone taking over my trip LOL. Tough way to teach others that things change with becoming adults and getting married - childhood rules don't always apply and new boundaries are set.
Exactly! I am kind of a pushover, but my husband has helped me a lot in standing up for myself. We went to Chicago and stayed with some relatives in a small town a couple of hours out. We invited my brother to go into the city with us to see some museums, and he said it sounded great....then he just sat there the whole morning on his computer while we waited for him to get ready. We finally told him we were leaving in 30 minutes to catch the last train that would get us there in time to see at least ONE of the museums we had planned on, and if he wanted to go, he'd better be ready when we left. We gave him a 5 minute warning before we walked out the door and he screamed that he wasn't ready. We weren't going to miss the train. He came stomping out the door as we pulled out of the driveway and he was huffing and puffing and "You COULD have waited for me!" Um....no...we couldn't. And we got to the train station as the train pulled in. We would have missed it if we hadn't left when we did, and if we hadn't walked out the door without him, he wouldn't have rushed out. He just really needed to realize he wasn't the one calling the shots...it was OUR trip that we were offering to share.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, @wdisney9000 ! Your sister's antics just remind me of so many similar run-ins with my brother. And of course we always get through it. We love them, quirks and all.

John Dulmage

Day 4 contd...

We had an ADR to catch and it was another first time experience for C Minor. We were surprised when we asked her if she had ever eaten there and she said no. Where am I talking about? Via Napoli:cool:!!

Before we left Norway, C wanted to show Minor the "hidden sword" in the waterfall.
View attachment 300525

I had never seen it until C showed me a few months ago.

Soon we were at Italy and we were HUNGRY!

C can speak Italian, not 100% fluently but she understands pretty much anything said and can hold a conversation for the most part. Our waiter, Marcello came over to take our drink orders and him and C shared a little back and forth in Italian and Minor was absolutely mesmerized by it. She asked C how she knew Italian and said she wanted to learn too! From this moment on, the two of them were constantly practicing Italian for the rest of our trip. I snapped a pic of the two of them discussing it and sent to my brother because he asked us to let him know if she liked Via Napoli or not.

View attachment 300528

He immediately responded to tell me that the position Minor was in (hands crossed over knees) is whats he does when she is 100% interested and paying attention. Auntie C for the win!

We ordered the arancini (risotto balls) for an appetizer and C and I got the Moretti Blonde for our beers. Minor is somewhat of a picky eater but willing to try new stuff. She definitely liked the risotto!
View attachment 300527View attachment 300526

The girls continued with their Italian lesson but paused long enough for me to get a picture.

View attachment 300529

Marcello our waiter returned and checked in on the lesson and offered a bit of help. He was not only a great server but also very fun spirited and had a lot of fun interacting with the girls. He was making sure that Minor was getting the correct accent on her words. She was LOVING it!

Soon our main order arrived. What else to order for a first timer at Via Nap other than pizza!

View attachment 300531

Minor had mentioned that she is not a fan of thin crust pizza, but we assured her this was not like Dominoes or Pizza Hut. She ordered some spaghetti and meatballs just in case she didnt like the pizza. While she tried her pasta and was not looking, C reminded me that I am number 1.

View attachment 300530

Minor loved her pasta and she tried a slice of the C's half of the pizza (cheese) and really liked it as well. Via Nap was earning highest marks with her!

We had absolutely no room for dessert after all the beer and pizza. Minor wanted to tell Marcello "thank you and have a nice day" in Italian so C prepped her and they practiced for a few minutes until he came back with the bill. Minor was nervous but in the cutest way possible and then she told him, "grazie buona giornata". Marcello let out a big "prego!" in response. He told Minor how great her accent had improved since we arrived and Minor was blushing. Marcello was absolutely wonderful and made her first experience one that she will never forget. The girls wanted a picture with him and of course he obliged.

View attachment 300533

On our way out, C made sure to let the manager know how great our experience was thanks to Marcello!

After a great experience and wonderful meal, I got the message that our room was ready so we headed back to BW. The girls were in full blown Italian lessons the whole way there. Shortly after we we there!

View attachment 300535

Up next... Minors reaction to BWV and of course some pool time!
I had been ready to comment that with C minor along that C was unable to remind you of your #1 status on this trip, but I guess I was wrong!!

slipperalwaysfits

WOW!!! Disney Rebels when you were younger! But how fun!! o_Oo_O And lucky for your mom for getting the extra special "tour" of the Utilidors! :cautious: Glad Minor is having a great time. The food at ESPN Zone looks yummy!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 5

Up bright and early to get to AK. As usual, I was up much earlier than Minor and C and enjoyed some quiet time on the patio. It was nice to be able to drink coffee again.

IMG_20180713_071625.jpg

The girls were up and ready soon after

IMG_20180713_074334.jpg

Minor said the murphy bed was very comfortable. She took a few extra minutes to wake all the way up.

Shortly after we headed to the bus stop. It was 8:30 am when we arrived at the bust stop. AK opened at 9 am. We were not worried about roped drop. We just wanted to get an early start so we could be back at the hotel before the mid-day heat set in, especially AK which can get (or at least seems) more hot than the other parks.

The sign at the bus stop had a posted time of 8:40 for arrival of the AK bus. soon after it said, 8:45. No big deal, it happens. Soon after it switched to 8:50. Then 8:55. Then it actually went back down a few minutes, only to go right back up. By 8:55 there was quit a large crowd at the bus stop waiting for an AK bus. By 9 am, the people had begun questioning the CM who was standing there with the ipad. She had no answers aside from "a bus is on the way". Ten minutes later, the crowd was even larger and more people were questioning her as the arrival time continued to increase every few minutes. She still had no answers. I dont think those CMs have any knowledge or especially control to get a bus sent out. Im pretty sure they are just there to make people feel better, lol. Soon after, a bus pulled up that said "VIP". The CM that was at the bus stop boarded the bus and we all figured she had actually got a bus sent out to get us. The CM walked right past the driver,... sat down.....and then the bus pulled off. It was quite odd that she just left and had done nothing to help. The crowd was pretty upset now. One man picked up the phone that hangs on the wall and was barking at someone on the other end. About 4 buses for Disney Springs had pulled up since we had arrived. Another Springs bus puled up and the mob of people were all over him demanding answers. Poor guy was a bit overwhelmed. He got on his radio and said a bus was on the way. Finally at 9:15 a bus for AK pulled up. It was definitely the longest time we have ever waited for a bus.

We were finally at the park and made our way back to Everest hoping the line was not too bad. I had to stop at Island Mercantile for a new Fuel Rod so the girls headed back to Everest and I would meet them there. On my way out of IM, I noticed the line for FoP. It was all the way out of Pandora and past Nomad Lounge.
IMG_20180713_091733.jpg

You can see the CM holding the "Line starts here" sign. And you an see Nomad Lounge up further to the right side of the picture. Usually they snake the line out to the bridge leading out the back side of PAndora but not today apparently. That line was INSANELY LONG. No way Jose.

The girls had text me that there was just a ten minute wait. I told them to hop in line and ride as it would take me a few minutes to get back there and it was already too hot to rush back there and I didnt want to be dripping in sweat. I stopped for a few pics on the way since I had some time.

IMG_20180713_092923.jpg

IMG_20180713_093410.jpg

Soon I arrived and the girls were waiting out front. It was still a short wait so we all hopped back in line. We ended up riding twice, which meant the girls had 3 rides on Everest already. Minor likes a high ride count by the end of day.

wdw201819438029831_412433755384_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpg

wdw201819438043378_412433551984_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpg

wdw201819438053978_412433559626_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpg

IMG_20180713_094814.jpg

My sister and the boys had arrived at the park and we met up with them by the Tree of Life...

Up next...shenanigans with my nephew

PineapplePrincess

Sorry for bombarding you with "likes". I've been avoiding your report so I could finish up my own. Your view at BWV looks almost identical to ours. I think it's great that you took C-minor. She seems very appreciative. I really enjoy your reporting style...looking forward to the rest!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
By 9 am, the people had begun questioning the CM who was standing there with the ipad. She had no answers aside from "a bus is on the way". Ten minutes later, the crowd was even larger and more people were questioning her as the arrival time continued to increase every few minutes. She still had no answers. I dont think those CMs have any knowledge or especially control to get a bus sent out. Im pretty sure they are just there to make people feel better, lol

Clearly when there is a problem, they should allow the CMs to call dispatch--and request a bus or buses, sent over to the area. Just having a CM there, while giving them no authority to do anything, is not smart--not to mention, the CM on the front lines has to take the brunt of the frustration, from the guests. This is a really stupid system.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
That's a ridiculous wait for a bus. And It's pretty awful that the CM's seemingly have no idea what's going on.
Clearly when there is a problem, they should allow the CMs to call dispatch--and request a bus or buses, sent over to the area. Just having a CM there, while giving them no authority to do anything, is not smart--not to mention, the CM on the front lines has to take the brunt of the frustration, from the guests. This is a really stupid system.
While I have no idea if the CM's at the bus stop actually have any control over anything, it sure seems like they dont. I have never seen one make anything happen. And the signs displaying the arrival times are pointless, IMO. The arrival time often changes and in the end, the bus is gonna get there when it gets there. If a person feels better seeing an estimated time on a screen, so be it.

But our experience was a perfect example. What type of system are they using which makes the arrival time display 8:40 but the bus arrives 40 minutes after that? If there was an accident or delay for some reason, that is completely understandable and they should just move the estimated arrival time to display 30 or 40 minutes, which would allow a guest to make other transportation arrangements to get to the park (uber, lyft, Minnie Van). But they choose to keep pushing the arrival time back 5 minutes at a time over the course of 40 minutes. Which just keeps giving you false hope in small doses, lol

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 5 contd...

A few other pictures from our expedition at Everest...

IMG_20180713_094034.jpg

representing for @Longers

IMG_20180713_095723.jpg

IMG_20180713_095625.jpg

IMG_20180713_094822.jpg

As I mentioned prior, we met up with my sister and the boys after Everest. Our first stop was Island Mercantile for some a/c and C was looking at the CM's pins for a possible trade.

IMG_20180713_115511.jpg

We goofed around while C was pin trading and then got ready to make our way towards Dinosaur. C got in the goofy spirit of things too with a little help from my nephew P.

IMG_20180713_120150.jpg

P reminds me A LOT of myself when I was his age. Always down for a joke or a prank. As we exited Island Mercantile he and I were discussing pint trading and he asked how do you know if a CM has pins or not. I told him you just have to ask if you dont see them displaying any. Of course, he decided to take this one step further and make a joke out of it. He looks at me and says, "lets make this awkward". So he approaches one of the photographers (knowing that they do not pin trade) and asks if he can trade pins. The photographer says that he does not have pins, to which P replies, "well lets just trade anyway". The photographer just stands there with an odd expression, and of course P does the same. I was cracking up because P just stood there starring at him. It was a definite awkward few moments. The man finally says, sorry, I dont have any pins. P paused for a moment and then said, "what do you have to trade then"? The man chuckled and said "I got nothing". P finally ended the awkwardness and let the man return to work. But I could tell there was a spark in his mind about how to take things to the next level with this new game of his, but first we traveled back in time.

IMG_20180713_125940.jpg

Our group was pretty large and there were only two other people in our rover besides us. I hope they appreciated their on ride photo being completely ridiculous looking

wdw201819438228805_412436893333_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpg

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 5 contd...

After Dinosaur, we headed to Pandora. First I had to stop and get a fresh beer. We stopped at Dino Bite Snacks. While I was ordering, P decided to test out his new version of his game. He approached the window I was at and asked the CM if he could trade pins. She responded that they dont have pins, but P was prepared for that! He said, "well good, because neither do I, but I do have this", and he pullsout a straw. He asks what she can trade for it. I was just standing there laughing as the CM shrugged. P says, in a tone as if it was mandatory "we have to trade something". The CM turns to the other CM and says, "this boy is asking to trade a straw for something". The other CM had the most puzzled look on her face and then says "we dont trade". Again, P was prepared and went right into bargaining. He politely said, "I dont need a pin, anything will do, just make a trade". The CM was chuckling at his determination. She looks around and grabs a pen from beside the register and offered it to trade. P accepted and thanked the lady. She was laughing and said it was the first "trade" she had made. It was a Disney pen too, so P was pleased and told me he had upgraded from a straw to a pen. Thats when I saw the spark in his mind happen again. He paused while he was in deep thought and then as he looked upward and tapped his index finger on his chin, he said, "I wonder what I can get for this pen"? I knew I was in for more laughs.

After our successful bartering, we got to Pandora for our FP's for FoP.

IMG_20180713_104858.jpg

The Squad!

IMG_20180713_105300.jpg

A few of the boys had never ridden so it was fun to see the expressions on their faces of pure joy when we headed out.

When we exited, the guy in the robot exoskeleton suit was out doing his thing. P and I were watching as he answered questions to the crowd, and P turns and says, I dont think those are his real legs. He was referring to the mans legs strapped into the buckle as he sits in the suit. We watched for a moments and agreed ha he is most likely standing on some type of stilts which allows him to move the suit around and that the pants and boots you see strapped into the foot braces are not real.

The man asks if their are any other questions. P raises his hand and the man calls on him. I already knew what P was up to. He asks the man "can you move your legs"? The man says "sure, I can even walk around" and proceeds to move the robot legs of the suit and says, with a big smile on his face, "see, nothing to it"! P is standing there with a very unamused expression and says to the man, who is still smiling, "no, move your human legs". There was a decent crowd and they were looking at P as he said it, then they shifted their curious gaze back to the man. His smile faded and he was at a loss for a few moments. I looked over to my sister and C and they were turned away from the crowd because they were cracking up. I was doing everything I could to hold in my laughter, but P just stood there with a stone cold look on his face. The guy seriously took a few moments as he was no doubt not prepared for that question and it was now obvious that the human legs were indeed fake. He finally puts together a decent excuse and explains that if he moves his "human" legs it could cause the suit to malfunction as he is sitting on a pressure plate that is sensitive to his leg movement, blah, blah, blah. P allowed him to finish and then said , Ok, and shrugged his shoulders and walked away. I was crying with laughter as we walked away.

P and I stopped for a time honored family tradition of my sisters horrible picture taking skills that in no way allow the viewer to understand the picture is at WDW.

IMG_20180713_102940.jpg

We saw the wait for NRJ was not too bad so we hopped in line and took a quick boat ride. Weve all seen the Shaman a bazillion times so no need to post it. After NRJ it we started to make our way to the front of the park. We were all gonna meet at HS for the evening and we wanted to get some pool time and RnR. But P was on a mission as we made the journey to the front of the park. He was determined to succeed and I was there to help!

Up next...more antics with P and I. Stay tuned!

amjt660

Premium Member
Great TR as always
You and C are great to take minor on this trip and show her the BW and DDTRW

But I have to admit I was
Shocked to see this
7C08717C-7D46-4CA4-A274-EE28BD1B261A.png

Who is this guy in the weird shirt
I did not even know you owned anything other other than v neck white!!

( and yeah I know - go drink some bag milk!!
You come backs are A-MAZING!!!)

Max

Cetta

I have enjoyed your trip so far! I actually paused after reading your experience at Via Napoli to book dinner there for our day at Epcot in January. I can't wait! I love that you took C-Minor with you! She seems so sweet...there is no way I would take any one of our nephews with us on a trip, they are not as sweet or well-behaved as Minor seems. Can't wait to read more!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
hahahahaha P sounds Hilarious!!!
Your nephew is hysterical!!
He and I have had many fun and comical adventures together. I would watch paint dry with that kid because I know it will somehow be fun.
Great TR as always

Shocked to see this
View attachment 302351

Max
Thanks for checking in Max! and for the record, C demanded that I wear shirts with color because all of our Disney pics were starting to look the same with my white classic white t.
I have enjoyed your trip so far! I actually paused after reading your experience at Via Napoli to book dinner there for our day at Epcot in January. I can't wait! I love that you took C-Minor with you! She seems so sweet...there is no way I would take any one of our nephews with us on a trip, they are not as sweet or well-behaved as Minor seems. Can't wait to read more!
Thanks for following along! Minor really is a sweetheart. We cant wait for the next trip with her. Glad to hear our TR helped to make Via Napoli a place you want to try! We love it. And dont forget about II Mulino oer at Swan and Dolphin. C and I gave it a shot on the recommendation from @lostpro9het and @Zipitidoda and it was an amazing experience. Not sure if the kids would like it, but the service was some of the best we have ever had!

Zipadeelady

Great TR as always

Shocked to see this
View attachment 302351

Max
Had to laugh Max, I have to do a double take when Puddin isn't wearing his white tee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom