Trip Report Teaching our niece about #DDTRW!

To all that come to this happy trip report, welcome!

I will explain what #DDTRW is a bit later when it becomes a relevant part of the report. but first, a Quick back story: We, (my wife and I) have been to WDW dozens of times since we have been together. We have visited on joint trips with my family, her family and even both sides of the family at the same time. We have most often visited with just each other. But this trip was something we have been trying to do for several years now and it finally worked out! We have wanted to bring one of our nieces or nephews on a trip with just us. We love having them spend the night or an entire day with us when we are at home but we have never experienced WDW with them sans parents.

My sister and brother were always a bit nervous about sending one of their kids with us when they were younger and I cant blame them since we do not have kids and have not been through all the scenarios that could arise with a young one in tow. But now they are all over the age of 10. We originally asked my sister since her kids have AP's but she kept stalling on getting back to us, (she is still a bit overbearing with her kids). A week or so later I was speaking with my brother and he informed that they may be skipping their annual Disney trip due to his work and also having some major house projects done. We asked if we could take his daughter "C", who will be referred to as "C-Minor" in this TR since my wife is also C. He agreed without hesitation!

My parents had a trip planned and were bringing all the grand kids with them and I figured since she would be visiting again with us shortly after, that the best thing to do would be to get her Annual Pass rather than have my brother spend money on two separate park tickets. C and I decided we would pay for her AP since my brother had a lot to pay for with his house projects. Plus, this would allow us to bring her on future trips if all went with this trip! C-Minor was absolutely over the moon when she learned she would be returning to WDW just a few weeks after her recent trip. And soon after, the trip was upon us!!!

IMG_20180709_052055.jpg

We headed out of Atlanta just before 6 am and were hoping to avoid traffic. As usual, I was up at 4 am and ready to leave at 5, but it somehow took C an extra hour to get ready :banghead:

C-Minor just woke up, hopped in the car and promptly fell back asleep for the first few hours of the trip.

IMG_20180709_074825.jpg

We did not encounter any Atlanta traffic and made excellent time on the road. We stopped in Gainseville (Fla.) to grab a quick bite at Maple Street Biscuit Company. C and her mom fell in love with this place on their last trip when they tried it. It was seriously good and highly recommend it. We ordered our food to go and hooped back into the car (with lots of napkins so we didnt make a mess).
IMG_20180709_112220.jpg

We got back on the road and made a quick stop for my "go-go juice" at the Publix in Apopka.

IMG_20180709_142000.jpg

Soon after we were under the arches!

IMG_20180709_133152.jpg

A few minutes after that we were home!

IMG_20180709_134349.jpg

Welcome to Jambo House at AKL!!

Up next, checking in to our room and heading to our first park!

Thanks for following along and sorry for the text heavy intro. Lots more pics to come!! Have a great day!

imahistorygeek

Thanks. I'm planning another AKL stay next summer and I don't know which to choose. I've stayed at Kidani before and liked it but I'm wondering if I should give Jambo a try. Of course, it could all come down to availability. I'm planning on doing a savannah view. Do you think Kidani tends to have longer walks to the room than Jambo?

We haven't walked the long walk in a while, but from my recollection, it seems to me that Kidani has the longer walks. If you've never stayed at Jambo, definitely try it out!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Despite not getting a text, our room was ready! 5th floor, Savana view. C-Minor was very excited to see a few giraffe outside the balcony when we walked in.

In Jambo, isn't the 5th floor the Club level, or is it all just converted DVC rooms (not Club)? I vaguely recall from some years back, that the 4th and 5th (or part of both) were considered "Club" with the lounge on one of them (serving both).

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
If I'm not mistaken, there are only about 10-15 actual rooms designated "Club Level" on the top floor above the lobby. But a few years ago we stayed in a cash room on the 4th floor and had club level access. The 5th floor rooms have the DVC plate next to room number and the elevator indicates 5 the floor as DVC
IMG_20180709_215414.jpg

When we checked on this trip I actually asked the CM if I could pay extra to have access to club level and she said it's possible to do that but the concierge has to make the call based on how many people are currently staying club level. I asked C if she wanted to check with concierge but since we were only there for three days and we were well stocked on beer, we decided not to. So technically I have no idea if it's possible to.do that based on what the CM said . I kept meaning to go to concierge and ask if it's possible but whenever I was in lobby there were several people in line for concierge and I never asked.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
We haven't walked the long walk in a while, but from my recollection, it seems to me that Kidani has the longer walks. If you've never stayed at Jambo, definitely try it out!
We have never stayed Kidani but have had several rooms at Jambo that were a good hike from the main lobby. A few years ago we had a room that was 3 rooms shy of the very end of the corridor. It was such a long walk that I stopped going to get coffee in the morning when I woke up and we just got coffee when headed out for the day. We bring a small.coffe maker now. Even tho the rooms have coffee makers, we don't trust what type of weird things could have happened with them over the years, plus, C is a germaphobe and basically assumes everything is "contaminated", lol. She brings a Ziploc bag to Disney specifically to put the tv remote control in so we don't get said contamination.

if Kidani has rooms that are possibly farther than the one we stayed in, I feel for those people.

lostpro9het

Thanks. I'm planning another AKL stay next summer and I don't know which to choose. I've stayed at Kidani before and liked it but I'm wondering if I should give Jambo a try. Of course, it could all come down to availability. I'm planning on doing a savannah view. Do you think Kidani tends to have longer walks to the room than Jambo?
If you are staying on points, all the Jambo rooms are close to the lobby. The cash rooms at Jambo have the potential to be way out there just like Kidani.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
If you are staying on points, all the Jambo rooms are close to the lobby. The cash rooms at Jambo have the potential to be way out there just like Kidani.
We just stayed on points on our room was pretty far away from the lobby. Not sure if it is common for DVC, but our room was the last hallway before the end of the corridor. It cold have just been the first available room and they gave it to us. Not complaining either, just pointing it out.

lostpro9het

We just stayed on points on our room was pretty far away from the lobby. Not sure if it is common for DVC, but our room was the last hallway before the end of the corridor. It cold have just been the first available room and they gave it to us. Not complaining either, just pointing it out.
Its relative I suppose. The furthest Jambo DVC room might only be a third of the distnce of the furthest Kidani or Jambo cash room.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 1 contd....

After a great first experience at TSL, we headed to ToT. C-Minor rode ToT for the first time last year with me and agreed to ride it only if I hold her tight. I agreed and after the first drop she wanted to raise her arms so she moves my arm and says, "Im ok, dont hold me anymore"! She has ridden many times since then. So as we are waiting to board she keeps going back and forth on whether she wants me to hold her or not. I asked her why she was nervous since she has ridden it a lot. She explained that each visit she is a little nervous for the first ride but is ok after that. She went back and forth probly a dozen times leading right up to the drop. Right as it gets dark and we are about to drop, She grabs my arm and says, yes, hold me! lol I reach over her lap and grabbed the handle bar. I still had one free arm to strike a pose.

wdw201819035489641_8247642097_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpeg

After we exited, C-Minor told me she wouldnt need me to hold her again next time we rode but it still feels good to know the young ones still need their uncle from time to time:)

We were getting a little tired from the long day and it was very humid out so the girls decided that a dip in the pool at the hotel was the best choice. But hold on. We were at Tower of Terror and being in the Twilight Zone was fitting for the phone call I was about to get. First, a quick back story leading up to the call...

Remember how I mentioned that we had originally asked my sister about taking her boys with us but didnt get a response from her? Well, we had booked our trip and I hadnt talked to my sister at all. My brother and my parents knew about our trip but I had not talked to my sister about it. Not that I was upset, we just hadnt spoken. So, about two weeks before our trip she calls me to let me know she booked a trip too. She had spoken to my mom and learned the dates of our trip. She booked her trip to arrive the day before us. I was on the couch with C watching our favorite show (Ghost Adventures) when she called and I put it on speaker. We were excited to learn they would be there as well and we were discussing which resort they were at (Wilderness Lodge) and any dining places we should try and reserve for us all. And thats when things got a little odd.

My sister had mentioned she was so excited we would get to spend time with her boys at Disney like we originally asked (even tho she knew we wanted to have a trip with just us and the kids). So when we were talking about dining reservations I mentioned C-Minor was a picky eater so we needed to pick some places she would like. My sister was surprised to learn she was joining us, (apparently mom didnt tell her that part for some reason). She actually seemed a bit upset and paused for a few moments, then said, "I thought you wanted a trip with the boys but now your bringing her"? C and I gave each other and odd look and I reminded my sister how she completely ignored my (several) call and texts so we asked my brother about C-Minor joining us and he answered on the FIRST call and agreed. My sister went into a rant about family and spending time with her boys and she booked the trip so we could all be together, blah, blah,blah. I told her that was great so whats the difference if C-Minor (A FAMILY MEMBER) joins us as well?? The more merrier I said! She mentioned that C-Minor had just had a trip to Disney with my parents. I reminded her that her boys were on the very same trip!!! so why did it matter??!!! I was kind of upset now with my sister being a bit childish. I told her she was acting ridiculous and quite frankly she sounded jealous or ticked off that our sweet 11 year old niece was going to Disney. I told her she could call me back when she wanted to be an adult again. She gave me an insincere apology and we moved on. Then a few moments later, she said it would still be a fun trip because her boys were bringing 3 of their friends with them. What??!! Now I was just shaking my head in absolute confusion. I asked why she just ranted about family and spending time with her boys, but they are bringing not one, or two...but 3 friends? And she was upset that we are bringing our (also her) Niece? She basically avoided answering the question and said it was a last minute decision or something along those lines. I really didnt feel like continuing the conversation at this point so I told her I would call her the next day. We had several (cordial) conversations leading up to the trip and the subject didnt come up again. We just planned to keep it loose and meet up when we could. So....back to the trip

I had spoke to my sister earlier in the day and let her know we had arrived. As we were leaving ToT gift shop, my sister calls and says they want to meet up and all the boys want to ride SDD. I told her we were tired and were heading back to the hotel and did not want to wait for them to arrive from WL and plus we didnt have FP's for SDD and didnt want to wait in the line after waiting for them to arrive. She basically ignored what I said and told me they were at the bust stop and would be there soon. I repeated what I had just said (politely) and told her we were leaving so dont be upset if we were gone when they got there and that we would meet up tomorrow or they could come to AKL and swim with us if they wanted. She tried to pull the "but the boys really want to see you guys" routine. I told her then they should come to AKL and swim with us. She didnt like that idea and said dont worry we will see you later. She was definitely not happy when she hung up. I was too tired to care. Her husband (who I am very god friends with) called me to let me know she was being fussy and not to worry about it and he had told her to relax. I love my sister dearly but she is used to getting what she wants and does not like when things dont go her way. I am used to it, but she has never acted that way about Disney. It was all very weird to me. This long story leads up to the next day, so thanks for sticking with me here, if you actually are still here, lol. Anyway....back to the trip, and some actual pictures!
IMG_20180709_210557.jpg

We got back to AKL and headed for the pool! I mentioned in my live report that I had not actually gotten into the pool at Disney in several years. This trip I decided it was time to take the plunge. As we got ready in the room, I put on my swim trunks that I had bought several years ago. I didnt account for getting older and somewhat out of shape. When I put them on they were snug. Very snug, My stomach and love handles were basically pouring over the waist band like a play dough factory when you would squeeze the dough through one of the holes. C and Minor had a good laugh and were calling me Puddin'. With my self esteem crushed I made my way to the gift shop and found a proper sized pair of trunks and met them at the pool. I felt much better not looking like I was smuggling a spare tire in my gut. I hopped in and we had a great time swimming and I even tried the slide. C-Minor wanted to have an underwater hand stand competition. Of couse she won, lol. I had really forgotten how much fun the pools at Disney are.

The girls stayed in a little longer practicing hand stands and I grabbed a beer a the bar

IMG_20180709_211315.jpg

C told me to ask if they had Stiltsville Pilsner, and that I would like it. They did, so I ordered one. It is from a Miami brewery and was very good. This would not be my last Stiltsville. It s a hoppy pilsner and is quite refreshing! After the pool, Minor and I hit the Mara for some pizza and chicken nuggets. We took our food to the room, ate, and immediately passed out watching the Disney channel. Great first day!

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Puddin :hilarious: Big mistake telling us!!

And family, you've got to love em, even when you don't want too :rolleyes:.
After reading your story about your sister it makes me glad that I am an only child. :hilarious: I hope her drama calms down for you guys.

I have to agree with @Zipitidoda that you really shouldn't have told us about Puddin' :happy: I think that will stick for a while.
Am I right in, unfortunately, sensing some family drama coming up?
I will gladly own my new nickname. C and Minor kept it alive and well throughout the trip so I am used to it now.:):cool:

And our family (like most others is chalk full of drama on any given day. I just never happened in regards to a Disney trip. And please know that I love my sister very much and after day two all was well. But yes, there is more drama coming, lol

fractal

Boy can I relate to the family drama! Let's just take everything personal to the "nth" degree whether justified or not. Seems like you handled it pretty well - I'm much more of a pushover (but getting better).

I can also relate to putting on the "older" swimsuit, but working on that as well.

Looking forward to the next update!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom