TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

xstech25

I disagree with everyone saying DHS should be adding instead of replacing. Little Mermaid Show, Beauty & The Beast Show, Muppets, (and Backlot Tour before it closed) all have one thing in common: they suck. Definitely due for replacements. These things cost a lot of money to operate why should they expand and keep those attractions when they could replace them with things that are actually going to be good? I would be in favor of razing over entire sections of the park and re-doing them.

xstech25

DHS has some of the best Disney attractions like Tower of Terror, Toy Story Mania, Rockin' Rollercoaster, and Star Tours, but in my opinion the rest of the parks attractions are pretty mediocre. The updated Great Movie Ride is even more of a snooze-fest then it was before, as soon as that guy starts talking it's like instantly counting sheep. Then go to the right you have Disney Jr which is fine, Little Mermaid which needs to go, Animation which could use some love, the big empty building where Narnia used to be, One Mans Dream which is fine, Toy Story Mania which is great. Then past Toy Story Mania things fall apart.
Lights Motors Action - I guess it's OK but that area combined with Backlot Tours plot is prime real estate for re-development. Backlot Tour, Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground, and Streets of America is basically all worthless empty space. With Toy Story Mania in that area as well as the empty Narnia building they could make a huge PIxar land and put that IP to work. Yes you would lose the Christmas lights but it being empty for 75% of the year I think it's a fair trade off.

Then you run into the little Muppets plaza...yea, could do away with that. Ironically that's right next to Star Tours, so that area combined with some other parts of Echo lake could be redeveloped entirely into Star Wars. Take out that Indiana Jones show from the 1800s and that opens up a lot of space as well for a new e-ticket.

Keep Hollywood Blvd and Sunset the way they are with the exception of Beauty & The Beast (Beauty & the Beast and Little Mermaid could both be replaced with new shows, maybe Tangled or something, no need to redevelop those parts of the park).

And there you have it: huge attendance increases at DHS while getting rid of much of the out of date stuff that needs to go. I think things like this are likely to happen and the only reason they haven't started yet is because of Avatar + Rivers of Light. You have to remember they are pumping a ton of money into DAK right now and Avatar is quite possibly the most expensive project they have ever done inside any of the parks.
There is a reason DHS has been neglected the past few years and i'm fairly sure it's intentional so they can do a big park rebranding down the road.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

What do you have against the Muppets! It could use some love and expansion, but not demolition. That's taking it too far!

The guy is right. After all, the Muppet theater at Disneyland got turned into a Frozen theater and nobody misses the old show a bit. As for an expansion, that won't happen. Disney has other, more popular properties it could put in DHS - especially properties that have an actual Disney history and connection. I wish Frozen had gone into the Muppet theater at WDW - better there than shoehorning it into Maelstrom in World Showcase.

Matt_Black

After all, the Muppet theater at Disneyland got turned into a Frozen theater and nobody misses the old show a bit.

To be fair, DL plays to a different base. Look at the Country Bears- they weren't that popular over on the west coast. Now, if you tried to take them out at WDW, there very well might be riots. I'm exaggerating, but you can bet many would be quite vocal in their disappointment.

You mean a puppet account? Sorry, I'm not into puppets of any kind. :D

And you just assume I'm talking about you. You might not like puppets, but you certainly allow your strings to be pulled! :p ;)

The Rocketeer

To be fair, DL plays to a different base. Look at the Country Bears- they weren't that popular over on the west coast. Now, if you tried to take them out at WDW, there very well might be riots. I'm exaggerating, but you can bet many would be quite vocal in their disappointment.

And you just assume I'm talking about you. You might not like puppets, but you certainly allow your strings to be pulled! :p ;)

I garuntee you that I would be picketing! #SaveCBJ

Good thing WDW only has one Country Bear theater. An attraction/ride can't really fit in that space anyway. Disneyland had two and now it's pooh;)

xstech25

Universal took out Jaws for Harry Potterland 2 and I think it's safe to say that worked out pretty well for them. I don't see what the big deal is getting rid of Indy and Muppets for Star Wars Land. The whiners will come back anyway to see Star Wars.

Last edited:

Kman101

To be fair though, it IS time to replace Beauty and the Beast and Mermaid. Neither are problems but it's time. Popular or not. I don't agree about Muppets. They aren't a problem and that's just a personal like/dislike thing.

Yes DHS needs to EXPAND. It has areas they can replace things with new things but overall they need to expand and not remove something that works just because ... my issue is them wanting to pave over Echo Lake for Star Wars. They can expand not replace in that case. Why must they target Echo Lake? Why were Muppets once targeted (and they were, insiders said so before, but maybe not seriously considered) .... replacing the backlot gives them a HUGE footprint (including streets of america). And they have a lot of room behind Star Wars/Indy.

I'm torn on the Indy stunt show. I think they COULD keep it. Is it dated? Yeah, I'd like an update but closing it right now wouldn't be a smart move IMO. Focus on the Backlot/LMA/SoA. But eventually I guess it will close.

FigmentJedi

To be fair though, it IS time to replace Beauty and the Beast and Mermaid. Neither are problems but it's time. Popular or not. I don't agree about Muppets. They aren't a problem and that's just a personal like/dislike thing.

Yes DHS needs to EXPAND. It has areas they can replace things with new things but overall they need to expand and not remove something that works just because ... my issue is them wanting to pave over Echo Lake for Star Wars. They can expand not replace in that case. Why must they target Echo Lake? Why were Muppets once targeted (and they were, insiders said so before, but maybe not seriously considered) .... replacing the backlot gives them a HUGE footprint (including streets of america). And they have a lot of room behind Star Wars/Indy.

I'm torn on the Indy stunt show. I think they COULD keep it. Is it dated? Yeah, I'd like an update but closing it right now wouldn't be a smart move IMO. Focus on the Backlot/LMA/SoA. But eventually I guess it will close.
Plus there's also that nice chunk of parking lot they can eat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom