News Tarzan's Treehouse Incident - 11/10

Tanna Eros

Not every nook and cranny sitting behind plaster is readily available for maintenance. I doubt you punch a hole in your living room wall every could months to see if the framing is rotted and then patch it up. You inspect what you can see (attic/basement).

While I'm sure they can see a lot of it, they can't see all of it.

When redoing the walls in my house, we found rolled up newspapers for insulation.
I read that Pearl Harbor got attacked by Japan.

(From El-Super)
Isn't it a little weird that there were witnesses to this "emergency" that could so easily testify to the actions and intent of the guest? I'm not really in any position to dispute them, but I wouldn't think that someone crossing the bridge would draw attention unless they were doing something outrageous.

There's that using the ropes to push up and elevate oneself to do a big jump on the bridge, that is attention getting- it's almost a bully move, but I'm wondering, I know this sounds silly for a grown man to do, if there was an actual kicking down on the board, like a martial arts kick. On a suspended bridge, most of the action is alternating hand grip and moving along, unless, as I said, someone is making a show of the jump to show that there's some bouncing to come.
If it is true that he was demonstrated safety, and made it unsafe, the joke's on him.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

When redoing the walls in my house, we found rolled up newspapers for insulation.
I read that Pearl Harbor got attacked by Japan.

There's that using the ropes to push up and elevate oneself to do a big jump on the bridge, that is attention getting- it's almost a bully move, but I'm wondering, I know this sounds silly for a grown man to do, if there was an actual kicking down on the board, like a martial arts kick. On a suspended bridge, most of the action is alternating hand grip and moving along, unless, as I said, someone is making a show of the jump to show that there's some bouncing to come.
OMG IT DID??????!

lazyboy97o

Not every nook and cranny sitting behind plaster is readily available for maintenance. I doubt you punch a hole in your living room wall every could months to see if the framing is rotted and then patch it up. You inspect what you can see (attic/basement).

While I'm sure they can see a lot of it, they can't see all of it.

While we aren't in the Pressler era anymore, you would still think a bridge with exposed wood that holds people and is over people would get inspected regularly for dry-rot. Perhaps they can replace the wood with iron and make it faux-wood like they do in other parts of the park. The drawback? It's heavy and you don't want iron falling on people if something were to happen.
Cement plaster almost never has rear access and that is not the issue. There would be exterior signs of poor and failing adhesion.

Iron really isn’t used as a construction or theming material. Aluminum would probably be more appropriate for such a use.

DrAlice

Honestly though, these incidents are worrying me. Budget cuts are what led to Mark Twain and Big Thunder in the 90s/00s.

Could we be returning to the Pressler/Harriss days?

I feel you. This is what I'm afraid of also. There seems to be a lot of budget cutting lately. *cough* Legionella in water towers *cough*.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’m blaming the guest, yes. When has jumping on a suspended bridge ever been considered a good idea or ever been encouraged when it comes to safety?

Isn't that the entire purpose of the bridge out on TSI? to rock and bounce, etc. That's on water.. but the idea is the same... the thing is intentionally left to move, swing, etc... because that's part of the appeal of the not-ordinary.

Epcot_Imagineer

Not trying to defend the guest but I come from a family of engineers... when you are engineering you are trying to design for the absolute stupidest possibility that could occur; and then some. Things should be build to withstand multiple times higher than the worst possibility you could expect to have. If you are expecting worse case scenario Bruce Lee himself stomp-kicking your bridge, you should actually build the bridge to tolerate ten Bruces stomping at the same time!

This is why you say "Please keep your arms and legs inside the train at all times!" and then design your coasters so that even if someone did stick their hands out they'd be safe!

Ismael Flores

I am actually surprised they haven't added a safety net directly under the wooden planks. I believe they did that to the bridges in the DCA play area.

I also wonder if they can just replace the wooden slats with prefabbed slats that look like wood and can take more beating

Phroobar

Look strong wood!!
full

full

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom