Tapestry leaving?

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by wdwcrazy
World Showcase needs something to draw people to it in the evening. Most of Future World shuts down at 7:00pm so you need somthing in WS in the evening. I think WS does defiantly need a parade.

I really have to disagree -

I personally LOVE WS at nite...strolling around the countries in the evening is one of my very favorite things to do.

For me a parade would ruin the serene beauty of it all...

ToTBellHop

I honestly do not see Spaceship Earth changing much. It is a staple of this park, the first thing people see, and it is still (and will always be) popular. It needs to be refurbished (i.e. oil it and fix the sound!), but it is still a great ride. It is like History 101 in 10 minutes:) Great ride. Maybe a new narrator, though...I like Jeremy Irons, but do people know who he is any more? What did he do after voicing Scar? I'm thinking maybe James Earl Jones or Patrick Stewart--need that kind of voice to tell the history of the world. As for the serenity of World Showcase, it is certainly a great feeling you get strolling around, but I still feel as though a fun parade linking the countries does a good job at showing unity between the countries and it parallels the finale of Reflections of Earth, "Celebration" (I call it the finale, cuz I think it's the best part...best music, best fireworks).

cymbaldiva

Not sure if I agree with that either...

I'm not thinking that I can deal with Darth Vader voicing the history of the world! :lol:

Capt. Picard is a bit ahead, but still....

For me they're too character associated - I'm thinking Jeremy Irons should be left well enough alone

ToTBellHop

Darth Vader, Capt. Piccard, or Scar? Most famous people are character associated:) Wouldn't it be great if every time Spaceship Earth was about to break down, Capt. Piccard came on and said "Computer! Full stop! RED ALERT!" and then red lights started flashing but the second the ride started up again, he came on again and said "Number One...Warp Nine to Sector 8. Engage...". Sorry...too much Star Trek for me....

cymbaldiva

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's hilarious! Why yes, I am a Trekkie BTW! :lol:

My point is that when Jeremy Irons does the narration, I don't think of Scar...I'm just listening to a well-educated voice.

If I were listening to James Earl Jones or Patrick Stewart, I personally would be too busy thinking about their respective characters to pay attention to SE!

Testtrack321

Testtrack's Can't Miss-List of Fixer Ups at Epcot

-Spaceship Earth- THIS RIDE AS IS NEEDS TO STAY. Although here are some rehab sugestions. One is to make all the audio digital so no more half narations when Iron's fades out. Make the ride system quieter, possibly run it on magnets like the people mover. Change the end to add more things and make all the AA's move. Update and add new things to past history sceans.

-Living Seas- oh, god where to start? How about a simulator? Replace the boring movie with a simulator to the bottom of the sea to Sea Base Beta (the rehabed Sea Base Alpha).

-Wonders of Life- update all the exhibits and remove the 80's 'gayish' (not to offend anyone) bright pink and bright colors look. Update the simulator or replace it and update Cranium Command to a more modern scean and digital stuff.

-World Showcase- a prade ISN'T needed, but if Epcot was to have another celebration, it would need one. I think they should do a 'two' thing here; two new countires, two new thrill rides, two new gentle rides, two new movies.

kennyj29

My Opinion

I think SE should keep it's outer shell becausethat's the trademark of Epcot, however dump the inside, I'm getting tired of it. Change is good!!! Plus the ride vehicles are the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in. My head hurts from the hard plastic every time I get out of there!!! Wonders of Life should have never opened to begin with. Hated it from the first time I went in there. I agree that they should add rides, tame ones and a couple of thrill rides but not upside down roller coasters something a little tamer ( I by the way love upside down roller coasters!). Something onthe Matterhorn level but more updated and daring! Living Seas is dead, there is never any one in there. The only reason we even go that way is to see the manatees and eat dinner. Defnite need of improvemet. I love the countries but wish they would just change somethings to make it new. Once this park is done, I think itwill be great again!!!:sohappy:

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by Testtrack321
Testtrack's Can't Miss-List of Fixer Ups at Epcot

-Spaceship Earth- THIS RIDE AS IS NEEDS TO STAY. Although here are some rehab sugestions. One is to make all the audio digital so no more half narations when Iron's fades out. Make the ride system quieter, possibly run it on magnets like the people mover. Change the end to add more things and make all the AA's move. Update and add new things to past history sceans.

-Living Seas- oh, god where to start? How about a simulator? Replace the boring movie with a simulator to the bottom of the sea to Sea Base Beta (the rehabed Sea Base Alpha).

-Wonders of Life- update all the exhibits and remove the 80's 'gayish' (not to offend anyone) bright pink and bright colors look. Update the simulator or replace it and update Cranium Command to a more modern scean and digital stuff.

-World Showcase- a prade ISN'T needed, but if Epcot was to have another celebration, it would need one. I think they should do a 'two' thing here; two new countires, two new thrill rides, two new gentle rides, two new movies.

I think you have a LOT of great ideas! :sohappy:

I do think the '80's color scheme can stay at WOL though - the 80's are really in right now!

Michael72688

Originally posted by DogsRule!
Not to destroy anyone's arguments, but Epcot sees what...9,000,000+ guests/year? Aren't we being a bit melodramatic saying it is dying? I mean, I am a disney fan, too, so very critical of the company, but I don't think Epcot is dying...it's a fun park, especially now that I'm older and can sit through some of the slower stuff. Still, I do think it needs a good parade...get the team that made Jammin' Jungle Parade; that is exactly the type of parade that Animal Kingdom needed, so I assume these people know what they are doing (granted, it is some of the same team that made Tapestry). As for a roller coaster...well, I am a fan, but it would be tough to get one in...I certainly do not see it in Future World, as it would be stupid, but the idea to put a Matterhorn style ride in World Showcase would work, provided Disney found a way to keep screams from echoing around World Showcase...certainly could be done, if the mountain were back far from the World Showcase Promenade and not too high, with a building in front of it to block noise. What does it say when you hear screams around World Showcase. I can see it now, "SOMEONE IS GETTING MUGGED IN GERMANY!!!!!!!"

This park could use some fixing, and with the budget Project Gemini is rumored to have, it would be enough...I don't think it's a dying park, just out-dated...one thing that will suck, however, is when Epcot is basically closed for a few years to fix it...would disney want to do this after opening a new, major attraction? I don't honestly think so, therefore, I don't see this park being amazing in 3 years. It would take upwards of ten years to do this right...my personal feeling is that the projects in the most need are: Wonders of Life redone, Living Seas Redone, new country added to Epcot, Maelstrom updated, new shows for The Land, in that order. You may think Journey Into Imagination is not the same magic (and I agree), but be realistic. It has been redone twice in five years; it is staying how it is. Maybe if they did say...two projects at a time, it would work out fine, but, again, that could take up to ten years....of course, there's no better time than the present...

This may be true but look at the numbers overall. After 9/11 Epcot's Attendance was down 13% (or something like that) and even now, I'm almost positive that once again Epcot had the biggest drop in numbers!

ToTBellHop

Yes, there was a drop this year, which is why the park needs changes--it is seeing not even a million more guests than MGM, which is off, considering this park is 7 years older. However, I don't see this drop as a sign of the park dying...it is still the 3rd most popular park in America, behind the Magic Kingdom (1st) and Disneyland (2nd).

kennyj29

Epcot is Dying

The reason Epcot has big numbers is because of the restaurants. Many, many people go there just to eat not because they love the park..............If you notice, it probably has the most night or late afternoon attendance of any park. It's just a guess, but when I leave, it seems more people are coming in. Epcot has great restaurants. If people are coming it's for Illuminations (reflections of earth) or for dinner. During the day, it's not crowded.

ToTBellHop

I probably don't need to remind you, but this is a big park...and just about everything is inside, so it can look emptier than it is. As for people walking in as you leave, there is a good reason for that, especially this time of year: Epcot is open until at least 9pm every night of the year, so, naturally, it is a favorite as a nighttime park, especially when the other parks all close by 7pm. Keep in mind that most park visitors have park hoppers, and therefore do not spend a full day in any one park. That being said, the park is more popular, in general, in the evening...but, for obvious reasons (park hours), Future World is more popular in the morning and afternoon. I believe the split hours turn people off to the park in the morning--they'd rather go to another park that is completely open by 9am. Also realize that the park naturally feels busier at night because everyone is on the World Showcase Promenade, in stores, etc. and World Showcase has fewer open spaces than Future World...due to World Showcase Lagoon, of course. Naturally, a park like MGM, much smaller, but seeing roughly the same number of guests, seems packed (especially along Sunset Boulevard...it gets crazy...). Makes me wonder how Hollywood Boulevard and the soon-to-open Sunset Boulevard at Cali Adventure will feel if this park ever becomes popular...

Sir Hiss527

Originally posted by Michael72688
They have even mentioned on local news in Orlando that SE will be closing in 2005 or so and will reopen as Time Racers in 2007!

No, why would they close down the attraction that Walt Disney designed, and change it. Oviedo oHH. GO LIONS

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Sir Hiss527
No, why would they close down the attraction that Walt Disney designed, and change it. Oviedo oHH. GO LIONS
Disney has already done that many many times. Also, since when did Walt design Spaceship Earth?

cymbaldiva

Re: Epcot is Dying

Originally posted by kennyj29
The reason Epcot has big numbers is because of the restaurants. Many, many people go there just to eat not because they love the park..............If you notice, it probably has the most night or late afternoon attendance of any park. It's just a guess, but when I leave, it seems more people are coming in. Epcot has great restaurants. If people are coming it's for Illuminations (reflections of earth) or for dinner. During the day, it's not crowded.

Or could it be because Epcot is open later than the other parks?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom