Tantruming Children..has it ever been yours?

Mark In KY

Last night was glorious. They have a long way to go, but this entire season has been really fun to watch. I would have few complaints if they stopped here.
I want them in the WS, then whatever happens, happens. They have GOT to resign Ellsbury and Victorino has been one heck of a pickup. I love this team.

IN YOUR FACE Bobby Valentine!!

coleandrachel

Absolutely! (and absolutely embarrassing i might add) Last December we took our daughter (3 yo at the time) down for a visit. On the second day of our trip we went to EPCOT, mine and my wife's personal favorite, and things didn't go too well. We had just finished at the front of the park and were making our way to the showcase and my daughter decided to start getting cranky and y. So we went to get her an ice cream to try and cheer her up. She took it, looked at it and threw it on the ground. So naturally, that upset her mother and I and we got on to her about it. What ensued could only be described as the most embarrassing 10-15 minutes (that seemed like 2 hours) of my life. Just screaming and crying and throwing herself on the ground. (I have pictures) Anyways, this is going on and out of nowhere, like an angel sent from heaven, Belle appeared. (I guess she was making her way over to her meet n greet area) She calmed my daughter down and took her by the hand to go pick a flower. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. But yes, it has been MY child, yes I was mortified, and I hope to God that she doesn't recreate this "special" moment when we go back this December....

Mark In KY

Absolutely! (and absolutely embarrassing i might add) Last December we took our daughter (3 yo at the time) down for a visit. On the second day of our trip we went to EPCOT, mine and my wife's personal favorite, and things didn't go too well. We had just finished at the front of the park and were making our way to the showcase and my daughter decided to start getting cranky and y. So we went to get her an ice cream to try and cheer her up. She took it, looked at it and threw it on the ground. So naturally, that upset her mother and I and we got on to her about it. What ensued could only be described as the most embarrassing 10-15 minutes (that seemed like 2 hours) of my life. Just screaming and crying and throwing herself on the ground. (I have pictures) Anyways, this is going on and out of nowhere, like an angel sent from heaven, Belle appeared. (I guess she was making her way over to her meet n greet area) She calmed my daughter down and took her by the hand to go pick a flower. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. But yes, it has been MY child, yes I was mortified, and I hope to God that she doesn't recreate this "special" moment when we go back this December....
And once again a WDW CM works magic.

Mark In KY

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a parent scolding a kid saying "IF YOU DON'T STOP DOING THAT RIGHT NOW, WE'RE NEVER COMING HERE AGAIN!"
Along with many other ineffective/useless/counterproductive phrases. I once heard, "I'll have the Beast eat you" and also, "Mickey will spank you if you keep it up".

JillC LI

Last night was glorious. They have a long way to go, but this entire season has been really fun to watch. I would have few complaints if they stopped here.

My DS was a very happy camper last night. I just wish these games wouldn't end so late on school nights.

Oh, back to the OP. Yes, on our first trip to WDW with DS7 and DD5, we toured the parks nonstop for 4 days straight. We built lulls into the day such as attractions like COP or Mickey's PhilharMagic or meals, but the kids never wanted to go back to the resort to relax because they were having too much fun in the parks. Well on our 4th night, we went to see IllumiNations for the first time, and shortly before it was due to begin, DD simply laid down on the ground and started to sob. It wasn't a tantrum, but it was clearly exhaustion setting in. Nothing we did could soothe her. So we picked her up and carried her back to the buses and headed back to ASM. IllumiNations had to wait until our next trip.

BiffyClyro

My daughter as lovely and well mannered as she is, she is one of the best tantrum throwing kids I know! My episode was not in Disney (She has had a few there too) I was shopping in a Marshall's when DD (4) wanted a tutu. I said no and all hell broke loose. She was screaming on the floor. Of course I'm starting to sweat and have red face knowing people were watching me, just waiting for me to loose it. I picked her up put her over my shoulder walked out of the store. All the while she screamed "YOUR NOT MY MOMMY" Weird thing is that no one stopped me!! LOL It was pouring rain I threw her into the car and I stood outside the car in the pouring rain so I could calm down. Ahhhhhh kids.... they are great! :)

I'm, 21, have no kids and feel so sorry for parents when this happens because they can't help it! I'm a teacher and i know that the nicest kids from the loveliest families can have the worst tantrums ever. Which is why i hate it when people stare at the parents or child in disgust when it happens. :banghead:

Britt

Original Poster
That's not a tantrum. :)

Tantrums are thrown by children who either have just started asking for things they can't have (which is why it usually happens at age two or three) or by children who have figured out that throwing a fit may get them what they want.

Autistic kids don't even think like that and have no ability to control their responses...not a tantrum. :)
Right, but to a nosey stranger...they may not realize the situation and just judge the child as a brat or the parent as "weak" or that their kid is totally out of control. :/

WDW 3

We never took children that were tantrum age. We see a lot of melt downs but we think those are caused by parents. Too long of days, too hot, etc.

luv

Right, but to a nosey stranger...they may not realize the situation and just judge the child as a brat or the parent as "weak" or that their kid is totally out of control. :/
Yes. If you weren't around for the beginning of the fit, there is no way to know what is going on. It could be an autistic kid, a spoiled kid or, as someone mentioned, a kid who was pushed too hard by their parents and has gone past the point of tired to exhausted and out of control. It could be so many things.

You just don't know.

In my case, it just doesn't matter. Seeing children cry is part of the Disney experience and is a passing thing. It bothers me a lot less than the drunks in Epcot, lol. The kids, their parents and the strangers who give them dirty looks will all survive the event. :)

aeillill

My congratulations to your parents, for having the one child in all the land who did cry once, due to disappointment caused by injustice, but who never, ever, even as a toddler, threw any sort of fit.

I'm sure you - obviously - were a special child, but your parents must have been exceptional, as well.

I'd say I'm just average, but you're right my parents are exceptional.

gwhb75

Here's an excerpt from a previous trip report I did (from 2011 - http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/weve-never-done-that-before-boy-do-we-have-a-surprise-for-you-sept-trip-report.805813/). We were at the pool at Beach Club on our first night:

"Suddenly, I could hear some kids yelling at each other. This is one of those “please don’t let it be my kids” moments.... Yup, It was my kids. Something to do with an inflatable tube, the lazy river, and a near drowning? This was the result of too much excitement and not enough sleep catching up to them (not that I’m making excuses, and they both got a very stern talking to (something along the lines of “I hope you like the room we’re staying at because if this happens again that’s all you’ll be seeing of Disney”)). Anyways, they apologized to each other, and we headed back to our room for the night."

G00fyDad

On our recent trip I witnessed one young child, maybe 10 or 11 years old get mad at his father for telling him to get out of the pool for a time out. Yeah, a time out at 11. LOL That crap doesn't work no matter how old the child is. As proof... when the father sat on the steps getting out of the pool and told the child, who I can only assume has never had his a** busted in his life and only received time outs, to go sit with his mother the child open hand slapped the father in the face and screamed "I hate you!!" and stomped out of the pool and over to his mother. The mother told him to sit there for 11 minutes and think about what he did. o_O:confused::jawdrop::mad::banghead: Are you kidding me?!?!!? Take that child back to the room and light his a** on fire with your hand. I stopped swimming, looked at my wife with my jaw open, and thanked God that my children have never acted like that and have only had to have a single swat spanking once in their lives when they were younger. Wow.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom