Tantruming Children..has it ever been yours?

DVC4bestvacations

Years ago my wife and I were having breakfast at the Crystal Palace. There was a couple at a nearby table with their 2yo son. It was obvious they didn't spend much time with him as he was running them ragged. You could see they were not prepared to deal with his behavior. I think the reason you see kids acting out is that the kids and parent don't spend enough time together. Put them together on a family vacation and it spells meltdown.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Years ago my wife and I were having breakfast at the Crystal Palace. There was a couple at a nearby table with their 2yo son. It was obvious they didn't spend much time with him as he was running them ragged. You could see they were not prepared to deal with his behavior. I think the reason you see kids acting out is that the kids and parent don't spend enough time together. Put them together on a family vacation and it spells meltdown.

I'm a Stay at Home mom I spend 12 (non sleeping) hours a day with my 2.5 yo, there a been many times I have been run into the ground by my son. It can happen to anyone. However I try to get us out of the public ASAP when a problem does happen.

KarenKlo

Oh yes-the EE debacle! My youngest had just turned 4 the month before our trip. MY sons are tall. He had already ridden Space M at the MK and could not wait for EE! They measured him on the outside before you get in line and he was tall enough. He was excited thru the whole line!! WE get to the loading area and a CM pulls him aside and measures him again, except now she says he is to short. Let the temper tantrum begin! Cost me a long EE gift shop spree to get him over that one. Not the best way to handle it but his brother and friends got to ride without him!

Mousey21

We got back on Monday and expected a lot worse from our DD who is 3, she's never been anywhere like it before, at all. she had a few moments where she went into a sulk because she didn't want to stop what we were doing and go try something else, which is something we expected, the worst sulk was in discovery cove she didnt want to leave the rays, and Dumbo was one she wanted to go on repeatedly, and also she got a bit sulky if she didn't get to go in the pink elephant, (everything was pink, she bought a pink princess minnie mouse, pink sparkly minnie mouse ears and a pink whale, she even wanted to buy a pirate mickey, because 'it's got a bit of pink on it') but as soon as we did something else she was fine. she had a few days where in the mornings she just wanted to sit in the pram, but it wasn't misbehaving just how she was feeling. the closest to a tantrum we got was in seaworld, we'd just done the penguins and she was very cold, then out in the heat, and started whining and she does this thing where she digs her chin into you, really hurts and kept doing it into my hand, and was trying to run away, so i sat her in the pram, got down to her level and told her until she starts behaving and apologises to me she can stay in the pram and face the wall while everyone else has a nice time. took maybe 5 minutes and she was fine after that.

Mousey21

My middle son did that to me in the middle of a mall in Atlanta. He was 4. We were shopping for his mother's birthday; she was 6 months pregnant with number 3 and home with number 1. I told middle son that we would not be getting anything for him and naturally when we got there he wanted to go to Kaybee toy store. We didn't and that started the meltdown, ending with me carrying him out while he screamed, "Help, I don't know this man, he is not my daddy!!" Nobody stopped us either. Good thing, I was in no mood. He's 29 now and denies this ever happened.

my daughter went through a phase when she was 2 of shouting 'help' when we were in public. it was horrible. and us trying to get her to stop probably didn't make the situation look any better...

bebert

It has been me and I hope/pray/beg it is not me this year during Thanksgiving. Our 3 year old son is a challenge and having both sets of grandparents can lead to a lot of mixed signals. We say NO and then he gives them the "sad" eyes and gets what he wants.

tor29c

My babies knew tantrums would end their day so they never tried to pull that on me. But I also took the opportunity to remind them on the way in what behavior was expected of each of them (4 total). I also made sure I never tested their limits. I knew when nap time was and made sure everyone was tucked in for a little snooze before anyone got to their breaking point. Gave me some down time and allowed all of us to recharge and avoid any ugly scenes from their mother.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Yep. Here's a true story. My daughter can throw fits. Big, unmitigated, dramatic, tears down the cheeks, lying on the ground, fists and feet pounding the pavement at a rapid rate fits. The only solution to this is leave her be until exhaustion sets in. At the age of 3, she was doing this out in front of TSMM. Attempts to calm failed, so I walked away from her (not far, I could still see her), but far enough away that she might look up, see I'm missing and start looking for me (this tactic had worked in the past). However, what I didn't anticipate was that within seconds a huge circle of concerned guests and cast members formed around her. So that they wouldn't be concerned I had to go back to the spot and publicly claim her whilst she was in full on flailing banshee mode. The good news was that when I knelt down next to her and tapped her on the shoulder, the gigantic crowd of interested onlookers shocked her into silence. She was good the rest of the day after that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom