Tangled Area question

tomman710

I disagree.

If a less elaborate bathroom had been built, the malcontents would have been shouting to the rafters about this being "done on the cheap".

I've been a Disney fan my whole life and have monitored the Chorus of Malcontents on the Internet since Disney forums first took off and this is how it's always been: no matter what Disney does, malcontents criticize it. And in the next breath they claim everything Universal does is better (while to me, Universal's parks are so junky).

I disagree. I think if they had said "we are building bathrooms in the skyway station to improve Pan's queue" I don't think anyone would have cared if it was themed to Tangled or whatever (with the obvious caveat that it should fit within the surroundings) but they could have done a cottage facade much cheaper than building this little mini area.

I think it's going to be a beautiful area and I do love that they are going to the trouble of themeing it heavily but my problem with the bathrooms is people using this (and I am not saying you specifically are doing this implicitly) as an example to say "hey look TDO is giving us something, see they aren't cheap!"

I just can't shake the feeling like this is exactly the response they wanted ... "we don't want to spend money on an actual attraction, we HAVE to build new restrooms, hey why not drop 5 mil on that?! IT's a fraction of the cost of an attraction and people will think we are great because we are doing extra themeing in an area we normally wouldn't."

bigeternity

I disagree.

If a less elaborate bathroom had been built, the malcontents would have been shouting to the rafters about this being "done on the cheap".

I've been a Disney fan my whole life and have monitored the Chorus of Malcontents on the Internet since Disney forums first took off and this is how it's always been: no matter what Disney does, malcontents criticize it. And in the next breath they claim everything Universal does is better (while to me, Universal's parks are so junky).

I'm flush with excitement!
I

stevehousse

They need to use the PP bathroom to refurb the ride and make it longer, not an interactive que! What would the interactive que be about? Certainly not neverland because i don't see how that would work???

yensidtlaw1969

I disagree.

Forgive me - I didn't mean to imply that people wouldn't complain. I don't agree that some people "wake up each morning deciding to attack Disney for something...they just need to figure out what it's going to be that day". I was suggesting that there was a time when Disney struck balance between the investments in it's larger and smaller projects, and that when they choose to strike that balance again in Florida there will be less to justifiably complain about.

I don't think the reason people are complaining about the bathroom is that they dislike seeing Disney make grand investments in their parks. I think it's because these grand investments are not being distributed fairly among the park experiences. There's nothing wrong with me buying food for my Pet Parakeet, but if I spend so much money that I have nothing left to feed my child, then there's a problem. Priorities and balance. If this year Disney had made this type of investment in the Tangled Bathrooms and opened New Fantasyland while also properly maintaining Splash Mountain and Expedition Everest (and maybe opening a genuinely innovative new attraction), then there would be far less for people to fairly gripe about. Maybe they still would anyway, but at least then we could call them on it and say "but look, for every Tangled Bathroom there is also something ground-breaking going up". But as of right now, I'm not sure they're wrong for wishing the money was spent where it was more needed.

jklakeview

I find it fascinating that Disney can't ever win on things like the Rapunzel restrooms.

They spent money to theme these and make them impressive...and they are criticized for it in many circles and mocked for it in others.

If they had just made generic bathrooms on the Skyway site, then Disney would have been called cheap and maligned for not doing something more creative.

It's an interesting example of how the Internet's populated to a large part by people who wake up each morning deciding to attack Disney for something...they just need to figure out what it's going to be that day.

I'm definitely not bashing them at all for these themed bathrooms, I just feel like I'm not going to get excited about bathrooms either. I nicer que for Peter pan will look nice, but I'm not going to get excited about that either. I like when Disney adds details so I'm not upset with these bathrooms. I also like that they are opening up room around Fantasyland with this remodel. I feel about the Rapunzel bathrooms the same way I feel about all of the new Fantasnyland; The area is beautifully themed and nice open spaces, however they really didn't add anything to get excited about. The Little Mermaid ride is the highlight for me and I enjoyed it when I rode it. I don't really think that much other parts of the area were exciting. I think that the Tangled area fits well, but bathrooms aren't exciting. I would have much rather had even dark rides about each of the princesses than what they completed. Even the Pinocchio dark ride and the Casey the Train ride from Disneyland would have been nice additions in storybook circus. In the end it's sort of like that turkey from "Griswald's Christmas Vacation". The outside looked gorgoues but when they cut it open, it really wasn't anything great at all.

powlessfamily4

They need to use the PP bathroom to refurb the ride and make it longer, not an interactive que! What would the interactive que be about? Certainly not neverland because i don't see how that would work???

The Darlings bedroom?? Maybe an animotronic Nana .... an area where you can play with your shadow.... Stick your head out the window and see London .. oh yes.. the imagineering could be endless.... think outside the box.

iheartdisney91

All this talk about a restroom cracks me up.
it's a themed bathroom, thats all. Peter Pan had a bathroom, almost, if not
directly across from Rapunzel's tower. It's a bathroom in a themepark. you either go there
to use the restroom, or throw up from motion sickness.

my question is, is the tangled area just a bathroom? or is there something more? like a building next to it for a meet and greet?

Patricia Melton

All this talk about a restroom cracks me up.
it's a themed bathroom, thats all. Peter Pan had a bathroom, almost, if not
directly across from Rapunzel's tower. It's a bathroom in a themepark. you either go there
to use the restroom, or throw up from motion sickness.

my question is, is the tangled area just a bathroom? or is there something more? like a building next to it for a meet and greet?

It's just a bathroom.

There will be no meet and greet there.

If you look at the pictures of the area, there is no room for lines for a meet and greet. It's just a very large women's room, a decent sized men's room, and a family restroom. There is a companion room too, I believe, for service animals as well.

And then there is a large circular area that has a fancy mural from the movie Rapunzel that depicts people at various stages of life...babies...childhood...adult...old age. I think this will be a place where people can either sit on ledges or park strollers while using the bathrooms.

No room for a meet and greet.

And it looks like Rapunzel will be in the Princess Hall meet and greet attraction that is being built where SWSA was located.

Patricia Melton

But as of right now, I'm not sure they're wrong for wishing the money was spent where it was more needed.

There are a lot of things that need improvement/change in the parks. And the one thing the Malcontents get right is that, yes, TDO has a culture where "spending capital in the parks is bad". In my opinion this is because they've now hired several generations of business school graduates who think that the way to get big promotions and have a successful career is to keep cutting budgets...so the creative people get shoved to the side because the MBAs out there say that everything needs to be slashed to save money.

I really hope Carsland is causing some of the top executives to see how penny-wise and pound-foolish this thinking is in a theme park environment...where people will spend more to stay longer in environments that are really top notch.

I don't agree with everything columnist Al Lutz puts out there but he said something recently that has stuck in my mind and I will never forget in terms of TDO: "they stoop to pick up pennies while dollars fly over their heads". They really do this. And that's 100% of where the problem is in the parks.

I really think the Tanlged washrooms represent a change in the company after Carsland. They could have gone generic, but they spent extra money on creating a gorgeous and interesting area when they didn't have to. I think that's the Carsland Effect...because Carsland and Buena Vista Street have made TDA more money than they ever even dreamed and have blown away all expectations. It was really counterintuitive for Disney to spend so much time and money and effort on creating a great product with Carsland that was so immersive...and it just blew away all the MBAs' projections for profit.

I think seeing the money and time invested in the little Tangled area means that all future projects for the next few years will be done well, and with a Carsland-level attention to detail that hasn't been seen in the parks in a long time.

Can we go yet?

I wonder, with the elaboration themed restrooms right beside the carnival facade of Old Fantasyland, wouldn't this be a good time to re haul the Peter Pan Facade like it looks in Disneyland? (Which is a beautiful improvement) And maybe even give the Tea Cups a new, more woodsy (In Alice in Wonderland, the tea part was held in a forest) roof? TDO is probably to cheap to do it, though. :C

WDWYankee15

I wonder, with the elaboration themed restrooms right beside the carnival facade of Old Fantasyland, wouldn't this be a good time to re haul the Peter Pan Facade like it looks in Disneyland? (Which is a beautiful improvement) And maybe even give the Tea Cups a new, more woodsy (In Alice in Wonderland, the tea part was held in a forest) roof? TDO is probably to cheap to do it, though. :C
An interactive queue has been rumored to be constructed for Peter Pan after the old resstrooms are closed. The Tea cups are closing in January for a 6 week refurb

stevehousse

It's more than just a bathroom, think of a highway rest area and that's what the tangled area is. Bathrooms, trees, benches, and outlet plugs on recharge cell phones. It's a space to take a Los off and relax or recharge your phone! I think the area will be pretty nice seeing as how there really was a need for a nice shady area in fantasyland to relax at!

And back to the PP que, I think an extended que still is pointless with your details u threw in there. Why not. Use that area to expand the ride. With that space they can adequately add at least 2 show scenes, and also add more ships for bigger capacity!

iheartdisney91

It's just a bathroom.

If you look at the pictures of the area, there is no room for lines for a meet and greet. It's just a very large women's room, a decent sized men's room, and a family restroom. There is a companion room too, I believe, for service animals as well.

And then there is a large circular area that has a fancy mural from the movie Rapunzel that depicts people at various stages of life...babies...childhood...adult...old age. I think this will be a place where people can either sit on ledges or park strollers while using the bathrooms.

And it looks like Rapunzel will be in the Princess Hall meet and greet attraction that is being built where SWSA was located.

thanks!!

Calvin Coolidge

Why not. Use that area to expand the ride. With that space they can adequately add at least 2 show scenes, and also add more ships for bigger capacity!

Adding more ships won't do much good if they can't figure out a way to load the attraction faster. I hope that's addressed in the queue improvements.

Rose&Crowner

I haven't been a fan of Disney as long as you have, what is this Rapunzel movie you specifically refer to, is it any good? Tangled was fantastic, I sure hope that there is a Tangled meet and greet with the characters from that movie!

I hope they don't build a Rapunzel M&G as I don't think anyone has ever seen it, but again maybe bigger fans of Disney, ones who know exactly what dinglehoppers are and criticize those who don't, will have no trouble remembering the names of Disney Movies, like Rapunzel.

If they don't build a Tangled M&G I'll likely sing baritone in the malcontent choir and wake up each morning ready to attack Disney like 50% of the billions on the internet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom