taking pictures on rides

Crystal J

When it comes to photography on vacation - there are two ends of the spectrum - people who love taking pictures of everything (I am in this group, but in recent years am more selective and try to be "artistic") and those who don't like photography. In my family - my sister falls into the "doesn't like photography" category - it is a point of contention in our relationship since she gets ed if I carry my camera and thinks buying equipment is stupid and informs me of such. She thinks taking pictures are a waste of time and that you don't get to experience anything this way and doesn't even normally carry a camera with her - she took maybe 12 pictures for a week in Hawaii and I took 1200. Where her hatred comes from is a big unknown - my dad used to be a professional photographer and we had a darkroom in our basement growing up and my mom is also into photography - she is the odd one in our family!

If you fall into one camp or the other - despite it being hard - you have to except those in the other camp (as long as they are being courteous). Some of us like capturing our trips in images, others don't - neither is right or wrong.

Brickcity Pauly

I don't have a problem with the use of flash photography. I don't do it, as the pictures will just look poor I'm sure, but yeah, if someone wants the memories of a ride like that, I would not begrudge them.

loveofamouse

I am not a professional at all but am a shutterbug. I like to try and get that fun action shot or a nice artsy one. I never was a fan of pics on rides, though. It's just too difficult for amateurs like me. When I got my DSLR, I tried doing it on HM of Leota. Was still a blurry mess. I'll leave those photos to you guys. lol. Flashes don't bug me if they happen once. We've all had the moment where we went to take a pic and didn't notice the flash was set til it was too late. I only use my flash when sneaking pics of the kids sleeping, for example. Otherwise, I'm all for natural lighting. It makes the pic look more natural. I have taken pics of fireworks but with no flash and only with a slower shutter speed to even have a hope of a decent photo. Otherwise, I get my desktop backgrounds from you guys :)

Kuzcotopia

Memories are best when they come from the synapses, rather than a photo. Most of my best memories from Disney would be ruined if I were using a camera. It's especially rich when you compare later experiences of an attraction with your old memories. Cameras ruin that effect.

For Disney, I think the camera is good for four things: character meets, food, landmarks, and family. When I read trip reports, that's what I look for. No one wants to see your poorly lit PotC photo of a mermaid skeleton. Again.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Memories are best when they come from the synapses, rather than a photo. Most of my best memories from Disney would be ruined if I were using a camera. It's especially rich when you compare later experiences of an attraction with your old memories. Cameras ruin that effect.

For Disney, I think the camera is good for four things: character meets, food, landmarks, and family. When I read trip reports, that's what I look for. No one wants to see your poorly lit PotC photo of a mermaid skeleton. Again.
I agree...a couple of pix with the people you went with will suffice.

Those pictures become an establishing shot (((like at the beginning of The Golden Girls.) The "house" shot shows that you are in "Miami" or TTPFKADMGMS or somewhere close to OJ Simpson's old house)just depending upon the year.)

Anything after a few shots is foolhardy as you are wasting YOUR time on pictures that will not turn out correctly that you could easily find better quality of online.

In 10 years... your pictures of Space Mountain will mean less to you than your memories of Space Mountain if you keep your eyes open and out of your iPhone!

Goofyernmost

I agree...a couple of pix with the people you went with will suffice.

Those pictures become an establishing shot (((like at the beginning of The Golden Girls.) The "house" shot shows that you are in "Miami" or TTPFKADMGMS or somewhere close to OJ Simpson's old house)just depending upon the year.)

Anything after a few shots is foolhardy as you are wasting YOUR time on pictures that will not turn out correctly that you could easily find better quality of online.

In 10 years... your pictures of Space Mountain will mean less to you than your memories of Space Mountain if you keep your eyes open and out of your iPhone!
I do so agree with you. The last 3 times I have been I brought along a nifty little canon point and shoot. It takes really nice clear pictures. It's smaller then a pack of cigarettes (or is that a different thread :joyfull:) Has a zoom and everything. It has it's own little magnetic cover case that goes easily and out of place on my belt. On my belt it has stayed. I've been there a lot and have found nothing that I wanted to take a picture of other then the Contemporary with it's new money sucking annex, which I will post to show you the quality this little devil can produce.
CIMG0089.JPG

Yet, I have not stopped every minute and taken a picture of something that means nothing more then a landmark (took that one while waiting for the ferry to head across the lagoon). I did use my camera phone to take a picture of my FP+ times, does that count?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom