taking pictures on rides

EpcoTim

I think all of you missed my point entirely. Although your comment may have contained hyperbole to an extent that exceeded your disdain for the act, it shouldn't carry with it a death sentence. You shouldn't want to kill someone or wish them dead for taking a picture.

No, you really should. No one missed your point.

Last edited:

joanna71985

I think all of you missed my point entirely. Although your comment may have contained hyperbole to an extent that exceeded your disdain for the act, it shouldn't carry with it a death sentence. You shouldn't want to kill someone or wish them dead for taking a picture.

It's not the picture itself that's the issue- it's the flash. I know at GMR, I can't tell you how many times I almost fell out of the vehicle because of someone using their flash

EpcoTim

Yes @Timekeeper...please do tell everyone about the other pictures.

Especially #2

My guess is Space Mountain on 2. But I also think that's wrong and I can't pinpoint where I've seen those before. The golf ball?

Haunted mansion on the third.

I'll also put a hay penny on Momma Needs a New by two lengths in the third.

MY_NAME_STITCH

It's not the picture itself that's the issue- it's the flash. I know at GMR, I can't tell you how many times I almost fell out of the vehicle because of someone using their flash

Please forgive me as I do not condone behavior that puts cast members at risk. The cast members that we have encountered have been great and should be protected.

Tom

Beta Return
My guess is Space Mountain on 2. But I also think that's wrong and I can't pinpoint where I've seen those before. The golf ball?

Haunted mansion on the third.

I'll also put a hay penny on Momma Needs a New by two lengths in the third.

Did you really call it "the golf ball"?

Timekeeper

And aside from all of the "courtesy" issues, using a flash on a dark ride makes for some pretty horrible pictures. :banghead:

nemo_angler_fish_kuka.jpg

DSC06716.JPG

5-3-06037Medium.jpg

inside-space-mountain-david-lee-thompson.jpg

Yes @Timekeeper...please do tell everyone about the other pictures.

Especially #2

#1 The Seas with Nemo & Friends

#2 Spaceship Earth (Cronkite version). Go to 7:30 in the video below.

#3 Haunted Mansion

#4 Space Mountain (from TTA PeopleMover)

Goofyernmost

Several activities fit these criteria, but don't deserve particularly harsh punishment. I realize you were only using hyperbole.
It pretty frustrating trying to explain the English language and figures of speech when you couple it with people that have no ability to see anything anyway other than literally. Anyone that truly understands hyperbole wouldn't waste time commenting on it in that manner.:facepalm:

OK, that one is going to require some splainin' Lucy! How does one nearly fall out of the vehicle because someone used a flash? I can't (excuse me) picture it.:angelic:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
#1 The Seas with Nemo & Friends

#2 Spaceship Earth (Cronkite version). Go to 7:30 in the video below.

#3 Haunted Mansion

#4 Space Mountain (from TTA PeopleMover)
Thanks...I don't recall ever seeing chain link fence in Nemo though??? What angle was that taken from?

acishere

The only attractions I feel like I can take pictures and not be a jerk to the people around me are the safari, Living with the Land, Jungle Cruise (day only), and the spinners.

I use my phone which has a big, bright screen that would bother me if the person in front of me pulled it out and started taking pictures on PotC. Plus I'm too busy enjoying the ride to take photos.

That's exactly it. It's for the safety of animatronics. Way to work that one through.
It is like the Simpsons episode where they visit the Itchy and Scratchy theme park. Using your flash causes the robots to malfunction and eventually start killing everyone WestWorld style.

Crystal J

I am really into photography - I would call myself an advanced amateur. My next trip is solo and will be very photography focused. I also follow several other Disney photographers via Facebook, Blogs & Flickr.

No FLASH!!! - 1st it ruins the effect and 2nd your pictures will be bad - so you ruined everyone’s else’s experience with zero net benefit to yourself. (I also hate the red focus assist lights - but that is another story).

If you want to shoot a dark ride - you will probably need a DSLR with high ISO capabilities and at least an f/1.8 lens - if you have a point and shoot / camera phone - put it away and enjoy the ride - it is too dark and you are moving. Rides like the Haunted Mansion are really dark - I still have not got a useable shot but keep hoping one day the ride will stop in a good spot!

My other park pet peeve is filming with an iPad above your head - I have several firework pictures with a big iPad in front of me blocking my view. One case, my camera is on a tripod and a 6 second exposure and the iPad screen is all over the place in my image just in that short of time - I cannot image how bad the quality of that video had to be. I set my camera’s back screen to the lowest time setting to not disturb people and have it directly in front of me, I have it on a 62” tripod, and I am 68” so my head blocks the camera anyway.

I am not the caliber of many other Disney photographer - but it is still fun anyway!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clj7181/sets/72157633260691245/

HM Spectre

If it doesn't use flash then fine but honestly, I've never seen the point.

- You're not going to be in the picture so it's not personalized except to say "I took this!"
- Whatever you want to take a picture of in the ride, there's already a picture of it online that's likely better than what you'd take.
- Why would you want to experience your ride through a viewfinder? Put the camera away and enjoy yourself!

Take pictures outside of rides, in restaurants (no flash of course), around the parks etc. when you can actually be in the pictures and associate memories with people. It's sad when the only memories people have of rides, fireworks, etc. are through pictures because they didn't actually "experience" them fully.

The Crafty Veteran

Not a fan of any kind of picture taking or ride filming. It has to be like a knife in the chest to the designers of these attractions to work so hard in creating the attractions with the intention of people experiencing them first hand only to have that work spoiled by a bad internet video. We should be more respectful.

Timekeeper

Thanks...I don't recall ever seeing chain link fence in Nemo though??? What angle was that taken from?

The photos were taken from the ride vehicle (note: these sample flash photos were not taken by me). The "net" has always been there, or at least as long as I can remember, between the guests and the Kuka. It's almost invisible in the dark. I imagine that it's a safety feature, because that Kuka arm could probably knock someone's head off if they walked up to it while it's in motion.

ibfxCJFyaOohKY.JPG

Not a flash picture, but another view of the hardware:

Nemorobot.jpg

Last edited:

Redhawk

I agree 100% with you Spectre, but try thst logic on my husband and you will get nowhere. Some people seem to feel they only "experience" the parks and attractions if the take photos of everything. I don't get it but at least I force my husband to use good manners for his photography.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom