Taika Waititi to Direct Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Also remember that the MCU movies don't necessarily have to change the status quo like the comics do. The MCU kills off recurring villains, for example, instead of having them show up again and again (except for Loki). If Jane Foster is the new Thor in #4, that doesn't mean she'll be that way in future movies. Cap was Thor for a hot minute. Or, she could be the Thor for the next Avengers movie... we don't know.
Even when Cap was “Thor,” Thor was still “Thor.” He only gained powers because he was worthy of wielding Mjolnir. My hope for this movie is the same situation. I don’t want to see Thor sidelined and suddenly become unworthy again. By all means give Jane Foster the powers of Thor if they’ve got a good story cooked up. Since Taika’s back I can already imagine some hilarious scenes where they maybe compete on who’s the better Thor.
Cap was not Thor, he was just deemed worthy by Mjolnir allowing him to wield it. But he was not Thor. This is different.

Mike S

How do you know he put Mjolnir back? It wasn't explicitly stated in the movie.

As far as I'm aware there isn't precedent for having two Gods of Thunder with the Thor name at one time. Sure there have been times when other characters have been deemed worthy enough to be able to wield Mjolnir, again such as Cap. But there hasn't been another God of Thunder with the name Thor at the same time as Thor. Again as far as I'm aware. So unless Feige is going to go completely off script and make comic history, Thor has to step down (or be stripped) as God of Thunder and the Thor name.
If he steps down and isn’t Thor anymore I’m out. Simple as that. Especially if cringe like this is what the movie will be filled with.
image-20150227-16185-1oiidus.png

image-20150227-16151-1fr3tym.png

Found these thanks to a video I’m currently watching. Panels from the comics serving as an inspiration for this movie. No wonder they didn’t sell well.

Yup. That’s exactly the dialogue I want in my superhero movies 🤮

And yes he had to put Mjolnir back otherwise that timeline would be messed up.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If he steps down and isn’t Thor anymore I’m out. Simple as that. Especially if cringe like this is what the movie will be filled with.
image-20150227-16185-1oiidus.png

image-20150227-16151-1fr3tym.png

Found these thanks to a video I’m currently watching. Panels from the comics serving as an inspiration for this movie. No wonder they didn’t sell well.

Yup. That’s exactly the dialogue I want in my superhero movies 🤮

And yes he had to put Mjolnir back otherwise that timeline would be messed up.
Well I'm sure we'll miss you.....

Seriously though, hasn't Feige earned your trust by now? After 23 films I think the he has earned enough cachet for us to trust him.

He hasn't let us down yet, and I don't expect that to start now. In reality if it plays out the way I think it will, will it be different, yes, but I trust that it'll be handled in a way that everyone including you can accept. Just like at the end of Endgame when he told Valkyrie he needed to find out who he was, which is why we couldn't be king. I would assume they'd do something similar. Basically a larger exploration of his character internally, versus just the warrior.

So don't jump off the train just yet. Be patient and see what happens..... :)

Also the film doesn't state WHEN Cap put back Mjolnir. That is my point.

Last edited:

Mike S

Well I'm sure we'll miss you.....

Seriously though, hasn't Feige earned your trust by now? After 23 films I think the he has earned enough cachet for us to trust him.

He hasn't let us down yet, and I don't expect that to start now. In reality if it plays out the way I think it will, will it be different, yes, but I trust that it'll be handled in a way that everyone including you can accept. Just like at the end of Endgame when he told Valkyrie he needed to find out who he was, which is why we couldn't be king. I would assume they'd do something similar. Basically a larger exploration of his character internally, versus just the warrior.

So don't jump off the train just yet. Be patient and see what happens..... :)

Also the film doesn't state WHEN Cap put back Mjolnir. That is my point.
All I know is when I see a movie with “Thor” in the title my expectation is to see, you know, THOR.
Chris-Hemsworth-as-Thor-3.jpg

If he’s being sidelined then my interest in the movie is down. I enjoy Chris Hemsworth in the role a lot and want to see him continue being a major player in the film franchise he helped build.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
All I know is when I see a movie with “Thor” in the title my expectation is to see, you know, THOR.
Chris-Hemsworth-as-Thor-3.jpg

If he’s being sidelined then my interest in the movie is down. I enjoy Chris Hemsworth in the role a lot and want to see him continue being a major player in the film franchise he helped build.

Again trust in Feige. He knows what he is doing. Chris Hemsworth isn't going anywhere, he'll still be in the MCU no matter if he has the mantle of Thor or is just the Asgardian Odinson having adventures with GotG. Either way, let's just wait and see what happens. It'll be a short wait and its only 2 years away.

Phicinfan

Even when Cap was “Thor,” Thor was still “Thor.” He only gained powers because he was worthy of wielding Mjolnir. My hope for this movie is the same situation. I don’t want to see Thor sidelined and suddenly become unworthy again. By all means give Jane Foster the powers of Thor if they’ve got a good story cooked up. Since Taika’s back I can already imagine some hilarious scenes where they maybe compete on who’s the better Thor.
Here is my issue with this story line.
Per the Marvel legend it was Mjolnir that granted someone who was worthy the power of Thor. In the MCU in THIS timeline, Mjolnir is destroyed. So is Male Thor losing the Axe? Was it imbued with Thor's power? No.

So does this mean Thor 4 - is Cap going back to Asgard and Jane somehow getting Mjolnir???

Mike S

In their defense, female or male - the PERSON is Thor, not the blond male. Or at least that is how they are positioning it.
The person who was named Thor at birth. How about that.

Also the MCU has already established that his powers come from within, not Mjolnir. Odin was able to strip him of his powers and made it so Mjolnir could grant powers to those that are worthy though. A side effect of him wanting his son to prove his worthiness before giving him back his power.
Here is my issue with this story line.
Per the Marvel legend it was Mjolnir that granted someone who was worthy the power of Thor. In the MCU in THIS timeline, Mjolnir is destroyed. So is Male Thor losing the Axe? Was it imbued with Thor's power? No.

So does this mean Thor 4 - is Cap going back to Asgard and Jane somehow getting Mjolnir???
Obviously they’ll forge a new one or something. Remember they can’t change their own past so whatever Cap did when going back had no effect on them.

Phicinfan

The person who was named Thor at birth. How about that.

Also the MCU has already established that his powers come from within, not Mjolnir. Odin was able to strip him of his powers and made it so Mjolnir could grant powers to those that are worthy though. A side effect of him wanting his son to prove his worthiness before giving him back his power.
Yes, fully agree, Thor was born Thor. However, he was given Mjolnir and the power belt to help him control and learn his power and boost his power when young. When Odin stripped him of his power, he imbued his power in Mjolnir, and thus allowed any who were "worthy" to be able to BE God of Thunder. I don't remember Odin EVER pulling that ability from Mjolnir. I could be wrong on that though.

Obviously they’ll forge a new one or something. Remember they can’t change their own past so whatever Cap did when going back had no effect on them.
well that would be an issue if they suddenly just made a new one wouldn't?
OR....maybe Beta Ray Bill gets called to help create a new one.....that could be fun :D

Mike S

Yes, fully agree, Thor was born Thor. However, he was given Mjolnir and the power belt to help him control and learn his power and boost his power when young. When Odin stripped him of his power, he imbued his power in Mjolnir, and thus allowed any who were "worthy" to be able to BE God of Thunder. I don't remember Odin EVER pulling that ability from Mjolnir. I could be wrong on that though.
Yes we’ve seen this in action with Captain America and Thor wasn’t sidelined because of it. He was even still able to use Mjolnir and call it to himself. That’s my main point here. I don’t care about female Thor coming in. I’ll care if her coming in sidelines the Thor I already like.

Here’s a point to consider though: the Mjolnir that can grant “the Power of Thor” is gone. A new one wouldn’t suddenly have that power because Odin places that spell in the first Thor so it’ll be interesting how they pull this off.
well that would be an issue if they suddenly just made a new one wouldn't?
OR....maybe Beta Ray Bill gets called to help create a new one.....that could be fun :D
Fans would go absolutely nuts if he finally came in.

Making a new one wouldn’t be that hard. Just make a visit to Nidavellir.

erasure fan1

Seriously though, hasn't Feige earned your trust by now? After 23 films I think the he has earned enough cachet for us to trust him
This is how I feel as well. Many times have I doubted what was coming, and have always ended up happy with the results. I am not enthusiastic about the little bits we know about this movie. But I love what Taika did in Ragnarok and Feige, well he's Feige. So for now, I'm not going to worry about it.

Phicinfan

Yes we’ve seen this in action with Captain America and Thor wasn’t sidelined because of it. He was even still able to use Mjolnir and call it to himself. That’s my main point here. I don’t care about female Thor coming in. I’ll care if her coming in sidelines the Thor I already like.

Here’s a point to consider though: the Mjolnir that can grant “the Power of Thor” is gone. A new one wouldn’t suddenly have that power because Odin places that spell in the first Thor so it’ll be interesting how they pull this off.
Exactly, that is why this story line doesn't make sense. I also have issues with Endgame, when Cap gets the Axe and Thor gets the hammer(although I LOVED the line "I get the big one" :D ). Even if Cap was worthy he should not have been able to handle the Axe.....

Fans would go absolutely nuts if he finally came in.

Making a new one wouldn’t be that hard. Just make a visit to Nidavellir.
I keep hearing that MCU is going cosmic, and to NOT have Beta Ray involved would just be wrong. A tie in here or in GotG 3 would be really awesome!!

Phicinfan

This is how I feel as well. Many times have I doubted what was coming, and have always ended up happy with the results. I am not enthusiastic about the little bits we know about this movie. But I love what Taika did in Ragnarok and Feige, well he's Feige. So for now, I'm not going to worry about it.
I don't think any of us are disputing Feige and his plan. To date this has really been very well laid out. So yes he has earned the trust that it will be handled well.

Mike S

I don't think any of us are disputing Feige and his plan. To date this has really been very well laid out. So yes he has earned the trust that it will be handled well.
I’d hope. Those comic panels I posted make me want to roll my eyes right out of my head. My hope is they looked at that stuff and thought “yeeeeeeeeeah, let’s not adapt those parts of the female Thor comic. Let’s just make her cool and relatable.”

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’d hope. Those comic panels I posted make me want to roll my eyes right out of my head. My hope is they looked at that stuff and thought “yeeeeeeeeeah, let’s not adapt those parts of the female Thor comic. Let’s just make her cool and relatable.”
Since when have they taken ANY of the comics and done dialog directly from them? They don't. Which is why you posting them here with fears of them going to use them is silly.

Mike S

Since when have they taken ANY of the comics and done dialog directly from them? They don't. Which is why you posting them here with fears of them going to use them is silly.
It doesn’t have to be a direct dialogue rip but those are the comics they said they’re taking inspiration from so until we see a first trailer we won’t know exactly what ideas they’ve taken. Overall I’m optimistic it won’t go anywhere near that direction but we still don’t know.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It doesn’t have to be a direct dialogue rip but those are the comics they said they’re taking inspiration from so until we see a first trailer we won’t know exactly what ideas they’ve taken. Overall I’m optimistic it won’t go anywhere near that direction but we still don’t know.
Inspiration is the proverbial word there. It’s going to be inspired by but not a direct representation of that series. Just like all the others were inspired by but again not a direct representation of their respective comic series. So I think we do know, because of the 23 movies that have already shown us how they do it. We’re not getting a book report retelling of the same story.

So calm your fears....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom