T-Mobile Adds 4 New Towers

Woody13

Thrawn said:
Kind of true, but Cingular has GSM pretty much everywhere now.
You're right Thrawn.:wave:

Virgin Mobile "piggybacks" on the Sprint wireless system. They use CDMA digital (Code Division Multiple Access), a cellular technology originally known as IS-95. CDMA competes with GSM technology for dominance in the cellular world.

GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) is the new kid on the block in the USA (although it has been around for many years in Europe and Asia), but it is rapidly expanding. T-Mobile uses GSM exclusively. The rate of new GSM towers going up in the USA is staggering. Estimates I've seen predict that GSM will overtake the other formats in the US by the summer of 2005. Most of the major carriers (except Nextel) are scrambling to switch over to GSM.

Cingular and AT&T Wireless are rapidly switching from TDMA to GSM. Last year this time TDMA was the primary Cingular format but GSM is primary now in most markets. Cingular and AT&T Wireless were offering GAIT cell phones (will work on either TDMA or GSM), but most people I know who have used them, don't like them at all.

All the different formats have certain advantages and disadvantages. I just happen to prefer GSM and I think it will become the defacto standard in the near future.

Just as WDW is the amusement resort area by which all others are judged, GSM is holds the same spot in the world of cell phones IMO. :king:

Woody13

flyersmv said:
i have cingular and reception was pretty much perfect when i was outside
A lot depends on the model of the phone you own. Is it a TDMA, GSM or GAIT cell phone? What company makes the phone and what is the model number?

It's funny with cell phones. I have seen many examples of people using the same provider, in the same area, yet they encounter totally different signal results often as a result of their particular model of cell phone.:cool:

Coastieboy00

Original Poster
GSM is a Global Standard. By later this year it will be dominant in the USA as well. Cingular had to wait on deployment of GSM until the technology to use the 800 mhz band was made available for GSM. People should pick the carrier based on what is best for them. I have tried them all and safely say that T-Mobile is the best fit for me.

Woody13

mkt said:
I'm out of contract and I can't find any provider willing to match my plan... if T-Mobile were to offer service that covers PR and didn't roam, I'd switch in a heartbeat. For now, I'm just going to upgrade Sprint Handsets for one of their newer spiffy GPS Tri-Band handsets from my freebie A500.
All you need to do is to get a T-Mobile phone and then unlock it using the correct code. Then you will be able to use an AT&T or Cingular SIM card (buy a prepaided card) while you are in Puerto Rico with no roaming.:wave:

TheOneVader

MotoDisney said:
That's great to hear :wave: It's amazing how popular T Mobile is yet up in New England a large majority of people have Verizon. I guess it's very regional based similar to rental car companies etc. Yes they all have national coverage but it would be interesting to see a map of all and where a majority of subscribers live? Just a thought.

Moto

Well, supposedly Verizon is the best company. Obviously that's an opinion, but I've seen polls about it, and Verizon usually wins.

Coastieboy00

Original Poster
Verizon also pays those survey companys a lot of money. T-Mobile is several spots of the country ranks higher than Verizon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom