T-Mobile Adds 4 New Towers

Coastieboy00

Original Poster
Hey folks. Just noticed my phone now works inside Mission Space and in parts of the utilidor at MK. Caleld T-Mobile and can confirm that 4 new towers have been installed near property with 2-3 more on the way soon. Just an FYI.

Tom

Figment1986

T-mobile reception increasing, I know i had prety well reception around AK and MK, but not every park... I hope this doesn't increase cellphone useage on the attractions.....

Invero

StevenT said:
AT&T needs more towers. My reception at WDW is terrible.
I have AT&T and I get decent reception. The only place where it gets sketchy is around Old Key West, or inside the bus break room at the Studios. Other than that, its fine for me.

StevenT

It's sketchy in Frontierland too. Getting off Splash I had no reception, In the photo gift shop I was in Roaming, and back on the sidewalk I had reception again.

Woody13

Coastieboy00 said:
AWS is getting new towers. It's Called Cingular :) Either way, new coverage for any company is nice.

Thanks for the information Coastieboy! :wave: I signed up with T-Mobile last month (in part) because of their rapid tower expansion. Also, in North America the GSM frequency used by T-Mobile phones is 1900 Mhz. That frequency is much higher than that used by other cell phone services. As a result, the phones have much improved transmission and reception capabilities.

You answered my T-Mobile question that I posted on April 25, 2004 on this forum:

"Most cell phones in North America (for example Sprint and Verison) use Qualcomm's Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital format. T-Mobile exclusively uses the Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) standard that is used in Europe and Asia. AT&T Wireless and Cingular are in the process of switching over to the GSM digital format from the Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) digital format. Nextel uses its own digital format called Integrated Digital Enhanced Network (iDEN).

GSM is clearly superior to the other digital formats, however, GSM is still a much smaller network in the U.S. since it is so new to North America. Considering its rate of growth, GSM will most likely dominate the market by 2005 but my concern is about this year at WDW."

MotoDisney

Hello All!

Does anyone out there have Verizon and if so how has the reception been in the parks? We are going in September and would will often use our phones for communication purposes. (on silent mode of course, nothing worse than a ringing phone or someone talking on an attraction). Any help would be great. Also was it roaming?

Thanks

crazydaveh

NEXTEL is very good at the parks. I have used my phone/walkie talkie at all the parks and many of the resorts without problems.

The only bad part of having a NEXTEL, the annoying tone that alerts you when someone wants to talk via walkie talkie!

Cingular service stinks there in my opinion.

s25843

crazydaveh said:
NEXTEL is very good at the parks. I have used my phone/walkie talkie at all the parks and many of the resorts without problems.

The only bad part of having a NEXTEL, the annoying tone that alerts you when someone wants to talk via walkie talkie!

Cingular service stinks there in my opinion.

Nextel has a tower right in Epcot's parking lot

SewIn2Disney

MotoDisney said:
Hello All!

Does anyone out there have Verizon and if so how has the reception been in the parks? We are going in September and would will often use our phones for communication purposes. (on silent mode of course, nothing worse than a ringing phone or someone talking on an attraction). Any help would be great. Also was it roaming?

Thanks

Verizon was great in the parks, we never had a problem at all! We also used them for communication between family members (my sister and I would go off, while my parents did something tamer) and I think we always reached them, no matter where we are.

Joevn

My friend whom I went with last time had Nextel and had no problems. I, on the other hand, have Alltel, and while the signal was strong, I was roaming everywhere even though most of Florida seems to be covered under my nationwide plan. Any other Alltel customers know if this has changed?

Joe

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Nextel has towers across WDW property, so of course those are gonna work well. Most cellphone providers are getting decent service in WDW, so that's a plus..

Coastieboy00

Original Poster
Woody13 said:
Thanks for the information Coastieboy! :wave: I signed up with T-Mobile last month (in part) because of their rapid tower expansion. Also, in North America the GSM frequency used by T-Mobile phones is 1900 Mhz. That frequency is much higher than that used by other cell phone services. As a result, the phones have much improved transmission and reception capabilities.

You answered my T-Mobile question that I posted on April 25, 2004 on this forum:

"Most cell phones in North America (for example Sprint and Verison) use Qualcomm's Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital format. T-Mobile exclusively uses the Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) standard that is used in Europe and Asia. AT&T Wireless and Cingular are in the process of switching over to the GSM digital format from the Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) digital format. Nextel uses its own digital format called Integrated Digital Enhanced Network (iDEN).

GSM is clearly superior to the other digital formats, however, GSM is still a much smaller network in the U.S. since it is so new to North America. Considering its rate of growth, GSM will most likely dominate the market by 2005 but my concern is about this year at WDW."

GSM is the way to go. I love importing my phones from europe and watching people drool. by the end of this year, GSM will be more dominant than CDMA in the USA. Take that Verizon and Sprint.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Yay for new towers and a stronger signal!... Now I can surf the web on my T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone while standing in line. :sohappy:

Coastieboy00

Original Poster
DMC-12 said:
Yay for new towers and a stronger signal!... Now I can surf the web on my T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone while standing in line. :sohappy:
Don't forget those of us that need something to do on our breaks!

MotoDisney

SewIn2Disney said:
Verizon was great in the parks, we never had a problem at all! We also used them for communication between family members (my sister and I would go off, while my parents did something tamer) and I think we always reached them, no matter where we are.

That's great to hear :wave: It's amazing how popular T Mobile is yet up in New England a large majority of people have Verizon. I guess it's very regional based similar to rental car companies etc. Yes they all have national coverage but it would be interesting to see a map of all and where a majority of subscribers live? Just a thought.

Moto

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom