Swiss Family Treehouse Delete

DW Aficionado

Original Poster
With all the talk about replacing (not adding) attractions to the Magic Kingdom, has anyone considered removing the Swiss Family Treehouse?

I mean seriously, is anyone gonna argue that they love it?

DisneyFanatic12

I’m sure other people know more about this than me, but I don’t think there would really be any room, given the Jungle Cruise boat maintenance area that sits behind the treehouse.

And very important for the spreadsheets… it’s CHEAP to operate (sometimes has a CM at the entrance, but it’s 100% not needed and decently rare to see), and it has a CRAZY high capacity to my knowledge since it’s a walkthrough (although, capacity is only meaningful to the point it’s used up to). Also, I always see quite a few people using it.

Since this is obviously about the RoA ordeal, in my opinion this is the difference.

Both - High capacity, have “historical” and atmospheric value, and don’t get large crowds
RoA/TSI - Costs a decent amount to operate given the number of CMs, is probably a maintenance and custodial nightmare given how remote TSI is, and lots of space that is essentially unused or open for development if replaced.
Treehouse - Sits on a tiny plot of land (not really any room for development if replaced), uses the space very efficiently, very low cost to operate, hides maintenance buildings well.

DW Aficionado

Original Poster
I’m sure other people know more about this than me, but I don’t think there would really be any room, given the Jungle Cruise boat maintenance area that sits behind the treehouse.

And very important for the spreadsheets… it’s CHEAP to operate (sometimes has a CM at the entrance, but it’s 100% not needed and decently rare to see), and it has a CRAZY high capacity to my knowledge since it’s a walkthrough. Also, I always see quite a few people using it.

Since this is obviously about the RoA ordeal, in my opinion this is the difference.

Both - High capacity, have “historical” and atmospheric value, and don’t get large crowds
RoA/TSI - Costs a decent amount to operate given the number of CMs, is probably a maintenance and custodial nightmare given how remote TSI is, and lots of space that is essentially unused or open for development if replaced.
Treehouse - Sits on a tiny plot of land (not really any room for development if replaced
Very good points, I think you got me at CHEAP to operate

Trueblood

With all the talk about replacing (not adding) attractions to the Magic Kingdom, has anyone considered removing the Swiss Family Treehouse?

I mean seriously, is anyone gonna argue that they love it?

My father grew up on the Swiss Family Robinson novel, and absolutely loved the treehouse. As his generation stops coming to the parks, it will be less and less relevant.

I thought the Tarzan theme they put on it in Disneyland was fun, but Tarzan's a little older now, too.

John park hopper

I too grew up on Swiss Family Robinson, Mark Twain, Tarzan, I don't want any of these to disappear. It's a shame kids don't read anymore--- too busy with their heads buried in their phones. Guess that's progress (sarcasm)

nickys

Premium Member
I visit it every trip. . It’s a perfect example of letting your imagination run wild, the ultimate treehouse.

And when visiting DLP I loved that they’d incorporated the caves into the SFR story.

GigglesMcSnort

I too grew up on Swiss Family Robinson, Mark Twain, Tarzan, I don't want any of these to disappear. It's a shame kids don't read anymore--- too busy with their heads buried in their phones. Guess that's progress (sarcasm)
Of course. You'd have probably read less too if you had the sort of entertainment available that kids have these days.

But the treehouse is based on the Disney movie from 1960, not the book.

John park hopper

Of course. You'd have probably read less too if you had the sort of entertainment available that kids have these days.

But the treehouse is based on the Disney movie from 1960, not the book.
We didn't have smart phones--- my parents had us read books
Guess what the film was based on
"The film is based upon Der Schweizerische Robinson (translated as The Swiss Family Robinson), a book written by Johann David Wyss."

JIMINYCR

It was rumored that because of its having been there for some time that an updated replacement was coming. Tarzan was going to replace it but that never came about. We still walk the staircase and enjoy viewing the different aspects featured there. Swiss Family Robinson was a fav Dis film of mine so images of the film fill my mind as I go through it. Every time we visit there are others climbing or descending the stairs so it still gets its fill of visitors. The water wheel always fascinates me.

nickys

Premium Member
Well yeah but they're "Disney" because of their visual media. I'm all for a land based on Camus though if we can swing it.
Well DLP’s Adventure Isle not only includes SFR and Pirates, but also Frenchman’s Creek. Which I immediately thought was a a reference to Daphne Du Maurier’s book of the same name.

Plus of course they have Discovery Land themed to Jules Verne.

Tjaden

Well DLP’s Adventure Isle not only includes SFR and Pirates, but also Frenchman’s Creek. Which I immediately thought was a a reference to Daphne Du Maurier’s book of the same name.

Plus of course they have Discovery Land themed to Jules Verne.
At least two WDW references too:

"There's the grand old man himself, Jules Verne"-Horizons

He played a pretty large role in Timekeeper along with HG Wells.

Andrew25

I believe it requires massive investment to move/adjust the canal below it, but it's doable. Just not much space here to add anything of significant other than relocating a nearby flat ride to here.

I think this is safe for years (retheme possible though).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom