swine flu and travelling

dazzer68

dont want to get over hyped about this , but whats the chance of flights and holidays being cancelled due to the swine flu? im flying from uk to the usa, we have already been advised not to travel in the eu? will usa be next?only 19 days to go hope it doesnt all go wrong now....

Ghall

Hope not, we are travelling from Ireland to disneyworld in June. Saw on the news tonight that the EU Health Commissioner has advised not travelling to Mexico or the US if not urgent.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Since Europe now has confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus (swine flu) there is a great possibility that travel will be restricted as this type of flu usually attacks in the warmer months of April & May.

Upvote 0
Dr. Oz says wait it out for now and take precautions like hand sanitizer and washing your hands often not touching your face and if you feel sick stay home. Stuff like that, just wait and see what the CDC says. Things can change. DO NOT TRAVEL TO MEXICO ~Tinkerchelli~

Upvote 0

pcarathers

we leave in 12 days and I BELIEVE in washing hands and using hand sanitizers. Sad thing is, you NEVER know who just touched that handrail you're touching or the seat belt on the attractions. I just always try to remember to wash/sanitize afterwards. especially before i eat!!! But unless they HALT all air travel, I will be in WDW on May 9

Upvote 0

DisneyMom4

I simply cannot see travel being restricted at this point or in the next few weeks.

The flu, any type, does not kill most people. You will see more deaths in underdeveloped countries, such as Mexico, due to lack of medical care.

Common sense precautions and avoiding all hype is the key to handling this 'issue'.

Upvote 0

Duckberg

it all DEPENDS???

I simply cannot see travel being restricted at this point or in the next few weeks.

The flu, any type, does not kill most people. You will see more deaths in underdeveloped countries, such as Mexico, due to lack of medical care.

Common sense precautions and avoiding all hype is the key to handling this 'issue'.

If this flu ramps up :eek: ANYTHING is possible:veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu.effecting visitors and the ENTIRE operations @ WDW! Duckberg :lookaroun PS Let alone the rest of the USA!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

This is not just any type of flu and has, in the past killed over 50 million people (between 50 + 100 million worldwide). There is no vaccine (as in a normal flu) and it attacks the HEALTHY ADULTS and not the elderly, young or immuno suppressed. Look up H1N1 and 1918. April & May is the peak season.
I lived thru the last swine flu epidemic when I was younger (in the 70's) and even though it was a different strain it was quite bad.
Listen to the CDC, it's not hype...ignore it and history just may repeat itself. :(

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
This is not just any type of flu and has, in the past killed over 50 million people (between 50 + 100 million worldwide). There is no vaccine (as in a normal flu) and it attacks the HEALTHY ADULTS and not the elderly, young or immuno suppressed. Look up H1N1 and 1918. April & May is the peak season.
I lived thru the last swine flu epidemic when I was younger (in the 70's) and even though it was a different strain it was quite bad.
Listen to the CDC, it's not hype...ignore it and history just may repeat itself. :(

Sorry but thats simply bollox.

Upvote 0

Kaseys412

Nobody in the states has died due to this flu yet.. and they're saying everyone who tested positive had basic flu symptoms and is already recovering... as a previous poster said.. underdeveloped countries who lack the medical care we have probably have more to worry about... of course with very young children or elderly people I'm sure it can be another story.. but every year people in this country die from flu viruses. I'm hoping they're just making it out to be more than what it is :lookaroun

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Nobody in the states has died due to this flu yet.. and they're saying everyone who tested positive had basic flu symptoms and is already recovering... as a previous poster said.. underdeveloped countries who lack the medical care we have probably have more to worry about... of course with very young children or elderly people I'm sure it can be another story.. but every year people in this country die from flu viruses. I'm hoping they're just making it out to be more than what it is :lookaroun

This strain of flu strike the healthy adult with a good immune system and is not like a regular flu.

And I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be as bad as feared as well and they do not know why, as of yet, the cases in this country have been mild.
There is a lot more things to look at.

Upvote 0

pepe2123

Hey, I'm from Mexico and first of all let me tell you something, the government has been recognize from all over the world due to the quicky response and the actions they are taking since friday. Mexico is the frst country in Latin America to have an excelent medical care, medicines have never been a problem here. The army is taking actions since the first moment, giving people the right equipment to stop the virus. And is a problem not only in Mexico but worldwide and there was a problem in 1918 with a similar case and died between 40 and 50 million people all over the world. Is not only for UNDERDEVELOPED countries as you called Mexico, is for everyone and at this time the US government is not taking the right actions to prevent the virus entering airports or borders like Japan that is a DEVELOPED country as yours, why?????? Japan is checking with special machines the temperature of people arriving from international flights. Why the US as DEVELOPED country is not taking this actions with the proximity to Mexico since the US is the 1st country in the world??????

Before telling things that has nothing to do of what is happening right now, please see the news, but not UNDERDEVELOPED channels, watch CNN!!!!! and I hope that the US can take the same actions as the Mexican government.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Everyone can find decent info here: http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu
Just try to wash or sanitize your hands frequently and keep them away from faces (not easy to do with little ones but try anyway). Hopefully this will be like the avian flu pandemic that was predicted a number of years ago.

Upvote 0

DisneyMom4

Hey, I'm from Mexico and first of all let me tell you something, the government has been recognize from all over the world due to the quicky response and the actions they are taking since friday. Mexico is the frst country in Latin America to have an excelent medical care, medicines have never been a problem here. The army is taking actions since the first moment, giving people the right equipment to stop the virus. And is a problem not only in Mexico but worldwide and there was a problem in 1918 with a similar case and died between 40 and 50 million people all over the world. Is not only for UNDERDEVELOPED countries as you called Mexico, is for everyone and at this time the US government is not taking the right actions to prevent the virus entering airports or borders like Japan that is a DEVELOPED country as yours, why?????? Japan is checking with special machines the temperature of people arriving from international flights. Why the US as DEVELOPED country is not taking this actions with the proximity to Mexico since the US is the 1st country in the world??????

Before telling things that has nothing to do of what is happening right now, please see the news, but not UNDERDEVELOPED channels, watch CNN!!!!! and I hope that the US can take the same actions as the Mexican government.

Hey, my in-law family is from Mexico. I go there every year. I'll be there in just a matter of weeks actually.

However, we will have to agree to disagree about the response of the officials in Mexico to the beginning of this flu pandemic. Also, the places I have been in Mexico are underdeveloped. (However, not all of Mexico is underdeveloped -- but there are areas like the ones I've traveled in.) The people that I meet on a regular basis have no or very limited access to healthcare.

I meant no disrespect with my statements. It is purely my opinion on the matter.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom