Swan and Dolphin or a deluxe

I'm wondering if anyone has any pros and cons to staying at the Swan and Dolphin compared to staying at the Beach Club or Boardwalk. We love the Epcot area and have stayed deluxe the last couple of times down and have loved the amenities that those hotels have. However we are thinking about trying to save a little bit on the hotel costs to go down for 10 days so the Swan and Dolphin may be an option. If anyone can help with suggestions or concerns that would be excellent. Thanks

Epcotfan21

We recently stayed at the Swan in lieu of our usual stay at the Beach Club Resort. For the cost, the Swan offers an enjoyable hotel atmosphere, plush bedding (we prefer it over BC), and easy access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, plus nightlife and eateries on the Boardwalk. Both the Swan and Dolphin offer restaurants, spas, and bars that make a great place to relax during the evening. Hotel staff was great. The only downside, if any, is there is no real Disney "theme" to the hotel as it is a Sheraton/Westin hotel, not a Disney Resort. Even still, we would highly recommend staying at the Swan or Dolphin and will return ourselves.

Upvote 0

sbkline

I've never stayed at any of those resorts, but I have a prejudice against the Swan and Dolphin. I know it's petty and silly, and that I'm being a "resort snob" to some degree, but I just don't feel like it's a "real" Disney Resort. I guess I feel that way because it actually isn't. :lol: It's not operated by Disney. I'm not sure if it's technically owned by them or not, as it could be owned, but leased out to the company that really runs it. But either way, I like to stay "onsite" meaning, at a Disney resort with all the themeing and ammeneties of staying at a Disney Resort. To me, the Swan and Dolphin don't count. I would feel like I'm staying offsite, even though I am smack in the middle of WDW. To me, staying at one of those resorts would be the same as staying at the Best Western across the street from Downtown Disney. It's kind of like when we used to stay at a Super 8 motel in Kissimmee and drive to the parks. I remember one time we were having supper at Biergarten, and one of the guys sharing a table with us asked where we are staying. I almost felt like an outsider telling him we're staying at the Super 8 in Kissimmee when he was staying at a WDW resort. :ROFLOL: Silly, I know, and I'm sure he didn't care one way or the other, but I guess I would almost feel the same way staying at the Swan or Dolphin. Much nicer hotels than a Super 8, to be sure, but I wouldn't feel like I'm "part of the club" so to speak, in the midst of all the guests staying at a real Disney resort.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

We are Deluxe snobs (esp Epcot Deluxe) and have had very nice stays at Dolphin.

It's not an official Disney Resort with an awesome theme, but it is better than a moderate. Just to be in that area is tops!

I would try my hardest to stay at Yacht Club, but if it didn't work out I would stay at Dolphin again.

Upvote 0

Juliaz3

Love the Swan and Dolphin

My husband and I have stayed at both the Swan (once) and the Dolphin (three times). We love both and always choose them because we are members of the Starwood Guest Program that includes Sheraton, Westin, and a few other hotels. We can use and accumulate points and love the program, so really love that we have two Disney resort hotels to choose from within the program. Even though they are not actual Disney, they also give you access to the Extra Magic Hours.

Also, it's just the two of us and no children, so we're fine with less Disney theme in the hotels. It's not like there is NO Disney presence, it's just a bit less than in an actual Disney resort. I've stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and the Polynesian, and now that I'm an adult, prefer the more "adult" hotels of Swan and Dolphin. The restaurants and spa are excellent, you get free and easy Disney transportation to the parks, and we enjoy the pools and views from our room. I have not stayed in any of the Boardwalk hotels, so can't make that comparison, but for us the Dolphin and Swan are perfect.

Upvote 0

jmani56

The Swan and the Dolphin are great hotels. I have never stayed at Boardwalk, Beach Club or Yacht Club, however I have stayed at several other Disney resorts, and to be honest there is not much difference. Both Swan and Dolphin have Disney gift shops, Extra Magic Hours, Disney transportation, etc. The only difference that takes away from that Disney feel is no mouse ears on the soap wrappers, or no Disney music playing in the background as you wander the resort.

Both resorts have great restaurants, great pools and great views of the property. They are actually two of my favorites on property. Very classy, and more active at night than your average Disney resort. Highly recommend. All the resorts in the Epcot area are very nice, but for half the price, it's a no-brainer for me.

Upvote 0

disneymar

We just got back from a trip and stayed at the Dolphin. We are DVC members, but also are in the SPG program. Our normal stay resort is Beach Club Villas. The Dolphin was beautiful, especially for the holidays. Since it's been cold in Florida, we didn't get much opportunity to use the pool, but the pool area is gorgeous. There are countless restaurants and any service we requested was taken care of immediately. I'd stay there again if my husband and I choose to visit there in the summer and not do the parks. We had a fantastic view of Illuminations from our room - which was fantastic! I like the "Disney" feel when I'm visiting the parks!

You don't get that "Disney" feel at the Dolphin - small things - but most notable to me was that they don't offer transportation to and from the airport via Magic Express. We had to pay for Mears - which is owned by the same company that operates Magic Express for Disney. That was frustrating given that for all the years we've stayed at the Beach Club or Boardwalk - we stop at the Swan and Dolphin from all the parks.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

I've stayed at both the Swan and Dolphin a few times (staying at the Dolphin for our next trip) and find them beautiful, comfortable, and although they're not technically 'Disney Resorts', I still feel very connected to Disney there as it is in the middle of it all near the Boardwalk and Y&B Club, not to mention a skip away from Epcot and DHS. They also have excellent rates compared to Disney's deluxes. If I didn't feel it wasn't Disney enough, there's no way in hell I'd stay there :animwink:

Upvote 0

jformica

I echo what many have said in there posts. The Swan and Dolphin are wonderful resorts/hotels. The food on site is second to none (maybe Grand Floridian). The pools and recreational activities are abundant as well. The proximity to Epcot, Boardwalk and Hollywood Studios is the main benefit.

However, we wouldn't stay here again unless it was absolutely necessary. It's true that it lacks Disney magic. I'm not sure what it is but you just don't feel like your in Disney. You can see Disney, you can smell it but just don't "feel" it. There's something about staying at a Disney resort that you just can't get staying anywhere else including the Swan and Dolphin. We would rather stay at a moderate resort or any Deluxe in and outside of the Boardwalk then stay there again. It's too bad because they really are wonderful resorts/hotels it's just unfortunate they are right in the heart of Disney and are not "affiliated" with Disney in many ways and you can feel it. Either way, have a fantastic trip!

Upvote 0
Stayed at the Swan for a business trip back in August and really enjoyed it. The place is beautiful! However, I was traveling alone. I feel like my kids would have been missing the "Disney feel" if we stayed there for our vacation.

Upvote 0

disneyny

I can't sayenough good things about the beds at the swan. They are amazing- we called them cloud beds. We felt very Disney when we stayed there too. In fact I think they feelvery deluxe and we felt pampered. The room was nicer than ours at the Boardwalk or The Wilderness Lodge even if it lacked the Disney feel. I had as much Disney feel at the Swan as I did at Boardwalk- maybe not as magical as the Wilderness Lodge. If it is a lot cheaper I say go for it- you will get a deluxe experience.

Upvote 0

dizzney

We stayed at the Dolphin once, and have eaten a number of times at the various restaurants. We prefer staying at Boardwalk Villas (our DVC home) due to its Disney feel. Staying at the Dolphin did not really feel Disney. But restaurants are great especially Todd English's Bluezoo - were there in August and loved it!

Upvote 0

Nikki M

I cannot possibly say enough about the swan. We love the location, the rooms, the hotel theme. We have stayed at the carribean beach once and the polynesian three times, but we always come back to the Swan. We call it our home away from home. In our experience, the hotel and rooms are cleaner and nicer than the hotels we have stayed. The pool is nice, staff friendly and helpful, we enjoy the boat transportation and walking to Boardwalk and Epcot.

Whichever you choose, have a great trip!

Upvote 0

ornurse

Have stayed at the Swan (Westin) but not at the Dolphin (Sheraton). Absolutely love the hotel. Pool is great as are the amenities. We have also stayed at the Yacht Club, Beach Club, Poly and GF. For my $, the Swan is a better hotel as far as amenities. I like a robe in my room as well as turndown service and both are available at no cost at the Swan but I can only get that at a Disney resort if I stay concierge level. We have travelled with some or all of our 6 children and they are happy at this hotel. They like the pool here better than Stormalong Bay as they aren't big fans of the sand at the bottom of Stormalong.
Of course if one isn't happy at Disney with all that Disney has to offer, well.......that would be a different post! We do not spend much time in our rooms as we are at the parks all day. I never feel as though I'm missing out on the Disney magic but that's a personal preference. If you stay at the Swan, I think you will love it! Just for your info, the Dolphin has double beds and the Swan queen sized if you book a 2 bed room. The coffee is good! I don't find the Disney hotels have good coffee, and as I'm a coffee lover, I'm much happier here! Have a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom