Swan and Dolphin look outdated?

Missing_Aria

Meh, they're not my thing but they're different and interesting to see driving past on the way to Hollywood Studios. To me the more themes in the resorts the better. That way we all have something we love or just happen to be in the mood for on our vacation. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Corgi

Original Poster
Since it’s the same topic, the fact that they’re clearly visible in the World Showcase is a bit unattractive.

fluffy

We booked the Dolphin for Dec this year...first time at the Dolphin and I am looking forward to it. It looks fantastic to me. I love the architecture. We stayed at the Contemporary, Boardwalk, Caribbean, Animal Kingdom and the Poly years ago. The prices for those are now through the roof unless you buy points which I tried to do unsuccessfully. So we are happy to be saving money yet staying on Disney property even if it is not an official Disney Hotel....which I don't really need.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We booked the Dolphin for Dec this year...first time at the Dolphin and I am looking forward to it. It looks fantastic to me. I love the architecture. We stayed at the Contemporary, Boardwalk, Caribbean, Animal Kingdom and the Poly years ago. The prices for those are now through the roof unless you buy points which I tried to do unsuccessfully. So we are happy to be saving money yet staying on Disney property even if it is not an official Disney Hotel....which I don't really need.

Semantics, but... It is indeed an official Disney resort, only, they're leasing the running of a Disney resort to a third party. That's why it's listed on the WDW website as "Walt Disney World Swan/Dolphin Resort."

Epcotfan21

You won't be disappointed. Can't beat the location for the price that you're paying. For the longest time I was a firm Beach Club, Yacht Club or Boardwalk guy, but those prices are just insane now and I started staying at Swan/Dolphin since 2010 and haven't looked back.

RaveOnEd

We're going to be at the Dolphin for the first time at the end of this month until August 4 (previously we stayed at All Star Movies, Port Orleans French Quarter and then Pop Century). It was actually a package deal via Expedia, saving hundreds in the process.

But from reviews we've read and seen on YouTube, we're really looking forward to it!

JusticeDisney

The Dolphin is fantastic. I’ve stayed there many times and the only resort I prefer to it is Beach Club (and I’ve stayed at them all). That said, I will admit that I don’t love some of the changes that the Dolphin has recently made, in particular the lobby. The lobby used to be such a peaceful and relaxing place. Now, it feels like a poor man’s Vegas lounge. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some Vegas, but not when I’m with my family in Disney World. I know the Dolphin has always been geared toward the convention crowd, but with their recent renovations it is clearer than ever that that is their target crowd. Still an overall great place, but definitely lacks any Disney feel.

LUVofDIS

We're going to be at the Dolphin for the first time at the end of this month until August 4 (previously we stayed at All Star Movies, Port Orleans French Quarter and then Pop Century). It was actually a package deal via Expedia, saving hundreds in the process.

You will love it, we have sayed at many Disney hotels and this is the one we love the most. The things we love the most are the transportation, beds and prices.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
That said, I will admit that I don’t love some of the changes that the Dolphin has recently made, in particular the lobby. The lobby used to be such a peaceful and relaxing place.

I agree with you about the Dolphin's renovated lobby, in that it's not as quiet as in years past. Although I like some of the new design elements in the renovation, I prefer a less flashy lobby. Yet, the trend in hotel lobby design is to create a more interactive experience for the guests--walk up bars, brighter lighting, etc. So they're catering to the industry standard.

You may like staying over at the Swan, as well. It's smaller, and more intimate, with no large lobby like the Dolphin. I also like the outdoor courtyard areas, off the main lobby. They have some tables and chairs, foliage, and are peaceful, especially in the early morning. (Nice place to sit with a newspaper, or a laptop/tablet, and a cup of coffee.) :)

BoarderPhreak

The Dolphin lobby used to be largely a ghost town... So if they were hoping to attract more business/activity - they've succeeded. Even if it's mostly just the more visible lounge.

LOL... yep... you are correct. My bad.. Meant to say WDW property not on property.
Hate to break it to ya, but the Swan is on WDW property too. What I think you're trying to say is that you've "always stayed at a Disney resort."

Since it’s the same topic, the fact that they’re clearly visible in the World Showcase is a bit unattractive.
I don't find them to be that intrusive (unlike the Skyliner will surely be). It's only in a rather narrow direction that you see them, and mostly the Dolphin at that. In a way, it looks like a pyramid from that angle - so makes a little sense in World Showcase (you have to be standing nearly across the WS lagoon to see them). From Norway, for example:

i.php

Yeah, one of the most recently-renovated resorts anywhere on property is outdated. Great call.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say you didn't click to reveal the spoiler - and catch the drift of that post. 😉

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

The Dolphin lobby used to be largely a ghost town... So if they were hoping to attract more business/activity - they've succeeded. Even if it's mostly just the more visible lounge.

Hate to break it to ya, but the Swan is on WDW property too. What I think you're trying to say is that you've "always stayed at a Disney resort."

I don't find them to be that intrusive (unlike the Skyliner will surely be). It's only in a rather narrow direction that you see them, and mostly the Dolphin at that. In a way, it looks like a pyramid from that angle - so makes a little sense in World Showcase (you have to be standing nearly across the WS lagoon to see them). From Norway, for example:

i.php

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say you didn't click to reveal the spoiler - and the catch the drift of that post. 😉
I totally did miss that spoiler! Epic fail on my part!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom