Swan and Dolphin look outdated?

Corgi

Original Poster
Anyone else think that the outside of the Swan and Dolphin looks tacky? I personally don’t find them to look that pretty. What’s your opinion?

LUVofDIS

I love the Swan and Dolphin. We have stayed there many times and of all of the resorts, we probably call this one home, that is until we do DVC.

The outside is a little dated and over stated, but I don't really notice it anymore. The look of the hotel is not what we love. We love a few of the restaurants, the rooms (size and beds), location and the transportation. The transportation is shared with the BC and YC and of all the resorts we have stayed at, it is the quickest and easiest to get a seat. This includes the boats to EPCOT and HS.

There are also times that it is nice to escape the in your face Disney. The Disney décor that does exist is usually subtle.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The color schemes are back in now. In fact, the teal and tomato soup red (along with avocado green and sunflower yellow) keep coming back in style every few years.

From a distance, they struck me as odd at first, but that's because of the unique profiles. But I've grown to like them.

Up close, the attempt to create a seaside cabana look with overly thick panels looked, at first, to me as a circus theme! It took a while from me to get the seaside theming. But the oversized massiveness is always impressive... the exact opposite of tacky, which implies cheapness. There's nothing cheap about the Swolphin.

The Dolphin's lobby has been redesigned to be a chic, modern interior. Looks nice. Nothing spectacular. Outside the Dolphin's lobby, the original theming exists throughout the public spaces.

All the rooms have been updated to modern upscale design. Again, very nice, but not spectacular.

WDWVolFan

I’ve stayed there for a conference. It’s a nice hotel but it was very hard being there for work and wanting to go to to the parks.
Aren’t they the ones that you cannot buy the meal plan?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No, I think they are beautiful hotels.

home_1.jpg

celluloid

They are not Walt Disney owned and operated so it makes certain things difficult and with the Walt Disney World owned and operated resorts lacking, this third party resort seems to get away with even more poor upkeep in recent years.

Fun fact,
Michael Eisner asked the world famous architect of the resort to tone it down. The hotel as we know it know is the toned down result.
Another (fun?) fact.

At the Disney Reservation Center and on property, it is always asked to be strictly referred to as The Walt Disney World Swann and Dolphin. Many people presume that it is a Walt Disney Worled and operated property, and that was part of the deal originally. It is a fireable offense to proactively offer information that it is not really an owned and operated by Disney hotel and recommend another. With sales hicharcy if they are specifically looking and asking about the Swann and Dolphin, that should be sold first unless no vacancies, than your Deluxe resorts and moderates are pushed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
it is always asked to be strictly referred to as The Walt Disney World Swann and Dolphin. Many people presume that it is a Walt Disney Worled and operated property, and that was part of the deal originally.

That's because it is being run for WDW, but by a third party. If WDW wanted to, it could farm out the running of all their resorts to a third party, but, they'd still be WDW resorts. And while Tishman may own the building, WDW still owns the land. Everything is leased and contracted, but on behest of Disney. That's why the Swolphin gets all the perks of a WDW Resort except for the ones that require live and instant integration of data, such as Magic Bands.

celluloid

That's because it is being run for WDW, but by a third party. If WDW wanted to, it could farm out the running of all their resorts to a third party, but, they'd still be WDW resorts. And while Tishman may own the building, WDW still owns the land. Everything is leased and contracted, but on behest of Disney. That's why the Swolphin gets all the perks of a WDW Resort except for the ones that require live and instant integration of data, such as Magic Bands.

I thought that was explained in the first stencance of my post above yours.

Disneyfan_76

My wife finds them both ugly. I don't mind them too much. That being said, we loved our stay there. The interior looks good, so just try to ignore the outside if you don't like it. I will say though that some of their hallway carpets, molding, etc were looking a little worn and beat up. Some areas might need a refresh, but overall I find this resort to be the best value for your money. Great place to stay. Plus, SWAN BOATS :)

crxbrett

I always thought they looked very beautiful and also very 1940s/1950s Cuban or Vegas in style and decor - meaning nice but also sort of flashy and with giant objects and fountains. Which I actually like. I have seriously contemplated staying at the resorts, but the fact that they don't offer DME and the fact that my gal thinks they look "too tacky and too much like Vegas" means I probably won't. But the deluxe quality for moderate prices makes it very attractive and enticing!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Anyone else think that the outside of the Swan and Dolphin looks tacky? I personally don’t find them to look that pretty. What’s your opinion?

Thats how I feel about New York City. The Land lease is for 99 years, the Tishman Group and Met Life own the buildings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom