SW Celebration Orlando: Star Wars and the Disney Parks Panel

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And my Mickey head emblazoned Magic Band wouldn't? Just make the tickets plastic with RFID and have them be referred to as passports.

Your MB won't have to be scanned because it has a battery-powered long range RFID, unlike the unpowered RFID in the ticket which needs almost touching proximity to work.

Mike S

On the topic of the Story Engine stuff would it be too much to ask that if I join the Resistance and do really well on the Falcon that StormTroopers patrolling the land spot me and go "There he is! Blast him!"?

Then one of those streetmosphere fights break out and I'm saved by other Resistance fighters :)

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
On the topic of the Story Engine stuff would it be too much to ask that if I join the Resistance and do really well on the Falcon that StormTroopers patrolling the land spot me and go "There he is! Blast him!"?

Then one of those streetmosphere fights break out and I'm saved by other Resistance fighters :)

Yes, but only during the Food and Wine festival. ;)

Jones14

That'd certainly take the idea of the Rebel spy to the next level.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The Troopers should show up at your place of work a few weeks after vacation forcing you to jump out a window to escape.

brb1006

I love all of this and I hate to be that guy ... but do we think WDW can keep up the stunt actors and the roaming characters and droids? Sorry I know it's years away but that part concerns me. But I love all of it. I can't wait.
It's been so long since WDW had any roaming characters.

DDLand

While I love the idea of "Story Engine" coming to life and choices following you, etc. how will they keep that up? A lot of guests may love the idea but not want to be "harassed" so to speak. I know it's all in good fun and the SW fans are going to eat it up but it should be interesting how it's handled in the long-term. Is WDW panicking yet at all of this they have to keep up with?

I really love the idea of the immersion of it all but I don't trust those running the parks to keep it up. I really hope they can and do. *crossing fingers* because the more I see about it the more excited I get. A lot of this sounds really cool. Anyone else notice the water fountains? There's a creature that pops up in the murky water on the wall ...
This is the big gamble. They've done it on smaller scale projects, but this is going to push things to levels never even dreamed of. Does it work? Does it last? Is this going to be a high profile failure that ends with computer glitches, guest intimidation, and broken effects?

Honestly, I can't say for sure how this will pan out. The thinking behind is really cool either way. Story Engine is like a next level role playing experience.

The issues you particularly pointed out make sense. The idea behind Story Engine is you get what you put in. If a performer talks to a guest about something and the guest shows disinterest or even distress, that will be taken into account and the interactivity will be toned down. If on the other hand the guest is totally into it Story Engine will allow guests to push it to incredible levels of realism.

So if you don't want to be accosted by characters that is totally your prerogative. I actually wouldn't be shocked if you could turn it off through in an App. We're on a totally new frontier here. Everything will seem random, but there is a computer pulling the strings helping create an experience optimized for you.
The other problem I see with the Story Engine idea is how many guests will actually be able to experience it? When the land is busy will it be practical to have that kind of personal interaction with every guest?
This too is a reasonable concern. I suspect that the people who actually will push this to the extremes will be few and far between. This could actually create tiers of guests who go almost totally unaware of the system.

That's what makes me nervous that this will be primarily for hyper nerds who spend enormous amounts of time in there (I say that lovingly as a nerd myself ;) ). This system has to be approachable for even the most skeptical guest. If it's not, it's essentially failed, but the flip side to that is theme parks have always been about getting what you put into it. There are people who have no clue about Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, the same may be true of this.

Like I said, these are totally uncharted waters. It's bold, but also risky.

Or having guests buy an overpriced "real" light saber that has the same function as a magic band
Buying in is a real possibility. Hopefully Story Engine is accessible, but it might not. This land will be made for merchandise tie ins. We could discuss the merits of making in Park experiences that require purchases to fully access, but that can be for another time... :)
This land looks incredible, but I also have my doubts about the streetmosphere's longevity. Also, what if a droid breaks down and Disney doesn't want to pay for the upkeep? I guess that it would fit the land to move the broken droid to some corner.
Tell me about it. Hundreds of performers, dozens of interactive droids, and full retinue of insane customers and masks. The makeup department alone will be massive undertaking, not even taking into account the robotics upkeep. This experience would really really suffer it's not maintained, so they better be careful.

The computer center they're going to need will be like a Space Shuttle Mission control.

You'd have to build up a "reputation" and show that you were really interested before this would ever happen, but they did mention "people could be looking for you..."

This, amazingly, is not far fetched at all.

That's Star Wars Experience for you...

Last edited:

Mike S

You'd have to build up a "reputation" and show that you were really interested before this would ever happen, but they did mention "people could be looking for you..."

I wouldn't describe myself as a "hyper nerd" as I don't do cosplay and stuff but I am totally going to take this as far as I can :D

DDLand

I wouldn't describe myself as a "hyper nerd" as I don't do cosplay and stuff but I am totally going to take this as far as I can :D
That's probably where I am too. You could conceivably spend days in there, running around and doing missions. The level of depth here will create a space where you can live out the world and create hours and hours of content.

I'm expecting certain locals to get "addicted" to Star Wars Experience and Story Engine. The experience never stops.

*Q*

There will be nerds who will live in SWE and probably become totally known to Story Engine and the performers.
Sounds almost like a club, for people who love adventure. An Adventurers Club, if you will.

You don't need to take any action for a magic band to be read, so a CM could walk up to you and know your story without you having to do anything. That cannot be done with the current park tickets.
I could see them making this a tiered experience. Could be as simple as if you have any MagicBand you have access to the Story Engine, or if you're just in the park with a standard day ticket you're just getting the barebones experience. Or maybe they can program additional levels of interactivity, like if you book a Star Wars-specific vacation package or pay the forty bucks or whatever for a special Star Wars MagicBand.

[This is the big gamble. They've done it on smaller scale projects, but this is going to push things to levels never even dreamed of. Does it work? Does it last? Is this going to be a high profile failure that ends with computer glitches, guest intimidation, and broken effects?

Honestly, I can't say for sure how this will pan out. The thinking behind is really cool either way. Story Engine is like a next level role playing experience.

The issues you particularly pointed out make sense. The idea behind Story Engine is you get what you put in. If a performer talks to a guest about something and the guest shows disinterest or even distress, that will be taken into account and the interactivity will be toned down. If on the other hand the guest is totally into it Story Engine will allow guests to push it to incredible levels of realism.

So if you don't want to be accosted by characters that is totally your prerogative. I actually wouldn't be shocked if you could turn it off through in an App. We're on a totally new frontier here. Everything will seem random, but there is a computer pulling the strings helping create an experience optimized for you.

This too is a reasonable concern. I suspect that the people who actually will push this to the extremes will be few and far between. This could actually create tiers of guests who go almost totally unaware of the system.

That's what makes me nervous that this will be primarily for hyper nerds who spend enormous amounts of time in there (I say that lovingly as a nerd myself ;) ). This system has to be approachable for even the most skeptical guest. If it's not, it's essentially failed, but the flip side to that is theme parks have always been about getting what you put into it. There are people who have no clue about Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, the same may be true of this.
I could see how they might do an initial screening for responsiveness to interactivity in the queues of each attraction, since those are somewhere where almost every single guest will be funneled through. A majority of guests will typically beeline for one of the big rides and they could perhaps set up just a simple little interaction that gives a general "yes" or "no" sense of how each guest responds to interactivity. And then maybe it could be further screened from there based on how involved you get with the Millennium Falcon.

The computer center they're going to need will be like a Space Shuttle Mission control.
I imagine something like the Westworld control room, haha.

Mike S

That's probably where I am too. You could conceivably spend days in there, running around and doing missions. The level of depth here will create a space where you can live out the world and create hours and hours of content.

I'm expecting certain locals to get "addicted" to Star Wars Experience and Story Engine. The experience never stops.
Could we become spies? I would love to spy on the First Order.

SirLink

The other problem I see with the Story Engine idea is how many guests will actually be able to experience it? When the land is busy will it be practical to have that kind of personal interaction with every guest?

You know FP+ what if you say had to book your entry to the Star Wars Experience from Dawn to Dusk? :cautious:

doctornick

While I love the idea of "Story Engine" coming to life and choices following you, etc. how will they keep that up? A lot of guests may love the idea but not want to be "harassed" so to speak. I know it's all in good fun and the SW fans are going to eat it up but it should be interesting how it's handled in the long-term. Is WDW panicking yet at all of this they have to keep up with?

I'm wondering if you would have to "opt in" to participate. It could be done in a relatively "in character" way, like on the brochures saying there is a First Order base at one spot or a Resistance station at another (or some den where Bounty Hunters hang out) and you have to visit there when entering the land to "sign up" (via activating your magic band or whatnot for the function) to join the Resistance so that you'll be part of the action.

I find it hard to expect that everyone automatically would be participating. A number of guests would hate that and they'd get negative feedback right away. There would have to be a way to either join or decline to participate.

I really love the idea of the immersion of it all but I don't trust those running the parks to keep it up. I really hope they can and do. *crossing fingers* because the more I see about it the more excited I get. A lot of this sounds really cool. Anyone else notice the water fountains? There's a creature that pops up in the murky water on the wall ...

The one good thing is that there are so many hardcore fans of Star Wars (or even more moderate fans who would just be into it when they visit WDW) that you'd have a pretty strong outcry when/if functionality declines. And by and large that wouldn't be a fan base of "pixie dusters" who would defend Disney, in fact many are skeptical of the company and would relish the chance to loudly condemn them. The fear of negative publicity could help to motivate them to keep up the full fledged activity.

jmuboy

This is the big gamble. They've done it on smaller scale projects, but this is going to push things to levels never even dreamed of. Does it work? Does it last? Is this going to be a high profile failure that ends with computer glitches, guest intimidation, and broken effects?

Like I said, these are totally uncharted waters. It's bold, but also risky.

Buying in is a real possibility. Hopefully Story Engine is accessible, but it might not. This land will be made for merchandise tie ins. We could discuss the merits of making in Park experiences that require purchases to fully access, but that can be for another time... :)

Tell me about it. Hundreds of performers, dozens of interactive droids, and full retinue of insane customers and masks. The makeup department alone will be massive undertaking, not even taking into account the robotics upkeep. This experience would really really suffer it's not maintained, so they better be careful.

Story Engine if it works properly could be a great fix for Mission Space ( along with must better imagery to view in the capsule )

phi2134

After entertainment get's cut eventually, this will basically turn into waiters at the restaurants denying you a drink because you crashed the Millenium falcon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom