SW Celebration Orlando: Star Wars and the Disney Parks Panel

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
The other problem I see with the Story Engine idea is how many guests will actually be able to experience it? When the land is busy will it be practical to have that kind of personal interaction with every guest?
Lines of people waiting in line for SotMK or to use the interactive wands at the Wizarding Worlds comes to mind.

hpyhnt 1000

I'm wondering if you would have to "opt in" to participate. It could be done in a relatively "in character" way, like on the brochures saying there is a First Order base at one spot or a Resistance station at another (or some den where Bounty Hunters hang out) and you have to visit there when entering the land to "sign up" (via activating your magic band or whatnot for the function) to join the Resistance so that you'll be part of the action.

I find it hard to expect that everyone automatically would be participating. A number of guests would hate that and they'd get negative feedback right away. There would have to be a way to either join or decline to participate.

The one good thing is that there are so many hardcore fans of Star Wars (or even more moderate fans who would just be into it when they visit WDW) that you'd have a pretty strong outcry when/if functionality declines. And by and large that wouldn't be a fan base of "pixie dusters" who would defend Disney, in fact many are skeptical of the company and would relish the chance to loudly condemn them. The fear of negative publicity could help to motivate them to keep up the full fledged activity.

I think you're onto something with this. Such an opt in system could even allow for "tiers" of the Story Engine experience.

The most basic level would pretty much be the current MM+ system, things like your name appearing on a poster or maybe some kind of small interactivity on the rides (like having an AA or CM actor reference your name). This would be done automatically but is minor enough that no one would feel especially creeped out by it.

An intermediate level could be the suggested sign-up to be part of the Rebel Alliance or join the First Order. This could lead to a mini attraction-like experience similar to Sorcerer's of the MK or the Jedi training show.

Finally a top level that might require both luck and opt in. Given the seedy nature of this space port, I could see a few CM actors wandering the land looking for "volunteers" to be part of a longer story arc, reserved for individuals or groups of no more than 5 people. And there could be Rebel and First Order storylines.

For example, how about a CM playing a bounty hunter approaches you about a reward for finding a wanted person and you to join as the bounty hunter's "crew" to go after them. If you say yes, you would be taking part in a 30 min storyline visiting various parts of the land (little nooks, back rooms, etc.) and interacting with other CMs and/or costumed characters. If Disney is really ambitious, it could even involve something like the Falcon ride where you pretend to steal the MF to chase after the wanted criminal as he flees the planet (this could be done by skipping the main line via a separate entry and riding a special version of the attraction made just for this storyline).

Who knows what the final product will be, but on the surface, there's a ton of cool possibilities. It would be a very Westworld-esque concept, bringing a new kind of interactivity to the theme park experience. And I think it's definitely something that a lot of people would love to participate in, Star Wars fans or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom