Suttle Launch on Saturday

tigger1968

My wife and I will be at WDW from 6/30 to 7/5 and are thinking of travelling over to the Cape for the shuttle launch. Has anyone ever done this while staying at the World? Also, if anyone has any pointers about good sites to view, traffic, etc, I'd really appreciate it. And can anyone tell me an approximate drive time from WDW to the coast?

Thanks!

tigger1968

Original Poster
This is what we have learned since I started this post.... (lol)

1) There is now a 60% chance of cloud cover too thick to launch forecast on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, with chances getting worse later in the week.

2) Since we are taking ME from the airport to WDW, we are either going to have to: a) rent a car for one day or b) buy tickets on a Gray Line tour to the KSC. Two non refundable tickets are $230 for the premium view, and I haven't even priced a rental yet.

3) The same weekend, I have been told about Daytona 500 (forgot that), a biker rally, and the launch all in close proximity. Total traffic nightmare appears to be shaping up for the coast.

4) I have a friend who's father works for NASA here in Huntsville, and she told me that her father was told that if you didn't have some direct involvement with the launch, then don't bother going down, as they feel like the launch will be scrubbed. (only a third party rumor I have been told - DO NOT quote me on this...lol)

Based on all this, where does that leave myself and my wife at 3:48 on Saturday??

Watching the skies from the Magic Kingdom! If the launch does go as planned, I think that seeing it from the Happiest Place on Earth will be a nice way to start my vacation! And if it doesn't, heck, I'm at Walt Disney World!

Upvote 0

Number_6

I watched a launch from Epcot once. If you walk past the Fountain of Nations towards the World Showcase Lagoon and stop about halfway, there is a nice area to hang out and see it. And since the area is generally wide open, you can get a pretty good look at it as it launces not to far off from the direction of Mission:Space.

Upvote 0

Firewolfe51

its about an hour to the cape during normal times. Lets not forget the FIRECRACKER 400 im sorry the PEPSI 400 is saturday night. Central FL is going to be eat up with PEOPLE this weekend. Anywhere on the beach in Cocoa is a good place, there will be a ton of people. I bet you could have a great time anywhere you went. Wish we could be there.............. man oh man at the magic. NOW THAT WOULD BE A GREAT TRIP! JUST TO BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

eroyee

shuttle launch

:wave: The Associated Press said theres a 60% chance that clouds capable of producing lightning would prevent a launch on Saturday afternoon and that Sunday and Monday look the same. Its supposed to worsen as the week goes on. Just to let you know. Have fun at the world. lucky you!!:lol:

Upvote 0

frankd1962

I just upload to my photo album here a shot I took from outside the front of All-Star Movies. I had watched the launch on TV then ran out to the front of the hotel to get that shot.

It was the second time that happened to me.:sohappy: When we went in '92 we were on International Drive when the shuttle went up. Ran out on the balcony, leaned over a bit and snaped a shot of it. Can't find that picture but all it looked like was a whit cloud column going upward. It was exciting to see them twice in my life.

Don't know how to post a picture here so you can look in there at it and a couple shots of me also.

Upvote 0

NASAMan

My advice:

The idea about being at Epcot is great, positioning yourself to look toward Mission: Space from restrooms outside of Innoventions East. If the sky is clear, You can get a great picture of the exhaust plume over M:E.

Launch is scheduled at 3:48 PM EDT, with a five minute window. SO, if you don't see anything by 4:00, go on with your day knowing it either scrubbed for the day, or clouds were blocking your view anyway.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Carrotski

I just found out that one of the crew is from my town, Crowborough, here in the UK. What a shame I won't be able to see the launch though as we don't arrive in Orlando until about 20 mins before lift off.

Upvote 0

scottnj1966

tigger1968 said:
My wife and I will be at WDW from 6/30 to 7/5 and are thinking of travelling over to the Cape for the shuttle launch. Has anyone ever done this while staying at the World? Also, if anyone has any pointers about good sites to view, traffic, etc, I'd really appreciate it. And can anyone tell me an approximate drive time from WDW to the coast?

Thanks!

I live in Titusville, right across the river from the Cape.
Traffic will be pretty bad. Come early no matter what the city you are going to watch it lift off from, Titusville, Cocoa Beach, or Cape Canaveral

http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/spaceshuttlepage.htm

Upvote 0

CatLady

Anyone who isn't in the area but wants to know the details of what is going on can visit http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts121/status.html for literally minute-by-minute updates. I use it when I'm at work to keep an eye on the shuttle launches so I know whether to go outside and try to watch.

In my previous office building, over half of the staff went outside to see the last launch. I have seen fire drills that took longer to empty the building than a shuttle launch! :lol:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks to having absolutely no plans for the 4th this year the family and I made the road trip to Space View Park to view the shuttle launch. Here are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure.

shuttle023.jpg

shuttle028.jpg

shuttle034.jpg

shuttle060.jpg

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

Thanks MASTER YODA!

Looks like where i watched the launch from a few years ago.

AWESOME view! I get goosebimps just remembering it!

I was wondering if anyone was able to make it over there!

Thanks for sharing the pics!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
YankeesFan said:
We were lucky enough to be at the Magic Kingdom last year during the launch. We stood in between the Indy track and Tea Cups and were able to see the shuttle rise above Space Mountain and then disappear into the heavens. It was quite the sight!!

We were there in July too (17th I think, Friday) and saw it go up over Space Mountain. Got some good pictures of flame and then a tremendous smoke trail. I'm checking that off as getting to see a launch, although being closer for a future one will be a bonus.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Master Yoda said:
Thanks to having absolutely no plans for the 4th this year the family and I made the road trip to Space View Park to view the shuttle launch. Here are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure.

shuttle023.jpg

shuttle028.jpg

shuttle034.jpg

shuttle060.jpg

Thanks much for sharing Yoda! Great pictures...love the very blue sky, just enough clouds....wonderful! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
ClemsonTigger said:
We were there in July too (17th I think, Friday) and saw it go up over Space Mountain. Got some good pictures of flame and then a tremendous smoke trail. I'm checking that off as getting to see a launch, although being closer for a future one will be a bonus.
It is really a different experience when you are close enough to hear and feel the launch. It is something I recommend that everyone do at least once in their lives. The first launch I went to was back in 1988 or 89 and we viewed it from the causeway into Kennedy. We were about 1/4 mile from the guard shack which put us about 2 miles closer then 11.2 mile view from Space View Park where the pictures were taken. There is nothing like feeing the earth shake from the lift off. I can only imagine what it was like to experience the Saturn V lift off first hand. I would love to get tickets and view it from the Astronaut hall of fame or even better yet on base. But Shuttle launches are such a fickle and unpredictable thing that I have yet to throw down the cash to do it.

Upvote 0

tigger1968

Original Poster
We watched it go up from in front of the Food Court at POR. It was a great place to see it go up, although I really wish we had been at the coast. That is, until we saw the traffic on the news....

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom