Suttle Launch on Saturday

tigger1968

My wife and I will be at WDW from 6/30 to 7/5 and are thinking of travelling over to the Cape for the shuttle launch. Has anyone ever done this while staying at the World? Also, if anyone has any pointers about good sites to view, traffic, etc, I'd really appreciate it. And can anyone tell me an approximate drive time from WDW to the coast?

Thanks!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
brkgnews said:
Great stuff, Yoda... how early did you guys have to get there in order to get such a prime viewing spot?
We got to Space View about 11:00 AM and the spot was not all that prime. By that time all of the viewing at the waters edge had been taken up. I found a spot by the Old Glory Memorial about 20 feet away from the waters edge where there was what looked like auditorium steps. I set up the tripod on top of those which gave me about 8' of elevation. Almost enough to get above everyone except for the guy that held up his video camera right in-front of my camera. You can see his finger right below the shuttle in the fires picture. As you would expect in true Disney parade and fireworks fashion tons of people thought it was perfectly acceptable to show up ten minuets before the launch and muscle there way in front of you. One woman was even nice enough to knock my tripod over twice 10 minuets before the launch and then gave me the "Oh did I do that?" look.

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

Here was the view from the roadway between Daytona Speedway and the Airport. We had planned on going somewhere in Titusville but in driving from Virginia I ended up being a little later than planned. I too saw it in 97 from POR which was a night launch. The really wierd thing was about 10 minutes after the launch in 97 I could hear the roar but so much closer at daytona I heard nothing.

Attachments

• 7-4-06 009.jpg
    7-4-06 009.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom