Survivor S40: Winners at War

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I am so not down for that. Very rarely have the teenage players been exciting. Michael and Julia are really the only two who have been good. The rest kind of flopped.

I also have seen it mentioned on Twitter that kids that age should not be going through that mental state. It was frequently talked about this season how much of a toll it takes on your mentally. And these are winners. Imagine 16 and 17 year olds going through that. Hard pass.

I mean.... I served in Baghdad with plenty of 17 year olds.... I'm pretty sure they can handle an extended camping trip.

Wendy Pleakley

I mean.... I served in Baghdad with plenty of 17 year olds.... I'm pretty sure they can handle an extended camping trip.

Did you not listen to what the players were saying on the show? Jeremy didn't trust his wife for a period after playing, because the lying and subterfuge put him in a mental state of second guessing everything said to him.

The lack of food and energy magnifies the mental impacts of the game.

Players who were told they didn't deserve to win, endured self doubt, and in many cases encountered direct hostility.

The show edits players to be "heroes" or "villains" in many cases, and people treat them as such in real life, not understanding that what they see on TV is a character created in the editing bay.

Different people will be able to handle all of that to different degrees, but it's very clear that the impact of Survivor on players is not that of an "extended camping trip".

Wendy Pleakley

Do you think any of the players in this season will play again?

Of course. I'm sure this was the swan song for many of the players, but a lot would come back in a heartbeat, and the show certainly sees benefit in having familiar faces.

Tony said in an interview he negotiated a minimum $25,000 payout for all players. Even former winners aren't going to turn down that kind of money for a 39 day experience.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Did you not listen to what the players were saying on the show? Jeremy didn't trust his wife for a period after playing, because the lying and subterfuge put him in a mental state of second guessing everything said to him.

The lack of food and energy magnifies the mental impacts of the game.

Players who were told they didn't deserve to win, endured self doubt, and in many cases encountered direct hostility.

The show edits players to be "heroes" or "villains" in many cases, and people treat them as such in real life, not understanding that what they see on TV is a character created in the editing bay.

Different people will be able to handle all of that to different degrees, but it's very clear that the impact of Survivor on players is not that of an "extended camping trip".

I would imagine if they did a Survivor for teens it would be a watered down version. Like high school Jeopardy.

Which I guess is another reason they shouldn't go there.

PUSH

Original Poster
Of course. I'm sure this was the swan song for many of the players, but a lot would come back in a heartbeat, and the show certainly sees benefit in having familiar faces.

Tony said in an interview he negotiated a minimum $25,000 payout for all players. Even former winners aren't going to turn down that kind of money for a 39 day experience.
I think it could possibly spark the return of some players who probably wouldn't have been brought back outside of a winners season. I'm specifically thinking of Sophie and Michele. They were two you probably wouldn't have seen brought back under a different theme, but proved themselves. If they are willing, I bet producers would love to see them back.

I think this is the swan song for some players, though. For sure Amber and Danni. Most likely Ben, Parvati, Kim, Yul, Denise... I could see Rob, Sandra, Tyson, and Jeremy calling it quits. I could also see them coming back.

I think this season helped the chances of Michele or Sophie's return, if they want to come back. I'm sure producers would love to have them.

The rest, I have no idea.

PUSH

Original Poster
For those of you who think there is a Survivor offseason, think again. I have started rewatching Tocantins already, and I'm two episodes in.

artvandelay

I think it could possibly spark the return of some players who probably wouldn't have been brought back outside of a winners season. I'm specifically thinking of Sophie and Michele. They were two you probably wouldn't have seen brought back under a different theme, but proved themselves. If they are willing, I bet producers would love to see them back.

I think this is the swan song for some players, though. For sure Amber and Danni. Most likely Ben, Parvati, Kim, Yul, Denise... I could see Rob, Sandra, Tyson, and Jeremy calling it quits. I could also see them coming back.

I think this season helped the chances of Michele or Sophie's return, if they want to come back. I'm sure producers would love to have them.

The rest, I have no idea.
Ethan said he’s done. Tony said he’d come back for Survivor: Senior Citizen Edition!

JPPT1974

Really am glad Tony won. Plus glad that the jury was respectful and nice as usually they are anything but nice. One of the best seasons. Not too mean spirited. Like other seasons are.

NYwdwfan

For teens to play it would have to be more like camping. I asked my 16 year old daughter if she wants to apply and she said not in a million years. Then she saw a spider in her room and freaked out. So it’s definitely not for her!!

NYwdwfan

I feel like this season was like baseball pre-interleague play: two parallel seasons being played with a different set of rules and the winner of each facing off in the end. I’m not a fan of this format but the season was fantastic.

manmythlegend

Do you guys remember Brenda Lowe? She played in a couple seasons of Survivor, very attractive. I was watching Baywatch the movie a few days ago (yes I'm running out of things to watch during the pandemic) and Brenda was in the opening scene with Dwayne Johnson. Not bad Brenda, not bad.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
For teens to play it would have to be more like camping. I asked my 16 year old daughter if she wants to apply and she said not in a million years. Then she saw a spider in her room and freaked out. So it’s definitely not for her!!

Yeah I agree. Camping with some obstacle course races. They'll for sure get more food and the challenges will be less... challenging. I would absolutely still watch it, because I think kids would have a unique take on everything, but I don't think it will be one of the best seasons.

NYwdwfan

Yeah I agree. Camping with some obstacle course races. They'll for sure get more food and the challenges will be less... challenging. I would absolutely still watch it, because I think kids would have a unique take on everything, but I don't think it will be one of the best seasons.
I could also see potential backlash if any of the contestants came out of if using the magical “b” word (I was bullied).

PUSH

Original Poster
Right now you can buy an ALS Sucks shirt that features all 20 of the Winners at War cast, plus Jonathan Penner and his wife Stacy. $10 of each purchase goes to help the fight against ALS. If you buy one through the weekend, Tony, Michele, and Natalie will sign the shirt. T-shirts are $30, plus shipping. I ordered one. It's not too often you get to get signed Survivor merchandise by three winners and help a good cause for cheap.

They are hoping to sign them and ship them out next week. Here's the link:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I feel really bad for Michelle... i bet she was crushed. But damn she looked amazing for the finale show!

i think nat should get huge credit... but i think the problem is she had to pkay a different game than the others. I think its an unfair comparison andputting them together is a no win situation.

PUSH

Original Poster
20 former Survivor players are playing something called Sequester right now. It's a game where they vote each other out... not sure many other rules. I think there are lots of twists. Here's the link:

dmw

In the Parks
No
Sorry I was not here to join in on the finale conversation... had to spend some time in my own version of EoE, but all is good now (account restored). I was so happy that Tony won. He was so much fun to watch this season! I definitely don't like EoE with the first player voted out being able to get back in, but Natalie played that very well. And, I still don't like how the final three are chosen. Save the fire making for a tie breaker.

The finale was too long... should have been broken into two shows. That would have given Jeff more time to talk to the players. And, Jeff did not need to be remote for the finale - he could have been on a set, assuming he could drive to the set. Plenty of room to social distance on a set. I've been involved in a live stream production just this past week. It can be a challenge, but it is doable. The home set provided to Jeff was cool, however.

Has anyone heard any more about the next season?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom