Survivor S40: Winners at War

NYwdwfan

How dare you vote Ethan!!!

Next to Parvati going, this is the saddest thing to have happened to the Sele tribe. Ethan was probably the nicest guy out there. An amazing story. Just so sad. You could tell he was having the time of his life out there, and he was just thankful for the experience. Would have loved to see him win.

But overall, this was a good move from Jeremy and Michele's perspective. Weaken the old school trio. Dismantle Adam's power. Gain control yourself. I am surprised they got Denise to go against Adam's wishes. Kudos to her for looking after herself. I think she's playing a really great game.

I am still shocked that Parvati and Rob have survived three Tribal Councils. That's crazy.

I also am not a fan of all these old school players being voted off. We waited to long to see Amber, Danni, and Ethan play the game again. The Edge is not the same. But Natalie is killing it on the Edge, and that makes me happy, too. I love Natalie.

I wasn't a fan of the rival tribe invasion again. It isn't that interesting. We already know players don't react to noises because there are cameramen and producers around all the time anyway. It took a lot of time away from probably many other great moments. Although the Tony moment with the ashes was fun. Tony is just a great character. A cartoon character, really.

I also really liked to see Michele take charge. I really like Michele. I personally would have voted for Aubry to win, but I think Michele is deserving as well. She's fun to follow on Twitter.

Once again another great episode, even though Ethan was voted out. This season has been amazing. I hope it continues. The amount of great pre-merges followed by terrible post-merges has been too much lately. I think this season will be so much better, though. These four episodes have already been better Survivor than probably the last 7 combined.
The only thing the tribe infiltration did for me was cement why I would NEVER want to play Survivor. That giant spider on someone’s buff will give me nightmares for weeks!!

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I am so sad. Ethan was the most gentlemanly player out there. It wounds me to see him voted off. Makes me a little happy to have a man on Extinction Island though. Just not THAT man.

Natalie is killing it. That girl is a beast.

How many challenges is the self labelled “Queen” going to be allowed to sit out? Go sit on the Island of Evicts please.

I also had an epiphany tonight ... even if they do ever change the rules and allow Canadians to play, I’ll never make the cut due to the new hip. Space Mountain and Big Thunder are probably out too.

And now I’m even more sad.

BrianLo

Gotta give props to people really taking some feedback and dialing up their game. Nothing but wonderful things to say about Ethan, but Parvarti had him hooked to her wagon undoubtedly. He was a classic third wheel, but a great one!

I can't help but think the further they circle in on Parvarti and Rob, the more they help them out. They are heading into a merge as swing votes at this rate.

Adam is being a classic super fan, who is overplaying the game. It really doesn't work in a cast like this. You can't be a rat.

Also BIG props to Michelle on really taking feedback and playing a more active game. I honestly have no complaints at all about most of the cast left. There are like 15 people I'd be relatively happy with winning the game and clearly that has never happened before.

I think Jeremy is super well positioned. The pendulum has really swung away from him, he's gained some solid allies and frankly it seems like Natalie is the shoe in for a returnee right now. WHICH by the way, that would be an ok use of EoE, it's not so much on the heels of a single challenge in so far as she is just cleaning house and amassing power. I think I like this trade economy component... potentially.

Wendy Pleakley

I initially thought the whole fire token & trade economy idea had some merit, however, one point that I've heard gives me pause. It shifts power away from those players who are playing the best game. Someone who is in a minority, and gets voted out, is then able to provide an advantage to someone they were working with, presumably also part of that minority.

It's not as unfair as the advantage an EoE returnee gets, but it's a mixed bag.

Michelle is a great story of redemption, as her win over Aubry wasn't well received as I recall. Not to say that anyone who makes it to the final three isn't deserving, but this season is affirming her status as a worthy winner.

Wendy Pleakley

It's interesting that all players are holding on to their tokens, except for those who get the invite from EoE. The tokens could have been used for items for the entire team, or as an individual, IIRC. I guess they are waiting to see if the tokens could have more value strategic at some point later in the game.

Yep, advantages will become more important as the game proceeds. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

PUSH

Original Poster
I am so sad. Ethan was the most gentlemanly player out there. It wounds me to see him voted off. Makes me a little happy to have a man on Extinction Island though. Just not THAT man.

Natalie is killing it. That girl is a beast.

How many challenges is the self labelled “Queen” going to be allowed to sit out? Go sit on the Island of Evicts please.

I also had an epiphany tonight ... even if they do ever change the rules and allow Canadians to play, I’ll never make the cut due to the new hip. Space Mountain and Big Thunder are probably out too.

And now I’m even more sad.
They do let Canadians play now. One was on last season.

PUSH

Original Poster
It's interesting that all players are holding on to their tokens, except for those who get the invite from EoE. The tokens could have been used for items for the entire team, or as an individual, IIRC. I guess they are waiting to see if the tokens could have more value strategic at some point later in the game.
I believe right now the player in game can only purchase tribal goods. On the Edge they can buy individual food and advantages. I'm sure the players in game know the tokens will probably become valuable at some point.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
They do let Canadians play now. One was on last season.

51CDF85F-0DD1-4242-A6A1-F8F85B09DA25.jpeg

PUSH

Original Poster
Another tough loss tonight. There are only one or two players I wouldn't be heartbroken to lose, though. One is Nick, who I was hoping would go home. Anyway, some thoughts...

*This season has had some fantastic challenges. Every one has been very entertaining. But why put Adam, Parvati, and Denise on the beam to jump and get the keys? That was high up. They are your shortest tribe mates.

*We've heard how great Sarah's social game was from her fellow castaways on Game Changers, but I felt it really showed tonight for the first time on screen. She was great with Tyson. At Tribal Council, her banter with Kim when she was talking about being star struck was great.

*The scene with Ethan was great, but also that whole EoE thing was boring. Do we really need to see them walk up and down stairs? And why was that something necessary for them to earn a fire token? It seemed random and forced, like they don't have good Edge content so they have to insert something like this... oh wait...

*Parvati has survived five Tribal Councils.

*Denise has now not gone to two total Tribal Councils.

*Kim on Twitter is complete perfection.

*Not thrilled for the swap next week. They swap at 15, which means either 3 tribes of 5 (which would be way too much with EoE), or 2 tribes of 7, with one going to an Exile Island type thing. I would have waited one more vote to swap. I know this is the latest swap we've gotten since South Pacific (there was no swap), but I still don't like early swaps.

Overall, I am loving this season. The Edge has been made more interesting with fire tokens, I will admit, but tonight's episode showed why the Edge is and always will be a flop. But I am a little into the fire tokens, but the jury is still out there. I just don't know how they work without the Edge. In which case, scrap both of them.

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I loved this episode ... except for the whole Tyson being evicted thing. I remain all in on Team-Rob!

The EoE segment had me sobbing. Not even pretty crying - but hiccuping, runny nose, bawling!

Can someone explain how Sandra was allowed to sit out AGAIN?!? Did she not sit out the last challenge?

Who is Michelle’s ex-boyfriend, and why was her win considered controversial? (I don’t remember her season. And I never watched Nick’s, Ben’s, Wendell’s, Adam’s or Sarah’s winning season.)

ETA - Never mind. Google to the rescue.
0CCF7B68-29DB-4BC1-B995-F6F2EA65E2EE.jpeg

Last edited:

PUSH

Original Poster
I loved this episode ... except for the whole Tyson being evicted thing. I remain all in on Team-Rob!

The EoE segment had me sobbing. Not even pretty crying - but hiccuping, runny nose, bawling!

Can someone explain how Sandra was allowed to sit out AGAIN?!? Did she not sit out the last challenge?

Who is Michelle’s ex-boyfriend, and why was her win considered controversial? (I don’t remember her season. And I never watched Nick’s, Ben’s, Wendell’s, Adam’s or Sarah’s winning season.)

ETA - Never mind. Google to the rescue.
Michele's win was considered controversial due to sitting next to Aubry who played a much stronger strategic game. Michele's game was very quiet. She had a strong social game and pulled out a couple of clutch challenge wins at the end to get her to the final 3. Some believe the jury was bitter. When the season aired, certain players said they would have changed their vote to Aubry if they had seen their season first.

I personally would have voted for Aubry, but I don't discredit Michele. I really like her.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Michele's win was considered controversial due to sitting next to Aubry who played a much stronger strategic game. Michele's game was very quiet. She had a strong social game and pulled out a couple of clutch challenge wins at the end to get her to the final 3. Some believe the jury was bitter. When the season aired, certain players said they would have changed their vote to Aubry if they had seen their season first.

I personally would have voted for Aubry, but I don't discredit Michele. I really like her.
Well this is getting embarrassing.

I thought Sophie was Aubrey, and I kept thinking she looked different. 😂

Wendy Pleakley

Amber explaining how much of a bonding experience their task was, is a textbook example of why EoE is problematic. They are not going to be anywhere close to being impartial as jury members if a returnee makes it to the end.

In an ironic twist, the "big" players like Rob, Tyson, Sandra, etc. are actually the underdogs.

"You guys have so much firewood". Classic.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
More Google to the rescue ....

So how is it that Sandra can sit out challenge after challenge? The key is back-to-back challenge rule does not apply to challenges in different episodes.

In the early years of Survivor, there were two challenges in each episode: a reward challenge and an immunity challenge.

But in recent years, especially since Jeff Probst took over as Survivor’s showrunner, elements have been dropped in order to save time (the title sequence and theme song, for one example) and allow more time for character development, strategy talk, and dumb twists like that infernal Edge of Extinction.

Now, in early episodes, we get just one challenge: a combined reward/immunity challenge.

And since there is just one of those each episode, a player can sit out as many of those as they want. It’s only when there are two challenges in an episode that someone can’t sit out twice.

Full article:

PUSH

Original Poster
More Google to the rescue ....

So how is it that Sandra can sit out challenge after challenge? The key is back-to-back challenge rule does not apply to challenges in different episodes.

In the early years of Survivor, there were two challenges in each episode: a reward challenge and an immunity challenge.

But in recent years, especially since Jeff Probst took over as Survivor’s showrunner, elements have been dropped in order to save time (the title sequence and theme song, for one example) and allow more time for character development, strategy talk, and dumb twists like that infernal Edge of Extinction.

Now, in early episodes, we get just one challenge: a combined reward/immunity challenge.

And since there is just one of those each episode, a player can sit out as many of those as they want. It’s only when there are two challenges in an episode that someone can’t sit out twice.

Full article:
That's how Rob and Stephen explained it on their podcast. I, for one, am super happy they are combining rewards and immunities. I liked reward challenges back when they had social capital at large. For example, the tribe ranking challenges, the challenges that offered clues to idols at the reward, etc. But in modern Survivor they have become meaningless from a gameplay perspective. So cut them and let us have move character development and strategy. But not more twists. I've rather have reward challenges than the Edge.

PUSH

Original Poster
Season 41 of Survivor has been delayed due to the coronavirus outbreak. They were set to start filming on March 24. This will also push back the filming of season 42, which was set to start on May 24. If no further delays occur, the original air times for these seasons would not be impacted. The new filming start is "on or around May 19th", according to Jeff Probst's message to the Survivor crew. That would be right after the WaW live finale.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom