Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

Stevek

I’ve heard 3.5 different options. I doubt all come to fruition.
I doubt they want to open up access to too much of the park but there are a handful of places that make sense:

Flo's
Sonoma Terrace
Pacific Wharf eateries + Ghiradelli (this makes the most sense to me, biggest variety, large open space)

I doubt there is much reason to open up west of that area i.e. Boardwalk Pizza, Paradise Garden Grill, PP food stands.

cmwade77

Anyone else heard about the possibility of DCA’s dining area expanding beyond what opened in November in the near-ish future.
I had heard rumblings that the shops and such on Main Street were being stocked just before the shut down. And Main Street would make a lot of sense as Carnation Cafe, Plaza and Jolly Holiday all have a fair amount of outdoor seating and there would be high demand to get into the Disneyland side as well.

At DCA, Flo's would make some sense, but they would have to create more outdoor seating, Lamplight could be workable, as could Sonoma Terrace and Pacific Wharf locations, even the Boardwalk area could work as well, but I think to get that many venues they would need to be doing a Tasting event similar to Knott's that also includes entertainment and more atmosphere.

el_super

I doubt they want to open up access to too much of the park but there are a handful of places that make sense:

Flo's
Sonoma Terrace
Pacific Wharf eateries + Ghiradelli (this makes the most sense to me, biggest variety, large open space)

I doubt there is much reason to open up west of that area i.e. Boardwalk Pizza, Paradise Garden Grill, PP food stands.

I think you're right: they're not going to want to open up too much of the park. More land open means more CMs, more bathrooms, security. They have the option of increasing food capacity without opening more physical space in the park by bringing back the food booths... if that's what they really want to do.

I don't think Flo's makes too much sense, because opening up something like Carsland would generally lower the prospects of getting people to pay for the experience at a later date. Same as with Main Street. It's sort of like, why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? They need to convince a bunch of former annual passholders to spend money on one day tickets.

Basically if you think something would make sense because you want to do it, then it wouldn't make sense for Disney to give it away for free.

The bigger concern for Disney right now though is demand. Downtown Disney has been as close to being empty as you can imagine. They are, shuttering stores and lowering merchandise capacity, at a time when merchandise is the only option available. It will remain to be seen if, a return of outdoor dining will actually encourage increased visitation, and at what point that demand peaks.

With a $10 entry fee, and a pandemic still out of control, there isn't going to be a lot of demand for Downtown Disney restaurants AND Disney restaurants and more Disney Restaurants and Disney food booths. There are only so many meals one can eat in a day.

Stevek

I think you're right: they're not going to want to open up too much of the park. More land open means more CMs, more bathrooms, security. They have the option of increasing food capacity without opening more physical space in the park by bringing back the food booths... if that's what they really want to do.

I don't think Flo's makes too much sense, because opening up something like Carsland would generally lower the prospects of getting people to pay for the experience at a later date. Same as with Main Street. It's sort of like, why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? They need to convince a bunch of former annual passholders to spend money on one day tickets.

Basically if you think something would make sense because you want to do it, then it wouldn't make sense for Disney to give it away for free.

The bigger concern for Disney right now though is demand. Downtown Disney has been as close to being empty as you can imagine. They are, shuttering stores and lowering merchandise capacity, at a time when merchandise is the only option available. It will remain to be seen if, a return of outdoor dining will actually encourage increased visitation, and at what point that demand peaks.

With a $10 entry fee, and a pandemic still out of control, there isn't going to be a lot of demand for Downtown Disney restaurants AND Disney restaurants and more Disney Restaurants and Disney food booths. There are only so many meals one can eat in a day.
To me, the parking is the real issue though there was pretty significant demand when outdoor dining was previously available. The next 2 weeks will be very telling as if whether crowds will suddenly appear again. If they do, I'm guessing Disney will start to open more dining options.

And I agree, if it's something I would want, Disney won't likely do it ;)

el_super

To me, the parking is the real issue though there was pretty significant demand when outdoor dining was previously available. The next 2 weeks will be very telling as if whether crowds will suddenly appear again. If they do, I'm guessing Disney will start to open more dining options.

Well the question that I'm sure Disney is trying to figure out is, how much of that traffic in three weeks the outdoor dining was open, was due to the dining versus holiday shopping. With holiday shopping now in the rearview mirror, is the dining alone enough to justify the $10?

I actually just heard that Disney is recalling fewer Cast Members now than they furloughed in November, so I am guessing one of the eateries is not reopening? I haven't heard which one though.

And I agree, if it's something I would want, Disney won't likely do it ;)

LOL Well... they wouldn't do it for FREE.

cmwade77

Well the question that I'm sure Disney is trying to figure out is, how much of that traffic in three weeks the outdoor dining was open, was due to the dining versus holiday shopping. With holiday shopping now in the rearview mirror, is the dining alone enough to justify the $10?

I actually just heard that Disney is recalling fewer Cast Members now than they furloughed in November, so I am guessing one of the eateries is not reopening? I haven't heard which one though.

LOL Well... they wouldn't do it for FREE.
Fidler is not reopening at this time, no one really knows why.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I had heard rumblings that the shops and such on Main Street were being stocked just before the shut down. And Main Street would make a lot of sense as Carnation Cafe, Plaza and Jolly Holiday all have a fair amount of outdoor seating and there would be high demand to get into the Disneyland side as well.

At DCA, Flo's would make some sense, but they would have to create more outdoor seating, Lamplight could be workable, as could Sonoma Terrace and Pacific Wharf locations, even the Boardwalk area could work as well, but I think to get that many venues they would need to be doing a Tasting event similar to Knott's that also includes entertainment and more atmosphere.
Disney would never give Disneyland itself away for free and just have you pay parking to enter it. Nope.

TP2000

Original Poster
I'm curious too. If carthay books up like they did, I wonder if they'll do the winery at least. Still close and not too difficult to block off.

And the Winery is entirely outdoors! Good thinkin' on that one.

They could make the stroll to the Winery even more worth it by parking Lightning and Mater out on Route 66 so people could stop and take perfect pictures of them in Cars Land. Talk about a once in a lifetime photo op without hordes of people in your shot!

Move these two guys up Route 66 a bit, closer to the Winery, and you have a Photo Op to beat all Photo Ops.

car118944LARGE.jpg

But even the two "indoor" dining rooms at the Winery are rather outdoors. About 90% of that restaurant is all outdoors and completely safe. Get these patio restaurants open by March and get those CM's back to work!

Outdoor-seating-1-wine-country-trattoria.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
I'm hoping for a Drive-Thru Experience similar to Six Flags.

You joke, but I would pay decent money to do that. Especially if they had a few key spots along the route, Vista Viewpoints, where you could pull over and have your photo taken in your car in Disneyland. A family photo in a convertible or cool car/truck (or me in my convertible!) in front of the Castle, plus the unique thrill of driving through Disneyland a la' Lion Country Safari with some staged gags and sights along the way, has to be worth at least a couple hundred bucks.

Car culture is big in SoCal. Every AP Dad from Ventura to San Clemente would be waxing and detailing the family's best car like crazy for a chance to drive thru Disneyland and have the family photo taken along the route. Hysterical!

TP2000

Original Poster

There are a lot of outdoor dining options in both parks.

But lest we all get too excited, at some point the demand just isn't there to fill them without rides. These are amusement parks, after all, and without rides their draw is severely limited. I think adding the Winery may make sense, if they added in some Cars Land Photo Ops and Distanced Entertainment along the way. But once you get that open for the warmer spring weather in two months, I think DCA will be about tapped out without the rides running.

Disneyland probably has more draw to play with, but not a whole lot without its rides. Main Street USA shopping and to-go dining/snacking, with Plaza Inn and Jolly Holiday as the main outdoor table dining locations and strolling the Hub may be about the max for Disneyland without rides.

Unless, of course, they go the full John Storbeck of Knott's Berry Farm route and do a real Food Festival in either or both parks. But just for shopping and dining a la' Fashion Island or Irvine Spectrum? I think both Disneyland parks get maxed out on that not too far after they open everything on their park entry street complex.

But what amazes me is how us amateur fans in threads like this can always think outside the box and come up with fun and unique ideas to get Disneyland reopened, put CM's back to work, and get people onto the Anaheim property again. Much like the executive team at Knott's Berry Farm did back in 2020. And Sea World.

Meanwhile, in TDA, they take baby steps to minor goals and seem all tied up in very strong red tape. :rolleyes:

Mr. Potrock, please call your office...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You and 1.3 Million & Counting other Californians. 🧐
First, I don't think he cares that much. He has faced political opposition his entire career.

Second, they've had since March 2019 (basically since he got sworn in) to get valid signatures, 6 times and almost 2 years now. It has a slim chance of making the deadline of March 2021 this time, and even if it does, it has a slim chance of even passing and getting him recalled. In the history of our state, since 1911 a recall attempt has happened 55 times against a Governor (mostly Democrat Governors I should note), and only 1 has successfully recalled, Gray Davis.

I won't go too much further on this, as this isn't the place, but I will say I will be VERY surprised if it even makes it on the ballot in November. And if it does I'll personally be upset that I had to pay for it. That's right, every one of us in California has to PAY for that recall effort if it passes, even if you don't agree. On average that is $81M that is coming out of our pockets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom