Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

TP2000

Original Poster
I'm happy to criticize the pace of vaccine distribution and government policies, but your comments seem completely divorced from the current situation in Southern CA.

I'm totally in tune with SoCal. I just had a busy social holiday weekend in both OC and San Diego counties. I attended two parties. And then last night I ate indoors at my favorite sushi restaurant in San Diego, and tipped generously to help keep that small family business operating. I was happy to see them doing gangbuster business!

What's sad is that all the corporate restaurants have to stay closed because they have big legal departments that can be sued, while the smaller mom n' pop restaurants all get to be open for both indoor and outdoor dining. It's not really fair, since the employees of the corporate restaurants have bills to pay just like the employees of the non-corporate mom n' pop restaurants.

I feel fine, by the way.

For those keeping score at home; at the two different weekend parties I attended with lots of people, not a single person offered to buy my lovely home that is not for sale. Funny how that works, isn't it?!

I wonder if someone whose been keeping more up to date on things could help me out here (sorry, don’t feel like scrolling through all the new pages of this topic).

My wife and I were thinking about popping into Downtown Disney today for a short bit of shopping and to grab a to-go bite to eat, is this currently possible? I know food places are to-go only right now in CA, but does that mean the eateries in DTD are outright closed or do they still offer to-go? Anyone have any information about what is or isn’t available? I know my wife would kill for a churro right about now.

Also, are the shops on Buena Vista street still open or did that get shut down, too?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!

Yup. Downtown Disney and Buena Vista Street are all open and operating.

Because Downtown Disney and Buena Vista Street provides Critical Essential Infrastructure to SoCal; stuff like Vinylmation, 2021 branded Disneyland Resort spirit jerseys, novelty coffee mugs with Princess Tiana or Cinderella on them, or those new Spiderman robot toys that the kids and YouTubers go crazy for.

All of that merchandise is absolutely essential for human survival, so in the middle of this killer pandemic you are encouraged to leave your home during Governor Newsom's Stay-At-Home Order and drive to Downtown Disney for a fun afternoon out with a few thousand other shoppers so you can all touch the same merchandise and breath the same air and mix n' mingle a bit! It's a pandemic, go shopping!

This is exactly how an official government mandated Stay-At-Home Order works; you are actually encouraged to leave your home for non-essential shopping and decadent entertainment. But no churros!

Do not question it. It's all based on Science & Data. 🤣

Last edited:

mickEblu

By the Grace of God my 89 year old grandma beat COVID. She was sick at home for a couple weeks before she became very ill last week and was rushed to the hospital. By the time she had gotten to hospital she had already tested negative for COVID but she hadn’t been eating for a few weeks and was so weak she could hardly speak or hold her head up. My grandma has high blood pressure and Diabetes and was heading into a diabetic coma. Doctors said her sugar levels were off the charts when she got there. They had to give her meds to reverse the swelling in her brain. She was in the ICU for 5 days. Today she’s back home. Still very frail and kind of out of it but much better than a few days ago.

unmitigated disaster

I'm totally in tune with SoCal. I just had a busy social holiday weekend in both OC and San Diego counties. I attended two parties. And then last night I ate indoors at my favorite sushi restaurant in San Diego, and tipped generously to help keep that small family business operating. I was happy to see them doing gangbuster business!

What's sad is that all the corporate restaurants have to stay closed because they have big legal departments that can be sued, while the smaller mom n' pop restaurants all get to be open for both indoor and outdoor dining. It's not really fair, since the employees of the corporate restaurants have bills to pay just like the employees of the non-corporate mom n' pop restaurants.

I feel fine, by the way.

For those keeping score at home; at the two different weekend parties I attended with lots of people, not a single person offered to buy my lovely home that is not for sale. Funny how that works, isn't it?!

Yup. Downtown Disney and Buena Vista Street are all open and operating.

Because Downtown Disney and Buena Vista Street provides Critical Essential Infrastructure to SoCal; stuff like Vinylmation, 2021 branded Disneyland Resort spirit jerseys, novelty coffee mugs with Princess Tiana or Cinderella on them, or those new Spiderman robot toys that the kids and YouTubers go crazy for.

All of that merchandise is absolutely essential for human survival, so in the middle of this killer pandemic you are encouraged to leave your home during Governor Newsom's Stay-At-Home Order and drive to Downtown Disney for a fun afternoon out with a few thousand other shoppers so you can all touch the same merchandise and breath the same air and mix n' mingle a bit! It's a pandemic, go shopping!

This is exactly how an official government mandated Stay-At-Home Order works; you are actually encouraged to leave your home for non-essential shopping and decadent entertainment. But no churros!

Do not question it. It's all based on Science & Data. 🤣

Expecting consistency - or human compassion - in this is a bit much in the US, where we are rife with people who refuse to accept that they are not the center of the universe.

I am, however, rather surprised that a Disney board would be filled with people who would have opposed the eradication of smallpox because mah freedoms!

TP2000

Original Poster
I am, however, rather surprised that a Disney board would be filled with people who would have opposed the eradication of smallpox because mah freedoms!

I've gotten all my shots. TDaP, Pneumovax 23, Shingrix, Boostrix, and this year's Flucelvax. I love to get shots just to prove to the nurse how tough I am when I don't even flinch!

But I'll wait on the Covid vaccine. There are so many people that seem so panicky about it, and think they need to get it ASAP. So I'll let them be the guinea pig and get both shots. I'll check back this summer, most likely.

Darkbeer1

I've gotten all my shots. TDaP, Pneumovax 23, Shingrix, Boostrix, and this year's Flucelvax. I love to get shots just to prove to the nurse how tough I am when I don't even flinch!

But I'll wait on the Covid vaccine. There are so many people that seem so panicky about it, and think they need to get it ASAP. So I'll let them be the guinea pig and get both shots. I'll check back this summer, most likely.

My wife got the one shot Janssen/J&J vaccine (or a placebo) . It is about to be released.

el_super

I don't think it's that at all. I'd be willing to guess that most don't take issue with these requests out in the real world. It's been a matter of making bold statements that were proven wrong over and over again, and on a discussion board, that is everything. It was wrong to suggest when Shanghai closed, it could never happen here. It was wrong to downplay it as just the flu. It was wrong to assume it was only happening in nursing homes or that it only killed the weak and elderly. It was wrong to assume that Disneyland would reopen in May and no businesses in Anaheim would be lost. It was wrong to personally blame the governor for Disneyland being closed. It was wrong to assume that lack of guidance was the holdup and wrong to assume lawsuits were days from being filed. People posting have been proven wrong over and over for months now, and are still trying to salvage what little rep they have left.

We've progressed way beyond the point of trying to argue the merits of individual points of view, or which group's "science and data" is actually right. The hospitals are overwhelmed and Disneyland will be closed until they are not.

Little Green Men

By the Grace of God my 89 year old grandma beat COVID. She was sick at home for a couple weeks before she became very ill last week and was rushed to the hospital. By the time she had gotten to hospital she had already tested negative for COVID but she hadn’t been eating for a few weeks and was so weak she could hardly speak or hold her head up. My grandma has high blood pressure and Diabetes and was heading into a diabetic coma. Doctors said her sugar levels were off the charts when she got there. They had to give her meds to reverse the swelling in her brain. She was in the ICU for 5 days. Today she’s back home. Still very frail and kind of out of it but much better than a few days ago.
Very happy to hear she’s doing better!

Californian Elitist

Expecting consistency - or human compassion - in this is a bit much in the US, where we are rife with people who refuse to accept that they are not the center of the universe.

Many Disney fans are conservatives, based on what I’ve seen here and other places on the internet. It’s usually conservatives who are anti-masks, don’t want to shut down folks who scream about their so-called liberties being taken away.

What’s amazing is the misunderstanding of “freedoms and liberties” in this country, how many Americans don’t quite understand what the “Founding Fathers” meant by that. Seems some folks actually believe they can do whatever they want because we live in America. (not talking about anyone here).

Californian Elitist

God bless her! My grandma also beat the virus. It’s initially terrifying to hear when your elderly family member has it. I honestly thought my grandma was seeing her last days.

I’m praying your grandma continues to improve each day.

mickEblu

God bless her! My grandma also beat the virus. It’s initially terrifying to hear when your elderly family member has it. I honestly thought my grandma was seeing her last days.

I’m praying your grandma continues to improve each day.

Thank you!! God Bless your Grandma as well! It was scary as she’s so frail to begin with. Definitely wasn’t looking good for a couple days.

Thanks for the prayers and I’m very glad to hear about your grandma. 😍

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Happy to hear about your grandma.

DisneyDrum

I'm totally in tune with SoCal. I just had a busy social holiday weekend in both OC and San Diego counties. I attended two parties. And then last night I ate indoors at my favorite sushi restaurant in San Diego, and tipped generously to help keep that small family business operating. I was happy to see them doing gangbuster business.
This all seems so unnecessary. I love supporting my local sushi restaurant, but they do takeout. I’m perfectly happy enjoying sushi at home without adding additional risk to myself and the employees. Seems like the best way to support local businesses at this time.

George Lucas on a Bench

I've been saying that from the beginning. My job has me across the entirety of Socal and other parts of the state and I've seen different communities and how they're treating mask rules throughout the year etc...

In OC and other similar areas, people are overwhelmingly wearing their masks... though the chance 'middle aged white housewife who makes a scene at Starbucks and gets shared on social media' has become a poster child for anti-maskers and a platform for people to blame OC... man in areas like South Central, East LA, and South LA (the worst) it has almost been 50/50 on some of my visits of people wearing masks to not.

Also, while certainly a sligthly different topic, generally latino families are very family centric and share their households across multiple generations and take pride in huge family gatherings. Pretty much the exact opposite of what is recommended for interaction right now. I've had some discussion with my friends about this topic and they all agree, but whenever I try to talk about it online I get labeled a racist.

There are numerous factors to take into consideration, one of which is sheer population size. The concentration of Hispanics in California is easily the greatest in the nation, so the percentage of cases should come as no surprise. But I believe it goes much further than More People = More Cases.

Anyone who has ever lived in Southern California knows that Hispanic people are always around working...everywhere. They're working right now. They'll be working tonight. They'll be working tomorrow. They're always out. But they're not out like a Nonessential Caucasian Tesla-driving Work From Homer going to Target to shop for unnecessary crap like materialistic Reagan-era citizens. They're considered Essential.

So we have a huge Hispanic population and, if I were a betting man, I'd bet that the vast majority of Essential Workers in California fall into the Hispanic demographic. That's just using Simple Logic, as Spock would say. They're the ones that are mainly going out into the new Corona frontier and leading all other demographics in cases.

Now, we'll go one step further. Hispanics are known for Multi-Generational Households. It's something they have in common with Italians and this was considered a pivotal contributing factor to the virus spreading like California wildfire in Italy circa early 2020, at which point, many people became freaked out. The younger people brought the virus home, the grandparents became infected and many of them died.

I think we are seeing this very phenomenon occurring to this day in California. And unfortunately, it's Essential Workers, most of which I am logically assuming are Hispanic, contributing to the spread. It clearly isn't Nonessential shuttered businesses that are spreading the virus. Most of them are closed. It's Essential Workers. Huge numbers of LatinX, as the kids are saying these days.

No one seems to want to talk about this. I know all this logical deduction surely makes me a Right Wing Conspiracy Theorist. It seems we need to shut down all the Essential Work, or just give up and let this thing burn through the population.

DavidDL

Not sure if this information will help anyone but I wanted to share some bits from my trip to DTD last Saturday:

We got there around 2pm. On the way, my parents (whom we didn't even know where going to DTD too) told us that the wait to get in from the Simba lot side was an hour and a half long. Seriously people, enter through the Harbor Blvd side. Last I checked, Gardenwalk will charge you the same amount as Simba for parking and the short walk more than makes up for not having to wait in an absurd line to get in. We didn't go Gardenwalk, though. Instead we decided to pay the extra bit to park at the Anaheim hotel just across the street (25 would be the normal amount) but we got lucky. When I went inside to inquire about paying, they told me it was my lucky year because their system was slow to start and they just gave me a pass to park for free (score!).

Holiday merch was all 70% off, in addition to our annual pass discount. So we scored some really good deals there, for anyone interested in that kind of thing.

Regarding the food stalls/what was open; more than I expected and definitely more than was listed on the website. Both Trolley Treats and Marceline's was open, in addition to Black Tap, Wetzel's Pretzels, Salt n' Straw, Jazz Kitchen Express and all of the outdoor vending stalls (churros, hot dogs, etc.). Everything was to-go and we were informed we couldn't eat it on property. Even the churro my wife purchased came packaged in a to-go pouch just for the churro. Popcorn buckets were still being sold on Buena Vista street, but without the popcorn itself.

I did pretty good in terms of spending until I hit the Galaxy's Edge shop. I got FOMO'd real hard because I'm a sucker for Count Dooku's lightsaber design and they had his legacy hilt in stock. I was told that particular hilt was going "back to Batuu" after the holiday weekend and would not be available for purchase again until the parks re-opened. Arceus only knows when that is going to be so I did it. Additionally, they told me Mace Windu and one of the Ahsoka-style hilts were straight up being discontinued soon, so anyone interested in those characters; there ya go. Cal Kestis hilt due out in Fall 2021. Hopefully all that info helps some fellow Star Wars nut creeping around the forums.

That's about it. It was busy, but not overbearingly. There were lines for shops but they all moved very quickly. Nothing seemed to be out of stock or overly in-demand. Didn't see any folks without masks or anyone trying to sneak a bite, though I did see plenty of people with sealed up food items. Also saw a ton of what looked like management CMs standing guard at various points in DTD, surveying the crowds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom