Suit: Disney's "Pirates" Movie Pirated

TTATraveler

Original Poster
From WKMG.com

Suit: Disney's 'Pirates' Movie Pirated

Disney Spokesman Says Lawsuit Has No Merit

<text id="txt_posted">POSTED:</text> 4:51 pm EST January 31, 2005
<text id="txt_updated">UPDATED:</text> 5:34 pm EST January 31, 2005
<!--startindex-->ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Central Florida filmmaker is taking the Walt Disney World Co. to court claiming the company stole the idea for their blockbuster movie "Pirates of the Caribbean -- Curse of the Black Pearl," according to Local 6 News. <table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="10" width="200"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#244e8b"><table border="0" cellpadding="8" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#d9e3f2">
4148490.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>The "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie is supposedly based on the Disney theme park attraction. However, in a 386-page lawsuit, Royce Mathew claims he developed the idea for the movie."When I started seeing it, I literally had tears in my eyes because, as an independent artist working numerous jobs, my whole career was basically pirated," Mathew said.Mathew, an Altamonte Springs filmmaker who has worked on such projects as "Assault of the Killer Bimbos," says that 10 years ago he made a short film that resembled the Disney movie. <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="10" width="200"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#244e8b"><table border="0" cellpadding="8" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#d9e3f2">
4148567.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
"I have a supernatural story about pirates who are trying to return a treasure, not steal it," Matthew said.Mathew refused to show Local 6 News a copy of the movie, claiming it's part of his legal strategy.In a letter, a Disney attorney told Mathew that the company stands ready to investigate his claim that his rights were infringed. However, to investigate, Disney is also asking to see a copy of Mathew's movie.Mathew hopes his lawsuit will grab the attention of the movie's lead actor.In his lawsuit, Mathew seeks a cut of Disney's profits from all movie, DVD and merchandise sales.Mathew does not have an attorney, Local 6 News reported.A Disney spokesman said the lawsuit has no merit.Watch Local 6 News for more on this story. <!--stopindex-->
Copyright 2005 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and Local6.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Testtrack321

Interesting none the less, but even odder is the fact that the ride kinda had most of his ideas in it already, the only thing Disney stole was their travel to rid the curse idea. Oh well. I'm against that BS Epcot fraud, but I think Disney should pay this man, he created a public film awhile ago, he should get something for his idea, mabey some money and his film released on Disney DVD in a Pirates boxed set?

goofyfan13

This is starting to get out of hand. Something has to be done about these lawsuits. Hopefully this one gets thrown out just like some of the other ones. :mad:

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Testtrack321 said:
Interesting none the less, but even odder is the fact that the ride kinda had most of his ideas in it already, the only thing Disney stole was their travel to rid the curse idea. Oh well. I'm against that BS Epcot fraud, but I think Disney should pay this man, he created a public film awhile ago, he should get something for his idea, mabey some money and his film released on Disney DVD in a Pirates boxed set?

So no two similar ideas should ever be allowed to be released? Uhm, that kind of rules out Disney-MGM Studios, now doesn't it? Maybe Universal should sue Disney for stealing their idea.

Oh wait, nevermind, you're just wrong.

He won't win. He has to be able to prove that either Disney created the movie from his ideas and short film, or that he pitched the movie to Disney and the shot him down and then took the idea. Even if they did the latter, he has to prove that he had trademarked the idea before he showed it to them. Notice he doesn't have a lawyer. Means he has absolutely no shot of winning, because if he had a chance, he wouldn't have a problem finding a lawyer to take his case pro bono.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
goofyfan13 said:
This is starting to get out of hand. Something has to be done about these lawsuits. Hopefully this one gets thrown out just like some of the other ones. :mad:

Welcome to the US. Lawsuits like this are everywhere. Not just Disney. Look at the bunch of morons suing McDonalds for making them fat.

TTATraveler

Original Poster
I wonder why this man decided to wait all this time after the movie was released to claim Disney stole his idea?:rolleyes::( It really makes you wonder what REALLY motivates people. This whole suit sounds like bs to me and will probably be thrown out.

goofyfan13

Thrawn said:
Welcome to the US. Lawsuits like this are everywhere. Not just Disney. Look at the bunch of morons suing McDonalds for making them fat.

That's what I meant, I wasn't just refering to all of the lawsuits that Disney has been picking up, its all of the frivolous lawsuits that have been popping up. I did a paper on them a couple years ago and it's just sickening.

Slipknot

TTATraveler said:
I wonder why this man decided to wait all this time after the movie was released to claim Disney stole his idea?:rolleyes::( It really makes you wonder what REALLY motivates people.

You have to ask?? ------------>$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$<---------

TTATraveler

Original Poster
Static-X said:
You have to ask?? ------------>$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$<---------

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I know the almighty dollar makes people tick. I guess this guy has some financial troubles and thought it would be a good idea to sue Disney several years after they stole his idea. With a movie about "Killer Bimbos", it is clear to see the mindset of this guy.

Slipknot

TTATraveler said:
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I know the almighty dollar makes people tick. I guess this guy has some financial troubles and thought it would be a good idea to sue Disney several years after they stole his idea. With a movie about Bimbos, it is clear of the mindset of this guy.

Not to mention the guy looks like a bum. Albeit a clean looking bum.

TTATraveler

Original Poster
Static-X said:
Not to mention the guy looks like a bum. Albeit a clean looking bum.

Is it me, or if you look real quick at him he looks like Eric Idle? I wonder if he will sue him next for stealing his appearance?:rolleyes:

TheOneVader

Hmm, it doesn't show any sort of Pirate movie on IMDb. I guess it might not be on there, but what are the chances? I mean it's IMDb, they know everything... :lookaroun

DopeyJas2004

To be honest, they could have stolen his movie and just released it into theaters but he'd still have no recourse in fact disney could sue him! The truth is that Pirates is a DISNEY COPYRIGHTED. So to be honest wouldn't that guy be commiting copyright infringement.

Just my opinion but I really am geting sick of these rediculous lawsuits with no purpose other than to waste money and time.

Night_Aaron

TTATraveler said:
I wonder why this man decided to wait all this time after the movie was released to claim Disney stole his idea?

Well it takes a long time to create maps, pictures and movies for this lie.

Ashitaka

As Thrawn pointed out, the guy couldn't even get a lawyer to sign on to the case it is so worthless.

But I think he already has gotten what he really was looking for: a couple of minutes of being in the news to make himself feel important. I mean, clearly someone who made a movie called Assault of the Killer Bimbos has some insecurity issues.

What's really amazing is that any news organization bothered to report this as a story. Aren't there are many more important things going on in the world that need reporting on?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom