Suit: Disney Fired Woman Who Wore Hijab

WDW John

Plus, she said "There is a family here that is almost out on the street because of Disney."

First, I think this is stetching the truth a little. As I stated earlier, she quit, she wasn't fired (entirely). If her family is almost out on the street it would be because she decided not to keep her job.

Second, she quit almost 2 years ago. Wouldn't she have another job lined up? I know I would. If not was she foolish enough to quit a job that paid her and helped to support her family? If that's the case, again, I can only blame her.

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
Please try to explain things in a nicer way...there is no reason to say someone has issues when they are just stating what they feel.

Thanks

Thanks for stating what I was thinking because this is why we get separate threads talking about the rudeness on this board. :rolleyes: Anyway....

When I first read the title of the thread I was like oh boy when will Disney catch a break? I read the article and ALMOST (read: almost :lol: ) took this lady's side. However, after reading that she voluntarily started using the scarf after being there like 5 years, then I went right back to defending Disney. I can see this as a woman trying to get a quick buck out of disney. Nonetheless, I definitely think we should wait and see what comes out of this, if anything.

Just my 2 cents :)

barnum42

Originally posted by edwardtc
If Mel Gibson (a Catholic) were hired to play the part of a Jewish man in a movie, you can guarantee that they're not going to let him wear a gold cross & chain around his neck - it would be a Star of David, and maybe other Jewish apparel - period.
Thanks - you saved me trouble of coming up with a similar scenario to demonstrate my opinion.

Or to put it more succinctly – “What he said!”

wdw100

First I would like to say that I don't mean to be rude, but....

“She said her faith grew during that time”, that’s convenient and now she’s suing. I’m sorry but I feel this is another pay up and I will go away thing.

Dayma

I see where you all are coming from but isn't this a free country? Don't we have the freedom to be any religion we choose to be?

Yes this is a free country but this is a private company. She knew the rules going in....

Also Disney is not stopping her from practicing anything. They are saying that while we PAY you, you are going to wear what we tell you to wear. This happens everywhere..

MKBurn15

Originally posted by ArchiDanDisney
Halarious....trying to boost your post numbers?
No. I happen to like talking here without bringing people down every five seconds. Mr. Negative Nancy. I think we should forget this and get back on the topic.

Originally posted by MKBurn15
No. I happen to like talking here without bringing people down every five seconds. Mr. Negative Nancy. I think we should forget this and get back on the topic.

No one is being negative, just watch what you say, you never know who you might offend.

BrerPete

What I'm getting tired of in all things like this case is no one seems concerned about anyone else. I go to Disney World for a vacation. I really don't care about anyone's religious or cultural beliefs when I'm there. I'm glad she has religion but there's a time and place for things. I don't go to the World to hear or recognize any one person's individual ideals, philosophies, doctrines, etc. I go for the escape from reality, for the fantasy that Walt created. Disney is and never should be an arena for any debate such as this.

Terp02

I'm pretty neutral on this topic, but I would just like to make a point/ask a question:

Is Disney an Equal Opportunity Employer? If they are, then I would have to assume that they would have to accomodate for different people's religious beliefs, e.g. giving people days off on major holidays, having acceptable food at the commissary, etc.
I mean, I really don't know the whole deal with what an EOE has to allow for, but I'm pretty sure they have to accomodate for any type of person.

But then again, they do "cast" people for "roles".....

Yet I don't think wearing a head scarf, or a kippa, or any other type of religious garb would ruin my Disney experience. I mean, Disney is trying to portray itself as a worldwide company, encompassing every type of person, so why not allow them to wear a head garment. Would it really kill the Disney experience? I would hope not.

But then again I don't understand why they don't allow facial hair.....:rolleyes:

Or have a multireligous holiday celebration........

MKBurn15

Originally posted by ArchiDanDisney
Its about the show quality, something WALT believed in about the presentation of the cast member. It's simply a disney tradition.
Didn't he have a mustache?:lol:
Oh right. Now I recall that some people believe that when you shave your facial hair, your outlook seems cleaner.

Well no one ever said, a mustache wasn't included in the disney look guidelines. All other facial hair is. Sideburns no longer than your ear and well kept. Disney does not want its cast members looking slovenly and unkept.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Terp02
I'm pretty neutral on this topic, but I would just like to make a point/ask a question:

Is Disney an Equal Opportunity Employer? If they are, then I would have to assume that they would have to accomodate for different people's religious beliefs, e.g. giving people days off on major holidays, having acceptable food at the commissary, etc.
I mean, I really don't know the whole deal with what an EOE has to allow for, but I'm pretty sure they have to accomodate for any type of person.

But then again, they do "cast" people for "roles".....

Yet I don't think wearing a head scarf, or a kippa, or any other type of religious garb would ruin my Disney experience. I mean, Disney is trying to portray itself as a worldwide company, encompassing every type of person, so why not allow them to wear a head garment. Would it really kill the Disney experience? I would hope not.

But then again I don't understand why they don't allow facial hair.....:rolleyes:

Or have a multireligous holiday celebration........

Again...they offered her another job where she would be able to practice her beliefs. She refused the new job. Disney is allowed to make guidelines for what you can wear. They told her that if she wanted to wear the scarf she would need to switch position.

There is a saying...You can't have your cake and eat it too. She wanted her job but with her rules, and unfortunately you can't have everything you want. Disney was nice enough to offer her another role elsewhere and she refused it. I just can't side with her for that.

maxime29

Premium Member
Original Poster
Unfortunately, I think this will end with Disney giving the woman a settlement. Pretty sad that it may come to that.

MKBurn15

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
There is a saying...You can't have your cake and eat it too. She wanted her job but with her rules, and unfortunately you can't have everything you want. Disney was nice enough to offer her another role elsewhere and she refused it. I just can't side with her for that.
I had cake at my birthday party and I ate it too!:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom