Studios Finger Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pongo

Original Poster
I don't know if it's been posted yet, but MGM is no longer using the "peace-sign" finger scanners. They now have the one-finger system like MK.

Epcot and AK have yet to acquire them, though.

metscool

Yes finally. It is about time for another park to get one of those things. I hate the two finger thing. I always have problems with it.

Chape19714

Glad to hear it. I know it's working well and shaving some time off the long enterance lines. I'm sure they're not far behind at AK and Epcot. I'd think AK would be first, as it has some big line problems at front gate with Everest now open.

Pongo

Original Poster
Coming from a person who had the "peace-sign" system mastered, I don't really see a difference in the amount of time it takes me to get through the ticket taking process.

But I guess it does cut down the time for those who get confused.

goofyfan13

Coming from a person who had the "peace-sign" system mastered, I don't really see a difference in the amount of time it takes me to get through the ticket taking process.

But I guess it does cut down the time for those who get confused.

Yea, I'm the same way. I do however love the new system, I don't know how many times I've gotten stuck behind someone who takes 2 minutes to figure out the "peace-sign" system. I mean, it's not rocket science...:brick:

metscool

I believe that the new finger scanners will let us go on more rides and less time going though the turnstiles.

nyy102

I personally preferred the "peace sign" scanners. Most of the cast members I saw just asked the person to insert their hand and then gently took that person's hand and quickly corrected it, which was more often than not just moving their hand further in. The one finger scanners, on the other hand, may be easier, but I saw just as many people having problems, and their problems were not as easily correctable. The worst display of this is at Universal, which shows what happens when the scanners are truly broken in, and those did not work for anyone, ever. At most, 1 out of every 100 people got the finger scanner to work the first time, and 1 out of the each remaining 30 or so would get it to work on any subsequent try. Those things were disastrous, and I fear that the same would happen to Disney parks.

Coastieboy00

Cast members are not allowed to touch a guest ever. Only exception is being life or death. From personal experence, the new scanners are more accurate and faster than the old ones. Have yet to see people have major issues.

MickeyTigg

I don't know if it's been posted yet, but MGM is no longer using the "peace-sign" finger scanners. They now have the one-finger system like MK.

Epcot and AK have yet to acquire them, though.

It's about time....the MK scanners are slick.

:sohappy:

The Mom

Premium Member
Are the single finger ones still affected by changes in your finger configuration? I know when I was having an arthritis flare-up I would have trouble, because my knuckles would be swollen, so my fingers had a different shape than the one on record (AP). It was also harder to get them into the correct position.

Chape19714

Are the single finger ones still affected by changes in your finger configuration? I know when I was having an arthritis flare-up I would have trouble, because my knuckles would be swollen, so my fingers had a different shape than the one on record (AP). It was also harder to get them into the correct position.
I would imagine so. They are can be pretty sentisive. There is probally some leeway Disney allowes, but not much (in other words the sensitity of the scanners probally won't be turned up all the way.)

As for longevity, Disney has tested that too, I'm sure they'll last a long time in working order, and if not, they'll replace them.

Punkss

I have always wondered what they are for...is it to tie your fingerprint to the ticket or pass? Or is a lottery scheme for seeing who will be able to fire the rocket under the castle?

CrashNet

I have always wondered what they are for...is it to tie your fingerprint to the ticket or pass? Or is a lottery scheme for seeing who will be able to fire the rocket under the castle?
Thats right. Since the majority of tickets that are sold these days are park hoppers, the biometric scanners link your ticket to you. This prevents a guest from scanning the ticket, handing it to a friend, and then that friend go to a different park and use the same ticket. Sounds radical I know, but you'd be amazed what people will try.

ears2you

i never had a problem with the two finger thing either but when all the passes switched to using them too, it created much longer lines because people couldnt figure out how to use them.

ears2you

Thats right. Since the majority of tickets that are sold these days are park hoppers, the biometric scanners link your ticket to you. This prevents a guest from scanning the ticket, handing it to a friend, and then that friend go to a different park and use the same ticket. Sounds radical I know, but you'd be amazed what people will try.

I heard that people would enter the park, leave, then enter again with a different pass so they could get two fastpasses at once. Evil, but smart.

RWilliams

Premium Member
Be careful if you have an AP, its not possible to switch between the two types of finger scanners. I had big problems at the Magic Kingdom when I switched from the two finger method to the single finger scanner. After I switched I couldn't get into the MK at all and had to have my pass reissued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom