Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

Goofyernmost

While I agree with most of what you're saying, I do want to point out that that photo seems to be slightly outdated. I could be totally wrong, but I think the "parking lot" in that photo is actually used by LMA now for training/storage etc. Still a lot of other things that could be demo'd, but if LMA stays then I think that lot has to either stay or be relocated.
I think you are correct about the training and storage where the parking lot was/is. I'm still not certain if LMA is staying. I think it will stay right now, because, really, what else is there to do at that park. However, that doesn't mean that it cannot move the training to the area just to the right of LMA and open that up for a big block of another land, so to speak.

The only reason why I waver on the LMA life span is that on one hand it's less then 10 years old now and it cost a lot of money to establish, but, on the other hand, it is a very expensive attraction to operate. Just the CM staffing alone is staggering and the vehicle upkeep is pretty huge as well. I don't see a long future for it either way.

PhotoDave219

I think you are correct about the training and storage where the parking lot was/is. I'm still not certain if LMA is staying. I think it will stay right now, because, really, what else is there to do at that park. However, that doesn't mean that it cannot move the training to the area just to the right of LMA and open that up for a big block of another land, so to speak.

The only reason why I waver on the LMA life span is that on one hand it's less then 10 years old now and it cost a lot of money to establish, but, on the other hand, it is a very expensive attraction to operate. Just the CM staffing alone is staggering and the vehicle upkeep is pretty huge as well. I don't see a long future for it either way.

Totally agree, I cant see it being long for this world.

PhotoDave219

You are setting yourself up for major disappointment if you think this project will be significantly bigger than FLE. I don't have any idea what they are going to build, but I can almost guarantee it will cost significantly less than FLE unless they are really dumping the Star Wars plans and going with this instead. I hope that's not the case. My guess is this will be an addition to add capacity and help round out the park in anticipation of building Star Wars Land.

Now if we can get everyone to grasp that concept.

aladdin2007

I wouldn't mind if they added RSR. Carsland was packed when I was in DL in June. It was insanely popular with 120+ wait times. The theming of the area is top notch.

If we did get it it would probably be a smaller and value engineered version. not exactly top notch like theirs. I bet they would cut all those great inside show scenes.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wouldn't mind if they added RSR. Carsland was packed when I was in DL in June. It was insanely popular with 120+ wait times. The theming of the area is top notch.

In the older Thread from when Carsland was potentially being cloned at DHS there seemed to be some speculation that the ground was not suitable for that much large rock work and there were some questions about having the outside portion of the ride which would have to shut down in the rain. The alternative rumor was that they would build a scaled down Cars dark ride and Maters Junkyard Jamboree in Florida. That rumor died a while back, but it's possible it's back on the table now.

FutureCEO

to recap the major rides/show in MGM now is:

Toy Story Mania
Tower of Terror
Aerosmith
Beast
Indy
Star Tours
Muppets
Great Movie

out of that list, the shows/rides that need updating are the Muppet and the Great Movie.
....the shows the need to go are Indy and Beast, while good shows. They been there FOREVER.
....Lights, Motour, Action...saw it once which was enough for me

if you don't have kids, you don't go to Honey I Shrunk the Kids and animation courtyard except possibly the main building.

As regards to Toy Story Playland, a playland shouldn't take up acres and acres of space.

As regards to something coming into the area, nobody has a clue except Disney which you probably won't see anything new except Frozen for a few years. Star Wars is going into the other side of the park so its not that.

If something is announced this year or next year, you probably will not see anything major until 2018, based on the New Fairyland schedule.

I don't want Cars Land....no Test Track 2

Last edited:

aladdin2007

In the older Thread from when Carsland was potentially being cloned at DHS there seemed to be some speculation that the ground was not suitable for that much large rock work and there were some questions about having the outside portion of the ride which would have to shut down in the rain. The alternative rumor was that they would build a scaled down Cars dark ride and Maters Junkyard Jamboree in Florida. That rumor died a while back, but it's possible it's back on the table now.

true, I forgot about the weather issue. the rumor at that time was also that there would be no rock work as such just painted flats.

FerretAfros

Maybe they could just add some "hurdles" this year. You have to jump over the piles of construction waste. Spice the race up;)

Based on this, if they don't file something to change the race route then we know construction won't start in 2014. Not a good sign for a "quick" turnaround.
Just because there are races going on doesn't meant that they couldn't start construction and just avoid those areas. Here are the upcoming course maps:

Tower of Terror 10-Miler, October 4
2013ToTFinish.jpg

Wine & Dine Half Marathon, November 8
2013WineDineDHSMap.jpg

In a very curious turn of events, the 2014 marathon course map (aka this past year) showed a different route than the one taken. As in previous years, the 2014 course used the park entrance and exits shown here, but then went through the costuming tunnel, along the loading area, and on to Streets of America.

2014HollywoodStudiosdetail.jpg

The USATF certification was updated for the 2014 course (which also had tweaks in DAK, which I'm now realizing was to avoid the yet-to-begin Mombasa Marketplace construction), but there really wasn't enough detail to tell what was going on in this area. The text description of the Mile 23 marker location sounds more like it's on the tram loading platform, but it's somewhat unclear

If this altered course is used, it's entirely possible that construction could begin before the end of 2014. The Wine & Dine (November) map that they released for this year still says 2013 in the logo, so I suppose it's possible that could change too, but it seems unlikely since they would have so much mileage to make up (though it's nothing an out-and-back on Osceola Pkwy wouldn't solve)

I've tried using course maps in the past to try and read the tea leaves about what construction will be going on (DCA circa 2011 was fun!) to varying degrees of success. There's plenty to speculate about, but I'm not sure how much credence I'd give it

I like how I'm seeing a lot of negativity over this, while let's say two days ago, we were all waiting for this dry, poor excuse of an attraction to close down.

I considered this attraction to be closed ever since LMA came in and they completely demo'ed Res. Street.

This is Disney's chance to finally put Potter in its place (if they do end up building a Star Wars Land).

Milla4Prez66

I like how I'm seeing a lot of negativity over this, while let's say two days ago, we were all waiting for this dry, poor excuse of an attraction to close down.

I considered this attraction to be closed ever since LMA came in and they completely demo'ed Res. Street.

This is Disney's chance to finally put Potter in its place (if they do end up building a Star Wars Land).

No way this move is geared towards Star Wars, it's too far away from Star Tours and would eat up way too much land. This is likely a mini Pixar expansion with more small family rides to help prepare the park for the Star Wars expansion. Which I still think will end up being more of a Lucasland with Indiana Jones staying around.

Goofyernmost

I don't think Star Wars will put anyone "in their place". There are Star Wars fans and there are Harry Potter fans and then a combination of the two. Personally, I am not a fan, per se of either, but, if the attractions are done well, I don't have to be. I just have to be entertained by them. My guess is that there are more of "us" then there are of "them".

Disney doesn't have to exceed Uni, they only have to build stuff that will keep people onsite and not wondering up the road to Universal. A big investment in what is now DHS, will keep people on Disney property for an extra day and not heading up north.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Indy still regularly packs the house even on slow days so aside from labor or maintenance cost there is no need to replace it. Additionally the facility is used often for private events which are highly profitable so I agree it's not going away any time soon.
Spitballing here, but couldn't it easily be swapped out (almost directly) for a Star Wars Stunt Show? Change Indy to Luke, an Xwing for the plane, and have Chewie and R2 walk on and you are done. Still can have events, still have the space with little cost.

Figments Friend

About time this was finally shuttered....it is long past it*s originally intended purpose.
Enjoyed it quite a bit back in the day in those first few years after the Park first opened, when it was a actual real functioning Studio.

Over the years the Backlot Tour has been chipped away ...but there were still bits that were interesting to see.
Last time i experienced the Attraction it was a disappointing shell of it*s former days, but Walt*s airplane was still great to see in person.
I do hope that will be moved to a better location now where it will be more visible.
Perhaps place it on the old airstrip over near MK...

The board is set ....and the pieces are moving.

I would not expect to see anything major going here....just a *quick fix*.
I can totally believe the TS Playland-like rumors.
DHS own version of *Dino-Rama*....yeah...i can see placement there.
As much as fans would love to see something major, from my perspective i see something coming on a much smaller scale.
Might still be charming...and fit the areas theme....and would likely be a welcome addition to typical casual Guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom