Struggling to decide on ECV

Missing_Aria

Okay so my girlfriend and I are planning a December trip to WDW, tickets & hotel room are booked and everything (even got the free dining plan deal YAY!) but this year I've been dealing with a new friend... My cane. The cane is something I've been struggling with both literally and emotionally because I'm 32, still get along fairly quickly most days while using my cane, and I don't have anything visibly wrong with me.

I'm a former Air Force medic who served in Afghanistan doing convoys with the Army (101st cause who the heck hasn't at this point?) and before anyone goes thinking I got shot or blown up or something let me tell you my deployment was luckily largely uneventful. It was interesting and I got to experience a lot but, with the exception of one major incident in which I was completely unharmed, it was fine. However, my right side of my hip turns in and I've 'walked funny' my whole life with occasional problems here and there. It was never too bad unless I was tired or hurting for some reason though so I was able to join the service and start doing real damage to that hip and leg. The doctors don't really know what happened, if it was even just one thing, or what exactly is wrong. Right now they just assume moderate to high wear and tear on something that wasn't particularly strong to begin with. Lots of tests and imaging haven't really given us more than that. All we really know is that my right leg and hip are weak and frequently experience pain and locking up when faced with high levels or long periods of physical activity. All the running and walking I used to do? Nope, can't even walk a block without my cane without being in tears from the stabbing pain.

Problem is that, as a former military medic, I have a hard time thinking of that above paragraph as a good enough reason to have an ECV. I've never even used one in a mall or store. I've used a manual wheelchair once in IKEA and, while it definitely helped, I felt insanely stupid. The whole time I'm just sitting there thinking 'I can walk, what the hell am I doing? I need to stop being a baby!' It didn't help when an older couple (maybe 70?) who were clearly in excellent shape mobility wise started making snide comments about me being in a chair while in the elevator. Stage whispers of "young people these days are just so lazy" as they cut me off to get onto the elevator were followed by venomous glares the whole ride. Of course a huge part of my brain agreed with them, I really felt like I was just being lazy (even though it's harder to push a wheelchair that's far to big for you with your arms than it is just to walk if you're healthy). Mentally I couldn't reason with myself that I did need it, that it did help, that the fact that I didn't wake up screaming in agony the following night was an excellent indicator of just how much the chair actually helped, all that mattered was that I felt like a giant fake because I CAN walk. Logically I'm aware that line of thought is idiotic, but subconsciously these thoughts rule my mind, even when I'm just using my cane.

I definitely feel bad about the cane on a daily basis because I live in New York, and it's a daily thing where I'm too scared to ask for the seat I need on a subway or bus. I get trash talked or intentionally knocked around multiple times a week by people trying to prove some sort of point or something I guess. I have no problem with, and frequently end up, asking people to give up their seats for other disabled/elderly/pregnant persons but if someone offers me a seat I'm too embarrassed/ashamed to properly thank them half the time. I have bad anxiety & PTSD because of the military and all of it centers around social conflict and social interactions in general so, even when I can put on a tough front, I'm usually shaking when someone decides to be an about my use of a cane.

Which brings me to Disney World. Everything I've read online says that if you need a cane in your day to day life you really should rent a wheelchair or ECV. I don't want to put my girlfriend out by needing frequent breaks or needing to head back to the resort early. I also definitely don't want to wake up screaming due to extreme leg cramps because I pushed myself too hard for too long. But I also don't want to deal with some jerk making snide comments and making my anxiety flare up, or maybe having to deal with someone actually confronting me directly and causing me to shut down completely since I won't be bringing my ESA with me (because honestly I shouldn't need her for a week long trip and I hate people who abuse the ESA/Service Animal laws with a burning passion). I've seen a LOT of websites, forum threads, and reddits complaining about anyone in an ECV and I'm legitimately terrified that I'll run into someone who just wants to hate me for being on one if I choose to go that route. So I'm not sure what I should do.

Sorry I know this was really long. Basically I'm looking for some first hand accounts of people like me who are young adults who look healthy and use/have used ECVs at Disney World. What was it like? Do you have any tips? Should I just tough it out and plan out a bunch of breaks or get one of those canes with a chair built in (even though they're useless to walk with)? I've been thinking about this since I booked the trip in January and I'm honestly no closer to a decision.

Smiley/OCD

OK, my 2 cents...I'm 53, have MS, and can walk short distances with a cane, so I don't look like the typical ECV user...I would ABSOLUTELY recommend renting an ECV!!! Rent one from one of the outside companies instead of the WDW scooters for several reasons. First the WDW scooters can't be taken out of the parks. They are also larger than the outside ones. DO NOT Worry about looks or comments. If you overhear a snide comment, just do what I do, tell them that I have MS, my meds now cost over 8K/month and there's no cure (yet). Offer to change places with them...that usually shuts them up with a LOT of embarrasment. I, too feel guilty because they see me get off and walk into the queue. I park the ECV outside the attraction, and walk in/on the line with my cane. I also feel guilty about taking 2 seat spaces on the bus. That is why I always insist on staying on the ECV on the bus and they can belt me in, this way I don't use a third seat. There will be people who you will see with ECV's that SHOULD get off it and walk (if you know what I mean)...don't feel guilty, get the ECV so YOU have a great time, and THANKS for your service!

Upvote 0

lazyboy97o

My main concern is the lines, standing for even 30 minutes with minimal moving would be hell. Granted when we went on our last trip (Which was at the end of Sept) we only had to do that a handful of times (thank you Fast Pass) but I guess I was already starting to have issues because even back then it was rough and I seriously wanted to sit on the ground in line.
Go to Guest Services and ask about assistance. You can utilize the Disability Access Service to avoid standing in queues.

Having an ECV will in no way affect your room assignment. And all resorts, including ALL the rooms, are ECV and wheelchair accessible. Do not let this affect your resort choice. Even the specially designed Handicapped Accessible rooms are availablle in each room category. And don't worry about being reassigned to a less desirable room. You will get the room you paid for. I don't know why you think navigating POR or any other resort would be problematic with an ECV. It's not. Why do you think CBR is better than POFQ because your niece may be coming with you? Is it because of the Murphy bed?
Only certain rooms are fully wheelchair accessible. Standard bathrooms in particular will not meet all of the dimensional criteria for accessibility, but this is not much of an issue for someone who is able to move independently within the room.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Go to Guest Services and ask about assistance. You can utilize the Disability Access Service to avoid standing in queues.

I'm really on the fence about doing this myself. Standing in place is what really sets my back off... as long as I'm moving I generally have far greater endurance. I just really hate the idea of having to go through this DAS approach at park opening. I really only should need it for long waits and if I'm already behind the curve.. but at the same time don't want to get to the point where I'm past the point of no return and the back puts me down.

Upvote 0

lazyboy97o

I'm really on the fence about doing this myself. Standing in place is what really sets my back off... as long as I'm moving I generally have far greater endurance. I just really hate the idea of having to go through this DAS approach at park opening. I really only should need it for long waits and if I'm already behind the curve.. but at the same time don't want to get to the point where I'm past the point of no return and the back puts me down.
I’m not sure how you would get behind. The service links into My Disney Experience so you only have to go to Guest Services on the first day of your visit. After you are set up you then have the option to utilize the service at your discretion and you are still free to use FastPass+.

Upvote 0

UncleMike101

I'm in a similar situation.
I can identify with the OP's feelings on this matter because I've always been the "helper and protector" and not the one in need of help.
However, last year I came down with Severe Sepsis and after several months of painful and debilitating recovery I was left with nerve and joint damage on my left side which nessitates using a cane any time I will be walking more than a few dozen feet.
I'd rather not have to rely on a vehicle in the parks but I'm not sure if my cane will be enough to get me around.
My plan for now is to try a day without an ECV and determine from that experience if I'm going to be able to do an entire week that way.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’m not sure how you would get behind.

Meaning.. I would only need it if my back is already inflamed/stressed. I would only need it once I'm "behind" in managing my back. In most situations I can regulate it myself by adapting my behavior or simply cutting an activity off/short if things are getting bad. At the parks, that would mean putting a halt to things and finding a bench (which in itself is a PITA depending on where you are...) or staying out of the longer queues. I would just hate to have to put the vacation on hold after all that money in.

I'm leaning towards taking the plunge and then that way I have it in case its needed.. It's been 6 years since my last surgery, but I never have escaped fully from the limitations. They are just more manageable :)

Upvote 0

Missing_Aria

Original Poster

Yeah I really don't want to go that route and from what I've read I'm really not supposed to for my mobility issues. Disney's policy seems to be 'if you can be in in a wheelchair that should mean you don't need the special pass' and for my mobility issues I agree, if I'm in a ECV or chair then lines shouldn't be a problem. The issues I COULD qualify with are the PTSD and anxiety but the situations in which they'll flare up aren't likely to occur in lines (again the triggers are usually social or for the PTSD feels of failure) and possibly not in Disney at all. Also I kind of like the lines. I honestly feel like the thematic design in the line of each ride is half the ride and its not really something I want to miss even if I've seen it before.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about someone harassing me if I'm in an ECV or my girlfriend due to her being transgender while we're in line and then being unable to escape said line because of the ECV (I mentioned paranoia right?). Most of my concerns are for things that I'm very much well aware of being the most slim of possibilities... but I had to survive for a time by planning for the worst of the worst and I've lived through the things I thought were 'crazy thinking that would never happen' coming/being true. So even if I do get an ECV I'll probably go the route of leaving it outside the rides just so I don't end up feeling trapped in the lines.

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

Missing_Aria, you are correct about the DAS. Guests with mobility related difficulties are typically denied the DAS and are recommended to use a wheelchair or ECV. By all means try parking and walking the lines when you feel up to it. But most lines are ECV accessible. There are only a few attractions now that require you to use an alternate entrance. Most of these are at MK, but there are at least one at each of the parks. The online Guests With Disabilities Guide spells these out.

As for your anxieties, at least you have identified your specific fears. Perhaps you can work on ways to cope with them before you go. Do you have professional services that you are using to help you with your PTSD? Maybe you can discuss this with them. And have you also discussed them with your girlfriend? If she is aware, she may be of help once you are there. She'll have your back.

I'm in a similar situation.
I can identify with the OP's feelings on this matter because I've always been the "helper and protector" and not the one in need of help.
However, last year I came down with Severe Sepsis and after several months of painful and debilitating recovery I was left with nerve and joint damage on my left side which nessitates using a cane any time I will be walking more than a few dozen feet.
I'd rather not have to rely on a vehicle in the parks but I'm not sure if my cane will be enough to get me around.
My plan for now is to try a day without an ECV and determine from that experience if I'm going to be able to do an entire week that way.

Uncle Mike, I can empathize with your feelings. I felt the same way, the first time I had to use a wheelchair. Lots of people feel like they're "giving in" to their disability; surrendering at least a bit of their independence, or fearing that they will be perceived as "less than" to others. My DH finally pointed out that I was letting my pride get in the way, and that getting an assistive device would actually enhance our stay, not just for me, but for the whole family. But the thing that really put things into perspective (and I mentioned this in another post) was a post on a different site that deals with disabilities in the parks. A chair or an ECV should not define who you are. There are thousands of people who manage on their own in their daily life. But touring the parks requires physical demands far above those at home. Assistive devices are merely a tool that you can use, no different than a cane, a pair of eyeglasses, or a hearing aid. By all means try a day with just your cane. But if you need that ECV, please get one.

Upvote 0

Missing_Aria

Original Poster
Missing_Aria, you are correct about the DAS. Guests with mobility related difficulties are typically denied the DAS and are recommended to use a wheelchair or ECV. By all means try parking and walking the lines when you feel up to it. But most lines are ECV accessible. There are only a few attractions now that require you to use an alternate entrance. Most of these are at MK, but there are at least one at each of the parks. The online Guests With Disabilities Guide spells these out.

As for your anxieties, at least you have identified your specific fears. Perhaps you can work on ways to cope with them before you go. Do you have professional services that you are using to help you with your PTSD? Maybe you can discuss this with them. And have you also discussed them with your girlfriend? If she is aware, she may be of help once you are there. She'll have your back.

Yeah my mention of feeling trapped in a line is more to do with the fact that I've been in enough of them to know that if I take an ECV in there won't be enough room to leave the line if there's anyone behind me.

But yeah, I have things that work for my anxiety. There's this app I use with fish and soothing music that I have on my phone, so I just pop my headphones in and use that. It usually grounds me even once I've started to go all numb and tingly. I've been using it ever since I first got back from my deployment so it's had time to sink in as an effective tool.

Side note: If anyone wants to know for their own use, it's called Sakura Goldfishing and I use the zen mode. You can either tap/swirl the water in that mode or 'feed' the fish. I use the water swirling because watching the water swirl is soothing. It was free when I got it but it looks like they charge for it now, but the price isn't bad.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

Be careful with assuming you can get this if mobility devices will fix the issue. If there is an issue with stamina, circulation, mental/emotional problems, or other health issues that being stuck in a line not able to move around and get out then the DAS is offered. I had quite a fight to get it my first time because the person assumed a wheelchair would fix the issue for me (when in fact it would make it worse). If a wheel chair or ECV will fix it easily they don't like to hand it out, and honestly rightfully so.

Now to the OP. My aunt was born with CP and we had to push her to get an ECV. It was a godsend to her to have it. It really was. She was not young either, but walking on bad ankles, knees and such just wasn't good for her. She eventually had both knees replaced and now is wheelchair bound, but those years using an ECV were important. It also brought her to realizing that at home she needed a mobility device and got one for her home use as well.

Age has nothing to do with disabilities. I'm 41 and have spinal deformities that make standing or sitting in poorly ergonomic positions really painful. It pinches nerves and I lose feeling in my hand as well as feet. It also causes tightness in the muscles of my back which causes me to breathe shallowly and in turn create an anxious situation since I feel I am unable to breathe. Then it all plays off of each other and gets me in an emotionally bad way. So I do get the DAS for my emotional issues caused by physical issues. I'm sure some think it's not necessary for me, but really there is no answer that works. Wheelchairs create a curvature that causes so much pain and leaning forward using an ECV does the same. I'm told to move to feel better or lay in an ergonomic way so there is no pressure on my body. My point is if you need it, do it. You will not regret it. I am blessed to be able to walk and walk well. I tend to walk fast as it feels better to do so, but I am now no longer too proud to use what is out there to help me. You will have a much better time using something that will help!

Yeah I really don't want to go that route and from what I've read I'm really not supposed to for my mobility issues. Disney's policy seems to be 'if you can be in in a wheelchair that should mean you don't need the special pass' and for my mobility issues I agree, if I'm in a ECV or chair then lines shouldn't be a problem. The issues I COULD qualify with are the PTSD and anxiety but the situations in which they'll flare up aren't likely to occur in lines (again the triggers are usually social or for the PTSD feels of failure) and possibly not in Disney at all. Also I kind of like the lines. I honestly feel like the thematic design in the line of each ride is half the ride and its not really something I want to miss even if I've seen it before.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about someone harassing me if I'm in an ECV or my girlfriend due to her being transgender while we're in line and then being unable to escape said line because of the ECV (I mentioned paranoia right?). Most of my concerns are for things that I'm very much well aware of being the most slim of possibilities... but I had to survive for a time by planning for the worst of the worst and I've lived through the things I thought were 'crazy thinking that would never happen' coming/being true. So even if I do get an ECV I'll probably go the route of leaving it outside the rides just so I don't end up feeling trapped in the lines.

I just saw this - I was just there for gay days, and try not to worry about that aspect. I might have seen a look or two given to massive groups but as a whole I do not think that part would be an issue.

Also with an ECV you often do get a return time if the line is not easily accessible to ECVs. So you may not be stuck in a regular ride line. Talk to the CMs when you get to the line and see what the options are. Try to use FP+ as much as possible. If you worry about PTSD then go for the DAS. It is good for those who cannot handle spaces like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Missing_Aria

Original Poster
I just saw this - I was just there for gay days, and try not to worry about that aspect. I might have seen a look or two given to massive groups but as a whole I do not think that part would be an issue.

Trust me, if we hadn't had the one chick last time actively interrupt Country Bears to loudly call my girlfriend "SIR" repeatedly and ask what her 'real' name was (her birth name is actually already very feminine sounding so I guess she thought we were lying to her) before trying to say that "God told her" to save my girlfriend and teach her "his ways". I switched seats with my girlfriend and gave the girl one of those Southern 'no please, go on' smiles that shut her up pretty quickly.

Girl was crazy though, she actually tried following us. Fortunately when I'm defending someone else I'm usually fine and that girl never tried to verbally attack me personally. Its when they come after me that my brain turns toxic and works against me. They could be telling me I'm blue and they hate blue people and a part of my brain is going to be all 'you know they make a solid point.' I've gotten pretty good at most of the other stuff but that one's hard to shake unfortunately.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

Trust me, if we hadn't had the one chick last time actively interrupt Country Bears to loudly call my girlfriend "SIR" repeatedly and ask what her 'real' name was (her birth name is actually already very feminine sounding so I guess she thought we were lying to her) before trying to say that "God told her" to save my girlfriend and teach her "his ways". I switched seats with my girlfriend and gave the girl one of those Southern 'no please, go on' smiles that shut her up pretty quickly.

Girl was crazy though, she actually tried following us. Fortunately when I'm defending someone else I'm usually fine and that girl never tried to verbally attack me personally. Its when they come after me that my brain turns toxic and works against me. They could be telling me I'm blue and they hate blue people and a part of my brain is going to be all 'you know they make a solid point.' I've gotten pretty good at most of the other stuff but that one's hard to shake unfortunately.

I do get the worries and that is insane what she did. Some people are seriously unhinged. There are some names out there too that go both ways so I'm not sure why someone wouldn't believe it. I also don't get why people think their way is the only way.

If you really do get concerned, as I said the DAS will help you with the PTSD. Also being in an ECV in many cases you will get alternative entrances with a CM near by most of the time. Knowing how the CMs at Disney are, they wouldn't put up with that crap. Of course once you get into a show if one isn't available it isn't easy. In the end do what you feel will work best for you. You have legitimate issues/concerns that Disney will help with. I hope you all have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Driver

That's actually really good advice, if I do end up renting one I'll probably need to go to Jersey to find a grocery store that has them but it would make me feel way better to have practice in.
Let me also add if you will be traveling by bus don't be too proud to let the bus driver help you park. We do it all the time and can park the ECV in a fraction of the time. I always offer and too many times people say (mostly men) "I got it" and they proceed to hit everything but the lottery on the bus! When they say " I got it" I get out of the way and watch the show. It takes them longer with the hit and miss method than just letting me help. I also can get you out quick in two easy moves . But again you got to let me help. We do this every single day we're kinda good at it LOL!! 😜

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Let me also add if you will be traveling by bus don't be too proud to let the bus driver help you park. We do it all the time and can park the ECV in a fraction of the time. I always offer and too many times people say (mostly men) "I got it" and they proceed to hit everything but the lottery on the bus! When they say " I got it" I get out of the way and watch the show. It takes them longer with the hit and miss method than just letting me help. I also can get you out quick in two easy moves . But again you got to let me help. We do this every single day we're kinda good at it LOL!! 😜

I second this! Let the driver do it, if they volunteer - they can do it in a fraction of the time!

Upvote 0

correcaminos

I second this! Let the driver do it, if they volunteer - they can do it in a fraction of the time!

This! The bus drivers now are so much nicer at helping than they used to be!!

Upvote 0

scarr13311

Okay so my girlfriend and I are planning a December trip to WDW, tickets & hotel room are booked and everything (even got the free dining plan deal YAY!) but this year I've been dealing with a new friend... My cane. The cane is something I've been struggling with both literally and emotionally because I'm 32, still get along fairly quickly most days while using my cane, and I don't have anything visibly wrong with me.

I'm a former Air Force medic who served in Afghanistan doing convoys with the Army (101st cause who the heck hasn't at this point?) and before anyone goes thinking I got shot or blown up or something let me tell you my deployment was luckily largely uneventful. It was interesting and I got to experience a lot but, with the exception of one major incident in which I was completely unharmed, it was fine. However, my right side of my hip turns in and I've 'walked funny' my whole life with occasional problems here and there. It was never too bad unless I was tired or hurting for some reason though so I was able to join the service and start doing real damage to that hip and leg. The doctors don't really know what happened, if it was even just one thing, or what exactly is wrong. Right now they just assume moderate to high wear and tear on something that wasn't particularly strong to begin with. Lots of tests and imaging haven't really given us more than that. All we really know is that my right leg and hip are weak and frequently experience pain and locking up when faced with high levels or long periods of physical activity. All the running and walking I used to do? Nope, can't even walk a block without my cane without being in tears from the stabbing pain.

Problem is that, as a former military medic, I have a hard time thinking of that above paragraph as a good enough reason to have an ECV. I've never even used one in a mall or store. I've used a manual wheelchair once in IKEA and, while it definitely helped, I felt insanely stupid. The whole time I'm just sitting there thinking 'I can walk, what the hell am I doing? I need to stop being a baby!' It didn't help when an older couple (maybe 70?) who were clearly in excellent shape mobility wise started making snide comments about me being in a chair while in the elevator. Stage whispers of "young people these days are just so lazy" as they cut me off to get onto the elevator were followed by venomous glares the whole ride. Of course a huge part of my brain agreed with them, I really felt like I was just being lazy (even though it's harder to push a wheelchair that's far to big for you with your arms than it is just to walk if you're healthy). Mentally I couldn't reason with myself that I did need it, that it did help, that the fact that I didn't wake up screaming in agony the following night was an excellent indicator of just how much the chair actually helped, all that mattered was that I felt like a giant fake because I CAN walk. Logically I'm aware that line of thought is idiotic, but subconsciously these thoughts rule my mind, even when I'm just using my cane.

I definitely feel bad about the cane on a daily basis because I live in New York, and it's a daily thing where I'm too scared to ask for the seat I need on a subway or bus. I get trash talked or intentionally knocked around multiple times a week by people trying to prove some sort of point or something I guess. I have no problem with, and frequently end up, asking people to give up their seats for other disabled/elderly/pregnant persons but if someone offers me a seat I'm too embarrassed/ashamed to properly thank them half the time. I have bad anxiety & PTSD because of the military and all of it centers around social conflict and social interactions in general so, even when I can put on a tough front, I'm usually shaking when someone decides to be an *** about my use of a cane.

Which brings me to Disney World. Everything I've read online says that if you need a cane in your day to day life you really should rent a wheelchair or ECV. I don't want to put my girlfriend out by needing frequent breaks or needing to head back to the resort early. I also definitely don't want to wake up screaming due to extreme leg cramps because I pushed myself too hard for too long. But I also don't want to deal with some jerk making snide comments and making my anxiety flare up, or maybe having to deal with someone actually confronting me directly and causing me to shut down completely since I won't be bringing my ESA with me (because honestly I shouldn't need her for a week long trip and I hate people who abuse the ESA/Service Animal laws with a burning passion). I've seen a LOT of websites, forum threads, and reddits complaining about anyone in an ECV and I'm legitimately terrified that I'll run into someone who just wants to hate me for being on one if I choose to go that route. So I'm not sure what I should do.

Sorry I know this was really long. Basically I'm looking for some first hand accounts of people like me who are young adults who look healthy and use/have used ECVs at Disney World. What was it like? Do you have any tips? Should I just tough it out and plan out a bunch of breaks or get one of those canes with a chair built in (even though they're useless to walk with)? I've been thinking about this since I booked the trip in January and I'm honestly no closer to a decision.

I say don't worry what people think and if someone says anything just ignore them. What is important is your comfort so you can enjoy your vacation. When we go Disney I get an ECV because I have "Congenital Spinal Stenosis" in my neck and lumbar which both have affected my right leg and balance. (But I had cervical surgery in December and have titanium rods/screws supporting my neck and will be having lumbar surgery in the future) I can walk short a distance but tire easy because I limp. I rent from Buena Vista Scooter and if you are staying on Disney property they office a 10% discount and they will deliver the scooter to the resort, or other hotel you are staying at. You can ride the scooter thru most of the queue lines on the rides if not the parks have wheelchairs to use in line. Hope this helps and
Enjoy your trip you deserve it!!

Because if it wasn't for all wonderful Military people like you out there for the USA we all would not have the freedom to decide if we wanted to go to Disney or not. Thank you for your service.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

I definitely feel bad about the cane on a daily basis because I live in New York, and it's a daily thing where I'm too scared to ask for the seat I need on a subway or bus. I get trash talked or intentionally knocked around multiple times a week by people trying to prove some sort of point or something I guess. I have no problem with, and frequently end up, asking people to give up their seats for other disabled/elderly/pregnant persons but if someone offers me a seat I'm too embarrassed/ashamed to properly thank them half the time. I have bad anxiety & PTSD because of the military and all of it centers around social conflict and social interactions in general so, even when I can put on a tough front, I'm usually shaking when someone decides to be an *** about my use of a cane.

Rent the ECV. Buena Vista Scooters is the most popular. My daughter tore her meniscus in her right knee 2 weeks before our visit to Uni. Without that scooter, she'd have stayed home. Disney is a lot of walking - you'd be in agony after an hour or so. And make sure to bring your cane - no one should give you dirty looks. Let the ride CM know if you'll need help getting on the ride.

And thank you for your service.

If you didn't know, Shades of Green is for vets. Right across from the Grand Floridian. Check it out.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
We're staying at Caribbean but we've already requested one of the closer rooms because we heard it was so spread out. Last time we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside in the Bayou and we loved it for it's immersion (and lack of little ones running about) but I couldn't imagine navigating it with an ECV. A big part of my concern is that the whole reason we shell out for WDW resorts is for the immersion. If we're paying for a Disney experience we don't want that feeling to stop when we go back to the resort room. I'm worried that if we tell them that we need to be able to get an ECV into the room that they'll move us into something with no view that empties onto the parking lot even though we're paying for the better room view.

Side note: Yes I know I sound like a paranoid crazy person. >___<

Adding on: I should add that it's VERY up in the air possibility that my 9 year old niece MIGHT (very much a might) be coming with us which was why we booked Caribbean vs French Quarter which was what we wanted to try next.

Caribbean Beach DOESN'T HAVE ELEVATORS. Either request a handicapped accessible room or change resorts. POR is a wonderful resort. If you decide to stay there and use an ECV during your visit, call them and tell them to not give you a room in Alligator Bayou - those buildings don't have elevators.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member

If someone starts harassing you, please seek out a CM immediately. There's no excuse for either you or your GF to be subjected to such behavior. If it's bad enough, Security will be called and that person may be escorted out of the park. Happened to me on a bus to one of the parks. Not only did Disney security show up, but OCSO gave them a special ride in one of their cars.

Upvote 0

Simba's Mom

I echo what Smiley said-get an ECV. Let me tell you my ECV story. I've been using a cane (I have Spastic Paraplegia, which is similar to MS) but struggled and refused an ECV for several years. Finally, on one trip a few years ago, I couldn't stand the pain any longer and broke down and got an ECV. First thing I did? Called home (I was solo) and cried to my DH, "I'm actually on an ECV!" Then I started driving around the park, just waiting for those evil stares and comments I was sure I'd get. But, they didn't happen. 99% of the people who noticed me helped me, opening doors, etc. If I had any questions (like "Where do I park if I'm going to the restrooms?") other ECV riders are very helpful. Now my cane rides, folded up, in the basket of my ECV.
Regarding HA rooms. I know from personal experience that not all HA rooms are on the first floor. You're best off requesting first floor.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom