Struggling to decide on ECV

Missing_Aria

Okay so my girlfriend and I are planning a December trip to WDW, tickets & hotel room are booked and everything (even got the free dining plan deal YAY!) but this year I've been dealing with a new friend... My cane. The cane is something I've been struggling with both literally and emotionally because I'm 32, still get along fairly quickly most days while using my cane, and I don't have anything visibly wrong with me.

I'm a former Air Force medic who served in Afghanistan doing convoys with the Army (101st cause who the heck hasn't at this point?) and before anyone goes thinking I got shot or blown up or something let me tell you my deployment was luckily largely uneventful. It was interesting and I got to experience a lot but, with the exception of one major incident in which I was completely unharmed, it was fine. However, my right side of my hip turns in and I've 'walked funny' my whole life with occasional problems here and there. It was never too bad unless I was tired or hurting for some reason though so I was able to join the service and start doing real damage to that hip and leg. The doctors don't really know what happened, if it was even just one thing, or what exactly is wrong. Right now they just assume moderate to high wear and tear on something that wasn't particularly strong to begin with. Lots of tests and imaging haven't really given us more than that. All we really know is that my right leg and hip are weak and frequently experience pain and locking up when faced with high levels or long periods of physical activity. All the running and walking I used to do? Nope, can't even walk a block without my cane without being in tears from the stabbing pain.

Problem is that, as a former military medic, I have a hard time thinking of that above paragraph as a good enough reason to have an ECV. I've never even used one in a mall or store. I've used a manual wheelchair once in IKEA and, while it definitely helped, I felt insanely stupid. The whole time I'm just sitting there thinking 'I can walk, what the hell am I doing? I need to stop being a baby!' It didn't help when an older couple (maybe 70?) who were clearly in excellent shape mobility wise started making snide comments about me being in a chair while in the elevator. Stage whispers of "young people these days are just so lazy" as they cut me off to get onto the elevator were followed by venomous glares the whole ride. Of course a huge part of my brain agreed with them, I really felt like I was just being lazy (even though it's harder to push a wheelchair that's far to big for you with your arms than it is just to walk if you're healthy). Mentally I couldn't reason with myself that I did need it, that it did help, that the fact that I didn't wake up screaming in agony the following night was an excellent indicator of just how much the chair actually helped, all that mattered was that I felt like a giant fake because I CAN walk. Logically I'm aware that line of thought is idiotic, but subconsciously these thoughts rule my mind, even when I'm just using my cane.

I definitely feel bad about the cane on a daily basis because I live in New York, and it's a daily thing where I'm too scared to ask for the seat I need on a subway or bus. I get trash talked or intentionally knocked around multiple times a week by people trying to prove some sort of point or something I guess. I have no problem with, and frequently end up, asking people to give up their seats for other disabled/elderly/pregnant persons but if someone offers me a seat I'm too embarrassed/ashamed to properly thank them half the time. I have bad anxiety & PTSD because of the military and all of it centers around social conflict and social interactions in general so, even when I can put on a tough front, I'm usually shaking when someone decides to be an about my use of a cane.

Which brings me to Disney World. Everything I've read online says that if you need a cane in your day to day life you really should rent a wheelchair or ECV. I don't want to put my girlfriend out by needing frequent breaks or needing to head back to the resort early. I also definitely don't want to wake up screaming due to extreme leg cramps because I pushed myself too hard for too long. But I also don't want to deal with some jerk making snide comments and making my anxiety flare up, or maybe having to deal with someone actually confronting me directly and causing me to shut down completely since I won't be bringing my ESA with me (because honestly I shouldn't need her for a week long trip and I hate people who abuse the ESA/Service Animal laws with a burning passion). I've seen a LOT of websites, forum threads, and reddits complaining about anyone in an ECV and I'm legitimately terrified that I'll run into someone who just wants to hate me for being on one if I choose to go that route. So I'm not sure what I should do.

Sorry I know this was really long. Basically I'm looking for some first hand accounts of people like me who are young adults who look healthy and use/have used ECVs at Disney World. What was it like? Do you have any tips? Should I just tough it out and plan out a bunch of breaks or get one of those canes with a chair built in (even though they're useless to walk with)? I've been thinking about this since I booked the trip in January and I'm honestly no closer to a decision.

CaptainAmerica

A couple of years ago I traveled to WDW with my mother in-law after she had a hip surgery and my recommendation would be to avoid an ECV unless you absolutely need it. While they'll help ease your leg pain, they also make touring the parks quite inconvenient. Tight crowds, narrow pathways, boarding transportation, etc. are all much slower and, in my opinion, more stressful. My mother in-law is exactly the opposite of you... she complains constantly no matter what and always thinks she's dying, but even she acknowledged that she'd rather have used her cane than dealt with the scooter for a week.

Regardless of your condition, frequent breaks are extremely important when you're visiting WDW. Show up early in the morning and tour the parks until about lunch time. Then return to your resort for a break, rest, swim, whatever. Return to the parks in the evenings when the worst of the crowds and the heat are dying down.

Also, if anyone gives you crap for sitting down on the bus or using a cane, you have my permission to beat them with it.

Upvote 0

Missing_Aria

Original Poster
A couple of years ago I traveled to WDW with my mother in-law after she had a hip surgery and my recommendation would be to avoid an ECV unless you absolutely need it. While they'll help ease your leg pain, they also make touring the parks quite inconvenient. Tight crowds, narrow pathways, boarding transportation, etc. are all much slower and, in my opinion, more stressful. My mother in-law is exactly the opposite of you... she complains constantly no matter what and always thinks she's dying, but even she acknowledged that she'd rather have used her cane than dealt with the scooter for a week.

Regardless of your condition, frequent breaks are extremely important when you're visiting WDW. Show up early in the morning and tour the parks until about lunch time. Then return to your resort for a break, rest, swim, whatever. Return to the parks in the evenings when the worst of the crowds and the heat are dying down.

Also, if anyone gives you crap for sitting down on the bus or using a cane, you have my permission to beat them with it.

Yeah this was the other thing I was worried about. Calling in to make sure I could even get my ECV to my assigned room, possibly getting the room moved (and ending up with a cruddy view), wrestling with navigating crowds because I'm not used to an ECV, dealing with the inevitable bumping into someone's poor shins because of crowds or being cut off... The list goes on.

I almost wonder if a manual would be easier to deal with in those regards. I could fold it up while on the bus so it doesn't take up too much room too possibly. And maybe if I don't feel like I need it I can just set my stuff in it and use it to help me walk as I push it... But I doubt I could lean on it properly then, I don't know, I dealt more with gurneys and stretchers than pushing wheelchairs when I was a medic.

My main concern is the lines, standing for even 30 minutes with minimal moving would be hell. Granted when we went on our last trip (Which was at the end of Sept) we only had to do that a handful of times (thank you Fast Pass) but I guess I was already starting to have issues because even back then it was rough and I seriously wanted to sit on the ground in line.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Yeah this was the other thing I was worried about. Calling in to make sure I could even get my ECV to my assigned room, possibly getting the room moved (and ending up with a cruddy view), wrestling with navigating crowds because I'm not used to an ECV, dealing with the inevitable bumping into someone's poor shins because of crowds or being cut off... The list goes on.

I almost wonder if a manual would be easier to deal with in those regards. I could fold it up while on the bus so it doesn't take up too much room too possibly. And maybe if I don't feel like I need it I can just set my stuff in it and use it to help me walk as I push it... But I doubt I could lean on it properly then, I don't know, I dealt more with gurneys and stretchers than pushing wheelchairs when I was a medic.

My main concern is the lines, standing for even 30 minutes with minimal moving would be hell. Granted when we went on our last trip (Which was at the end of Sept) we only had to do that a handful of times (thank you Fast Pass) but I guess I was already starting to have issues because even back then it was rough and I seriously wanted to sit on the ground in line.
When in December are you going? If it's the first or second week, you should be able to do absolutely everything without waiting in a 30 minute line. Consider adding a night or two to your reservation. It'll let you spread out your parks and do things at a more laid back pace, and probably be cheaper than the ECV rental anyways.

Another option, rather than committing to rental for the full length of your trip, is to try the first day without it and then just rent day-to-day depending on how you feel.

Upvote 0

bee

Thanks, @Tuvalu!
ETA: and thanks, @Zipitidoda!

Six weeks before my last trip I was injured jumping from a second floor balcony to escape a fire. Luckily my legs are fine, but I injured my abdomen badly. Seriously, the first time I had PT and used a walker to walk 20 steps, I felt like I had just come back from a run. Less than two months before the incident I ran a 5K and was training for the next one, and I could barely walk.

Fast forward to the week or so before my trip. I was extremely averse to using an ECV even though I was moving a lot better than before. Like you, I use a cane in everyday life, and like you I’m young (29) and don’t “look” sick or disabled. I was nervous about getting dirty looks from other guests who would think I’m just being lazy.

I went ahead and rented the dern thing and I am SO GLAD I did. Did I get dirty looks from other guests? Maybe, but I didn’t notice them. The CMs were amazing about helping me navigate ride transfers and such, and never once made me feel like I didn’t “deserve” to use the scooter. Looking back I know I would have had a miserable time had I tried to navigate the parks with just my cane. Just rent one and enjoy your vacation and don’t worry about other guests!

Upvote 0

Driver

Okay so my girlfriend and I are planning a December trip to WDW, tickets & hotel room are booked and everything (even got the free dining plan deal YAY!) but this year I've been dealing with a new friend... My cane. The cane is something I've been struggling with both literally and emotionally because I'm 32, still get along fairly quickly most days while using my cane, and I don't have anything visibly wrong with me.

I'm a former Air Force medic who served in Afghanistan doing convoys with the Army (101st cause who the heck hasn't at this point?) and before anyone goes thinking I got shot or blown up or something let me tell you my deployment was luckily largely uneventful. It was interesting and I got to experience a lot but, with the exception of one major incident in which I was completely unharmed, it was fine. However, my right side of my hip turns in and I've 'walked funny' my whole life with occasional problems here and there. It was never too bad unless I was tired or hurting for some reason though so I was able to join the service and start doing real damage to that hip and leg. The doctors don't really know what happened, if it was even just one thing, or what exactly is wrong. Right now they just assume moderate to high wear and tear on something that wasn't particularly strong to begin with. Lots of tests and imaging haven't really given us more than that. All we really know is that my right leg and hip are weak and frequently experience pain and locking up when faced with high levels or long periods of physical activity. All the running and walking I used to do? Nope, can't even walk a block without my cane without being in tears from the stabbing pain.

Problem is that, as a former military medic, I have a hard time thinking of that above paragraph as a good enough reason to have an ECV. I've never even used one in a mall or store. I've used a manual wheelchair once in IKEA and, while it definitely helped, I felt insanely stupid. The whole time I'm just sitting there thinking 'I can walk, what the hell am I doing? I need to stop being a baby!' It didn't help when an older couple (maybe 70?) who were clearly in excellent shape mobility wise started making snide comments about me being in a chair while in the elevator. Stage whispers of "young people these days are just so lazy" as they cut me off to get onto the elevator were followed by venomous glares the whole ride. Of course a huge part of my brain agreed with them, I really felt like I was just being lazy (even though it's harder to push a wheelchair that's far to big for you with your arms than it is just to walk if you're healthy). Mentally I couldn't reason with myself that I did need it, that it did help, that the fact that I didn't wake up screaming in agony the following night was an excellent indicator of just how much the chair actually helped, all that mattered was that I felt like a giant fake because I CAN walk. Logically I'm aware that line of thought is idiotic, but subconsciously these thoughts rule my mind, even when I'm just using my cane.

I definitely feel bad about the cane on a daily basis because I live in New York, and it's a daily thing where I'm too scared to ask for the seat I need on a subway or bus. I get trash talked or intentionally knocked around multiple times a week by people trying to prove some sort of point or something I guess. I have no problem with, and frequently end up, asking people to give up their seats for other disabled/elderly/pregnant persons but if someone offers me a seat I'm too embarrassed/ashamed to properly thank them half the time. I have bad anxiety & PTSD because of the military and all of it centers around social conflict and social interactions in general so, even when I can put on a tough front, I'm usually shaking when someone decides to be an *** about my use of a cane.

Which brings me to Disney World. Everything I've read online says that if you need a cane in your day to day life you really should rent a wheelchair or ECV. I don't want to put my girlfriend out by needing frequent breaks or needing to head back to the resort early. I also definitely don't want to wake up screaming due to extreme leg cramps because I pushed myself too hard for too long. But I also don't want to deal with some jerk making snide comments and making my anxiety flare up, or maybe having to deal with someone actually confronting me directly and causing me to shut down completely since I won't be bringing my ESA with me (because honestly I shouldn't need her for a week long trip and I hate people who abuse the ESA/Service Animal laws with a burning passion). I've seen a LOT of websites, forum threads, and reddits complaining about anyone in an ECV and I'm legitimately terrified that I'll run into someone who just wants to hate me for being on one if I choose to go that route. So I'm not sure what I should do.

Sorry I know this was really long. Basically I'm looking for some first hand accounts of people like me who are young adults who look healthy and use/have used ECVs at Disney World. What was it like? Do you have any tips? Should I just tough it out and plan out a bunch of breaks or get one of those canes with a chair built in (even though they're useless to walk with)? I've been thinking about this since I booked the trip in January and I'm honestly no closer to a decision.
First I would like to offer a sincere thank you for serving our country. And second, for your comfort and enjoyment get the ECV! Don't worry about what other people think, we see guest using ECV's daily that look perfectly fine. That's not the issue, for example I have a friend who visits on occasion and gets an ECV every time he looks 100% capable but has circulation issues with his legs from diabetes and a heart condition to boot! Get the ECV my friend and come down, we're waiting!😊👍

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

To be clear, I absolutely agree with what everyone has said about not caring what anybody else thinks. My advice to skip the ECV if you're on the edge is more about your own convenience not needing to deal with the dang thing. I've only had one trip traveling with someone using it and take my opinion for what it's worth since I wasn't the one in pain, but our group found it to be a major PITA to deal with unless you really really need it.

Upvote 0

Missing_Aria

Original Poster
To be clear, I absolutely agree with what everyone has said about not caring what anybody else thinks. My advice to skip the ECV if you're on the edge is more about your own convenience not needing to deal with the dang thing. I've only had one trip traveling with someone using it and take my opinion for what it's worth since I wasn't the one in pain, but our group found it to be a major PITA to deal with unless you really really need it.

Oh no! I definitely got that from your first response and it was exactly the type of weigh in I was looking for. I know that an ECV WILL help, but for me I'm not sure if the positives will outweigh the negatives. As you pointed out, ECVs are a hassle all on their own even if no one is a jerk the whole trip.

And honestly it's one thing to say 'screw those jerks' and quite another to be enjoying your day just to have one of them pop up and completely ruin your Disney immersion. We had that happen my last trip because my girlfriend is transgender and doesn't pass very well yet and this super religious nut started harassing her. Unfortunately for that poor soul I went to a Christian school and proceeded to quote bible verses right back at her that explained why Jesus didn't appreciate her being a mean jerkwad and judging others. I think I dealt with that situation fairly well but the incident definitely put a damper on that day in spite of our best efforts.

Upvote 0

Missing_Aria

Original Poster
Please do whatever you need to to have a good and pain free trip. If that means ECV rental do it! If you are nervous about your ability to manuver an ECV spend some time late at night at the grocery store practicing before your trip. There will always be jerks in life but they are not worth risking your health over.

That's actually really good advice, if I do end up renting one I'll probably need to go to Jersey to find a grocery store that has them but it would make me feel way better to have practice in.

Upvote 0

Missing_Aria

Original Poster
Thanks, @Tuvalu!
ETA: and thanks, @Zipitidoda!

Six weeks before my last trip I was injured jumping from a second floor balcony to escape a fire. Luckily my legs are fine, but I injured my abdomen badly. Seriously, the first time I had PT and used a walker to walk 20 steps, I felt like I had just come back from a run. Less than two months before the incident I ran a 5K and was training for the next one, and I could barely walk.

Fast forward to the week or so before my trip. I was extremely averse to using an ECV even though I was moving a lot better than before. Like you, I use a cane in everyday life, and like you I’m young (29) and don’t “look” sick or disabled. I was nervous about getting dirty looks from other guests who would think I’m just being lazy.

I went ahead and rented the dern thing and I am SO GLAD I did. Did I get dirty looks from other guests? Maybe, but I didn’t notice them. The CMs were amazing about helping me navigate ride transfers and such, and never once made me feel like I didn’t “deserve” to use the scooter. Looking back I know I would have had a miserable time had I tried to navigate the parks with just my cane. Just rent one and enjoy your vacation and don’t worry about other guests!

Yeah I was just reading over your blow by blow of your trip (someone linked it above) and holy crap I can't even imagine going through what you did. It does look like you had a blast though.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

If you rent one for the length of the trip and wish to have it at your resort, I personally use and recommend Buena Vista Scooters - they have an office onsite in case of breakdowns and they are a Disney approved provider. I usually rent of theirs since it allows me to have it at the resort too. Some of the resorts are very large.

If you only wish to use one for the day, you can rent them at the front of each Disney park, and you must leave them at that park - although with the receipt, you can get another one at your second park of the day, assuming availability.

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

I've needed to use a cane in my daily life since I was 30. That didn't stop us from going to WDW for many, many trips. I developed degenerative arthritis in my knee due to a childhood accident, but was too young for a knee replacement. So I adapted. My family and I knew the consequences of not using a wheelchair (DH was happy to push me around - self propelling a regular chair all day is impossible). If I walked all day I slowed everyone down due to the need to stop and sit frequently to rest the knee. Standing in long lines (and even a 30 min line could be almost impossible) hurt like blazes. And that night I would be in agony.

With the chair, we could go a lot faster. No need for all those breaks. Waiting in line was not a problem. And are night I could get the sleep I needed. Yes there are inconveniences. Sometimes you have to wait for the next bus if there are chairs or ECV ahead of you. And yes, negotiating the crowds can be a bit frustrating.

But for every a hole who gives you a dirty look or makes a snide comment, there are guests of unfailing kindness who will hold a door open for you, stand back so as not to cut you off, or just give you a smile. And the CMs everywhere are unfailingly helpful. As for the unkind individuals you may run into - pity them instead of fearing them. Their unkindness comes from ignorance, They are not a part of your life, you will never see them again, and should be a minor blip in an otherwise lovely day.

As for the practicalities, decide if you want to rent from an outside agency, so you can use the ECV at the resort or getting to and from your destination. There is a list of agencies that Disney has deals with - they can deliver and pick up at your resort without your presence. That way it's waiting for you at Bell Services when you arrive. Also rent a cane holder attachment, so you'll have it when you need to walk. The alternative, if you think you can manage it, is to rent the Disney ecvs, which are only for use inside the parks. Getting around the resorts is not a problem. Even the value resorts can accommodate an ECV inside the room. And you will have your girlfriend to help you with doors. Every TS restaurant has an ECV parking area (bonus - in some indoor areas you may be near an electrical plug, so you can charge up while you are eating.)

In the parks, if you are feeling up to it, you can always park the ECV in a designated area and walk for a while. Then retrieve it when you move on to a different area. Oh, and the website has a section for guests with mobility disabilities. It's full of very good information.

Above all, do not sacrifice your health and well being because of a few dirty looks. The ECV is merely a tool - no different than your cane, eyeglasses, or a hearing aid. If you need it, use it. And I hope you have a marvelous trip.

Upvote 0

bee

Please do whatever you need to to have a good and pain free trip. If that means ECV rental do it! If you are nervous about your ability to manuver an ECV spend some time late at night at the grocery store practicing before your trip. There will always be jerks in life but they are not worth risking your health over.

That's actually really good advice, if I do end up renting one I'll probably need to go to Jersey to find a grocery store that has them but it would make me feel way better to have practice in.

The one I rented from ScooterBug was much smaller than the ones I've seen in grocery stores and was super easy to operate, FWIW. It's the second one in this PDF:

https://www.scooterbugmobilityrentals.com/img/client/0/image/images/Scooter Price 4-1-15.png

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

My husband was in a car accident a couple months before one of our trips and ended up with a back injury. We rented a ECV for 6 days for around $170 and had it delivered directly to the resort. We figured it was better to spend the money and have it then wish we did later. As far as other guest saying something I would ignore them. I have severe eczema that I've been dealing with the last several years and sometimes my skin looks really bad but I don't let it bother me and if someone has a problem with it it's their problem not mine.

Where are you staying? Some of the resorts are very spread out and just getting round them can be a chore. It may be better to have the ECV at the resort if you want to use it. After all the money you spend on a WDW vacation do you really want to not enjoy it because of some thoughtless people may say something stupid.

Upvote 0

Missing_Aria

Original Poster
My husband was in a car accident a couple months before one of our trips and ended up with a back injury. We rented a ECV for 6 days for around $170 and had it delivered directly to the resort. We figured it was better to spend the money and have it then wish we did later. As far as other guest saying something I would ignore them. I have severe eczema that I've been dealing with the last several years and sometimes my skin looks really bad but I don't let it bother me and if someone has a problem with it it's their problem not mine.

Where are you staying? Some of the resorts are very spread out and just getting round them can be a chore. It may be better to have the ECV at the resort if you want to use it. After all the money you spend on a WDW vacation do you really want to not enjoy it because of some thoughtless people may say something stupid.

We're staying at Caribbean but we've already requested one of the closer rooms because we heard it was so spread out. Last time we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside in the Bayou and we loved it for it's immersion (and lack of little ones running about) but I couldn't imagine navigating it with an ECV. A big part of my concern is that the whole reason we shell out for WDW resorts is for the immersion. If we're paying for a Disney experience we don't want that feeling to stop when we go back to the resort room. I'm worried that if we tell them that we need to be able to get an ECV into the room that they'll move us into something with no view that empties onto the parking lot even though we're paying for the better room view.

Side note: Yes I know I sound like a paranoid crazy person. >___<

Adding on: I should add that it's VERY up in the air possibility that my 9 year old niece MIGHT (very much a might) be coming with us which was why we booked Caribbean vs French Quarter which was what we wanted to try next.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

We're staying at Caribbean but we've already requested one of the closer rooms because we heard it was so spread out. Last time we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside in the Bayou and we loved it for it's immersion (and lack of little ones running about) but I couldn't imagine navigating it with an ECV. A big part of my concern is that the whole reason we shell out for WDW resorts is for the immersion. If we're paying for a Disney experience we don't want that feeling to stop when we go back to the resort room. I'm worried that if we tell them that we need to be able to get an ECV into the room that they'll move us into something with no view that empties onto the parking lot even though we're paying for the better room view.

Side note: Yes I know I sound like a paranoid crazy person. >___<

Adding on: I should add that it's VERY up in the air possibility that my 9 year old niece MIGHT (very much a might) be coming with us which was why we booked Caribbean vs French Quarter which was what we wanted to try next.

Having an ECV will in no way affect your room assignment. And all resorts, including ALL the rooms, are ECV and wheelchair accessible. Do not let this affect your resort choice. Even the specially designed Handicapped Accessible rooms are availablle in each room category. And don't worry about being reassigned to a less desirable room. You will get the room you paid for. I don't know why you think navigating POR or any other resort would be problematic with an ECV. It's not. Why do you think CBR is better than POFQ because your niece may be coming with you? Is it because of the Murphy bed?

Upvote 0

Missing_Aria

Original Poster
Why do you think CBR is better than POFQ because your niece may be coming with you? Is it because of the Murphy bed?

It's for the theme mainly. She'll enjoy the theme of Caribbean more than French Quarter (Her grandmother actually lives in New Orleans so it's nothing new or special to her) and with us going in early December I figure the pools will be warmer to enjoy than the splash area at the French Quarter. She's that crazy kid who will swim in 40 degree temperatures for hours if you let her but I'd rather not have her getting sick on vacation if I can help it even though it doesn't normally get that cold in Florida. Also, from everything I've heard, Caribbean is the best pool hands down.

It also doesn't hurt that the prices right now with the construction are super cheap and will probably skyrocket after the gondolas are done. The construction shows every indication of being finished around the resort by the time we get there too so fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom