Stroller Troubles

Gabe1124

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any alternatives that they use when their little ones don't want to sit in the stroller. We are going in mid december with our soon-to-be 3 year old (turns 3 in January) and she is not a big fan of sitting in the stroller. I was just wondering if any other parents have run into this issue and have any alternatives or solutions to getting your child to sit in the stroller. Thanks for the help!

Disvillain63

When our children were that age, we took them without strollers and alternated shows and rides. It worked well, but we did leave ourselves with the option of renting one if it became necessary. They did ride on Dad's shoulders a few times too. We went from rope drop to close, but the parks generally closed at dark back then, except Epcot.

Upvote 0

Lexie

I am thinking I may have the same problem with my little girl this summer. Rented two strollers in case (she has a little brother and we have four adults so pushing the strollers not a big deal) but also just bought a "leash" backpack at babies r us. Never thought I would be "that" mom but figured that way she could walk with a little bit if "freedom" without us trying to constantly hold her hand

Upvote 0

wilkeliza

Nephew isn't a fan of his stroller. We took him for his 2nd birthday. We brought the stroller but never forced him into it. We found more if you force them into the stroller they are just cranky and who wants a cranky kid on vacation. He has very clear boundaries i.e. he is allowed to be with an adult ahead of the rest of the pack but can never run off alone. In crowds his hand must be on the stroller. Even at 2 he understood these rules now at 3 he is a champ at them. He only ran off once and since we were watching him we all took off after him. No need for a backpack ever because us adults are much faster than he is. We really only brought the stroller so he had somewhere comfortable to lay down during nap time while the older siblings rode rides.

Just remember who this trip is really about. If your little one prefers to walk be thankful for that and just keep a watchful eye on them and practice boundaries and hand on the stroller now so they aren't a new concept once you get to WDW.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

After the second or third swat on the backside after not sitting when told would probably get the message across.

Tell them, "Sit in this stroller and stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about."

The 1960s would like its parenting strategies back.

In 2014 America, I would say, like others--let her walk and enjoy the freedom that comes with leaving the stroller behind :) A backpack leash is a possibility for high-traffic areas, though most 3-year olds don't need them by that age. Fantasyland around 10 am can get pretty stressful, though...hopefully she's a pretty good listener.

Upvote 0

cw1982

I am thinking I may have the same problem with my little girl this summer. Rented two strollers in case (she has a little brother and we have four adults so pushing the strollers not a big deal) but also just bought a "leash" backpack at babies r us. Never thought I would be "that" mom but figured that way she could walk with a little bit if "freedom" without us trying to constantly hold her hand

Good luck with that. My sister got out of one of those leashes when she was two... we were eating dinner in Epcot and she made it into the kitchen before anyone knew she was gone. We heard people yelling, heard her giggling, and saw a group of kitchen staff chasing her out of the kitchen. I was little (younger than ten) and thought it was funny. My parents? Not so much... lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Uncle Remus

The 1960s would like its parenting strategies back.

In 2014 America, I would say, like others--let her walk and enjoy the freedom that comes with leaving the stroller behind :) A backpack leash is a possibility for high-traffic areas, though most 3-year olds don't need them by that age. Fantasyland around 10 am can get pretty stressful, though...hopefully she's a pretty good listener.

I say let people parent how they want to because every child is different. Take a little bit of Benadryl in a cherry coke for example.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

I say let people parent how they want to because every child is different. Take a little bit of Benadryl in a cherry coke for example.
There's nothing more magical than seeing a trashy family beating their children on Main Street, USA. When I view these assaults, I wonder what nightmarish existence the poor child has when alone with the parent out of the public eye.

I assume the OP is more classy than this, thus the question. People who beat their children into submission seldom ask others for parenting advice because they already know what "works."

Side note--today's parent also no longer drugs his/her children and soda is a no-no.

Upvote 0

Lexie

Good luck with that. Mt sister got out of one of those leashes when she was two... we were eating dinner in Epcot and she made it into the kitchen before anyone knew she was gone. We heard people yelling, heard her giggling, and saw a group of kitchen staff chasing her out of the kitchen. I was little (younger than ten) and thought it was funny. My parents? Not so much... lol.
Oh god! Well it's really just an extra safety thing for us... I neurotic! She will never be too far from me in a crowd!

Upvote 0

cw1982

Oh god! Well it's really just an extra safety thing for us... I neurotic! She will never be too far from me in a crowd!

Lol... I didn't mean to scare you. I just know from experience that kids are far better at figuring out how to escape from those things than people realize. As long as you're aware of that and alert, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Upvote 0

Uncle Remus

There's nothing more magical than seeing a trashy family beating their children on Main Street, USA.

I assume the OP is more classy than this, thus the question. People who beat their children into submission seldom ask others for parenting advice because they already know what "works."

Lots of sarcasm on this thread. But since you persist, spanking and beating are two different things for starters. Also unless you personally know the two posters you initially quoted I would refrain from implying they are trashy. Never paint with a broad brush. Broad brushes are only good for spanking kids at Disney World.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Lots of sarcasm on this thread. But since you persist, spanking and beating are two different things for starters. Also unless you personally know the two posters you initially quoted I would refrain from implying they are trashy. Never paint with a broad brush. Broad brushes are only good for spanking kids at Disney World.
I am indeed persistent in not believing in beating children. I would love to understand the difference between beating and spanking. Go "spank" a complete stranger (adult) in public and see what the police officers call it.

Why some view it as acceptable to do to (innocent?) children what would land you in prison as a felon if performed on an adult is difficult for me to imagine. But, you are free to your old-fashioned ways until liberals take over and make it illegal.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

If a child is willing to walk instead of ride in a stroller, why not let them? They'll sit down in it when they get tired. If you're worried about them running off, invest in one of those little child leashes.

Personally, we took our youngest when she was barely four, and she walked all day, every day (except for a 2-hour afternoon nap), with no stroller needed and no complaints. Of course, there is a big difference between a 3-year-old and a 4-year-old, but there's absolutely no touring advantage to confining your child in a stroller if they don't want to be there.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom