Stroller Stolen Today at Hollywood Studios

Timekeeper

Some of these strollers can be very expensive. Why steal the stereo when you it's so easy to take the entire car? :drevil: Would not surprise me if strollers are stolen sold at flea markets, yard sales, EBAY.

Really? Well, I suppose the answer is because - as easy as it is to take the car - it's equally as easy for the authorities to find you with the car, rather than just the stereo. Career criminals know where to draw the line between risk and reward :brick:

Smaller items could be easily concealed in other bags and there would be no effective way to prohibit theft or track down the culprit. A stroller thief, however, would have to hightail it out of the park before the owner realizes that it's been stolen because there's only one guest exit and a large stroller would be extremely difficult to hide or disguise. I'm also willing to bet that I could make it to the turnstiles on foot faster than a culprit with a stroller.

I would suggest that guests - especially those with strollers - take photos of their valuables with their smartphones to have on record. Having these items visually cataloged will facilitate in assisting security as well as making any subsequent claims to the property.

Although some security devices have been referenced here, one of the best ways to discourage either intentional theft or innocent mistakes is to add clearly distinguishing and permanent features to your strollers. In keeping with the above quoted analogy, only an idiot would try to steal a pink Mar Kay car. (They'll probably just go for the stereo.) :cry:

Annielkd

I am happy to report that our stroller was eventually turned in to Lost and Found. We picked it up earlier this evening. We are still out two sweatshirts/hoodies and really don't know what happened to them, but we did get back the most valuable item. All in all, we were inconvenienced for a day and a little annoyed by the circumstances this put us in, but we had a great vacation full of wonderful memories that two "lost" hoodies could never take away. Thanks for the great tips and words of encouragement. I knew there was a reason why I have been following and reading posts on this website for years (without making a single post myself until now); in a way you have all restored my faith in human kind. Good night.:)

I'm so GLAD you got this back. I wish those two days didn't happen that way... but, i would like to think that people mad a mistake. I can't comment on the missing items... and I hope at some time something special and magical happens for you.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am happy to report that our stroller was eventually turned in to Lost and Found. We picked it up earlier this evening. We are still out two sweatshirts/hoodies and really don't know what happened to them, but we did get back the most valuable item. All in all, we were inconvenienced for a day and a little annoyed by the circumstances this put us in, but we had a great vacation full of wonderful memories that two "lost" hoodies could never take away. Thanks for the great tips and words of encouragement. I knew there was a reason why I have been following and reading posts on this website for years (without making a single post myself until now); in a way you have all restored my faith in human kind. Good night.:)

Glad you got it back and still had a great vacation!

Freshee61

And I was at Epcot just now and someone stole a couple cell phone from their stroller while they were in bath room by space ship earth.

Do like we use to do at the parks....make the children walk.

Look at the pictures of the parks back in the 70's and 80's...you can count the strollers you see on one hand.
(And the children were skinnier also:lookaroun)

And how many parks were there back then???:drevil:

I'm betting people take longer trips to the Disney parks now then they did back then. More to see, more to do, so lots more walking as well. It is pretty easy for most kids to spend one day walking a lot. Harder for them to walk constantly for 6 or 7 days at a time.

drew81

Do like we use to do at the parks....make the children walk.

Look at the pictures of the parks back in the 70's and 80's...you can count the strollers you see on one hand.
(And the children were skinnier also:lookaroun)

That would be fine with me. I don't see it happening because too many people rely on them.

G00fyDad

That would be fine with me. I don't see it happening because too many people rely on them.

I'd hate to see the family dynamics that take place after a toddler was made to walk all day for 6 or 7 (or more) days because they did not have a stroller. Can you imagine that one? Yikes. And I suppose no stroller means no place to put an infant. So who carries the baby? Dad? (not likely) Mom? (probably) :rolleyes:

Mawg

Someone posted an interesting comment that in the 70’s and 80’s we made our kids walk and did not bring strollers and that we could look at the pictures to prove it. So I did. I thought what was interesting was the lack of toddlers in the pictures, there were strollers, not a lot, but I really did not see many little kids.

I think back in the 70’s and 80’s 7 day family vacations to Disney World with children under 6 were rarer than they are today. People didn’t fly back then, it was too expensive. We took road trips across the US to Wally World, but we waited until our kids where over the age of 6, who can stand more than 3 days in a car with screaming kids and diaper changes and breast feeding. The attitude back then was also, why would I spend that kind of money on a vacation that the kid will never remember.

Times have changed, we spend more on vacations, we fly more and we take our very young ones on more vacations that they will barely remember for our own enjoyment of seeing their faces.

I think there are more strollers in the parks today because there are more children under the age of 6 in the parks today. It would be interesting to see some age statistics then and now.

Disney61

Earlier in the week a wallet was stolen at the Indiana Jones show and now a stroller has gone missing....Hollywood Studios is becoming the rough part of town :eek:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Someone posted an interesting comment that in the 70’s and 80’s we made our kids walk and did not bring strollers and that we could look at the pictures to prove it. So I did. I thought what was interesting was the lack of toddlers in the pictures, there were strollers, not a lot, but I really did not see many little kids.

I think back in the 70’s and 80’s 7 day family vacations to Disney World with children under 6 were rarer than they are today. People didn’t fly back then, it was too expensive. We took road trips across the US to Wally World, but we waited until our kids where over the age of 6, who can stand more than 3 days in a car with screaming kids and diaper changes and breast feeding. The attitude back then was also, why would I spend that kind of money on a vacation that the kid will never remember.

Times have changed, we spend more on vacations, we fly more and we take our very young ones on more vacations that they will barely remember for our own enjoyment of seeing their faces.

I think there are more strollers in the parks today because there are more children under the age of 6 in the parks today. It would be interesting to see some age statistics then and now.

Interestingly enough.. your theory is the exact opposite of my childhood. My first visit was at the age of 4.. and we flew to FL :) Later trips we started driving. Those earlier trips we would do magic kingdom club so we had the 'all you eat and play' style of trips where everything but alcohol was included. We stayed a Contemp, then Poly twice, and then Beach club.

Now I stay at values.. drive.. and pay out of pocket :)

And my youngest went to WDW at age 3.. and all she had was an umbrella stroller.

Raven66

We took our daughter for the first time when she was 5. We did not take a stroller with us but decided if she wanted one we would rent it. That child wanted nothing to do with a stroller. We would ask her if she was tired and wanted one and she would say no, she was a big girl. We asked every day and every day she said nope. Now that she is 15 she wishes she was able to fit in one because that is just entirely too much walking.:lol:

Uncle Lupe

Smaller items could be easily concealed in other bags and there would be no effective way to prohibit theft or track down the culprit. A stroller thief, however, would have to hightail it out of the park before the owner realizes that it's been stolen because there's only one guest exit and a large stroller would be extremely difficult to hide or disguise. I'm also willing to bet that I could make it to the turnstiles on foot faster than a culprit with a stroller.:

Ever had your car stolen? Most situations the authorities will find what's left of it someday. Nothing against law enforcement. That would be a needle in a haystack.

A person doing this for a living would be long gone before you had any idea what was going on. Also working as a team. One keeping track of you the others doing the deed.

They wait for a mark, watch them enter ride line far enough out of sight and boom off they go with stroller and all. It would look more natural to take the stroller, not just the contents. If you think they would not use their children to help pull of the crime, maybe we just live in different worlds. I would like to move to yours.

Has any CM ever said, "Is that stroller yours?" Or "Sir you grabbed your camera but forgot your stroller!":rolleyes:

I could see taking the stroller to less crowed area and ditching it but the more time you spend in the park the more likely of getting caught. As far as running to the park gate after you get off the ride and cannot find your stroller. What is the shortest amount of total time you spent on a indoor ride or show during a normal park day with no fastpass? I think they would have plenty of time.

The system in place relies totally on honesty, no checks or safeguards.

I could not imagine being pulled from the magic in this way. I got mad because every pin station I shopped I found empty cards. The thieves are everywhere.

OP... Glad to read that the stroller was returned and your trip was not ruined.

drew81

I'd hate to see the family dynamics that take place after a toddler was made to walk all day for 6 or 7 (or more) days because they did not have a stroller. Can you imagine that one? Yikes. And I suppose no stroller means no place to put an infant. So who carries the baby? Dad? (not likely) Mom? (probably) :rolleyes:

I agree about toddlers. I meant more of the older kids being pushed around in them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom