'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

LittleBuford

He also tells us multiple times that he is gay, and yet he is twisting himself into knots to complain over and over again about the gay content (5 minutes or less) in a movie he has told us he has not seen and will not see. Something is not adding up here.
Oh, I believe him when he says he’s gay, but I agree that something isn’t adding up.

jeangreyforever

Someone from “Gen Z” knows who Haley Mills and Ann Miller were? That seems………..interesting……or something.
I can spell Hayley Mills' name correctly for starters. Does this forum make it a mission to speculate on the identities of every member or is it just me that's the lucky target? I'm not surprised you received a like from the one individual who has consistently tried to harass me on here though.

TP2000

He also tells us multiple times that he is gay, and yet he is twisting himself into knots to complain over and over again about the gay content (5 minutes or less) in a movie he has told us he has not seen and will not see. Something is not adding up here.

Diversity of thought, perhaps? Not willing to obey the Smart Set who rushes to redefine stuff every 6 to 12 months?

Prince-1

I can spell Hayley Mills' name correctly for starters. Does this forum make it a mission to speculate on the identities of every member or is it just me that's the lucky target? I'm not surprised you received a like from the one individual who has consistently tried to harass me on here though.

Sorry but asking for proof for something you posted isn’t harassment. It’s calling out people who post things that are demonstrably false. And if it makes you feel better I will like one of your posts.

brb1006

I hope they knock it out of the park with this one, and if they don’t, I really hope we don’t see the same sort of ideological reaching and tub-thumping that has marred this thread.
Heck, I can already sense The Star characters and Valentino the Goat to become popular merchandise opportunities and a popular Christmas gift.

jeangreyforever

Your issue seems very clear to me based on how quickly you typecasted me because I like Hayley Mills and Ann Miller. You can't seem to believe that there are individuals out there who don't fit very rigid boxes and stereotypes. It is indeed possible for someone from the current generation to know that there were people who existed past 1990. Similarly, it's possible that the entire gay community isn't a monolith. I think a lot of straights don't realize that LGBTQIA is really not as united a front as it's made out to be. The bigots group them all together because they hate what every letter stands for, but I've seen so much division between the letters. There are many old-fashioned gays and lesbians who cannot understand transgender people and think they're self-hating homophobes who would rather change their gender than come out. When Elliot Page came out as trans, there was a significant amount of lesbian outcry on Twitter who were ed off that they had lost one of their own since Elliot Page previously identified as a lesbian.

TP2000

Your issue seems very clear to me based on how quickly you typecasted me because I like Hayley Mills and Ann Miller. You can't seem to believe that there are individuals out there who don't fit very rigid boxes and stereotypes. It is indeed possible for someone from the current generation to know that there were people who existed past 1990. Similarly, it's possible that the entire gay community isn't a monolith. I think a lot of straights don't realize that LGBTQIA is really not as united a front as it's made out to be. The bigots group them all together because they hate what every letter stands for, but I've seen so much division between the letters. There are many old-fashioned gays and lesbians who cannot understand transgender people and think they're self-hating homophobes who would rather change their gender than come out. When Elliot Page came out as trans, there was a significant amount of lesbian outcry on Twitter who were ed off that they had lost one of their own since Elliot Page previously identified as a lesbian.

Stop making sense! It ruins the funny conversations here. ;)

LittleBuford

There are many old-fashioned gays and lesbians who cannot understand transgender people and think they're self-hating homophobes who would rather change their gender than come out.
I’m not sure why you deem that “old-fashioned”. I’m 40, which I suppose makes me almost middle-aged (yikes!), and I very much stand with my trans brothers and sisters. What’s the sense in getting angry with someone for being who they are?

jeangreyforever

I dunno. You’re a new member and a number of members have been recently banned for a bunch of heinous comments. And then we see a bunch of new members mysteriously appearing. So, I dunno. I’m not a detective or anything. Just seems……..interesting. That’s all.
I've had an account here for a year or so. I can't even remember when I created it because I only would visit every few months and like certain posts. The lack of any interesting new Disney content kept me from bothering. I only started posting now because of Andor, but I'm feeling very little motivation to stay based on the reception I've received from numerous users trying to pigeonhole me as this or that based on their narrow-minded criteria. I'm not surprised to hear this forum's had a problem with hate speech but I can certainly think of one offending user I'd add to that list. Thank you for explaining though.

CaptainAmerica

Has anyone ever told you you’d make a good politician?
frozen-olaf.gif

jeangreyforever

I’m not sure why you deem that “old-fashioned”. I’m 40, which I suppose makes me almost middle-aged (yikes!), and I very much stand with my trans brothers and sisters. What’s the sense in getting angry with someone for being who they are?
What I'm not sure about is why you somehow viewed that statement as applying to you! Old-fashioned doesn't even mean older in age. There are young people who can have old-fashioned views, or old souls. There are older people who might be the most young at heart and savvy with contemporary media and jargon. My point is that there are some gays and lesbians who view the transgender community as an attack on their existence. Some of them feel they had finally reached mainstream acceptance in society and weren't being viewed negatively anymore, but the emergence of the trans community meant that all the old stereotypes started to prop back up and Republicans were conflating the two groups again. I don't believe that the majority of the gay and lesbian community feels this way (or I hope not anyway), but the sad truth is that there are many who do believe this. Similarly, I've seen gays and lesbians who don't believe in bisexuality and think it's just a copout to fully coming out. Lots of straight people have that view as well. My point is that one community, one especially as diverse as the full LGBTQIA community, is not a monolith and should never be treated as such.

jeangreyforever

I'm not a total expert on the beach movies, I only have hazy memories of them from my youth. But I now have them on DVD and would play them at the family beach house for my young nephews years ago. They're perfect for summer movie nights! But I just Googled, and Annette was pregnant in 1965 for filming of How To Stuff A Wild Bikini, and rather obviously Annette was the only girl to not wear a bikini for that one! She wore capri pants and blousey tops for the entire movie.

how-to-stuff-a-wild-bikini-original-mexican-lobby-card-annette-funicello-e1438242930819.jpg

I'll cut out the middle man and offer you this, because this thread deserves a little wholesome entertainment! 😁

Speaking of wholesome, I find it quite telling that we can't type the lyrics, or even the title, of Jaboukie's latest song in this thread without being wildly obscene and likely banned from this website for life. Nor do I feel comfortable linking to the music video, or even any of the industry media pieces that discussed his new song. :(

There had to be another option for the voice of Ethan Clade, but the Burbank execs hired him instead. Very interesting choice, to say the least.

I've seen them playing on TV but tbh even for Annette, I haven't felt enough reason to bother to watch them. Maybe for Frankie Avalon though lol. And wow, Annette really is overdressed in that promotional pic. I suppose fans would be so used to seeing her mostly covered that it might not have been as jarring that she's got pants on as well.

And thank you for the video! It was a wonderful watch. Annette truly seems ageless there.

I looked up the voice actor after he was mentioned here but after a cursory glance, I decided I'd probably be better of not looking any longer lol. I don't even want to imagine what the song title is called but he seems like a very niche figure in the music industry. Very fringe. For me, the biggest surprise besides his content, is that they chose a 28-year old to voice a teenager. I know that's normal for the princesses but for the non-princess characters, Disney generally does hire actual teens to play teens for authenticity. For this character, I would figure they would have looked for an unknown gay youth to play a gay youth.

LittleBuford

What I'm not sure about is why you somehow viewed that statement as applying to you! Old-fashioned doesn't even mean older in age. There are young people who can have old-fashioned views, or old souls. There are older people who might be the most young at heart and savvy with contemporary media and jargon. My point is that there are some gays and lesbians who view the transgender community as an attack on their existence. Some of them feel they had finally reached mainstream acceptance in society and weren't being viewed negatively anymore, but the emergence of the trans community meant that all the old stereotypes started to prop back up and Republicans were conflating the two groups again. I don't believe that the majority of the gay and lesbian community feels this way (or I hope not anyway), but the sad truth is that there are many who do believe this. Similarly, I've seen gays and lesbians who don't believe in bisexuality and think it's just a copout to fully coming out. Lots of straight people have that view as well. My point is that one community, one especially as diverse as the full LGBTQIA community, is not a monolith and should never be treated as such.
I agree with your overall point. It’s your framing that I didn’t quite understand, and while I still don’t think “old-fashioned” really characterises it well (in the UK, for example, there is widespread anti-trans feeling even among otherwise very “progressive” people), I thank you for clarifying what you meant.

TP2000

All valid stuff! And I agree with almost every word. (I have a few different nuances on the trans community, but not worth digging into)

This relates to Strange World because there's now this monolith of thought by many in Hollywood and corporate media that any objection to gay content in a children's animated movie equals objection to gay content as a whole, and thus the person who objects to it is a bigot and hateful person to be scorned.

When in reality, the average parents of 8 year old boys who paused on buying tickets to Strange World are probably not bigoted hate-mongers. They just have reservations about introducing homosexuality to their children at that young age, among many other mature topics. They'd likely be more comfortable with it at 14 or older though. Or perhaps not at all? That's their sacred right as parents to instill cultural values in their children; hence the dramatically worse box office performance of Strange World in majority Catholic countries, for example.

I have no opposition to gay characters in PG-13 or R rated movies, like the recent Marvel films that have gay characters. I still think there's work to be done to make those gay characters more natural and organic to the storyline, but the script writers are improving there. Or they are getting better at managing directives from HR.

But I do have opposition to gay characters in PG rated family animated films like Lightyear or Strange World. It's pushing the envelope too hard at too young an age demographic, and it's a bad business decision. And yet I'm still a gay man after coming to that conclusion. Diversity!

CaptainAmerica

Totally agree with that, but Robin Williams and Bob Saget were all well-known household celebrity names by then, particularly Robin Williams. I still think of Mork & Mindy first when ever anyone says his name, then his huge catalog of wonderful films and funny appearances on Johnny Carson fill in the rest for me.

Jaboukie is a minor C List celebrity who very few Americans know. So when you read his raunchy song lyrics or his equally raunchy interview answers, it's shocking. And a really weird casting decision considering many parents are already on the defensive with Disney's latest family cartoons.

Out of curiosity @CaptainAmerica, have you read his song lyrics and/or seen his latest music video?
Yeah, he's gross, but I came to terms with the idea of separating the art from the artist (or one piece of art by the same artist from another) a long time ago. I have no problem watching The Cosby Show with my kids, or rewatching an old Chris Benoit wrestling match. Pretty much every celebrity is degenerate at best and abhorrent at worst so I need to sever some things in order to be at peace with consuming any pop culture whatsoever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom