'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

TwilightZone

American parents were reportedly talking about Ethan Clade on Facebook and parenting Social Media outlets and the news about Ethan was spreading,
There was something else about the voice actor saying something I saw more of online that probably turned away some people.

1670986106966.png

Vegas Disney Fan

I think it's too late for that. They've now conditioned their audience (intentionally or not) to except certain releases at specific times of year, or to be released within so many months.

I used to be someone who saw Disney movies in theaters and buy the DVDs all the time. Now I don't. That's partially because the quality of their home video releases tanked a long time ago (no more 5-10 hours of bonus features that's for sure), but also because it makes no sense to pay a premium to watch something that I've already pre-paid for in a sense.

Disney+ guarantees that they get a certain monthly amount from me, but not much, if anything, more.

That’s the danger of this strategy, if releasing movies quickly on D+ is driving subs it would likely do the opposite and drive away subs if they ended the practice.

Your second and third paragraph described us, and probably millions of other families, to a tee.

I just don't get how Disney+ works long term, it never pencils out for me in my pea-sized brain. Spending $180 Million for Strange World, or $250 Million for Wakanda Forever, doesn't help the Disney+ business case either.

I can’t see the long term strategy either, 200 million subs at $10 a month is $24 billion a year, a boatload of money but when you factor in Chapeks statement about spending $30 billion a year on D+ content and then factor in losing a few billion a year in theatrical sales, a few billion a year in video sales, etc its a massive loser.

The income is there, it’s the spending that makes no sense. If it’s necessary to spend like drunken sailors to get subscribers it would seem just as likely you’d have to keep spending like drunken sailors to keep them.

_caleb

That’s the danger of this strategy, if releasing movies quickly on D+ is driving subs it would likely do the opposite and drive away subs if they ended the practice.

Your second and third paragraph described us, and probably millions of other families, to a tee.

I can’t see the long term strategy either, 200 million subs at $10 a month is $24 billion a year, a boatload of money but when you factor in Chapeks statement about spending $30 billion a year on D+ content and then factor in losing a few billion a year in theatrical sales, a few billion a year in video sales, etc its a massive loser.

The income is there, it’s the spending that makes no sense. If it’s necessary to spend like drunken sailors to get subscribers it would seem just as likely you’d have to keep spending like drunken sailors to keep them.
Don’t miss what that actually means. Not only is Disney bringing in $24B from subscriptions, they’re getting tons of user data and direct access to living rooms. I believe this is what Disney is going to monetize, if they can keep the ship afloat while they figure it out.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Don’t miss that that actually means. Not only is Disney bringing in $24B from subscriptions, they’re getting tons of user data and direct access to living rooms. I believe this is what Disney is going to monetize, if they can keep the ship afloat while they figure it out.

it makes me wonder if adding commercials was always the intent, offer a premium service at a loss and then transition to a lessor ad based service with a large enough subscriber base you can charge advertisers top dollar.

_caleb

it makes me wonder if adding commercials was always the intent, offer a premium service at a loss and then transition to a lessor ad based service with a large enough subscriber base you can charge advertisers top dollar.

“This new tier will likely help expand Disney’s overall presence in that advertising adds even more data to the mix of information about viewers and content preferences. Serving ads for products and services that are of interest to viewers will be more engaging and more effective,” Parks Associates president and chief marketing officer Elizabeth Parks explained to TheWrap. “Likewise, helping marketers reach a more targeted audience can help [over the top] services to justify higher ad prices based on documented delivery and results.”

lazyboy97o

Don’t miss what that actually means. Not only is Disney bringing in $24B from subscriptions, they’re getting tons of user data and direct access to living rooms. I believe this is what Disney is going to monetize, if they can keep the ship afloat while they figure it out.
Disney thought they were going to monetize visitor data with Next Gen but that didn’t quite work out as planned.

Animaniac93-98

Disney thought they were going to monetize visitor data with Next Gen but that didn’t quite work out as planned.

This company used to be a lot better at having loss leaders that indirectly supported other revenue streams, but then again it didn't cost them billions of dollars to stock Disneyland's "One of a Kind" Shop.

GimpYancIent

The only part I disagree with there is the "sending it straight to Disney+" strategy.

They spent $180 Million on this film, and apparently had already written it off a month ago by barely marketing it.

They partly got themselves into this mess of diminishing box office returns by sending these big budget theater releases to Disney+ too quickly. They've got to stop that, it makes no sense financially.

Better to take the huge loss on Strange World that was already created in the marketplace, and just keep it to a 90 day arrival window on their 8 bucks a month streaming service. Their audience has to stop expecting to see these big budget films for practically free mere weeks after their release. In my humble opinion, of course. ;)
Disney marketing did what it could with what it had to market and there were plenty of teasers and trailers. The lack of marketing statement is not true.

TwilightZone

Disney marketing did what it could with what it had to market and there were plenty of teasers and trailers. The lack of marketing statement is not true.
Teasers and trailers are okay but Disney typically has more advertising than just that. Off the top of my head strange world:

• Had an odd lack of non-online merch
  • No cereal box tie in (Avatar, Lightyear, and Black Panther had one, haven't seen one for Strange World)
  • Lack of attractive meet n greet or other photo op in the parks (the cardboard set piece is NOT instagrammable)
  • An almost invisible amount of commercials on tv, apps, social media, etc.
  • Very few animation oriented folks being barely aware it existed (and I have not just seen this here, I've seen it on twitter, youtube, reddit, tumblr, etc.)
  • No mcdonald's, kinder egg, frozen food box, Subway, etc. tie in

Sharon&Susan

D+ didn't help it but the physical media market was dying already. New cars no longer come with a CD player built in, DVD players are hardly being made or sold, etc. It is just the way things go when it comes to technology.
The Virgin Disney: "A new disk version of Muppet Christmas Carol with "When Love is Gone" wouldn't sell very well."

The chad Universal: "4k The Trouble With Harry and Howard the Duck lol."

jeangreyforever

The Virgin Disney: "A new disk version of Muppet Christmas Carol with "When Love is Gone" wouldn't sell very well."

The chad Universal: "4k The Trouble With Harry and Howard the Duck lol."
Apparently Iger's not a fan of extended editions hence why under his regime, Disney movies never got their extended versions released on Blu-Ray or 4K. That's why we never got Pocahontas on Blu-Ray with If I Never Knew You. Same reasons why the Blu-Rays of the Muppet Christmas Carol and Bedknobs and Broomsticks were the theatrical editions. The Lion King lost the Platinum Edition bonus song as well (although that was for the best) and only Beauty and the Beast retained its special edition but I think they got rid of that for the 4K as well.

TP2000

A little bird landed on my bar cart this evening and told me some news.

Apparently the young man who voiced Ethan Clade this November in Strange World is also a singer, and quite vocal on Social Media. His name is Jaboukie Young-White and he is openly gay, as most of us now know. In September, just weeks before Strange World opened in theaters, he released a new dance club song that has a double-meaning title that I can't repeat, and obscene and raunchy lyrics that I can't repeat. His music video includes sexually provocative dance moves that would have gotten me thrown off the dance floor at The Velvet Turtle if I had ever dared try them in my youth. o_O 🕺

I will not link to the video or the lyrics. But Google the words Jaboukie new song if you dare and aren't at work.

This song was apparently what set many parents into high alert online over Strange World in November. He's the young star of the movie, after all.

Believe it or not, I'm not a total prude. I don't think he should have not released the obscene and raunchy song, if that's where his artistic talents in life truly lie. I get it that times change and many young musicians feel the need to openly discuss sex, raunch, and profanity in songs now. But if Jaboukie felt he needed to release that song, he should have perhaps waited for a month or two after his Disney animated film is released at Thanksgiving and marketed (poorly) at children.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as a piece of this baffling box office puzzle. Apparently many parents were discussing it online in parenting groups a month ago, even if it never got brought up here by most of us childless adults. (Or if it did get brought up here, it was in one of those posts that was quickly deleted)

Last edited:

TP2000

And now that I said that above, can you imagine what Burbank execs thought as they watched his music video on YouTube about seven or eight weeks before Strange World premiered?

Even if the Burbank execs can't/won't admit it in public, I have to believe some of them at least blanched at the lyrics and dance moves from their new young star and said "Aw... shoot!" 🤣

LittleBuford

A little bird landed on my bar cart this evening and told me some news.

Apparently the young man who voiced Ethan Clade this November in Strange World is also an actor and a singer, and quite vocal on Social Media. His name is Jaboukie Young-White and he is openly gay, as most of us now know. In September, just weeks before Strange World opened in theaters, he released a new dance club song that has a double-meaning title that I can't repeat, and obscene and raunchy lyrics that I can't repeat. His music video includes sexually provocative dance moves that would have gotten me thrown off the dance floor at The Velvet Turtle if I had ever dared try them in my youth. o_O

I will not link to the video or the lyrics. But Google the words Jaboukie new song if you dare and aren't at work.

This song was apparently what set many parents into high alert online over Strange World in November. He's the young star of the movie, after all.

Believe it or not, I'm not a total prude. I don't think he should have not released the obscene and raunchy song, if that's where his artistic talents in life truly lie. I get it that times change and many young musicians feel the need to discuss sex, raunch, and profanity openly in songs now. But if Jaboukie felt he needed to release that song, he should have perhaps waited for a month or two after his Disney animated film is released at Thanksgiving and marketed (poorly) at children.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as a piece of this baffling box office puzzle. Apparently many parents were discussing it online in parenting groups a month ago, even if it never got brought up here by most of us childless adults. (Or if it did get brought up here, it was in one of those posts that was quickly deleted)
And Demi Moore had been in controversial sex scenes and posed nude while pregnant (to much disapproval) before Disney cast her as Esmeralda.

The number of parents who know or care about these things isn’t enough to make a film fail. Yes, I’m sure there has been a great deal of chatter in certain (principally online) circles, just as there was among those parents who decried the Harry Potter books and films as a gateway to witchcraft. But such people are a vocal minority, and it would be unwise to extrapolate very much from their complaints.

TP2000

And Demi Moore had been in controversial sex scenes and posed nude while pregnant (to much disapproval) before Disney cast her as Esmeralda.

And Julie Andrews did a topless scene 15 years after starring in Mary Poppins. Stuff happens when it comes to "art".

The number of parents who know or care about these things isn’t enough to make a film fail. Yes, I’m sure there has been a great deal of chatter in certain (principally online) circles, just as there was among those parents who decried the Harry Potter books and films as a gateway to witchcraft. But such people are a vocal minority, and it would be unwise to extrapolate very much from their complaints.

Which was my point. It is another piece of the larger puzzle why this film failed.

And in certain parenting circles, it set off all the alarms and confirmed their fears about where Disney family films were now headed. We weren't talking about it here, but parents knew about it elsewhere.

It wasn't the only reason for the film's massive failure, but it certainly helped hammer a few nails in the coffin. I find it interesting the timing for the most part. He couldn't have waited a month or two after the movie opened to release his raunchy sex song?

LittleBuford

And Julie Andrews did a topless scene 15 years after starring in Mary Poppins. Stuff happens when it comes to "art".
That misses the point I was trying to make, and indeed moves the goalposts of your own argument. We’re discussing what happens before a film’s release, not after.

TP2000

That misses the point I was trying to make, and indeed moves the goalposts of your own argument. We’re discussing what happens before a film’s release, not after.

I guess my point was that Jaboukie should have waited until after Strange World opened in theaters to release his raunchy song. What was the point of doing that barely two months before he stars in a Disney film at Thanksgiving? Shock value? Career advancement for the shock value?

Whatever his motivation was, I find it to be ill-advised.

If raunchy sex songs for trampy dance clubs are your true artistic calling, wait a few months after you cash your Disney cartoon checks to sing them. I don't blame the average Ohio mom of an 8 year old for being alarmed at that music video.

Heppenheimer

And now that I said that above, can you imagine what Burbank execs thought as they watched his music video on YouTube about seven or eight weeks before Strange World premiered?

Even if the Burbank execs can't/won't admit it in public, I have to believe some of them at least blanched at the lyrics and dance moves from their new young star and said "Aw... shoot!" 🤣
Maybe they felt something slightly akin to Warner Bros. execs reading the latest headline about Ezra Miller?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom