'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

LittleBuford

Anything, if you vote a certain way people assume you’re…, if you go to a certain church people assume you’re…, if you live in a certain state people assume you’re.., if you dislike a bad movie that has “x” in it people assume you’re….

In some cases it’s true, in other cases it has absolutely nothing to do with “x” but people still assume you’re guilty by association.
We’re not dealing with such assumptions here, though. People have openly expressed the kinds of views that I paraphrased above. Would you not consider those views homophobic?

Vegas Disney Fan

That has nothing to do with his post, which was suggesting that there has been no actual homophobia in this thread, or with my reply, which was underscoring the fact that there has been—and continues to be—plenty of it.

We’re not dealing with such assumptions here, though. People have openly expressed the kinds of views that I paraphrased above. Would you not consider those views homophobic?

Guess it’s a perception issue, I didn’t interpret his post as “no actual homophobia”, as I said there’s plenty of actual homophobia, that doesn’t mean people don’t also jump to homophobia accusations when it isn’t so clear.

LittleBuford

Guess it’s a perception issue, I didn’t interpret his post as “no actual homophobia”, as I said there’s plenty of actual homophobia, that doesn’t mean people don’t also jump to homophobia accusations when it isn’t so clear.
I took him at his word and also took into account his own posting history.

I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but there are times when seeming bigotry is indeed just bigotry. This thread is full of it, even after all the deletions.

Californian Elitist

Anything, if you vote a certain way people assume you’re…, if you go to a certain church people assume you’re…, if you live in a certain state people assume you’re.., if you dislike a bad movie that has “x” in it people assume you’re….

In some cases it’s true, in other cases it has absolutely nothing to do with “x” but people still assume you’re guilty by association.
There have been no assumptions, though. I’m referring to this specific thread, not general examples.

Vegas Disney Fan

I took him at his word and also took into account his own posting history.

I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but there are times when seeming bigotry is indeed just bigotry. This thread is full of it, even after all the deletions.

I can’t keep track of who’s who and I just got off a cruise with no internet so I didn’t see the deletions and my interpretation is purely off previous experience.

LittleBuford

I can’t keep track of who’s who and I just got off a cruise with no internet so I didn’t see the deletions and my interpretation is purely off previous experience.
If it helps put things into context, the rhetoric got so nasty the other day that one of the conservative contributors here felt the need to PM me to disavow what one particular poster was saying. It was a very kind gesture on his part.

Vegas Disney Fan

If it helps put things into context, the rhetoric got so nasty the other day that one of the conservative contributors here felt the need to PM me to disavow what one particular poster was saying. It was a very kind gesture on his part.
Sorry to hear that, it’s sad how ugly the internet can get, DCL was wonderful and no one had the time or energy to be nasty to each other, how the world should be.

Heppenheimer

I meant to respond to this. Maybe Disney’s going through a wave? This has happened in the past before.

The last excellent movie from Disney/Pixar is Coco, in my opinion.
I had to look up the timelines of the films to see if I agreed... and yes, it would seem I do. Kind of a drought, isn't it?

I would put Encanto in a "very good, not quite excellent" category. I liked Luca, and will probably watch it again some day, but the rest were all one-and-done for me.

Dare I say that Disney should put out feelers to see if John Lasseter wants to come back? Maybe credit him under a pseudonym, like Lass Johneter to avoid a public backlash. Nobody will ever figure it out!

Vegas Disney Fan

I’m glad you had fun! I’d like to experience DCL myself one day.
It was my first and I now understand why people say DCL is Disney how Disney used to be, the CMs were all amazing, the service was top notch, the food was very good, the shows were amazing, the cleanliness was amazing, the guests were fantastic…

It reminded me why I love Disney, it also made it more noticeable how far the parks have slipped over the last few years.

Californian Elitist

I had to look up the timelines of the films to see if I agreed... and yes, it would seem I do. Kind of a drought, isn't it?

I would put Encanto in a "very good, not quite excellent" category. I liked Luca, and will probably watch it again some day, but the rest were all one-and-done for me.

Dare I say that Disney should put out feelers to see if John Lasseter wants to come back? Maybe credit him under a pseudonym, like Lass Johneter to avoid a public backlash. Nobody will ever figure it out!
I would absolutely call this a drought, yes. The hits have been extremely few and far in between. Personally, I judge how much I enjoyed a film based on my desire to watch it again and how much I’d like to see it again. Coco is the only film within the last couple of years that I’ve seen multiple times, I believe.

Encanto started off strong, then it fell flat for me. I did a watch party with my friends and we all felt the same way; the movie has a strong beginning and a weak ending. To be very honest, folks on TikTok have made that film almost unbearable to watch now. One and done for me. I don’t necessarily have to watch Luca from start to finish again.

Given all that went down with Lasseter, I doubt he’ll be coming back at all!!

Californian Elitist

IMO I really responded to Soul as well
I need to rewatch Soul, at some point. I watched it with my family the day after Christmas in 2020. I didn’t know it at the time, but I had COVID and my symptoms had just begun, so I wasn’t feeling that great. Additionally, I immediately became annoyed when Joe turned into a cat. I thought to myself, yet another prominent black Disney character transforms into an animal. I tuned out after that, then focused again towards the ending.

jeangreyforever

Of the more recent crop, I’ve loved Onward and Luca.
I agree with you. I loved Luca and I enjoyed Onward a lot more than I thought I would considering I had very low expectations. That being said, even Pixar has lost its overall consistency.

As for Disney Animation itself, if more than the entire last decade of their movies was erased from existence, I would not shed a tear. The last movie of theirs I enjoyed was Meet the Robinsons but Lilo & Stitch was easily their last great movie.

LittleBuford

As for Disney Animation itself, if more than the entire last decade of their movies was erased from existence, I would not shed a tear. The last movie of theirs I enjoyed was Meet the Robinsons but Lilo & Stitch was easily their last great movie.
Oh, I disagree strongly. Excluding Strange World, which I can’t yet comment on, the only recent film I haven’t enjoyed is Raya and the Last Dragon. I would happily rewatch all the others.

erasure fan1

I meant to respond to this. Maybe Disney’s going through a wave? This has happened in the past before.

The last excellent movie from Disney/Pixar is Coco, in my opinion.
I'd agree. Coco was extremely good. For some reason Disney does go through ups and downs. We saw 4 all time classics in mermaid through lion king. Then some good and very average to not great films.
Of the more recent crop, I’ve loved Onward and Luca.
I thought both were ok, Luca was the better of the two. Each of them was missing that spark to make them great. Just like most of the resent offerings. They just seem to fall short every time.

jeangreyforever

I'd agree. Coco was extremely good. For some reason Disney does go through ups and downs. We saw 4 all time classics in mermaid through lion king. Then some good and very average to not great films.
Pocahontas has a much better reception in Europe and Asia. In some European countries, there isn't a Big 4 but a Big 5 including Pocahontas. For that matter, Hunchback also did much better overseas and has a much warmer reception there than in puritanical America.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom