'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

SuddenStorm

I still think marketing is what killed this film. No one new about it- the trailers didn't look good- and then most of the media coverage I saw centered around the gay stuff, which is gonna polarize audiences (for better or worse).

Disney needed to get ahead of the controversy by selling it as a 'must see' film that families should be anticipating. But that's not what they did. So when people finally did learn the movie exists it's because they're seeing articles focused on the gay kid, not the quality of film.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickEblu

I still think marketing is what killed this film. No one new about it- the trailers didn't look good- and then most of the media coverage I saw centered around the gay stuff, which is gonna polarize audiences (for better or worse).

Disney needed to get ahead of the controversy by selling it as a 'must see' film that families should be anticipating. But that's not what they did. So when people finally did learn the movie exists it's because they're seeing articles focused on the gay kid, not the quality of film.

Oh that’s right completely forgot about the poor marketing. I don’t think it’s the main reason it failed though.

RobWDW1971

I've run many marketing research groups over the years and the sacred rule is "When your customers speak, actually listen."

Go on Rotten Tomatoes and read the thousands of audience reviews and Twitter comments from parents and you will hear all you need to know.

The more interesting question is what the long-term impact of this strategy will have on the Disney brand with parents of young children.

Disney has had an incredibly unique brand that is blindly trusted by parents, but that is a delicate relationship that has taken decades to build and potentially only a few years to dissolve. Every action has a reaction.

LittleBuford

Well, we do know Strange World made zero dollars in China because of the gay stuff, not the marketing. They didn't block it just because it was so bad.
Disney would be very unwise to let Chinese censorship dictate its entertainment offerings.

As I said, time will tell. I believe queer representation in Disney is here to stay, and I don’t believe it will prove a reputational or financial liability in the long term. Feel free to tag me in five years or so if I turn out to be wrong.

mickEblu

Disney would be very unwise to let Chinese censorship dictate its entertainment offerings.

As I said, time will tell. I believe queer representation in Disney is here to stay, and I don’t believe it will prove a reputational or financial liability in the long term. Feel free to tag me in five years or so if I turn out to be wrong.

You re going to have to define queer reorientation. If you mean like what we see in PG movies like Strange World or Lightyear, I’ll take you up on that bet.

Chi84

Premium Member
Society changes, albeit slowly. We are all much more accepting now than in the 50’s. When I was young, a movie like Wakanda would never have been made, and people would have had no trouble justifying their prejudices.

It’s hard to sit back and wait, but Disney is headed in the right direction. Maybe they will lose some fans (while gaining others) for the time being. But the more people see all types of relationships, the more normal they will appear to them. Maybe it will take some time, but “dinosaurs” always go extinct in the long run.

mickEblu

Society changes, albeit slowly. We are all much more accepting now than in the 50’s. When I was young, a movie like Wakanda would never have been made, and people would have had no trouble justifying their prejudices.

It’s hard to sit back and wait, but Disney is headed in the right direction. Maybe they will lose some fans (while gaining others) for the time being. But the more people see all types of relationships, the more normal they will appear to them. Maybe it will take some time, but “dinosaurs” always go extinct in the long run.

Things change but I believe that people will always be protective when it comes to their kids. That, I don’t see changing. Also change isn’t always good. Some things get better and some things get worse.

Last edited:

jeangreyforever

The more interesting question is what the long-term impact of this strategy will have on the Disney brand with parents of young children.

Disney has had an incredibly unique brand that is blindly trusted by parents, but that is a delicate relationship that has taken decades to build and potentially only a few years to dissolve. Every action has a reaction.
This is right on the money. I saw with reactions to Turning Red that a lot of Disney's goodwill with parents has been lost and that didn't even feature a gay character. The Facebook moms group were all over this movie, explaining how they used to think they could put on any Disney movie for their kids and not have to worry about the content but now they can't do that anymore. Lightyear, Strange World, and possibly Wish will just further erode this trust.

The other thing is that decades ago, Disney had a monopoly on animation. That hasn't been the case since the 90s. Kids have so many other choices when it comes to content to watch, especially with streaming, that it's not an issue anymore if parents decide they don't want their kids watching Disney movies because there's always something else. And the box office results for 2022 show that considering how the Sonic and Minions movies ruled supreme when it comes to animated films.

jeangreyforever

That's actually a good point. And while someone could make the moral argument that Disney is taking the 'high road' by not yielding and adapting the film to China- the fact remains that China is a source of box office revenue and Disney has two major resorts there, so maintaining cultural relevance in China is kinda important.
Not to mention Star Wars has been a dud in China and they've been increasingly blocking Marvel. I don't see Disney going out of their way to antagonize China further and have their animated movies, whether WDAS or Pixar movies, blocked for much longer because of objectionable content. They'll want to keep some foothold there for their parks if nothing else.

SuddenStorm

Not to mention Star Wars has been a dud in China and they've been increasingly blocking Marvel. I don't see Disney going out of their way to antagonize China further and have their animated movies, whether WDAS or Pixar movies, blocked for much longer because of objectionable content. They'll want to keep some foothold there for their parks if nothing else.

Exactly. DEI is important- but for Disney, so is making money. They will need to strike a balance- and if the DEI stuff is noticeably limiting the box office overseas that's something Disney will have to figure out.

mickEblu

Right and to create different versions of those WDAS and Pixar movies would be disingenuous to say the least.

Chi84

Premium Member
Things change but I believe that people will always be protective when it comes to their kids. That, I don’t see changing. Also change isn’t always good. Some things get better and some things get worse.
Don’t forget while extolling the virtues and sacred rights of parents that some of them are passing some pretty strong poison on to their kids. It can take generations to dilute.

Of course, people will always want to protect their children against things that are harmful - it’s the definition of what’s harmful that changes.

Californian Elitist

Exactly. China is also notorious for removing black actors and actresses from movie posters. It’s bigotry. They’re an extreme example.

Absolutely. Progress takes time, but Disney and other companies are moving along with the change and said progress, which is a good thing.

Californian Elitist

And do you notice how no one has mentioned the lesbian couple in Wakanda Forever?

Shouldn’t that tiny moment have ensured the film tanked, by the standards in here?
This is exactly what I was getting at earlier. Plenty of people took their young children to see Wakanda Forever, and I’ve yet to see any complaints about the lesbian scene. It keeps raking in money. This is partially why I refuse to believe homosexuality scenes are why Lightyear and Strange World tanked.

mickEblu

Don’t forget while extolling the virtues and sacred rights of parents that some of them are passing some pretty strong poison on to their kids. It can take generations to dilute.

Of course, people will always want to protect their children against things that are harmful - it’s the definition of what’s harmful that changes.

I don’t think a large part of this country will ever feel that the stuff we we saw in Strange World and Lightyear are necessary/ appropriate for a PG animated film. And you are exactly right parents pass down their values to their children and that will continue to happen in Middle America and many other parts of the country Which is why things aren’t going to change as much as you think. Unless Disney can find a way to start making these movies for 15 million dollars instead of 180.

Last edited:

TP2000

It's almost like being gay isn't always someone's defining personality trait.

Stop making sense! You'll upset people!

Being gay is not a personality trait at all.

But you reduced us in the gay community to that by claiming that Disney needs to be more "gaaaaayyyy" (your words), whatever the hell that means by adding all those extra vowels.

As a gay man who grew up in the last half of 20th century when being gay was literally a criminal act, I am more than extra vowels in the 21st century.

I am a person with my own thoughts and ideas and opinions and culture. Please respect my diversity, that's all I ask.

Whether a group is a minority doesn’t matter, but k.

Have a good evening.

It's not even close to my bedtime, so I'm still up this evening. :cool:

Gays are 10% of the American population. Blacks are 13% of the American population. Asians are 8% of the American population. So why on earth would anyone expect Blacks and Gays and Asians to make up 40% or more of movie characters, film after film, year after year? Not to mention we didn't even discuss the biggest minority group, the Latinx Latinos who make up about a third of the American population?

Knowing that I am in a minority, about 10%, of the human population... why would I expect that I be represented in more than 10% of Disney film characters? Especially films aimed at small children whose parents probably aren't ready to discuss homosexuality with their 8 year old son?

Leave the gay stuff to the PG-13 movies, and they can underperform in the marketplace all on their own because of it.

But at least Burbank execs and HR ladies can feel good about themselves, even if they just cost their company profit. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I don’t think a large part of this country will ever feel that the stuff we we saw in Strange World and Lightyear are necessary/ appropriate for a PG animated film. And you are exactly right parents pass down their values to their children and that will continue to happen in Middle America and many other parts of the country Which is why things aren’t going to change as much as you think. Unless Disney can find a a way to start making these movies for 15 million dollars instead of 180.
Right. But what I’m saying is that - however slowly - values can and do change. That’s why groups of people who were discriminated against for ages are now accepted and welcomed in Middle America.

mickEblu

Right. But what I’m saying is that - however slowly - values can and do change. That’s why groups of people who were discriminated against for ages are now accepted and welcomed in Middle America.

Sure and that’s because I’d like to think common sense always prevails. In this case I’d like to believe I’m on the side with common sense. I think it’s perfectly fair to ask that our children's movies be free of the content we saw in the last two Disney animated movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom