'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

CaptainMickey

I can't wait to hear all the excuses Disney will give to explain to investors why Puss in Boots beat BOTH the big Pixar theatrical release this year and the big Thanksgiving weekend Disney Feature Animation Box Office COMBINED. That was inconceivable a few years ago.

Phroobar

I hear the plot of Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is
Puss in Boots and his friend Kitty Softpaws must stop the Big Bad Wolf from getting the wishing stone. The Big Bad Wolf wants to reverse time so he can eat the three little pigs before their houses were built. They go back in time and Puss in Boots meets himself as a kitten but must sacrifice his younger self in order to save the pigs. Doing this erases himself from history and Kitty Softpaws becomes the new Puss in Boots for her new series on Universal+.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If not for this site, I still wouldn't have heard of it. It wasn't even (or barely was ) promoted on Disney +.
Oddly, D+ rarely advertises... anything. It's "currently playing" banner often doesn't contain all the new content. And only very recently have they added banners for movies currently in theaters and "coming soon to Disney+."

You'd think there would be a thumbnail button for a sizzle real of all the new content and what's coming.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oddly, D+ rarely advertises... anything. It's "currently playing" banner often doesn't contain all the new content. And only very recently have they added banners for movies currently in theaters and "coming soon to Disney+."

You'd think there would be a thumbnail button for a sizzle real of all the new content and what's coming.
Expect that to change with the new Ad tier.

Heppenheimer

I would have expected at least teasers or short "making of" segments. But no, nothing.

TP2000

Well, I'm glad we can all agree: Strange Worlds is a magnificent movie and it only bombed financially at the Box Office because it wasn't advertised anywhere!!

Which means either the Burbank executive team just forgot to market their latest $180 Million film at Thanksgiving, or they purposely decided not to market their $180 Million film at Thanksgiving.

I'm thinking there's more to the story than those two options, however.

TP2000

RobWDW1971

Which means either the Burbank executive team just forgot to market their latest $180 Million film at Thanksgiving, or they purposely decided not to market their $180 Million film at Thanksgiving.

I'm thinking there's more to the story than those two options, however.
The causation is backwards. The film was screened endlessly for preview audiences and once Disney realized they had a catastrophe on their hands, they tried to balance launching the film with hedging the financial pain.

The B CinemaScore shows that they were right and the film was rejected by audiences (especially adult men, which is a problem when you're pushing a father/son adventure story).

They are not releasing their marketing spend so we only have anecdotal evidence, but I saw endless commercials on TV during the Thanksgiving weekend (parades, NFL games, etc) and drove by no less than a half dozen billboards and bus shelters here in LA over the past couple of days.

So this idea that the movie bombed because of a passive marketing campaign is backward. The movie received a passive marketing campaign because they knew audiences were going to reject the film (for some reasons we cannot discuss here).

The record low CinemaScore, its historic post-opening drop, and lack of buzz once audiences saw it only reinforces their decision.

TwilightZone

I was watching the Big 3 of Thanksgiving programming (Macy's parade, dog show, and NFL) and the ads were running nonstop.
I saw that too! But after that...

season 4 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

maybe its cause I don't watch kids channels, but I know for a fact I saw more commercials for Lightyear overall (just for recent frame of reference) than Strange World.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Don't worry, it's not just you. ;)

It's hard to imagine a more clueless article.

"Set up to fail" implies a reason for the set-up, but the article doesn't provide a reason, nor actual proof it was set-up. It's a conspiracy without a plot.

Not to mention there was merchandise for SW, just not for McDonald's.

Not to mention: "There have been very little adds on television..." Little. Adds.

Not a site known for original reporting. It's just echoing -- poorly -- for their subscribers general chatter.

TP2000

"Set up to fail" implies a reason for the set-up, but the article doesn't provide a reason, nor actual proof it was set-up. It's a conspiracy without a plot.

I imagine the reason for the set-up is the exact reason that we aren't allowed to discuss here for some bizarre reason. It's the ultimate The Emperor Has No Clothes scenario, where we all know it but no one is allowed to say it. If the author of this article did come out and say it, he'd be blasted as a hate-monger and horrible bigot who must be fired from his blogging job immediately and cancelled from polite society forever.

Not to mention there was merchandise for SW, just not for McDonald's.

Which is the part I find the most damning. They designed and manufactured toys, books, and children's clothing for Strange World. Then purposely didn't send all that merch to stores at Christmas, and only offered it online in backwater search tabs. That's really weird!

I'm going to go out on a limb and risk having my post deleted or "reported" by someone with hurt feelings and say that the plot and story arcs of the main Strange World characters, namely Ethan and how his family responds to him, was shoehorned into the story a couple years ago after the story had already been developed. Then the Ethan character and all the supportive pablum the other characters heap on him doomed this movie with test audiences.

So Disney had no choice but to bury the film and take the loss. Pull the children's merch from distribution, run only a few ads in the few days before opening, and hope to God no one makes a big deal about it.

The fact that male audiences over age 25 hated this movie is proof that a big mistake was made with the story development for Strange World. This should have been the ultimate father/son adventure guy movie! The 2020's version of Cars and a big money maker in merch and boys t-shirts and a sequel. But obviously, it is not.

So in Burbank's defense, this is perhaps the best last minute scenario they could come up with for this film.
I don't envy them though. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine the reason for the set-up is the exact reason that we aren't allowed to discuss here for some bizarre reason. It's the ultimate The Emperor Has No Clothes scenario, where we all know it but no one is allowed to say it. If the author of this article did come out and say it, he'd be blasted as a hate-monger and horrible bigot who must be fired from his blogging job immediately and cancelled from polite society forever.

Which is the part I find the most damning. They designed and manufactured toys, books, and children's clothing for Strange World. Then purposely didn't send all that merch to stores at Christmas, and only offered it online in backwater search tabs. That's really weird!

I'm going to go out on a limb and risk having my post deleted or "reported" by someone with hurt feelings and say that the plot and story arcs of the main Strange World characters, namely Ethan and how his family responds to him, was shoehorned into the story a couple years ago after the story had already been developed. Then the Ethan character and all the supportive pablum the other characters heap on him doomed this movie with test audiences.

So Disney had no choice but to bury the film and take the loss. Pull the children's merch from distribution, run only a few ads in the few days before opening, and hope to God no one makes a big deal about it.

The fact that male audiences over age 25 hated this movie is proof that a big mistake was made with the story development for Strange World. This should have been the ultimate father/son guy movie! The 2020's version of Cars and a big money maker in merch and boys t-shirts and a sequel. But obviously, it is not.

So in Burbank's defense, this is perhaps the best scenario they could come up with for this film. I don't envy them though. :(
Is this a good time to mention that Willow has even worse audience reaction scores than SW? Is that allowed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom