'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That sounds like the same complaint Disney fans make about Annual Pass prices. And yet they still pay. ;)

Every other streaming service offers premier, first-run movie content at a premium. I had to pay Amazon Prime extra for the privilege of watching Ford Vs. Ferrari last month, and I only had 48 hours access to it. And that movie is three years old! (And wasn't as good as I had hoped.)

Disney should do the same with their mega-budget films like Lightyear, Strange World, etc.
Not correct, Netflix does not offer first run content at a premium, its an SVOD (Subscription Video on Demand) only. This is the same with AppleTV+.

Amazon Prime is a PVOD (Premium Video on Demand also know as Transactional Video on Demand) provider for other studios, Apple iTunes store is the same. For its own content, Amazon Originals, its all included with the subscription at no extra cost, making it also a SVOD. So you get all Amazon Originals with your Prime subscription, not paying any extra, making it like Netflix and AppleTV+ in that regard. So think of Amazon Prime as a hybrid of different VOD models.

And it should be added that Amazon just spent over $500M to produce Rings of Power, which it gave away for free to all Prime subscribers.

Disney+ is an SVOD, not an PVOD. It tried the PVOD experiment with Premier Access, we'll see if Iger brings that back or not. But Disney+ will always be SVOD first and foremost.

Now to add even more complexity into this both Netflix and Disney+ introduced an Ad model. So that should help with offsetting costs as its been reported that at least 25% of all D+ subs will go with the Ad tier.

But the point is that no not every streaming service offers content at a premium.

TP2000

Not correct, Netflix does not offer first run content at a premium, its an SVOD (Subscription Video on Demand) only. This is the same with AppleTV+.

Amazon Prime is a PVOD (Premium Video on Demand also know as Transactional Video on Demand) provider for other studios, Apple iTunes store is the same. For its own content, Amazon Originals, its all included with the subscription at no extra cost, making it also a SVOD. So you get all Amazon Originals with your Prime subscription, not paying any extra, making it like Netflix and AppleTV+ in that regard. So think of Amazon Prime as a hybrid of different VOD models.

And it should be added that Amazon just spent over $500M to produce Rings of Power, which it gave away for free to all Prime subscribers.

Disney+ is an SVOD, not an PVOD. It tried the PVOD experiment with Premier Access, we'll see if Iger brings that back or not. But Disney+ will always be SVOD first and foremost.

Now to add even more complexity into this both Netflix and Disney+ introduced an Ad model. So that should help with offsetting costs as its been reported that at least 25% of all D+ subs will go with the Ad tier.

But the point is that no not every streaming service offers content at a premium.

Yeah, now that I think about it, Netflix doesn’t charge extra for their big stuff. And they make it way too easy to cancel and resubscribe for a month at a time to binge all their big stuff.

I’ve been an Amazon Prime member since it started. And my nephews wife is a VP up at Amazon HQ in Seattle. But I still had to pay five bucks to watch the three year old Ford Vs. Ferrari! No respect for their oldest customers! :mad: 😂

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah, now that I think about it, Netflix doesn’t charge extra for their big stuff. And they make it way too easy to cancel and resubscribe for a month at a time to binge all their big stuff.

I’ve been an Amazon Prime member since it started. And my nieces wife is a VP up at Amazon HQ in Seattle. But I still had to pay five bucks to watch the three year old Ford Vs. Ferrari! No respect for their oldes customers! :mad: 😂
Basically very few of the major players in streaming today charge for their premium content, as that is not how the subscription model works. That is why it was such a novel concept for Disney to try Premier Access during the pandemic. Its also why WB pushing all their movies to premiere on HBO Max for free the same day as releasing in theaters was also a novel concept. Point is that Studios are figuring out the economics and trying different things. The things that work will remain, the things that don't will go away. Again in the end this will benefit us as consumers as it gives us more choice in how we get to consume our content.

Also that $5 you paid for Ford vs Ferrari on Amazon, part of that went to Disney. So Iger thanks you. :)

Phroobar

Now you're talking about quality, and well that is subjective based on the viewer.

I haven't watched it as I wasn't really interested.
I wouldn't attach "quality" to it. It looked amazing but the story had nothing to do with what Tolkien wrote. The acting was so wooden that even Groot could do better. I finished it and started watching Fellowship of the Ring. Much better.

Phroobar

Every little bit helps....
iu

Wendy Pleakley

Went to see it after not caring to, since the trailers were trash. I didnt even know what it was. But went because it was Disney.

LOVED IT, was shocked how enjoyable it was and how into it i got. Sad that poor marketing is going to lead alot of people not to see this.

I'm reporting this post for being off topic as it is a) from someone who has actually seen the movie and b) is about the movie.

;)

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
As you probably know, or maybe you don't, in the US a majority of 20th Century content goes on Hulu. Outside the US all that content goes into D+ under the Star+ banner. Once Disney takes full control of Hulu in 2024 the expected move is for Disney to merge Hulu and D+ to have one uniform experience around the globe.
I think @TP2000 meant 20th Century as in the period of time, not the film unit. Also, Bob Iger, I believe, might have changed his mind on taking the rest of Comcast's Hulu stake, considering that he’s trying to clean up the damage Bob Chapek left behind, as the latter has made Disney lose money.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think @TP2000 meant 20th Century as in the period of time, not the film unit. Also, Bob Iger, I believe, might have changed his mind on taking the rest of Comcast's Hulu stake, considering that he’s trying to clean up the damage Bob Chapek left behind, as the latter has made Disney lose money.
I know exactly what he meant but thanks. Was providing the full landscape of the D+ ecosystem. And if you read the next line I went over the Disney Vault, which is what he was talking about.

Also there is no indication that Iger has "changed his mind" on Hulu as getting full control of Hulu was one of the reasons Iger acquired 21st Century in the first place. Chapek had very little to do with 21 Century acquisition, that was all Iger. So I don't see Iger getting rid of Hulu as its part of his legacy.

TP2000

I think @TP2000 meant 20th Century as in the period of time, not the film unit.

Yes, I did. Thank you! But I was happy to have the conversation meld into the 20th Century Fox catalog of films just to make it sound like I was hip enough to know better, even though I didn't. 🤣

In other news, some industry watchers think the historic failure of Strange World will lead to a shakeup in Burbank.

I am not that optimistic. There's likely finger pointing going on right now (at least there better be!), but the Burbank bosses and work culture seem to be so committed to the institutional failures that lead to disasters like Strange World that I'm not convinced they have the ability or guts to perform an actual shakeup or the rethink that's required.

I've bolded the part in red at the end that I think is wildly optimistic...

"Despite appearing on more theater screens than any other movie in America right now, the marketing for Strange World was oddly nonexistent. Disney is the largest media conglomerate in the world, capable of making any piece of entertainment into a must-see event, yet most people would be forgiven for not knowing Strange World even existed."

I swear on a stack of Mr. Boston's @MisterPenguin that I am not ghost writing articles for this media blog! Referring to the marketing, he used the word "nonexistent" all on his own and without prompting from me! Then he goes on...

"Illumination’s Minions: The Rise of Gru set the bar for all other animated films this year, raking in $369.5 million, while Disney’s other big release, Lightyear, brought in $118 million. Both of those films are part of established franchises, while Strange World is an original IP, though again, the excuses for its performance remain flimsy reasons for the enormous financial loss. Expect to hear about changes being made among Disney executives once the fallout from one of the worst performing Disney films, both financially and critically, results in a blame game."

Last edited:

Willmark

So how was it possible that this flopped with “reported” packed movie theaters and people applauding it in theater?

All kidding aside never heard of the movie until this site.

So how was it possible that this flopped with “reported” packed movie theaters and people applauding it in theater?

All kidding aside never heard of the movie until this site.
I saw the trailer during Lightyea(thumbs down for that flick btw) and it actually looked interesting. But then the inevitable social push came, and like everything Disney puts out these days, it seemed to be pushing an agenda more than making an enjoyable movie. So I didn’t bother with it after that.

Like it or not, Disney has a perception problem. Can they course correct? We’ll see what Bob 1 tries I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom