'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

Phroobar

I would like to see Disney uphold it's tradition of quality. From what this trailer shows, it isn't much better than Skydance Animation's Luck or Netflex's The Sea Beast. The characters even look the same. They even make the same CalArts room number jokes.

This movie is the equivalent to animated fast food which is traditionally NOT Disney. It will crash and burn.

Sir_Cliff

I think that sums up why it looks weird, Disney historically has gone out of their way to make their animated motion pictures look as realistic as possible, now they’re intentionally trying to make them look cartoony. It’s a big difference.

Whether that’s good or bad is personal preference but I’m not a fan.
I think it's a little bit like how you had The Lion King, then Pocahontas had its own style, Hercules another style, Tarzan another, and then The Emperor's New Groove was something else. Some of those films aimed more toward realism than the others, but I don't think that in and of its self made those films better than the films that didn't. The argument could be made that animation should do things that only animated films can do rather than trying to be as close to live action films as possible.

erasure fan1

I think that sums up why it looks weird, Disney historically has gone out of their way to make their animated motion pictures look as realistic as possible, now they’re intentionally trying to make them look cartoony. It’s a big difference.

Whether that’s good or bad is personal preference but I’m not a fan.
At least if you are going to go super cartoony as you say, give it a unique look. Not just a play on what others have done. Going with more of a cartoon look, isn't bad. Just make it your own.

BuddyThomas

I would like to see Disney uphold it's tradition of quality. From what this trailer shows, it isn't much better than Skydance Animation's Luck or Netflex's The Sea Beast. The characters even look the same. They even make the same CalArts room number jokes.

This movie is the equivalent to animated fast food which is traditionally NOT Disney. It will crash and burn.
So many psychics, so little time.

Magenta Panther

AS I HAVE ALREADY SAID MULTIPLE TIMES, I DID NOT LOVE PINOCCHIO. I LOATHED IT. BUT I WAITED FOR IT TO OPEN TO JUDGE IT. MAYBE CAPITAL LETTERS WILL HELP YOU COMPREHEND.

As I mentioned previously, trailers are meant to attract viewers. If the trailer fails to attract some viewers, are you saying that's the viewers' fault?

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
To me it looks very much like the type of animation style used in Blue Sky movies, which I like.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Disney using this style. As long as it connects with audiences out there that is all that matters. The question of will it actually connect remains to be seen and can't be known until its released. Everything else is just personal opinions which only reflect the personal taste of that individual. Meaning that just because you don't like it doesn't mean others will feel the same way.

Magenta Panther

To me it looks very much like the type of animation style used in Blue Sky movies, which I like.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Disney using this style. As long as it connects with audiences out there that is all that matters. The question of will it actually connect remains to be seen and can't be known until its released. Everything else is just personal opinions which only reflect the personal taste of that individual. Meaning that just because you don't like it doesn't mean others will feel the same way.

And vice versa.

Phroobar

So many psychics, so little time.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I not going to cheerlead for a company just because they come out with something new. Disney needs to hold itself to a higher standard and not just look like every other low budget studio out there. This one won't do any better than Raya and the Last Dragon or Encanto and that is a pretty low bar.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And vice versa.
Yes this is true. However it appears, especially recently, that the "dislike" crowd has been trying to shout down everyone else.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is not one right side. If you don't like something cool, but don't try to shout down another poster just because they like it or prefer to wait and see how it is before forming an opinion.

Magenta Panther

Yes this is true. However it appears, especially recently, that the "dislike" crowd has been trying to shout down everyone else.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is not one right side. If you don't like something cool, but don't try to shout down another poster just because they like it or prefer to wait and see how it is before forming an opinion.

It may be true that the "dislike" crowd outnumbers the "like" crowd on this site sometimes, but where did they try to "shout down" everyone else? They're just expressing an opinion. Also, the people in this thread who dislike the Strange World trailer focused on criticizing the trailer.

And look, are you really surprised that people have become a little jaded with Disney lately? A bit wary? I think the dislike has been earned. For my part, I would love to see something from Disney, especially with the parks, that gets me excited. But it's all been pretty disappointing lately. Maybe that will change. The "silly dreamer" part of me still hopes it will. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

BuddyThomas

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I not going to cheerlead for a company just because they come out with something new. Disney needs to hold itself to a higher standard and not just look like every other low budget studio out there. This one won't do any better than Raya and the Last Dragon or Encanto and that is a pretty low bar.
You don't know that yet. Because it has not opened yet.

erasure fan1

And look, are you really surprised that people have become a little jaded with Disney lately? A bit wary? I think the dislike has been earned. For my part, I would love to see something from Disney, especially with the parks, that gets me excited. But it's all been pretty disappointing lately. Maybe that will change. The "silly dreamer" part of me still hopes it will. We'll see.
At this point the ball is in Disneys court. They are the ones that decided to drive down creatively bankrupt lane. I am so past giving them the benefit of the doubt. If something looks mediocre from a trailer, I'm going to assume it's going to be mediocre. Why? Because that's been their track record. And if something turns out good, I'll be first in line to say so.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It may be true that the "dislike" crowd outnumbers the "like" crowd on this site sometimes, but where did they try to "shout down" everyone else?
Just look at any Star Wars related thread ever on this site.....

I know its become en vogue lately to hate on everything Disney, I get it. But I honestly don't think half of it is really deserved. Sure they've made many decisions that fans are not happy with. But I judge by the individual things and not just hate everything and the overall company. Meaning that I can separate my negative feelings for W while still liking X, Y, and Z. Maybe that is harder for some to do, I don't know.

I just think overall we as a community on this site need to do a better job at understanding points of view. You don't like something, cool, I accept that point. But with that acceptance of you also has to come acceptance of someone liking that very same thing. Point is our opinions are not the only one out there, we forget that a lot of time, even me.

And thank you for coming to my TED Talk, be sure to tip your wait staff.

BuddyThomas

You act like you invested money in it or worked on it. It's just a stupid cartoon movie for eight year olds.
No. I act like I am a Disney fan on a Disney board who gives their projects the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. All people want to do on here lately is spout an endless stream of hate toward whatever projects they are doing. If you truly believe that this movie "is just a stupid cartoon for eight year olds", then why are you wasting your time posting here in the first place?

Phroobar

No. I act like I am a Disney fan on a Disney board who gives their projects the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. All people want to do on here lately is spout an endless stream of hate toward whatever projects they are doing. If you truly believe that this movie "is just a stupid cartoon for eight year olds", then why are you wasting your time posting here in the first place?
Because I am a fan of animation. I love great animation and the art behind it. This doesn't define itself from the competition and has a generic Pixar story. It is going to be the ugly Sonic of the Disney animation catalog.

Magenta Panther

Just look at any Star Wars related thread ever on this site.....

I know its become en vogue lately to hate on everything Disney, I get it. But I honestly don't think half of it is really deserved. Sure they've made many decisions that fans are not happy with. But I judge by the individual things and not just hate everything and the overall company. Meaning that I can separate my negative feelings for W while still liking X, Y, and Z. Maybe that is harder for some to do, I don't know.

I just think overall we as a community on this site need to do a better job at understanding points of view. You don't like something, cool, I accept that point. But with that acceptance of you also has to come acceptance of someone liking that very same thing. Point is our opinions are not the only one out there, we forget that a lot of time, even me.

And thank you for coming to my TED Talk, be sure to tip your wait staff.

Who said that anyone here isn't accepting of the opinions of someone who likes something Disney is doing? The attacks here are coming from someone who isn't accepting of those who dislike what Disney is doing. Who directed personal insults at those people. Hence the thread derailment.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom